Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that the film Titanic wasn't titled "Watership Down?"

Well, now I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that the film Titanic wasn't titled "Watership Down?"

lol

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

:captainpop:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, just spoil the ending right there in the title, that's a great idea.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Cheers for the mecha/kaiju recommendations, I"ll take a look at Last Stand. A little surprised it was pulled from DTRPG and stuff. Wasn't it a successful goon kickstarter? I usually follow hilarious kickstarter drama but have no idea whats happened.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Cheers for the mecha/kaiju recommendations, I"ll take a look at Last Stand. A little surprised it was pulled from DTRPG and stuff. Wasn't it a successful goon kickstarter? I usually follow hilarious kickstarter drama but have no idea whats happened.

It wasn't really pulled as in "taken down never to see the light of day again," Mikan decided to make it available for free download so pretty much anyone can have a copy if they want now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Mikan was basically harassed out of both the industry and the hobby.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mikan was basically harassed out of both the industry and the hobby.

Why?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A combination of:

1) Being a poster here (particularly in grognards.txt, although she stopped when FunHaver started).
2) Drawing the ire of a few Noted Industry Douchebags.
3) Trying to make non-traditional, inclusive gaming products.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
With all the horrible, inexcusable stuff that happened to Mikan (not that there weren't entirely too many people willing to make excuses for it), the part about people actually griping that Last Stand has a black woman on the cover is almost funny.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Guilty Spork posted:

With all the horrible, inexcusable stuff that happened to Mikan (not that there weren't entirely too many people willing to make excuses for it), the part about people actually griping that Last Stand has a black woman on the cover is almost funny.

Holy god who in the gently caress said this

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Holy god who in the gently caress said this

Mikan related the story on RPGnet back when the Last Stand Kickstarter was still going and she was cross-promoting it over there. I think it might actually have just after the books went out now that I think about it. Either way some people were complimenting the cover art and Mikan mentioned that yeah, she was pretty proud of it, but that I think it was like a friend or acquaintance of hers had said something like "Yeah it's a good cover, but I mean are you sure you want a black woman on the cover of your game? That might put people off. Maybe you should change it?"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it wasn't a friend, it was some poster concern trolling

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

it wasn't a friend, it was some poster concern trolling

It was a while ago so I'm probably getting details wrong. Either way it was pretty dumb.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Kai Tave posted:

It wasn't really pulled as in "taken down never to see the light of day again," Mikan decided to make it available for free download so pretty much anyone can have a copy if they want now.

While that was incredibly generous, the rest sounds super depressing.

Guilty Spork posted:

Thats just inexcusable. Reminds me of just how inclusive FFG products are in terms of cover art.

Also Last Stand has bitching cover art.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
That reminds me; I bought the starter set for Infinity miniatures without realizing that nobody around town plays it. The models are a good size for a tabletop RPG though, so does anyone know of a decent sci-fi themed RPG that is fairly simple? Preferably something that can be taught over an afternoon and has a good gameplay pace.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Siivola posted:

Isn't there a goon who's in the gaming store business? I remember someone posting about their shop a year or two ago.

Dr. Clockwork runs one!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

A combination of:

1) Being a poster here (particularly in grognards.txt, although she stopped when FunHaver started).
2) Drawing the ire of a few Noted Industry Douchebags.
3) Trying to make non-traditional, inclusive gaming products.
Well no it wasn't just a few noted industry douchebags. It was everyone in the industry interjecting themselves into a conversation that they shouldn't have talked about. I want to say that Fred Hicks threw a temper tantrum over this issue too but its been so long I don't remember the specifics.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, I may have just tanked a chance to work on the upcoming TORG reboot/reissue/whateverit'sgonnabe.

So there's that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, I may have just tanked a chance to work on the upcoming TORG reboot/reissue/whateverit'sgonnabe.

So there's that.

:( :( :( I know that you really wanted this to happen - sorry to hear that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

:( :( :( I know that you really wanted this to happen - sorry to hear that.
Well, I don't know for certain. I'm just kind of assuming due to circumstances of the conversation I had with a friend who's working on the project where he asked me what genre I felt was underrepresented, and the topic of my feelings on the old system came up.

I don't even know if it was a chance to work on it in the first place; I'm just assuming because my friend keeps trying to get me working in the industry more.

I'm just assuming the worst due to my general pessimism.

e: Basically there's going to be some sort of announcement about TORG tomorrow, and a lot of people have been teasing pics of Torg dice set to "2016", so whatever happens I'll know more tomorrow.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Good luck!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was looking for a good image of a Beholder for my lockscreen and I found a goofy one I hadn't seen before.

I've seen the one with a Beholder holding an umbrella and floating around a cherry blossom tree. But never that one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I got the book version of Mazes and Monsters on my Kindle.

I did not know it was possible to convey "lifetime movie" via prose, but somehow it manages to do so.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Len posted:

I was looking for a good image of a Beholder for my lockscreen and I found a goofy one I hadn't seen before.

I've seen the one with a Beholder holding an umbrella and floating around a cherry blossom tree. But never that one.

Wasn't there a sexy D&D monster photoshop phriday a few years back?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Len posted:

if I recall properly that piece was done by the guy behind Brikwars, which is one of the first Wargames I ever got interested in, still need to play it one of these days

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
This post maybe makes sense if you are also a comic book nerd:

So I'm in a superhero game. Game is run based on NWoD rules with Gotham as the main setting city-wise, but the DM basically allowing all concepts/characters from any interesting comic franchise. Interesting fact of the setting is that a few years ago Batman snapped and killed the Joker on national television after the Joker took a bunch of the Bat-guys hostage and exposed him as Wayne. He then faded into obscurity. Crime fell for a while, but now it's starting to spike again as people realize Batman isn't coming back.

I'm playing a guy named Dragnet. Dragnet was a cop with a weird ability that let him touch any form of media (paper, harddrives, books, etc.) and instantly suck the info off that thing and know exactly what was on it. So he was a pretty awesome cop investigation-wise. Unfortunately, during the rise of the supers in town, the Gotham PD took down a fledgling mage and Dragnet touched his book. There was a flash and the book utterly disappeared, and Dragnet got the ability to make small, net-themed portals, but the crook got away thanks to 'evidence tampering' and Jim Gordon fired him.

At this point, Dragnet is pretty much a down-on-his-luck Private Investigator with a penchant for dressing up like a poor man's Batman and grouping with a bunch of other misfits to go out and attempt to be a hero. He's got a smattering amount of gear (taser fists he made, the Punisher's body armor, Grendel's staff/grapnel for swing lines, and a gun/flare gun) and the ability to make small two-way portals that work very much like those from the game Portal, but look like small black nets that float in space or attach to solid matter. Unfortunately, Dragnet was taken by Nathaniel Essex, Mr. Sinister, and experimented on.

So that's backstory. Here's the real question: I'm bringing Dragnet back after not being able to play for about a week. I'm wondering if you guys have any interesting ideas for how his Media Knowledge Absorption, Portals, Batman-wannabeness, and other stuff could be altered by a mad scientist of superpowers. I keep coming back to losing the Media Absorption and making him more teleport-y, but that doesn't quite seem like enough.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Make him able to not only read, but also change the data he touches. Then just calmly watch the player descend into antiheroism as he gets less and less touchy about changing poo poo to frame crooks and cover his tracks. Once the turn towards loose murderhobo with a cannon is fairly complete, have him have a dramatic, rain-slick conversation with Jim Gordon, with the fatherly Commissioner ripping into him for completely falling from grace as a cop. Then you can toy with themes of proving he's indeed better than the crooks he's after, hero we need vs hero we deserve and general morally ambiguous batmanness.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Write access. He can plant evidence now. The question is, will he?

The net theme also makes me think of networks. In addition to absorbing media, he can tap into local networks, maybe even the internet, and use his power that way. Your choice whether he needs physical access or is wireless capable. Physical only would synergize nicely with the portals, to gain access to network jacks and stuff. Hell, maybe between network access and portalling, he can transfer himself over the internet now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Swags posted:

This post maybe makes sense if you are also a comic book nerd:

So I'm in a superhero game. Game is run based on NWoD rules with Gotham as the main setting city-wise, but the DM basically allowing all concepts/characters from any interesting comic franchise. Interesting fact of the setting is that a few years ago Batman snapped and killed the Joker on national television after the Joker took a bunch of the Bat-guys hostage and exposed him as Wayne. He then faded into obscurity. Crime fell for a while, but now it's starting to spike again as people realize Batman isn't coming back.

I'm playing a guy named Dragnet. Dragnet was a cop with a weird ability that let him touch any form of media (paper, harddrives, books, etc.) and instantly suck the info off that thing and know exactly what was on it. So he was a pretty awesome cop investigation-wise. Unfortunately, during the rise of the supers in town, the Gotham PD took down a fledgling mage and Dragnet touched his book. There was a flash and the book utterly disappeared, and Dragnet got the ability to make small, net-themed portals, but the crook got away thanks to 'evidence tampering' and Jim Gordon fired him.

At this point, Dragnet is pretty much a down-on-his-luck Private Investigator with a penchant for dressing up like a poor man's Batman and grouping with a bunch of other misfits to go out and attempt to be a hero. He's got a smattering amount of gear (taser fists he made, the Punisher's body armor, Grendel's staff/grapnel for swing lines, and a gun/flare gun) and the ability to make small two-way portals that work very much like those from the game Portal, but look like small black nets that float in space or attach to solid matter. Unfortunately, Dragnet was taken by Nathaniel Essex, Mr. Sinister, and experimented on.

So that's backstory. Here's the real question: I'm bringing Dragnet back after not being able to play for about a week. I'm wondering if you guys have any interesting ideas for how his Media Knowledge Absorption, Portals, Batman-wannabeness, and other stuff could be altered by a mad scientist of superpowers. I keep coming back to losing the Media Absorption and making him more teleport-y, but that doesn't quite seem like enough.

Could go with the idea of his Media Absorption powers being amped up to let him temporarily be able to mimic the skills and/or abilities of any person within said media, with the caveat that anything outside normal human boundaries will cause some unpleasant complications once they wear off, so say he uses his abilities to mimic Superman's strength or Cyclops' eye-beams, after it wears off(let's say these abilities generally last for somewhere between 10 minutes to 30 minutes on average) he'll experience a Charlie Horse in every muscle in his body at once or he'll go blind for a couple hours to give some examples of how this'd work on the higher end of things

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

He can suck brains dry, now, which while horrific could potentially devastate organized crime if he vegetabalizes the right guys.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I want to pull my Star Wars CCG stuff out of the closet. Does anybody still do this poo poo?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

CLASSIC ROLEPLAYING GAME TORG RETURNS AS TORG ETERNITY

Ulisses Spiele Announces Return of Torg in New Updated Edition

CHANDLER, AZ (July 21, 2015) – Ulisses Spiele US, a division of Germany’s premiere game manufacturer and distributor, today announced the return of the influential Torg roleplaying game.

The new game is entitled Torg: Eternity, and is a new and updated take on the original game and its setting. The design team includes many who worked on the original Torg line that debuted from West End Games in 1990.

Torg co-creator Greg Gorden has been involved at a high level and given it his blessing: “I really like this re-imagining of the TORG mythos. The streamlining and modernization of the game mechanics feel spot on. I cannot wait to play this game!”

The game’s rights were sold after the closure of West End Games and were eventually purchased by Torg fan and president of Ulisses Spiele, Markus Plotz. “TORG is a one of a kind RPG. The setting is unique and for over 15 years, I dreamed about releasing a new and updated version. Now, with the help of the amazing Shane Hensley, that dream finally becomes reality!”

