Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

gently caress me, I borrowed too much happy from today last night and now I'm paying for it. My wife asked me if I'm gripping the counter to stop the room spinning and I said no, I want the room to stop hurting.

Old plant foreman called me up asking if I know how to dye pen parts. I replied that I do. He offered me 4 hours at $50 an hour, cash, to dye pen some parts at his shop :homebrew: I wonder what I'll be working on.

E: some metal science for those interested. Yesterday I ended up etching some Russian titanium 6-4. Normally, the metal from the US is very homogenous and has no visible grain structure when etched. This Russian stuff looks like crystals when cut across the grain and yesterday I cut it with the grain and it looks like muscle tissue. This batch of poo poo titanium has been giving our machinists fits with how unevenly it cuts. It'll push off like crazy in some spots and cut like cheese in others, and we've discovered why. It looks like in the smelting process, they used ingots instead of powdered metals and then didn't mix it very well.

I also had to make my own etchants yesterday. I couldn't do anything to this metal, MP35N with Frys or Kroll's reagents. I had to go to home depot and pick up some HCL and make a mixture of 20mL of that with 4mLof H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). I made a real stupid mistake that thankfully didn't cost me. I added the peroxide to the HCL instead of the other way around. That's how bad loving burns happen, so I got lucky. Do whatcha oughtta, add acid to water.

E2: After puking my guts up, I feel so much better. Have a picture of some funky Ti 6-4 Al, You can barely make out my weld on the left side. .900 depth with a very narrow heat affected zone. I will say, Titanium welds so loving wierd compared to other metals. High nickel alloys are quite a bit easier to figure out how to weld.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress you Taco Bell. Ughhhhhghghgh

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I has a 15 feet boat loaded with 28x 2,50x1,80m roof sheets yesterday. Driving an overloaded boat with fumes on the tank is the best time to realize you forgot to bring extra gas.

Oh well, the weather was Nice and i got som exercise rowing the last two miles or so

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know minis are generally shat upon in AI, but this dealership experience is vastly different/better than any of my dealings with ford, mazda, or chrysler/jeep. It's up there with Mercedes. These guys are nice. Also I had no idea that buying a fairly new, but used, mini means you still get the maintenance free until 36k miles. :stare: They took great care of me when I had my last mini and they got better since then.

I know I'm driving a small car when the interior of my wife's 2 door hardtop mini feels cavernous.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BloodBag posted:

I know minis are generally shat upon in AI, but this dealership experience is vastly different/better than any of my dealings with ford, mazda, or chrysler/jeep. It's up there with Mercedes. These guys are nice. Also I had no idea that buying a fairly new, but used, mini means you still get the maintenance free until 36k miles. :stare: They took great care of me when I had my last mini and they got better since then.

I know I'm driving a small car when the interior of my wife's 2 door hardtop mini feels cavernous.

This is normal because the car is still under it's base warranty

They are only poo poo on for being unreliable. The one I had was a blast to drive and made some wicked noises, I'd consider buying one as a winter beater since they are cheap enough now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ant-Man is very good. 8/10 insects.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nope.. not clicking.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Tommychu posted:

There's no way that's going to be worth what shipping will run you. Definitely look for something closer and/or better.

You say that like these specific tricks are easy to find.

Regular Chevy pickup maybe.

A Loadmaster or 6400? Not so much.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Five Guys.

Ugh. So good.

I'd be so loving fat and broke if I lived within an hour's drive of one.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

88h88 posted:

Five Guys.

Ugh. So good.

i live 5 minutes from three

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm jealous yet not because as I said I'd be fat and broke in no time.

Kinda happy they're miles away as I look forward to the odd one. You got it good though assuming they're the same quality.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm 5 minutes from one. I haven't been there in at least 3 years. Delicious burgers, but drat, they sit like rocks. Sounds damned good, though.

Looks like I'll be able to take a bike path to the nearby one within 2 years. That may make it more attractive.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Heading to the UK today for 3 weeks. The wife is super stoked to see family, I'm super stoked to be in a society where my alcoholism seems normal.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I'm 5 minutes from one. I haven't been there in at least 3 years. Delicious burgers, but drat, they sit like rocks. Sounds damned good, though.

Looks like I'll be able to take a bike path to the nearby one within 2 years. That may make it more attractive.

Yup whenever I get the Cajun fries I get the angry poops directly afterwards

Also it's pricey so I don't go very often :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

88h88 posted:

Five Guys.

Ugh. So good.

You bastard, now I have to take the long way home and pig out on 5 guys.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There's one 20 minutes from home and one 5 minutes from work.

I haven't gained a single pound, slow-metabolism suckaaaaaas :yosbutt:

Actually I think that sounds good for lunch.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

MustardFacial posted:

Heading to the UK today for 3 weeks. The wife is super stoked to see family, I'm super stoked to be in a society where my alcoholism seems normal.

Where abouts are you visiting?

There are many decent pubs all over the place

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

I'm jealous yet not because as I said I'd be fat and broke in no time.

Kinda happy they're miles away as I look forward to the odd one. You got it good though assuming they're the same quality.

There are two within 20 minutes of me. It looks like you have one Chipotle, try that next.

You should just some to America to eat like a fat gently caress, shoot guns, and see a NASCAR or, better yet, dirt track race :911:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
They're popping up like weeds where I am, last time I checked there are at least six within a 15 minute drive from where I live.

I also never understood why they're so popular - sure, it's good but it's basically no different than what you could make at home in a frying pan. I guess their "best burger in X city" marketing campaign succeeded.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They're a whole hell of a lot better than McDonalds or Burger King, and I can go pick it up and still have time to run errands on lunch break. That's about the only reason.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Before catching up on this thread, I went and got a burger from 5Guys. Complete coincidence. It probably helps that there are two both 4.4 miles from work, one 5.6 miles, and a brand-new one that just opened about 2.8 miles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

They're a whole hell of a lot better than McDonalds or Burger King, and I can go pick it up and still have time to run errands on lunch break. That's about the only reason.

I understand that angle, I'm just surprised they're able to sustain the market saturation they have.

Maybe if I didn't live in one of the seven cities that claims to be the birthplace of the hamburger (Akron, OH) it would be different. I can throw a stone and hit four or five burger restaurants without even trying.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

Ayup.

I don't have one ~anywhere~ near me, but I have a local summer-only diner that does a greasy burg even better than 5 Guys, and instead of fries, I get a giant box of onion rings.
So good.

I don't go there often, I'm fat enough.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

Five Guys.

Ugh. So good.

How does it compare to the handmade burger company?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Five guys is the poo poo. Too many chips though. Dundee is going to be the third city in Scotland to get one, cannae wait.

We already have the first Project Pie in the UK, went there last Friday and it was cheap and tasty. Good selection of American beers too, although PBR tastes like hobo piss.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

stump posted:

Good selection of American beers too, although PBR tastes like hobo piss.

PBR isn't good beer. PBR is the beer hardcore alcoholics buy when they're too broke to afford even Keystone or Natty Light. College students bought the stuff because they were poor, and then got all smug about drinking it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
PBR is trash

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cakefool posted:

How does it compare to the handmade burger company?

Handmade burger company overcomplicate things. Burgers aren't difficult yet they somehow manage to not get them right, it's because they're 'gourmet' which to me is another word for wanky. loving 'artisan' burgers.

Five Guys is like the ultimate fast food burger, super simple but the ingredients are really high quality so they taste amazing.

SFH1989 posted:

There are two within 20 minutes of me. It looks like you have one Chipotle, try that next.

You should just some to America to eat like a fat gently caress, shoot guns, and see a NASCAR or, better yet, dirt track race :911:

I've hit the US a good few times, each time I've put on weight. 10lbs in 10 days once time but we hit up every single food place we could find.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

rndmnmbr posted:

PBR isn't good beer. PBR is the beer hardcore alcoholics buy when they're too broke to afford even Keystone or Natty Light.

Don't forget hipsters who like to play the "it's so bad that it's good" card.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
PBR is a beer. It has qualities and shortcomings.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cage posted:

PBR is a beer. It has qualities and shortcomings.

For cheap bear, I prefer Miller High Life. It's the champagne of beers.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

High Life will forever be Indian beer to me. Fond memories of hooning around Oklahoma dirt roads with a bunch of Cheyenne-Arapahoe, getting trashed on High Life.

PBR is what we bought when we couldn't afford High Life. $3.50/12 pack in 90's dollars.

e. And Marlboro Reds for $2.25 a pack "Ultra Buy" cigs for $1.35/pack.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

PBR isn't good beer. PBR is the beer hardcore alcoholics buy when they're too broke to afford even Keystone or Natty Light. College students bought the stuff because they were poor, and then got all smug about drinking it.

I find it to be the least offensive cheap beer flavor wise, it's great once I'm already four or five deep on something that doesn't taste like my armpit.

If you think PBR is bad you should try Mountain Brew.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Depending on where you go here you can pay £4.50/$6~ forca PBR to wash down your lovely bbq joint food. Reds in Leeds is wank FYI. PBR isn't terrible though, just not great.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Not really sure this is the right place to bring this up but can't see a better option. So I'm buying a new car (not looking for a recommendation - already set on my two options) and one thing that drove me nuts was when reviewers would call out subjective performance ratings and I just couldn't understand what the hell they were talking about. Not from a technical aspect, but from a feeling perspective. I went looking for cars between 20 and 30k (US) with one of two goals: Something I could potentially take to a track and learn how to drive in that setting and have some fun with it that didn't sacrifice everything for the goal (such as a Miata or BRZ/FRS), or a comfortable pure daily driver style car. With that in mind, getting the "enthusiast" point of view was important to me so I paid attention to it.

The problem I ran into is a lot of articles and videos would toss around vague terms like "holding a/the line" or talk about how a ride was firmer or toss out vague "handling is better/worse". Okay, but none of that meant anything to me. Maybe it's just a case that I haven't driven cars that you would care about those kind of things (my history is primarily compact or mid-size non-performance based sedans), nor do I have a history of racing on a track or finding isolated windy roads where I can break the speed limit without too much risk. When I drove a VW Golf GTI, a Subaru WRX, or a Ford ST variant I could understand the power difference and the minor differences in something like body roll, noise, how much feedback the electrical steering gave (if applicable), and stuff like that. About the only thing I could make any sense of was the feel of the car over a bumpy stretch of road and how much the car leaned into a sharp or fast turn. However at the end of the day driving them was no different than driving a regular Impreza, Mazda 3, VW Golf TSI/TDI once you got past the ability for it to get up to highway speeds quicker.

I guess what is bugging me is that I don't understand either how to tell the difference or if the whole "enthusiast" spiel is just wishful thinking and hot air at that price point (maybe I need to find a way to test drive a Golf R or something like that). Either that or maybe I need to abandon the idea of picking up a car I could do some low level non-competitive autocross/track fun because I'm just not that kind of person. Am I making any sense?

Edit:
My actual question is, assuming there is something to an enthusiast car versus a more traditional model at the 20-30k price point, how do I get to a point where I can understand that difference?

nessin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 17, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nessin posted:

Edit:
My actual question is, assuming there is something to an enthusiast car versus a more traditional model at the 20-30k price point, how do I get to a point where I can understand that difference?

If you drive a variety of cars and the enthusiast models don't do anything for you then don't buy it.

nessin posted:

maybe I need to abandon the idea of picking up a car I could do some low level non-competitive autocross/track fun because I'm just not that kind of person. Am I making any sense?

If you don't do HPDE events or Autocross and you don't notice a big difference on the street it seems completely impractical to get an "enthusiast" vehicle. But I'm someone who's extremely cheap so YMMV. If you get the itch you can usually rent at the track (spec miatas are usually avail. for rent around here), co-drive someone else's car at the autocross, or go out and buy a used NA Miata or something as a weekend/autocross/track car.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 17, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
PBR has, for be, been supplanted by Hamm's: the piss of choice 'round these parts. 30-packa-Hamm's is on the schedule for today cuz I'm broke and would like to drink beer. 30 cans from the land of sky blue waters for ~$14. Hell yes.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

freelop posted:

Where abouts are you visiting?

There are many decent pubs all over the place

I'll be in London (Hayes specifically) for 3 days with my cousin, then we're going to Leicester to see the in-laws, then Manchester for my wife's best friend's wedding, then back to Leicester, then Hayes, then back home.

We go to the UK about once every 1.5 years or so to visit family. In all the times I've been there I've always wanted to go to the tank museum in Dorset but have never had a chance to because we have to visit family.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Nodoze posted:

PBR is trash

I will fight all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pbr is yank special brew then eh? I never knew that

• Locked thread