Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Weighted dips and pull-ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Weighted dips and pull-ups

i can fight a place to do pull ups. also as far as weights all i got is like two 20 pound hand weights my man.

i want to
1. look more muscley i guess
2. get wicked sick PFA scores

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i can fight a place to do pull ups. also as far as weights all i got is like two 20 pound hand weights my man.

i want to
1. look more muscley i guess
2. get wicked sick PFA scores

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

lol if you dont have an olympic bench in your livingroom

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

"Hand weights"

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
i use my hands wrt to the weights you see

anyways all i do is like 5 sets of 20 reps of over head presses, curls, and whatever the side lifts are called

then like the same amount of sets/reps for crunches/sit-ups/bicycles

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i use my hands wrt to the weights you see

anyways all i do is like 5 sets of 20 reps of over head presses, curls, and whatever the side lifts are called

then like the same amount of sets/reps for crunches/sit-ups/bicycles

enjoy your little bitch muscles

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AjtX3C5j8

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
n4i please embed this song into the thread thx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_6pnKzPUc

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

for a dude that has no access to a gym right now, how do I get a relatively swole upper body? lower body is already strong enough imho

Check out "convict conditioning"
I've been using it as a supplementary workout to weights and gradually flipping over to doing 80% bodyweight workout 20% weights.
I'm gonna do a three month body weight deal using its recommended progression... Maybe one day a week of weights just because tho'

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I vote for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhl5K0mTSKY

has more mustache

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Dingleberry posted:

Check out "convict conditioning"
I've been using it as a supplementary workout to weights and gradually flipping over to doing 80% bodyweight workout 20% weights.
I'm gonna do a three month body weight deal using its recommended progression... Maybe one day a week of weights just because tho'

i will check this out, thanks brotha

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
a decent week for being strong as piss

bench 225 for 13 and had enough gas to attempt a 14th but failed

mock pft crap the next day
94pushups
85 situps
19 pullups

and today i squatted 315 for 24 reps

vains
May 26, 2004

elite_garbage_man posted:

a decent week for being strong as piss

bench 225 for 13 and had enough gas to attempt a 14th but failed

mock pft crap the next day
94pushups
85 situps
19 pullups

and today i squatted 315 for 24 reps

everyone gets 100 situps

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Can't count that high

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

everyone gets 100 situps

he had a buddy fucker counting, but the twist is the buddy fucker was his own mind

vains
May 26, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

he had a buddy fucker counting, but the twist is the buddy fucker was his own mind

integrity

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
jjdidtiebuckle

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
actually i did 8500. left out a few zero's since i miss-remembered.

by army standards 85 is over 100pts

so whatevs

vains
May 26, 2004

actually i did 8500. left out a few zero's since i miss-remembered.

by army standards 85 is over 100pts

so whatevs

good to go devil

edit

sculpted the guns because today is friday and i gotta look loving big for the bars

seated preacher bb
70x10
90x10
100x9
90x9
90x7

seated hammer db
50x10
50x10
55x8

stand single arm db
30x10
30x9
30x8
30x8

stand wide bb
60x8
60x8
60x5

rope triceps
67.5x10x3

underhand single arm pulldowns
25x10x3

vains fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 11, 2015

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
^layin pipe

when i curl 60lb dbs i pretend they're 50 cal recievers

vains
May 26, 2004

at a bar, only two people have ever commented on the size of my arms.
1- a dude, who said I looked like a more muscular tom cruise
2- a chick, who said that dudes with big arms tend to have tiny dicks. I told her its only because of my thunder thighs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

at a bar, only two people have ever commented on the size of my arms.
1- a dude, who said I looked like a more muscular tom cruise
2- a chick, who said that dudes with big arms tend to have tiny dicks. I told her its only because of my thunder thighs.

lmbo

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Deadlifted my BW today. Time to aim for BW squats

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
nice job, brochacho!

trample the weak, hurdle the dead

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
After Squats I'm aiming for BW Bench, but it's only at 110 right now and I'm probably gonna end up weight about 190 by the time I'm ready to bench that so it will probably be several months down the road. I'm ok with this though since I'm not gonna be eligible for promotion by the this october's PT test so I really have a whole year to train so I can get swole and then destroy my PT test next year. This year I'm just looking to start up good work out habits again and probably 210 my PT test.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So the physical therapist thinks a compressed nerve in my back is causing my knee to hurt, and unexpectedly the back stretch she told me to do kind of works. Hopefully I can start running again in a few days, I need to get back in running shape for the 5 mile run assessment in a few weeks.

vains
May 26, 2004

NTT posted:

After Squats I'm aiming for BW Bench, but it's only at 110 right now and I'm probably gonna end up weight about 190 by the time I'm ready to bench that so it will probably be several months down the road. I'm ok with this though since I'm not gonna be eligible for promotion by the this october's PT test so I really have a whole year to train so I can get swole and then destroy my PT test next year. This year I'm just looking to start up good work out habits again and probably 210 my PT test.

you should be bench pressing already

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'd like to get a weight training set-up for my spare room, but I don't really have the space or cash for a full Olympic rack, so I'm leaning more towards a bench and some adjustable dumbbells. How quickly can I pick up something like that if I'm shopping used? Are the simple spin-lock dumbbells ok, or are the adjustable ones where it's at?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Keep an eye on craigslist, especially if you're in a college town. I managed a full bench and a bunch of dumbbells for $400ish total. It pays to keep an eye out at the end of semesters when all the brodudes are moving out.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd like to get a weight training set-up for my spare room, but I don't really have the space or cash for a full Olympic rack, so I'm leaning more towards a bench and some adjustable dumbbells. How quickly can I pick up something like that if I'm shopping used? Are the simple spin-lock dumbbells ok, or are the adjustable ones where it's at?

Do you live near a university? Colleges will typically buy new weight lifting equipment every couple years and get rid of perfectly good stuff for pennies on the dollar. University of Maryland has an entire website dedicated just to selling their surplus stuff.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Do you live near a university? Colleges will typically buy new weight lifting equipment every couple years and get rid of perfectly good stuff for pennies on the dollar. University of Maryland has an entire website dedicated just to selling their surplus stuff.

:stare:

Lived in Baltimore all my life and yet I never knew this was a thing. Holy gently caress.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

:stare:

Lived in Baltimore all my life and yet I never knew this was a thing. Holy gently caress.

Either last year or the year before that they got rid of every piece of weightlifting equipment the football team had in a garage sale format. They were giving away racks that cost thousands of dollars for < $500.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
hit 135 for 13 on ohp and 405 for 22 reps on dl

word

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

hit 135 for 13 on ohp and 405 for 22 reps on dl

word

At this point I think you're just typing random numbers.

vains
May 26, 2004

are you asking if he even lifts?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
fight me irl

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cum at me bro

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im so hard right now

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Cum at me bro

stop posting pictures of me w/out my permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your surrogate key
Feb 10, 2010

Aranan posted:

Starting Strength with three days a week of running is killing my legs. They just feel tired all the time, probably because I'm beating the poo poo out of them regularly.

I looked into 5/3/1 and it seems like it might pair a little better with running since it isn't all squats all the time, but even Wendler said it wasn't made to be paired with running.

At this point I'm tempted to buy Tactical Barbell training to read it, even if the name sounds dumb. I just want to get stronger, faster, and get some relaxing LSD runs at the same time. Apparently that's too much to ask.

Did you find a solution? Because I'm having the same problem. How is a "strength+running+rest+have a life" program suppose to look like?
I do the starting strength during my lunch break and run 10km after work, followed by a rest day. Rinse and repeat. That sort of works but it renders me useless in the evenings. I foam roll and do yoga in my rest days.
Thinking of trying strength training and running on alternative days but then when do I rest?! o.O