Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Bruceski posted:

Does BR's even have the mango blast? Thought that was Taco Bell.

Man, don't spoil the Cyclops cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from Ant-Man, it's that Hydra is only slightly worse than Baskin Robbins.

That is a really weird use of product placement.

Baskin Robbins don't play around.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just saw Ant-Man and Michael Peņa loving owned every second he was in.

God drat this movie is the funnest one yet. Way better than Guardians and Avengers 2.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I thought Ant Man was pretty great, and I think it's a solid example of why Marvel is doing better than DC, they aren't afraid to make their movies comic book as gently caress

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Just got back from Ant-man and it was really good. After all the behind the scenes issues, I was expecting passable at best, but it really blew me away. Aside from Guardians, it might be my favorite Marvel Studios flick yet. I hope Spiderman aims for the same tone; the jokes were solid, and the action was fun.

There were definitely some shaky bits in the middle but otherwise I really liked it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, just realized there's a fist print in Batman's armor in the trailer for the BvS movie.

It's when he stomps on Superman and they go through the window, and it cuts to him falling.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Just got back from seeing Ant-man, agreed that it was fun and it's actually worth seeing in 3d in my opinion for the shrinking scenes. End credits spoilers:

A few weeks ago the rumor was that Spiderman was going to be in one of the after credits scenes and that did not happen but I liked how they referenced him in the last scene where Michael Pena is relaying the story about the Asian woman speaking to Falcon. And I don't get why some people were mad saying the final credit scene had nothing to do with the movie; when Falcon says "I know a guy" he's pretty obviously talking about Ant-Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ant-Man has lots of laughs, lots of heart, lots of action, great movie. And I love how someone finally says "Dude, call the Avengers".

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ant-Man was great. The cast was fun and the movie was funny. Michael Douglas was a badass. Corey Stoll does a great job as an unhinged villian. Michael Pena was a showstealer, like everyone says. Didn't care for Hope's character, but I think that's kinda the point. Paul Rudd was good and his daughter was adorable, you really want to root for the guy. There were actually a few horrific scenes, and some crazy existential poo poo that I really really enjoyed. It really upped the stakes. My wife thought the ants were gross and kept cringing at them. I thought they were adorable, especially the crazy ants.

anyway most importantly, they made Ant-Man and his powers really loving cool. I can't wait to see what they do with the characters next.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Was there a second post credit scene? I left after the mid credits one.

Overall, I liked Ant-Man. You could feel some tonal difference from Wright's script (everything about Scott's bodies was amazing, Peņa being the standout). My only complaint was the villain development. I know this is pretty common in all Marvel films sans Loki but I felt like there was a really great story around Cross' desire for approval from Pym for his genius that was severely underserved. Hope's line about the Pym particles messing with his head was a great example of how they left too much of that up to exposition. Stroll, I think, did great, and I just wish I could have seen more of his descent. Or of his normal - we basically meet him when he's already obviously bitter with any clear display of what drives him deeper into his madness. Still, I really liked it and especially thought the whole cast was great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Buddington posted:

when Falcon says "I know a guy" he's pretty obviously talking about Ant-Man.

My problem with that scene is that it's a less clever version of the final Louis montage.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

WHOOPS posted:

Was there a second post credit scene? I left after the mid credits one.

Yes, but it wasn't much. Cap and Falcon exploring a warehouse, they find Winter Soldier wither trapped in some machinery or just beat up, I couldn't tell. "This would have been a lot simpler a week ago." "If we tell Stark..." "The *something* Corps probably wouldn't let him do anything. We can't tell him." "Then we're alone in this." "Wait... I know a guy." Cut to text of ANT-MAN WILL RETURN.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Ant-Man is a good movie, it had a few rough parts where the movie seemed barely stitched together, but overall was funny and fantastic. I liked it more than Guardians, personally, but then Guardians didn't have adorable cgi ants.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The ants were actualy filmed in many cases, and CGI was used to make ants look way less terrifying that big.

http://i.imgur.com/550Vv94.jpg

It's the little hairs.

And the word everyone's missing the after credits bit is Accords. Steve says something about the Accords not letting Stark do something

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

And the word everyone's missing the after credits bit is Accords. Steve says something about the Accords not letting Stark do something

So it's probably too soon to speculate but I'm guessing Black Panther calls for a superhero style Geneva convention (because of the Hulk incident in A2) and Tony plays ball while Cap doesn't.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
It was fun to find out that the car The Joker drives in SSS was built right next to me in St. Petersburg. For anyone interested it is based on a G35 chasis. I may make a trip there and get some photos of it when it returns.

Also, Ant-Man was great.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Apparently the Wright script had far less Hope, and no Janet at all. So one reason she may feel underdeveloped is that they were writing her in shortly before and maybe during filming, and creating that whole dynamic between her and Pym.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Bruceski posted:

Does BR's even have the mango blast? Thought that was Taco Bell.
Taco Bell had it, but Baskin Robbins always finds out.

I saw it again last night, one thing I loved was the really trademark Wright scenes where Pena is telling his story, and it's cutting to other people who are mouthing the lines. That poo poo is my jam.

Also I don't know why people are saying that the post-credits scene is from Civil War when it's obviously set up for it. The only bad thing is we obviously won't get to see any of the Great Bucky Hunt.

Also one last Ant-Man spoiler, I love Falcon's "It's really important to me that Cap doesn't find out about this". Anthony Mackie is brilliant.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 18, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

irlZaphod posted:

Taco Bell had it, but Baskin Robbins always finds out.

I saw it again last night, one thing I loved was the really trademark Wright scenes where Pena is telling his story, and it's cutting to other people who are mouthing the lines. That poo poo is my jam.

Also I don't know why people are saying that the post-credits scene is from Civil War when it's obviously set up for it. The only bad thing is we obviously won't get to see any of the Great Bucky Hunt.

Also one last Ant-Man spoiler, I love Falcon's "It's really important to me that Cap doesn't find out about this". Anthony Mackie is brilliant.

Feige literally said its a scene from Civil War, how early who knows but it was originally filmed for CW

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
1. Evangeline Lily is awesome.
2. Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas really make this work.
3. The scope, scale of the small scenes was really good.
4. Michael Pena owns an should be on the Avengers. A singular punch can knock out anyone and I have no idea what he was playing or going for but whatever it was owned. Or gently caress it, just dub Cap 3 with his dialog as everyone mouths it.
5. The last scene is the best scene in the movie. Seriously.
6. Should have been Sam Rockwell as the villain.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Micheal Pena should be the Avengers' new intel guy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Have him take over for Fury. Michael Pena, Agent of Shield

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If Cap and Falcon are running underground and outside the law, Scott's team would perfectly fit into that story line in Cap 3.

I loved every moment Douglas was on screen. The biggest question of the movie is how does Dominic Cooper turn into John Slatterly?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gatts posted:

4. Michael Pena owns an should be on the Avengers. A singular punch can knock out anyone and I have no idea what he was playing or going for but whatever it was owned. Or gently caress it, just dub Cap 3 with his dialog as everyone mouths it.

"Welcome to the Avengers, Mr... um, Luis. We should probably get you a codename."

"Just call me by my last name, man: Saitama."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Those scenes were actually Peyton Reed's idea.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

The biggest question of the movie is how does Dominic Cooper turn into John Slatterly?

It's great that they've stuck with that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man is loving fantastic.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

howe_sam posted:

It's great that they've stuck with that.

Hollywood secret: Slattery is really just Cooper in age makeup. You've never seen them together have you?!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Ant-Man is only behind the Cap movies in my favorite Marvel movies. There are other Marvel movies that might be better but I'm not sure there's any I just flat out enjoyed watching more. It really was a delight.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Man, Michael Douglas was fantastic as Hank Pym. That was probably, legitimately the best incarnation of that character. Just wanna watch a whole movie of Hank Pym getting pissy, ranting about Stark and punching dudes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pena said in an interview he based Luis on a guy he knew named Paco who acted exactly like that, just smiling all the time

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Ant-Man was... charming? Inconsequential, though. Last time Marvel went light-hearted palette cleanser they also spent half the drat movie setting up Thanos and the Infinity Gems, and everything else is so continuity happy that's it's actually really weird to watch a Marvel movie that just does its own thing and doesn't set up anything or have any ramifications.

That post-credits scene though :stare:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ant Man ruled.

Hands down best scene: "That's one messed up looking dog!"
Holy poo poo :laffo:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An important thing to remember about that bad Apocalypse image is that they've barely begun filming and there's plenty of time to monkey with the costume.

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER
Apparently there's an Easter egg when he goes through the Quantum Realm. Anyone catch it?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

hohoh0 posted:

Apparently there's an Easter egg when he goes through the Quantum Realm. Anyone catch it?

I hope it's Scott Carey.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hohoh0 posted:

I hope it's Dr. Sam Beckett.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bruceski posted:

It's quite good, but try to arrive late enough to skip the short if you can, that thing will NEVER get out of your head.

I can't believe you warned me about that and not the gum commercial.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe you warned me about that and not the gum commercial.

Well you can't avoid the gum commercial, being that it is a part of the movie itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

NotALizardman posted:

Man, Michael Douglas was fantastic as Hank Pym. That was probably, legitimately the best incarnation of that character. Just wanna watch a whole movie of Hank Pym getting pissy, ranting about Stark and punching dudes.

I'd really liked the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon version, where he was a die hard pacifist and just wanted to do Science instead of being a superhero, but honestly Douglas' Pym was fantastic. He reminded me a lot of Stark (both), honestly. A genius who knows exactly how genius he is and is perfectly happy to bluntly tell the world, the big difference being that Stark (both) seems to lean more towards showing off while Pym was more about putting down others.

Also they did a drat good job of addressing Pym's love of hitting people.

• Locked thread