Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sout posted:

I've always had a twin CPU cooler on my PC, I think this one

I'm not necessarily looking to change it, but typically I've seen most other coolers be much smaller and generally they only have one fan. Is there a real reason to have a twin fan cooler?

Yes; more cooling. It's not twice as much but it's more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

sout posted:

I've always had a twin CPU cooler on my PC, I think this one

I'm not necessarily looking to change it, but typically I've seen most other coolers be much smaller and generally they only have one fan. Is there a real reason to have a twin fan cooler?

I've seen some good results of using a pressure optimized fan pushing + an AIR FLOW optimized fan pulling, gives better results vs pressure optimized fan pushing + pressure optimized fan pulling, but in both cases more fans = better.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I remember thinking I was loving something up when I was trying to lock my 2500K into my motherboard during my last build. I kept thinking "there's no loving way I'm supposed to be putting this much pressure on the locking bar," because I was trying to be extremely careful to not bend any pins beneath. But evidently I did it right because the chip's been purring like a kitten for over three years at 4.4Ghz.

Did it also make that horrible grinding crunching noise like you're crunching some grains of sands in a bench vice? I felt like a bomb technician on his first day at work using help from loving Google results.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Talking about pressure optimized airflows, is there a reason why CPU fans don't have stators? Well, there's that single fan model from Noctua that has some, but that's about it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Talking about pressure optimized airflows, is there a reason why CPU fans don't have stators? Well, there's that single fan model from Noctua that has some, but that's about it.

I'm no expert but maybe the tolerances would have to be a lot tighter to make use of that. I feel like if you used staters the back pressure caused would just limit airflow too much.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VelociBacon posted:

Can anyone confirm that the Haswell refresh processors and specifically the i7 4790k are capable of idling at vcores of 0.16v? I've been doing some fine tuning of an overclock with c-state/speedstep stuff and was surprised to notice it so low. It's been stable and everything but I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct label and not the wrong voltage.

This is right, Haswell C6/C7 reduces core voltage below .2V. This is why most PSUs weren't compatible with Haswell at launch.

http://www.techspot.com/news/52423-most-power-supplies-wont-support-haswells-c6-c7-low-power-states.html

If you want to read some about C-states, in C6 its within spec for the VCore to go all the way to 0V:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cpu-c-states-power-saving-modes/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know how you normally have to *force* new Intel chipset drivers to install on your system, especially if you're using an older board like my Z68?

These didn't do that: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/intel-chipset-software-installation-10-1-1-8-whql-download.html

New USB Host Controller drivers, PCI Express Controller Driver, PCI Express Root Port drivers, SMBus controller drivers, Z68 LPC Interface Controller driver...

...I don't know what half of this poo poo is, but so far, so good. They were a bit of a 'scary' install, though - since they upgrade your USB host controller, you'll have a period where everything's locked up, and you will/might get a black screen before they're done installing.

EDIT: Though when you do examine the PCI Express Controller and Root Port drivers, they still point to pci.sys.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 14, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Ah Intel drivers :allears:
If you ever need to install their USB 3.0 driver on Win7, right click the exe first and uncheck the "this file came from a remote computer" thing. Otherwise you'll get a security warning every time you login/reboot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Since we sometimes chat about the tech aspects of silicon manufacturing, here's a short series of clips from Intel on some subsets of manufacturing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5iWzsztdc&list=PLk2sjg_-F-MdmK3dNoiIvtLeoRkWiCM_-&index=1

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

EDIT: Though when you do examine the PCI Express Controller and Root Port drivers, they still point to pci.sys.

That's because Windows already knows to load PCI.sys for that device. All the Intel inf file is really doing is providing a human readable device name. Many of the devices in the inf file don't load any drivers at all.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Show me the money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What the hell does is other?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tab8715 posted:

shorting AMD stock probably

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tab8715 posted:

Paying licensing fees to the aliens.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Maybe Intel Custom Foundry? I'm not sure if that would fall under any of the other groups.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tab8715 posted:

edit:

Our operating segment results shown above are comprised of the following:

quote:

Client Computing Group : Includes platforms designed for the notebook (including Ultrabook™ devices), 2 in 1 systems, the desktop (including all-in-ones and high-end enthusiast PCs), tablets, and smartphones; wireless and wired connectivity products; as well as mobile communication components.

Data Center Group : Includes server, network, and storage platforms designed for enterprise, cloud, communications infrastructure, and technical computing segments.

Internet of Things Group : Includes platforms designed for embedded market segments including retail, transportation, industrial, and buildings and home, along with a broad range of other market segments.

Software and services operating segments : Includes software and hardware products for endpoint security, network and content security, risk and compliance, and consumer and mobile security from our McAfee business, and software products and services that promote Intel architecture as the platform of choice for software development.

All other category includes revenue, expenses, and charges such as:

results of operations from our Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group and New Devices Group;

amounts included within restructuring and asset impairment charges;

a portion of profit-dependent compensation and other expenses not allocated to the operating segments;

divested businesses for which discrete operating results are not regularly reviewed by our CODM;

results of operations of start-up businesses that support our initiatives, including our foundry business; and

acquisition-related costs, including amortization and any impairment of acquisition-related intangibles and goodwill.

A substantial majority of our revenue is generated from the sale of platforms. Platforms incorporate various components and technologies, including a microprocessor and chipset, a stand-alone SoC, or a multichip package. Our remaining primary product lines are incorporated in "other."

So it sounds like Other is probably mostly SSD dollars

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 16, 2015

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Cannonlake delayed 6 months, will launch in the latter half of 2017 according to Mr Krzanich.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

canyoneer posted:

Since we sometimes chat about the tech aspects of silicon manufacturing, here's a short series of clips from Intel on some subsets of manufacturing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5iWzsztdc&list=PLk2sjg_-F-MdmK3dNoiIvtLeoRkWiCM_-&index=1

Neat!

