Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was playing fine for 30 mins and then got "An issue with your computer is blocking the VAC system. You cannot play on secure servers." Any one else had this?

e- Never mind I fixed it.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
When that was happening to me and none of the suggested solutions worked I just ended up deleting/reinstalling the entire tf2 folder and now everything works fine I think

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

sockpuppetclock posted:

When that was happening to me and none of the suggested solutions worked I just ended up deleting/reinstalling the entire tf2 folder and now everything works fine I think

This worked for me, I restarted my comp then:

(with out opening steam first)

Click Start > Run (Windows Key + R)
Type the following command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\SteamService.exe" /repair

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Thanks guys ^^^^^^

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Starting at low health is fine - it rewards attentive players catching minis as they build and discourages absolutely mindless and blatant sentry making GBS threads in front of someone's face. Slowing the build speed and recovering health by whacking at them is hellaciously stupid, and goes counter to the whole point of minis.

I don't get people complaining about engis making GBS threads out minis, that was the point. There's nothing stopping you from backing off or running around a corner and taking it out, and no one complains "Ugh I can't mindlessly 1v1 this [combat class], he needs a nerf." Gunslinger was MEANT to turn engi into a quasi-combat class, maybe people need to treat him like one.

The only nerf the mini needed was maaybe a range and knockback reduction. My problem with minis has always been their ability to snipe you from miles away, when they're supposed to be for combat support. If you're dying to one up close then maybe you should've disengaged.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The problem is that minis used to be a pretty ridiculous time and ammo sink. Before the nerf going through 2-3 minis and killing the engineer making GBS threads them out would take more firepower than killing a heavy. Against a lone engineer that's pretty much irrelevant and I heartily endorse laughing at anyone who had trouble 1v1ing a gunslinger engi (especially since most of them can't shoot for poo poo) but they were disproportionately effective in a big melee since you can't afford to drop everything and spend all your ammo focusing an engineer while other enemies are shooting at you.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

All I know is that I hated hated minisentries, back when this thread would spend days complaining about minisentries, a year ago when they had a tiny hitbox and effectively double health during build time. I play a lot of scout. After those two nerfs were applied, I found them noticably easier to combat. Even as scout I could scattergun a fresh one down and kill the engineer, which I just plain couldn't do before.

I started being happier to see gunslinger engineers than standard sentries. As scout, the class minisentries used to hose the hardest.

And that's why I don't think this most recent extra nerf was neccesary. It hasn't been all that long (in TF2 time scale) since the previous nerfs, and I feel like a lot of people still hadn't caught on to them. (And yes those were nerfs, even if they were called bugfixes. The minisentry got a lot less powerful than it had been for years).

One thing I've noticed is that people hating on Early 2015 Minisentry the most seem to be people who near-exclusively play soldier. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

As a demoman/scout player I was pissed about mini sentries because engineers would poo poo one out while running away and it would pop up fast enough in an open area or room he hid in that I had no choice but to divert attention to it instead of the Engineer, who is still shooting at me.

A 50% health start means that will buy him at most a few seconds to escape instead of using that time to also shoot me. This is a good thing because making GBS threads out a mini sentry and immediately getting an advantage wasn't fun to play against. Now they can drop a distraction and use it to escape instead, while still getting the benefit of a fast-building sentry which hides well and is great for quickly covering flanks or corners around chokepoints

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Ditocoaf posted:

One thing I've noticed is that people hating on Early 2015 Minisentry the most seem to be people who near-exclusively play soldier. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.
Pretty much, maybe it's a thing.

The making GBS threads out of sentries was my big gripe. No real wonder why. You had to jump at the engie and kill him, deal with his mini after. When map geometry made that impossible or sentry coverage/other players make jumping at the engie unwise, you stay back and waste time systematically killing one mini after another while cursing at their existence. Then an inevitable pyro runs around the corner and if you didn't keep 1 spare rocket chambered you're gonna have a bad time.

It was never the minis or the engie, it's always the poo poo that comes along while you're tied up. When they regened their full health and you had to wait until they were nearly finished building before shooting rocket #1 it was twice as bad.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

iroguebot posted:

Planning putting out an announcement for the GvM group around 9pm central time and see if we can get a full group to run a entire tour or so, just a 11 hour heads up on that.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonvsmachine

If you guys stick around for an hour after that I'll be on, instead of playing silently at work

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ditocoaf posted:

The big thing about minisentries to me was that it FORCED me to play Soldier. I like Soldier, it's a fun class, but I like basically every class except Engi. Sometimes I want to play as scout, or as pyro, or as demoman/demoknight, and with the old minis, if one or two enemies started using them I was suddenly forced to play Soldier or not play at all.

