Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Livestream of the Apollo 11 landing, with a 46 year delay. Landing is at 16:10 EDT, moonwalk is at 22:51.
http://kottke.org/apollo-11/

We need to go back. Permanently. :jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i've got a decent propane grill but ive wanted a good weber for ages

shame im about to move into (probably) an apartment for school for the next two years! probably won't even be able to have my current grill.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Parents are on vaca and my bro is working 2nd shift so I am over feeding the dog and letting her out to piss. She just turned 14 and started pissing inside again recently. She's so old. :cry:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm thinking about a charcoal grill myself. What do you folks use for briquettes? Regular Kingsford?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm thinking about a charcoal grill myself. What do you folks use for briquettes? Regular Kingsford?

Whatever goes on sale on Memorial Day, this year it was 30lb packs of Kingsford. Get a chimney starter - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEOQV8

piss boner
May 17, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Whatever goes on sale on Memorial Day, this year it was 30lb packs of Kingsford. Get a chimney starter - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WEOQV8

Yeah, so much this, charcoal is charcoal. LOL at the pics, who uses gloves?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah the main thing with charcoal is not to use lighter fluid, that poo poo flavors your food in a bad way.

you think it burns off. it doesn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"You should learn how to cook."

Psh

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Enourmo posted:

yeah the main thing with charcoal is not to use lighter fluid, that poo poo flavors your food in a bad way.

It does, it's just that some of it doesn't burn completely and the byproducts of incomplete combustion (not the fuel itself) stick around and make your food taste a little weird.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NitroSpazzz posted:

Costco sells the Competition pack of Kingsford for $15 (18ish lbs) occasionally. I like it a little more than the regular stuff for smoking in the kettle, but the regular is great for everything, too. I second getting a chimney. And whoever suggested the performer is spot on. Love mine to death. Getting a WSM soon, too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Enourmo posted:

last time I lit my grill with my oxyacetylene torch, I accidentally melted a few of the slats. Went back to lighter fluid after that, sorry.

It was nice to have the coals ready to cook on in about 30-45 seconds though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"excavation by nuke was a bit overkill so i went back to using a soup spoon"

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Darchangel posted:

The good news is that you have a Crown Vic, one of the most common vehicles in the US. I bet you can get a correct-fitting spare with decent tread at any wrecking yard. Or, you know, get AAA for now.

Eh, I just put the trip on hold for a bit. It's lovely, because my friend in Austin is gonna be having a big birthday bash and a bunch of our internet streaming / gaming group are going out there for it and I'd love to show up, but it's one of those things where i'd be scraping to have enough to afford the gas, food while i'm down there, plus buying a spare and lug wrench and etc. to not feel sketched out making the trip... So yeah. I'm gonna just wait a while until I have a bit more saved up and i'm not trying to rush to throw together everything I'd need to make the drive :shobon:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Can someone remind me that selling my reliable (really), paid off, great condition, 49k mile 2010 GTI and buying a different unreliable German car is a bad idea, and that I should wait 2 years so I can buy the car I really want?

In 8 years, I've gone through 14 cars. The losses I've taken on selling these is something like... $45k. Don't do what I did. Don't kick off that cycle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhyno posted:

poo poo I didn't know they made a Q series that you didn't have to squat on the ground to use.

Edit: ha, I just showed her and she's like "Oh funny story, they rescinded that rule. We can get charcoal."

I FUCKIN' TOLD U

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Excellent I will just get a weber kettle. I didn't know if there was better options for charcoal because natural lump, then the others, etc.

The only thing I never cared for off the charcoal grill was chicken, maybe I'm just not as good with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You could literally throw a week-old dead hobo on a Weber kettle grill and it will come out delicious. No sauce.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$150 for the kettle that has the ash catcher, I don't see a better price so I guess I will PRIME that bitch.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fuckin cat is stressing me out. The short haired one is missing since Saturday night, they've never been gone for more than 5 hours at a time. Threw up a post on the local FB lost cat page, made a kijiji ad, and notified the humane society (pound?) as well as talking with neighbors. His brother, the floofy cat, has been meowing all day trying to find him. Going to make some posters and throw them up on the mailboxes in the neighborhood.

Hopefully he shows up soon and not as roadkill or fox food :ohdear:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Excellent I will just get a weber kettle. I didn't know if there was better options for charcoal because natural lump, then the others, etc.

The only thing I never cared for off the charcoal grill was chicken, maybe I'm just not as good with it.

Lump charcoal is pretty awesome and I use it a fair bit in my Weber but on the other hand briquettes are just too easy and convenient to ingore (so I use them the most).

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
So my mom had a mammogram a couple weeks ago and they found something that they biopsied last week. Mom got the results today, and they were not good. Cancer. They're doing some more tests to determine the next steps.

gently caress cancer, man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Fuckin cat is stressing me out. The short haired one is missing since Saturday night, they've never been gone for more than 5 hours at a time. Threw up a post on the local FB lost cat page, made a kijiji ad, and notified the humane society (pound?) as well as talking with neighbors. His brother, the floofy cat, has been meowing all day trying to find him. Going to make some posters and throw them up on the mailboxes in the neighborhood.

We lost our favorite cat to coyotes. Made us very sad.

We miss you Maiq :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bandman posted:

gently caress cancer, man.

poo poo sucks. My mom had colon cancer. Luckily good doctors and modern medical science and she's survived it by 10 years now. Hope yours (and STR's) beat it too.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Bajaha posted:

I hosed up awhile back and ran an extension cord out my GF's front window, forgetting to close it when I was done. Her drat (indoor) cat got out of it sometime during the night, and was missing for over 24 hours. She put up flyers for a block or two around, and pretty soon the next-door neighbor called and the little guy was cowering underneath a bush in their backyard. Neither of us thought fliers worked, but they sure did in that situation. I felt like such an rear end in a top hat; goddamn I was glad the cat was found. The neighbor refused the reward, too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Watch as many of these videos as you can:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb

[e] I use Kingsford and stock up when it's on sale. I've heard Publix Greenwise charcoal is really good but haven't tried it yet. Whatever you do just don't cheap out, the cheaper brands suck. Kingsford starts quick with a chimney and burns nice and long.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 21, 2015

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah, don't discount flyer game at finding cats. My ex wife came home drunk when I was in Afghanistan in 2012, and left the door slightly cracked and one of our (now my) cats got out. I told her to put up flyers in all the surrounding apartment buildings, and sure as poo poo, someone corralled the kitty and called my ex-wife within 36 hours.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

4 days sober. :toot:

Tomorrow morning I'm getting bloodwork done and possible medication adjustment by a new doctor (office staff at my old doctor pissed me off too much - always wanted proof that I had paid my medical insurance before they would even let me schedule an appointment, couldn't stick a vein to save their lives to draw blood either). Tomorrow afternoon I'm enrolling in an 8 week intensive outpatient rehab. I've also been granted a leave of absence from school.

Paying for the IOP is going to be lovely, if I'm reading my benefits sheet right it's going to be $30 per visit.... 3 times a week.. for 8 weeks. That's gonna hurt.

Finally got around to installing the SSD that the spyder sent me - laptop is a hell of a lot faster now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You got this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'd be lying if I didn't give serious thought to grabbing a 12 pack on my way home from work today.

e: goddamnit, I'm hungry, and have blood work in 8 1/2 hours....
e2: why is it when you quit a really heavy drinking habit you feel like eating until you're the size of Jabba the Hut? I've had 4 loving meals today (including nearly an entire pizza), and I'm still starving. My stomach physically hurts from the sudden onslaught of food.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 21, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

some texas redneck posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't give serious thought to grabbing a 12 pack on my way home from work today.

We are all glad you didn't. Keep fighting, dude. We are all here for ya!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

e2: why is it when you quit a really heavy drinking habit you feel like eating until you're the size of Jabba the Hut? I've had 4 loving meals and I'm still starving.

I always find myself on a sweets/carbs binge all the times I've dried out, it has to do with your body used to having all sorts of simple carbohydrates to metabolize from booze taken away at once, so you start craving pastas breads and sweets.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

e: goddamnit, I'm hungry, and have blood work in 8 1/2 hours....
e2: why is it when you quit a really heavy drinking habit you feel like eating until you're the size of Jabba the Hut? I've had 4 loving meals today (including nearly an entire pizza), and I'm still starving. My stomach physically hurts from the sudden onslaught of food.

Drink lots of water. Really. It keeps your stomach full and really reduces the hunger pangs. Of course you get to pee a lot, but oh well. Side benefit, is that it's much easier for them to stick a vein after you've been drinking a lot of water before the stick.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's hard to say how much drinking influences my appetite since I don't eat much

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've just discovered the new hell that is taking out and stuffing back the old ratty fibreglass packing into my kart's exhaust.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Good luck STR. You've had a lovely few months but I hope things start turning around for you.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bajaha posted:

Nthing the flyers idea, talk to your neighbours as well. Try laying out tuna and things that smell like home too. GF's mom's cat escaped in February and was gone for almost 3 weeks. It turned up on a neighbours porch down the street and they managed to call her because she left a number.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Well, beer and booze is not exactly without calories, so my uneducated guess is that your body is craving all those kcals it is now not getting.

Nthing "drink lots of water."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gotta love when I'm told to show up an hour early and no one else is here yet.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

When I was younger one of my parent's cats got out (it was an indoor only cat)
It was out for 6 weeks before someone who knew him recognised him and caught him for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
UK trip day 3.

I just arrived in Leicester with the in-laws. This is my first access to the internet since I got here, and I feel like I've been camping. More family to visit today, then the wife and I are going to Manchester for a wedding and on the way back will be going to Birmingham and Wolverhampton to visit more family. I drove past the Heritage Motor Museum in Gaydon and imagined what it would be like to visit it.

Maybe one day.

• Locked thread