Shane Lacy Hensley heads up the United States studio where both Torg: Eternity and The Dark Eye are being created. “Though my plate is pretty full with my own company, Pinnacle Entertainment Group, I couldn’t resist working on the game that gave me my start. I also met a kindred spirit in Markus Plotz who truly loves and appreciates what a turning point Torg marked in RPG development, so I just couldn’t say no.”

Torg: Eternity will debut in 2016 in deluxe, full color hardback format.

About Ulisses Spiele
Ulisses Spiele is the premiere manufacturer of RPGs in Germany. The company’s portfolio includes amongst other games The Dark Eye (the biggest Fantasy RPG in Germany), the German version of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (as a license from US RPG giant Paizo Inc.) and the new German V20 version of Vampire – The Masquerade.

Additionally Ulisses Spiele is known as the German distributor for the critically acclaimed tabletop games Warmachine and Hordes from Privateer Press and Infinity from Corvus Belli.

With TORG: Eternity, Ulisses Spiele publishes its first English RPG.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gonna give this a cautious yassss

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
That is a pretty swanky looking Mobius. I would not object to him basically taking over the Gaunt Man role in a new version, because the whole "Become TORG" scheme is exactly a pulp villain plan.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently the main announcement will be at GenCon this weekend, but in the meantime here's what noted Gaming Person "Morrus" had to say about it.

quote:

I have to admit that as someone who reports on RPGs for a living, it's probably criminal that I am completely unfamiliar with Torg. However, there's a new edition coming called Torg Eternity, which is an updated take on the original game and seeing from 1990. The co-creator of Torg, Greg Gorden, is involved, and the project is being spearheaded by Shane Hensley (of Pinnacle Entertainment Group and Savage Worlds fame).

So, what's Torg? It was a multi-genre game written in 1990 and published by West End Games. Players play near-future Storm Knights who fight the invasion of Earth from various dimensions, each of which corresponds with an RPG genre. The title originally meant "The Other Roleplaying Game".

It's a "cinematic" game, and uses cinematic terminology like "Acts" and "Scenes"; it has exploding d20s, and a card system called a Drama Deck.

This will be a full color hardback book, and is slated for a 2016 release. It will be published by Ulisses Spiele, a German RPG publisher, which bought the rights after West End Games closed.

"What's Torg? Uh, well, it uses terms like 'scenes', and employs dice. Also, I guess it's a book? With cards?"

e: Jesus I am so far behind on my Torg review in F&F...

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 21, 2015

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Red posted:

I want to pull my Star Wars CCG stuff out of the closet. Does anybody still do this poo poo?

There's still an active community at http://www.starwarsccg.org/. The Player's Committee releases "virtual" cards that add new mechanics and make older decks viable. World Championships are in 2 weeks and there regular events on the East and West coast.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't decide if I want the Cyberpapacy's tech to be high-tech based off current understanding of computer technology, or if they're still stuck with the old 80's cyberpunk stuff based off 90's computers.

Malraux comes down his bridge, cybered to the gills, proclaims "BEHOLD MY SUPERIOR DIVINE TECHNOLOGY", doesn't have wifi capability.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't decide if I want the Cyberpapacy's tech to be high-tech based off current understanding of computer technology, or if they're still stuck with the old 80's cyberpunk stuff based off 90's computers.

Malraux comes down his bridge, cybered to the gills, proclaims "BEHOLD MY SUPERIOR DIVINE TECHNOLOGY", doesn't have wifi capability.
Go right in the middle. He has wifi, but it's like 2600 baud. and tubes everywhere. Just randomly placed cathodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Go right in the middle. He has wifi, but it's like 2600 baud. and tubes everywhere. Just randomly placed cathodes.
And neon. Gotta have that neon.

Based on things I have heard, I'm currently "cautiously optimistic leaning towards fully optimistic" on the new edition.

• Locked thread