I totally would buy a Silicon Wafer to mount on my wall. They look awesome! I wonder how much a single wafer costs?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Probably quite a bit, considering there seems to be over 50 cpus on there. I'd try dumpster diving for some defective ones.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
10 to 30 bucks on ebay. Search for "wafer" :)

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

mobby_6kl posted:

Probably quite a bit, considering there seems to be over 50 cpus on there. I'd try dumpster diving for some defective ones.

They generally recycle wafers if they're bad, whether in house or to somewhere else that purifies things back out. In either case they break them into itty bits so no one can reverse engineer stuff.

My friend's dad had him for a take your child to work day at IBM and he spent an hour just smashing old wafers. Like $50,000 a piece

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welmu posted:

Cannonlake delayed 6 months, will launch in the latter half of 2017 according to Mr Krzanich.

Bleh.

I'm really looking for an excuse to upgrade from Sandy Bridge but it's just not happening for a while.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Welmu posted:

Is this the same delay that brought us Kaby Lake and they're just late in reporting it?

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is this the same delay that brought us Kaby Lake and they're just late in reporting it?

I think so. As I recall the first reports were just rumor and speculation. This is just Intel officially stating that the delay is happening.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Having not paid attention to new CPUs for a while, but looking to build something once the 6th gen comes out, what happens to previous gen prices when new CPUs come out? Seems like I'd save on the motherboard and RAM prices on the older stuff as well if the two are close enough in processing power.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They don't fall much because everyone has figured out when to stop producing old stuff so supply dries up at retail right when they're ready to ship their next generation. It's usually best to buy right when a generation shifts. Usually price drops only happen when there's a surprise from competition and they're forced to respond.

Unless you're looking at used, there will be tons of people upgrading and selling their old stuff for 50-100 off retail.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Drunk Badger posted:

Having not paid attention to new CPUs for a while, but looking to build something once the 6th gen comes out, what happens to previous gen prices when new CPUs come out? Seems like I'd save on the motherboard and RAM prices on the older stuff as well if the two are close enough in processing power.

Intel never drops prices directly on old stuff. New stuff will come out, be the same price as the old stuff (Or within 10$ or so), and that's that. Eventually the old stuff will go up in price as it's not made any longer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Micro Center really drives any price drop on new Intel chips. They've got enough of them spread out around the country that despite being 'smallish,' they can still bully Newegg and even Amazon around a bit on computer components.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

When trying to remove the 4670T from my B85 board, I let it tap the LGA pins and they bended. I then tried to unbend them and then pulled them off instead. Good thing it only cost $50!

:downsgun:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Crap like that is why I dislike LGA's to this day. At least if you bent a pin on a P4 or AMD chip you could just use a mechanical pencil with the lead removed to carefully bend it back in place. Worked most every time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Crap like that is why I dislike LGA's to this day. At least if you bent a pin on a P4 or AMD chip you could just use a mechanical pencil with the lead removed to carefully bend it back in place. Worked most every time.
Was the decision mainly to move pin costs to the motherboard manufacturers?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Josh Lyman posted:

Was the decision mainly to move pin costs to the motherboard manufacturers?

Much lower inductance, needed to drive a good signal at lower voltages.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That was the reason given but AMD has been able to do pretty well with 'regular' sockets for quite a long time now so I'm not sure how necessary it really was to do it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That was the reason given but AMD has been able to do pretty well with 'regular' sockets for quite a long time now so I'm not sure how necessary it really was to do it.

Given AMD's current state and performance I'm not sure I'd say they were doing fine with their current sockets.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

AMD chips, known for their excellent low power/low voltage operations :v:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
LGA 775 started with Prescott and Smithfield, which had quite possibly the worst power-efficiency of any Intel CPU in history. I think people are kidding themselves if they think the primary reason was anything but to shift the issue of damaged pin damage to MBs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The thermal paste was like this on my 4670t for over a year.

Due to the amount of thermal paste spillage I'm never following Cooler Master's instructions ever again

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Geez, that's definitely way too much.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Given AMD's current state and performance I'm not sure I'd say they were doing fine with their current sockets.

Gwaihir posted:

AMD chips, known for their excellent low power/low voltage operations :v:
Is bus power usage the main reason for AMD's high CPU power draw, low performance, and heat though? I thought that was more due to their CPU design and the processes they are stuck with. Switching to LGA certainly didn't help the P4 much if at all in terms of power usage, nor did it improve CPU performance, though it was accredited with helping to dissipate heat somewhat better. If you have a paper by all means link it.

GokieKS posted:

I think people are kidding themselves if they think the primary reason was anything but to shift the issue of damaged pin damage to MBs.
I strongly believe this is true but I don't have any real proof and I don't think anyone else does either unfortunately. I know the mobo vendors complained bitterly about it though when LGA775 was first introduced.

edit: OK sorry, hard to tell these days\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 19, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It was just a joke. Even if pins on the socket side allow a lower input voltage it's not like any particular chip design is required to use it, and changing which side the pins are on obviously isn't going to do anything to power use all by itself.

I think at this point it's even sorta moot since the voltage regulators moved on to the chip itself with.. Ivy Bridge? I don't remember when intel started using their fully integrated voltage regulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gwaihir posted:

It was just a joke. Even if pins on the socket side allow a lower input voltage it's not like any particular chip design is required to use it, and changing which side the pins are on obviously isn't going to do anything to power use all by itself.

I think at this point it's even sorta moot since the voltage regulators moved on to the chip itself with.. Ivy Bridge? I don't remember when intel started using their fully integrated voltage regulators.

Haswell. Haswell's got the FIVR.

... :v: