Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The pausing is just Sunman's time powers at work.

It doesn't seem too bad for an NES game. The ability to fly at all times is pretty neat and it's still better than Superman 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I could see why Sunsoft would want to cancel the game, having lost the license. The promise of sales that a known IP offers is a gigantic way to ensure that profit's made on a game, especially back then when game reviews weren't commonplace.

The loss of that guarantee meant that the game would have to rely on polish and game mechanics to sell well and get a good review from the few game magazines available back then. Also, the fact that game production back then was also way more expensive was an added roadblock, what with a lot more use of plastic and circuitry to make cartridges.

But aside from all that, that seemed pretty decent. Maybe if Sunman's punches were a bit bigger, but right now, it does seem a bit on the hard side. Regardless, it's pretty grate.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I guess Sunsoft saw that the perfect Superman game had already been made and just gave up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Still a better superhero game than The Tick.

Since you got to lesser known games of our beloved Japanese weirdos, will you do Extermination? It's got a SWERY bar in it. Also, the PAL and the US releases gave the main character different haircuts. Also, the PAL dub sounds like the entire game was recorded by hung over British coders pretending to be American, and then the speech was slowed down. Romantic scenes in the SWERY bar are just :magical:

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 15, 2015

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

SelenicMartian posted:

Since you got to lesser known games of our beloved Japanese weirdos, will you do Extermination?

I've never played Extermination, but I do want to try that out at some point. If only for the Sweryness.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

supergreatfriend posted:

I've never played Extermination, but I do want to try that out at some point. If only for the Sweryness.

Wait, Swery made Extermination?

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

p.3 - An Aspect of Amusement - Youtube | Download

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Night10194 posted:

Wait, Swery made Extermination?
He was a writer/planner on the game; sadly the game is a fairly bog standard horror game in the early days of the PS2. The one interesting mechanic behind it was the multi-purpose weapon the character has.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Niggurath posted:

He was a writer/planner on the game; sadly the game is a fairly bog standard horror game in the early days of the PS2. The one interesting mechanic behind it was the multi-purpose weapon the character has.

Yeah, I wondered because I played it and I didn't see anything nearly as odd as I'd expect from Swery.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It has one Swery thing and that's the very last line said in the game before the credits roll.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
It has its... quirks, but this does actually seem like a pretty decent game. Sort of like an Alien Isolation demake.

(Isn't that right, Mercus?)

Also I'm not sure which of the two goofy guns we've made use of looked goofier.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Man, this George guy seems like a dick. He even password-locked his gun!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Wow, George's computer is a real blast from the past. Not only is everything beige, but did the rest of you notice that three-button mouse?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The first games SWERY worked on were the two Last Blade games, one of SNK's fighting game series. Last Blade was cool.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Do the aliens distort the steam if they walk through it? That's the only reason I could see for the steam being there.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
What was the song that you used during the fast forward bit and was it the same song you used for the fast forward bit in D2?

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Do the aliens distort the steam if they walk through it? That's the only reason I could see for the steam being there.

Oh wait, I never even thought of that. I don't know if the steam graphic changes if the enemies go through them, that would be pretty cool if it happened.

Lareine posted:

What was the song that you used during the fast forward bit and was it the same song you used for the fast forward bit in D2?

Yup, it's the same track that I used in D2. It's actually from the Enemy Zero soundtrack, even though we never actually hear it in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlpfd-dGNJQ

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The other interesting thing about Extermination was its Infection meter, something you had to manage separately from your overall health meter. Maybe it was an extra complication to worry about, but hey, very few Resident Evil games ever bothered with showing the protagonist as vulnerable to the thing turning everyone else into zombies.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Speedball posted:

The other interesting thing about Extermination was its Infection meter, something you had to manage separately from your overall health meter. Maybe it was an extra complication to worry about, but hey, very few Resident Evil games ever bothered with showing the protagonist as vulnerable to the thing turning everyone else into zombies.
Casually showing up for in-engine cutscenes where people discuss infection while in 100% infected state with a huge glowing ball growing out of your back is something you simply can't experience in other games.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Casually showing up for in-engine cutscenes where people discuss infection while in 100% infected state with a huge glowing ball growing out of your back is something you simply can't experience in other games.

"But any one of us could be infected! How would we know!?"
"Thasg twrueeeh *dribbles greenish fluid*. Wuh shulrgh seh uh a scannimn proshesh *scratches enormous pustules*"
"Great idea, Bob!"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
"Laura, Laura. Look up Laura!" :suicide:

Joking aside this game actually seems to be doing a good job creating a sense of tension. That bit with the elevator and the chase sequence was actually pretty good even if the mechanics of it got a little odd near the end.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Laura getting pissed at the locker is the most emotion I've seen her express in three games.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The inconsistent spacing between the keys and the weird perspective on this keyboard bother me. Those seem like odd little details to miss, especially when you consider how much Eno cared about his games.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Those might just be a result of the transfer from the Saturn to the PC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

supergreatfriend posted:

do Spy Fiction

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

It's your lucky day.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCD4612A4BECF621

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

supergreatfriend posted:

Yup, it's the same track that I used in D2. It's actually from the Enemy Zero soundtrack, even though we never actually hear it in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlpfd-dGNJQ

I thought as much. It sounds a HECK of a lot like the Ravenous OST that Nyman co-scored with Damon Albarn.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE
Interlude: Oyaji Hunter Mahjong - Youtube | Download

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
One hour and twenty-seven minutes??

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
That sure is an intro everything. :catstare:

Edit: The Roji Panty Complex.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 22, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

supergreatfriend posted:

Interlude: Oyaji Hunter Mahjong - Youtube | Download

This is amazing. And I now know more about Mahjong than I ever did before. Still very little, but more than ever before.

I do love the concept of calling Uno by aggressively throwing your Popsicle stick down on the table.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 22, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've had this flavor of Japanese mahjong around me here and there in various forms for over twenty years and I have never understood a lick of it...until now. Thank you, supergreatfriend, for your great public service. I actually went in search of a beginner's mahjong video game (and found one--by Nintendo! with Mario characters!) to learn more.

I believe it's a lot like poker in a bunch of ways, as we saw, including different "hands" having certain names and score you certain points. The trick comes in remembering which hand is which and what it's worth.

Did Kenji Eno work on a hanafuda game, by any chance? I'm sure you'd love that needlessly complicated gambling card game, too. I bet you'd explain the hell out of it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Why even throw your stick down if it costs you points? You won once without even doing it.

Also, you must have the patience of a saint if you played this to completion in one sitting. I would get annoyed after the first time I did zero damage to a guy.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Why even throw your stick down if it costs you points? You won once without even doing it.

I believe it's a sort of bet that gets you more points if you follow through and win.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hirayuki posted:

I've had this flavor of Japanese mahjong around me here and there in various forms for over twenty years and I have never understood a lick of it...until now. Thank you, supergreatfriend, for your great public service. I actually went in search of a beginner's mahjong video game (and found one--by Nintendo! with Mario characters!) to learn more.

I believe it's a lot like poker in a bunch of ways, as we saw, including different "hands" having certain names and score you certain points. The trick comes in remembering which hand is which and what it's worth.

Did Kenji Eno work on a hanafuda game, by any chance? I'm sure you'd love that needlessly complicated gambling card game, too. I bet you'd explain the hell out of it.

It's actually a lot more like gin rummy than poker.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hirayuki posted:

There are at least 3 major "flavors" of Mahjongg, and they're all pretty different from each other regarding scoring (and, of course, entirely different from the tile-matching game).

The US variant is all about specific hands and their point values, and there is a new set of scoring hands released every year.

Chinese (or traditional) Mahjongg is indeed more like Gin Rummy, with a very few special hands and very complex scoring/payout. You may need a minimum score to be allowed to call "Mahjongg" at all.

Japanese Mahjongg I know little about, but I think it's closer to Chinese than American, with more special hands. You also need a special hand to be able to win.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Throwing down the stick is called riichi and it means you can win with a hand you otherwise wouldn't be able to win with.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Blenheim posted:

One hour and twenty-seven minutes??

It suddenly becomes interesting right around the eighty minute mark. I remember seeing tiny stills from that trailer on a Geocities page once; in full motion, the unreleased version of D2 is truly special.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Calling a Kan reveals a new dora indicator on the dead wall, so it's not immediate bonus points only it can lead to potential more dora at the end of the round. Also you call Riichi mostly because it's a guaranteed Yaku you need to go out. That hand you had all melds and a pair but couldn't go out because you didn't have a Yaku.

I know this, because I literally watched a three hour introduction to Riichi Mahjong after watching your video and I was curious. Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Got around, finally, to watching that Mahjong video. We were on a ship going down the Yangtse and decided to play Mahjong with another couple we met, and the ship crew were soon gathered around us, watching -- so they definitely at least wanted to see white people play Mahjong.

• Locked thread