Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
You have eight balls and a set of scales. Seven of the balls weigh identically, the eighth is heavier. Using the fewest steps possible, how do you find the heavy ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ok

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

rakovsky maybe posted:

You have eight balls and a set of scales. Seven of the balls weigh identically, the eighth is heavier. Using the fewest steps possible, how do you find the heavy ball?

Tell an intern to handle it, I have important work to do.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
wow balls huh, nice misogyny -- you'll be hearing from my tumblr

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Tell an intern to handle it, I have important work to do.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
not doing your homework bitch

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008
I can name that tune in three notes

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Vice president of balls

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Split them in half and put on scale, then split heavier half again. Then once more. Easy.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

step 1: weigh all the balls

there, solved

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Put the balls in your mouth

the heavier one will go into your stomach

duh

oh theres a scale?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
"open the window please"

*window cant be opened*

What do you do??

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

Split them in half and put on scale, then split heavier half again. Then once more. Easy.

Wrong, there is a way to do it in two steps rather than three. You do not get the job and end up a vagrant who starves to death.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Imagine eight balls on the edge of a cliff

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
code:
1. ooo/ooo  oø
2.          o/ø

1.     ooo/ooø     oo
2. ooo     o/ø o   oo 

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
the one without tom brady's stank on it is the heavy one lmbo

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

rakovsky maybe posted:

Wrong, there is a way to do it in two steps rather than three. You do not get the job and end up a vagrant who starves to death.
Oops, yeah you can weigh 6 at a time and eliminate a step.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
the heavier one will leave a slightly deeper dent in the wall on the way out.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
>cast enlarge satab

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

rakovsky maybe posted:

the heavier ball is going to be visually different.

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe
ud think theyd want an answer that can generalize to any arbitrary number of balls:

1.) put them in op's mom's mouth
2.) ask her which one is heaviest

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Turret posted:

code:
1. ooo/ooo  oø
2.          o/ø

1.     ooo/ooø     oo
2. ooo     o/ø o   oo 

yea

might take a third step if you get unlucky here though: o/ø o

because you'll have to figure out which of the two is weighted more unless I'm mistaken.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Insert them all into your anus, jump up and down for a bit, the First one you poop out is heaviest, because Science.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

yea

because you'll have to figure out which of the two is weighted more unless I'm mistaken.

nah, when you have 3 balls (one of the heavy ones was in one of the initial sets of 3) you weigh 2 , if they're equal the third ball is the heavy one if they are not equal then the heavy one is the heavy one, it's one step either way.

Sensible_Psycho
Sep 8, 2006

Without me, it's just aweso.
Pick them up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

nah, when you have 3 balls (one of the heavy ones was in one of the initial sets of 3) you weigh 2 , if they're equal the third ball is the heavy one if they are not equal then the heavy one is the heavy one, it's one step either way.

oh duh that's right

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

yea

either the scales balance which means it's the odd ball or they don't which lets you identify the heavier ball that way. still two steps

neat question

edit: cool

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Is Goldman mostly nerds or psychos?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

yea

No
code:
      ____------ 
     |    |    \o/
 o \ø/    |

------------- 
   \o/    |    \o/
 ø        |

------_____ 
   \o/    |     |
 o        |    \ø/

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
My method can be improved by liberally lubing your browneye and the surfaces within.
otoh, we are talking about G.S. here, need I say more?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I saw o/ø o and didn't realize you just weigh 2 and figure it out based on that result and like a retard I missed the extra space and saw 'weigh the set of 3 with 1 ball against 2.'

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Is the one ball heavier because its golden, like a gold mansack?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
After some quick google'ing it looks like you 3 steps:

1) Pick one of the balls at random and use it to bludgeon the interviewer to death.

2) Eat their heart thus gaining their strength, entire worldly possessions, and most importantly position in the company.

3) if the position you were going for is preferable than the one the interviewer had, as the new official interviewer give yourself that job. If not keep your current newly occurred interviewer job.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think it'd be really funny to design a puzzle like this where there was no actual clever solution. Like here you're supposed to immediately see the 'keep dividing the set in 2 and remove the lighter set' approach that results in 3 steps and from there you are supposed to realize there is a less obvious way to do it in fewer steps so you look for it and eventually come up with 3 and 3 trick but like it'd be great if there were a similar puzzle where there wasn't actually a way to do it better than the obvious solution and it just made people waste time looking for one.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Platinum pubes.
Edit for more substance: no one is arguing my method yet, proof of its obvious superiority,
also gives the interviewer something to think on: if you can solve problems with your rear end, just think what your brain can do.

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 17, 2015

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
time works the same way

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Congrats to Beef Turret! We'd like to offer him the position. The rest of you can go starve, poors.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this is all a hypothetical exercise anyway since we all know goldman sachs hires based on your ability to gently caress over thousands of people for a quarter point stock bump and also your ability to have been born with the right connections

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Reading that 101 interview questions book paid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

did the balls touch at any point

• Locked thread