Scout and Pyro couldn't get close to them without dying, and can't fight an engineer who is shotgunning them while a mini is building since no matter which one you focus on, the other would kill you. Demoman isn't accurate enough to hit the minis quickly, you need to use stickies and wait for them to arm, and if you were playing with a shield, well, now you need your sticky launcher, or you need to switch to soldier. Sniper can sometimes take care of minis if they're just being poo poo out all over the place, but I'm not always in the groove of precise aiming that sniping needs to do anything other than shoot minis. I could go Spy and completely ignore the mini sentry, but then its killing the rest of my team still, and we probably have 4 spies already.

Minis were so ubiquitous that Soldier is my best class because I wasn't allowed to play anything else half the drat time. I am glad they've been nerfed to the point other classes can actually fight them! That's a good thing! It's good that I'm no longer required to be a soldier because a single player on the enemy team decided to put on their metal hand. I can finally do other things when playing team fortress 2, and that's great.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 24, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

Pretty much, maybe it's a thing.

Soldiers have the worst clip limits out of the combat classes, so it's no wonder why they were the most frustrated by fighting through mini spam.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It used to be that taking out the two minisentries that an engineer could poo poo out consecutively would literally require your entire clip.

I'm sure a bunch of "career engineers" are upset that they can't hit a macro a couple of times and take a player out of the fight entirely though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jabor posted:

It used to be that taking out the two minisentries that an engineer could poo poo out consecutively would literally require your entire clip.

I'm sure a bunch of "career engineers" are upset that they can't hit a macro a couple of times and take a player out of the fight entirely though.

Upset career engineer here.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Minis still need another nerf - they need to not slow you/push you back.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

TF2 Update posted:

- Changed the Pomson 6000 ÜberCharge and cloak drain effect's distance fall-off
-- Old: Drain 15 ÜberCharge at point blank and scale down to 0 at 1024 HU
-- New: Drain 10 ÜberCharge from 0 to 512 HU and scale down to 0 at 1536 HU

- Added Arms Race 1 and Arms Race 2 community event medals
- Fixed a bug related to using incorrect particle effects
- Fixed the Scorch Shot flares pushing teammates
- Fixed being able to carry the flag with the Rocket/Sticky Jumpers
- Fixed Sentries shooting over the head of Spies using the Box Trot taunt
- Fixed tf_bot_join_after_player preventing the bots from joining a team after the player joins team Spectator
- Fixed missing secondary attack animations for the Short Circuit
- Fixed the Contracts button on the main menu not being disabled when there are no contracts
- Fixed an exploit related to coaching and the 'autoteam' command
- Fixed Mann vs. Machine maps not resetting properly after a successful vote to change the challenge
- Fixed Stat Clock models not cloaking with the Spy
- Fixed a case where buildings would not go active if they were sapped while being built
- Fixed a display bug that made it look like players had received multiple copies of the same item
- Fixed a regression with the tournament spectator GUI that broke custom HUDs
- Fixed showing "cannot be listed on the Steam Community Market for one week" on listings in the Steam Community Market when that is no longer the case
- Fixed a rare client crash when turning in Contracts
- Updated the Spy Contract objective for destroying buildings to work with the Ap-Sap, the Red-Tape Recorder, and the Snack Attack
- Updated Mann Co. Store prices for foreign currencies to current USD equivalents
- Updated the localization files

- Maps Workshop Beta
-- Improved handling of recently changed workshop maps
-- Fixed a case where servers would fail to load maps that had been updated since the last server restart
-- Fixed a case were clients would not check for new versions when connecting to a workshop server
-- Improved server console output when waiting on map downloads during level change
-- Fixed a case where subscribing to maps while the game was running could result in failure to load the map
-- Fixed a case where joining a server running a workshop map would first wait for all subscribed maps to finish downloading before attempting to download the map at hand
Bunch of fixes and a little tweak to the Pomson's draining mechanic, sounds like they're trying to make it more predictable in how much you actually drain? I'm not too big of a fan of the mechanic as a whole but baby steps.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I'm glad I never got a Spy contract while that was running. That sapper glitch would've been really annoying.

edit: Also it looks like crates come with a checkmark next to the listed item if you have the item already.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 24, 2015

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

quote:

- Fixed Sentries shooting over the head of Spies using the Box Trot taunt
Boooooo

quote:

- Fixed a display bug that made it look like players had received multiple copies of the same item
Man, that one had been around forever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I managed to rack up 107 points on Sniper over a painstaking hour (my accuracy is awful). "No response from server"

I restart the game and my Sniper contract is at 0 points. :lol: :valvebeta:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Anatharon posted:

I managed to rack up 107 points on Sniper over a painstaking hour (my accuracy is awful). "No response from server"

This happened to me with my Snowplow contract. :smithicide:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why did they nerf the caber

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Anatharon posted:

huntsman + jarate = welcome to ez points city. It's especially poo poo for the enemy team when they reach a chokepoint where you can just take potshots without aiming and get headshots. Pretty sure jarate gets you points based on how many people you get with it? Might be wrong there, you'd definitely get them from the assists at least. I'm a poo poo sniper and I'll get a lot of points doing this at least when I feel like playing the class.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

symbolic posted:

This happened to me with my Snowplow contract. :smithicide:

My borneo contract made me into the worst team-stacking shithead in the history of valve servers
but hey I got my 130 in about 15 minutes

I actually like borneo, although that seems like a pretty rare opinion. Red can totally gently caress it up by stacking 4 engies, but that's true of any payload map really.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

awesmoe posted:

My borneo contract made me into the worst team-stacking shithead in the history of valve servers
but hey I got my 130 in about 15 minutes

There's something troubling but also kinda funny about how trying to quickly complete my contracts leads me towards decisions that would otherwise be unjustifiable. Hey I feel sorta bad about spawn camping you on harvest but I need to get these sticky launcher kills. Oh, we lost the round. gently caress you got mine I got paaaaaaid. It's almost as though it's making me adopt a mercenary attitude regarding gameplay.

The bigger problem is that while I am playing tf2 again they've solidly locked my play time to maybe a couple hours or so a week. Now that there are contracts I can complete them and then avoid playing tf2 guilt free!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

mabels big day posted:

Seriously, I want an answer; this is pretty much the only time a demoman nerf has made me genuinely salty

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Anatharon posted:

Time to turn into Pee Guy and just sling your pee around. Or skinny heavy and spray your smg into crowds for assists.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

mabels big day posted:

I think they did it because you can now blow a caber and then pick up a new melee weapon. It's still pretty lame though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I think they did it because you can now blow a caber and then pick up a new melee weapon. It's still pretty lame though.

The stupid csgo mechanic claims another victim.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

Time to turn into Pee Guy and just sling your pee around. Or skinny heavy and spray your smg into crowds for assists.

I genuinely like playing skinny heavy with the SMG but it's too bad you can't use it with jarate or a shield.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have a Medic contract. I don't mind too bad, pubby medic can be kind of fun thanks to long-range crossbow kills.

But apparently the "get an assist while ubering a Demoman" doesn't count? Has anyone seen this and/or a fix for it?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

I have a Medic contract. I don't mind too bad, pubby medic can be kind of fun thanks to long-range crossbow kills.

But apparently the "get an assist while ubering a Demoman" doesn't count? Has anyone seen this and/or a fix for it?

I had to use stock medigun for it to work
that poo poo was agonizing on valve servers

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The caber should probably regenerate over time if it's going to only do 100 damage. I mean two hits with the bottle will do 120ish damage and I think the caber now in two hits is 130? Meanwhile the backscratcher does 80 damage every hit.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I joined a koth_harvest server, and joined the team that was getting rolled, and there were like 60 seconds before we lost

so i went Jag engy, walked onto the middle point, built a sentry while capping, and my level 1 finished off two people trying to stop me - so i grabbed their metal, upgraded to level 2, and two more people died trying to stop me - thankfully the rescue ranger is OP and i was able to keep my sentry alive

so i upgraded it to level 3, and a scout on my team came to help me finish the cap while hollering for a dispenser

a soldier popped onto the roof to see why we were capping and my sentry edged him out and his ammo dropped right on my head, so i built a dispenser for the scout

we loving held that loving point somehow for three loving minutes, while the other team suicided into my level 3 sitting in the middle of the control point while i'm slingin rescue ranger bolts at it and at the end my entire team was surrounding my dispenser and my sentry got 14 kills and 5 assists and suddenly i was the round MVP and someone on the other team called me a human being engineer and left

i had been there on the server at this point for about 4 minutes

anyway that's my tf2 story, good patch

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Why is Ascent's tag BFNS?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Otacon posted:

anyway that's my tf2 story

There is a special place in hell for fun-hating, level-3 sentry-Engies on KoTH maps. I know because I'm going there too. Good story!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Roger Explosion posted:

There is a special place in hell for fun-hating, level-3 sentry-Engies on KoTH maps. I know because I'm going there too. Good story!

i mean, if they can't wrap their heads around destroying a single sentry in a small space for three entire minutes then they probably deserve to have their fun destroyed

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i mean, if they can't wrap their heads around destroying a single sentry in a small space for three entire minutes then they probably deserve to have their fun destroyed

they tried but they couldn't kill it because the rescue ranger is OP when you're sitting on a dispenser

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The rescue ranger is probably the worst item in the game right now.

(But in this case they should have just shot the engineer, why does nobody shoot the engie when they realize they won't be able to blow up the gun)

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
Hard to shoot an engineer when you have to get past his gun to get line-of-sight on him or the wall/floor near him. It would be nice if they made buildings not block explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'm new and terrible at this game. Should I buy a cheap item to increase the drop rate? Which one should I get? I was thinking the Sandwhich.
On the bright side, I'm shocked how fast this runs. I've had lag playing turn-based games online but it's smooth.

• Locked thread