Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Ironic racism is not very much better than regular racism. And the only blacksploitation parodies that aren't poo poo are made by people who are actually black.

Not true Black Dynamite was made by mostly white and jewish people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Ironic racism is not very much better than regular racism. And the only blacksploitation parodies that aren't poo poo are made by people who are actually black.

I don't see any ironic racism though, unless you have a weird definition of the word "ironic"

edit: To clarify, if it were ironic racism, the joke would be that it is racist and therefore not actually racist because it's just a joke. But only shitheads in GBS do that, I'm not seeing that here.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 24, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Racism is like pooping well all do it and there's no need to call anyone out on it unless it's particularly foul.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Taint Reaper posted:

Racism is like pooping well all do it and there's no need to call anyone out on it unless it's particularly foul.

you're poop

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Taint Reaper posted:

Not true Black Dynamite was made by mostly white and jewish people.

Shaft reap'd again!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Broseph Brostar posted:

Shaft reap'd again!!

The Shaft movie featuring Shaq is 20 years old.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Nasgate posted:

"Instead of pointing out something terrible so that maybe our community stops accepting that it's ok. Just let it go."

:wtc:

It got released onto the Wii, a console known for family and kids games.

holy poo poo did you pull a "think of the children" bullshit?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Blacksploitation is a lot like the 80s in that people with no actual exposure to or familiarity with it love to bust out lazy parodies based on what they think it's like.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Blacksploitation is a lot like the 80s in that people with no actual exposure to or familiarity with it love to bust out lazy parodies based on what they think it's like.
It's like every time you talk about sex.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

:drat:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sleeveless posted:

See also: kung fu movies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

:holymoley:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I would like a Black Dynamite beat-em-up please.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Maybe if you're talking about the lovely Mad TV sketches about blaxploition movies, but Black Dynamite is actually a great love letter to the genre. You have to actually be familiar with the genre to get half the jokes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
jackie brown is a good movie

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mvp-nOz9Gk

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

https://youtu.be/i4ke7OOHx18

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i cannot in good conscience laugh at this until i know the skin color of the person who wrote it :ohdear:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cyron posted:

holy poo poo did you pull a "think of the children" bullshit?

I meant it more in that even beloved nintendo is letting stupid poo poo like this through.

Idk if anyone has watched that games trailer, but it's clearly not well done or thought out blacksploitation. Very much the "lol black people" kind.

It also contains zero Funk despite its title.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Black Dynamite owns. I just wish the Black Dynamite anime they made was better.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Nasgate posted:

I meant it more in that even beloved nintendo is letting stupid poo poo like this through.

when i think of cultural sensitivity i sure as hell think of Japanese Corporations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Nasgate posted:

Idk if anyone has watched that games trailer, but it's clearly not well done or thought out blacksploitation. Very much the "lol black people" kind.

It also contains zero Funk despite its title.

Did you hear about the popular wii u title, Meme Run?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

poo poo, now I gotta watch that movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No Such Thing posted:

when i think of cultural sensitivity i sure as hell think of Japanese Corporations.

how much did nintendo pay mike tyson

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Personasploitation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqYNp6KFtQA&hd=1

It's like "we wish we were as cool as persona but we can't pull it off"

Also yeah it's for Vita like you even have to guess

Ekster posted:

That reminds me of 19th century Americans claiming that Catholic Irish are subhuman but Protestant Irish are white and therefore okay.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No Such Thing posted:

japan has a superior culture so they win this fight by default

Cardboard Box A posted:

Personasploitation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqYNp6KFtQA&hd=1

It's like "we wish we were as cool as persona but we can't pull it off"

i dunno, looks suitably anime to me, which is of course the reason persona is good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Seems pretty cool to me. I was curious about the artist and took a look at his website, that man really loves Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thanks Xbone thread for the heftier model Cortana, this is extremely my jam

The invisiheels are even more noticable now too

icantfindaname posted:

i dunno, looks suitably anime to me, which is of course the reason persona is good
There's more to Persona (or at least Persona's intros) than simply being anime, and it's that sense of style this Vita game is trying and failing to copy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thanks Xbone thread for the heftier model Cortana, this is extremely my jam

Please keep this in the xbone quarantine thread where it belongs tia

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Taking a deeper look at the work of that guy doing the art for Net High, he's actually a pretty good artist. His Kill la Kill fanart is of very high quality and I recommend viewing it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

There's more to Persona (or at least Persona's intros) than simply being anime, and it's that sense of style this Vita game is trying and failing to copy.

Lanky Kong has more style than Persona, so failing to achieve that is a good thing no?

Unless for some reason you think as generic anime as you can get is style.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Shin Megami Tensei games have very excellent character art.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Shin Megami Tensei games have very excellent character art.

they are done very well yes. But a good artist doesn't mean the style is good or unique.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Persona and most SMT character designs in general have kind of a unique style actually. Mostly present in the faces. And the general aesthetics of the games look nice.

I personally have no problem with Twitter Follower RPG copying that style, because it also looks quite nice.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I don't get what's so bad about that game

I've heard the platforming sucks

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The "style" of the Persona games extends far beyond the character designs being good or bad or anything at all; IMO the more interesting designwork goes into things like the important personas (for example the Japanese pantheon in 4) which are all highly interpretive versions of mythological figures, and the radical UIs that are a hundred times slicker than the boring, designed-by-committee menus most games have now where fonts are selected for maximum cellphone legibility and colors to cause minimal eyestrain rather than for, you know, artistic or stylistic reasons

That trailer is really clearly mimicking the style of Persona 3 and 4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I did not really get the outrage over these pictures but then I thought the whole "these are fat unlike me a fit stud" phase of the internet got old

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

idgi is cortana fat now or something?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A bulimia website did some photoshops to make vg characters look like average build people, they were mostly innocuous except they made a couple weird character choices, like 90s lara croft. There's one of rikku from FF10 that is a little ridiculous though, that one is kind of silly

mostly what i've been witnessing as reaction from the internet is justification for wanting to jerk off to hot video game babes (not even anime ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rikku is sexy

• Locked thread