Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Skilleddk posted:

Saw Defeater two days ago in Warsaw, it was the wildest loving show I've been to. Super small, cramped club, tons of people and yet it was no issue getting to the very front. After Brothers they started their heavy stuff and people started climbing on stage and stagediving out. Screamed my lungs out :v: and got a few minor injuries from my own stagediving. Wish my friend took a picture of me after the show, drenched in sweat with a bloody nose. This is what concerts are about.

also got to talk to the guys and they are cool as hell

I've seen Defeater three times now, and every time the crowd is louder than the vocals coming through the PA, it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not sure if it's completely appropriate genre wise to post about it here, but that new Hop Along record is AMAZING.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not sure if it's completely appropriate genre wise to post about it here, but that new Hop Along record is AMAZING.

I'm constantly back and forth on it, but I was a little too obsessed with Sister Cities.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Their first is also amazing, 2/2 bang bang.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bowmore posted:

Their first is also amazing, 2/2 bang bang.

I will likely check it out. I'm one of those dudes where when I find a record by a band that knocks my me on my rear end, I gotta find more if there is any. Which explains my love of Jeff Rosenstock, that motherfucker is prolific and talented.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

TG-Chrono posted:

I'm excited about seeing American Football tonight. Wonder if this tour will lead into a new album.

I don't think so...

I saw them on Friday. I was looking forward to it but didn't really have any expectations either way. I loved it so much

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Haven't read this thread in years but the other week I saw ramshackle glory, mischief brew and dirty kids discount. Such a loving amazing show, the crowd was great and alive, the bands were obviously amazing.

The only poo poo thing was they tried to search my bag and made me pay for them to not search it (and leave it with them, they were also going to make me pay to loving search it). That was on the venue though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has anybody checked out Radkey in here? I saw them opening for Fu Manchu of all bands last night. Three black kids--brothers actually--playing classic sounding punk/garage. A lot of Misfits in this, I think (sonically, not lyrically). They were awesome. Debut album comes out next month.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
good to know that they're black, thanks for including that

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
lol @ you acting as if that wasn't relevant when it comes to The Whitest Music

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
he said they were punk, not polka

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
polka used to be big in south america before white people existed

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has anybody checked out Radkey in here? I saw them opening for Fu Manchu of all bands last night. Three black kids--brothers actually--playing classic sounding punk/garage. A lot of Misfits in this, I think (sonically, not lyrically). They were awesome. Debut album comes out next month.

extremely good poo poo, looking forward to more

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

new gattaca is up for preorder

http://www.halooffliesrecords.com/label-releases/halo86-gattaca-st-lp/

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Anyone here listen to Single Mothers / know bands that sound similar to them? (I found them through Spotify's related artists for Self Defense Family).

Been trawling through the other related artists (Drug Church, End of a Year, etc) but none of the other bands seem to have the same energy / clarity as SM. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the 'frog in throat' sound most of the vocalists tend to have.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
AFAIK End of a Year is literally the same band. Sincerely is still the best thing they've put out. :colbert:

EDIT: I guess that's not fair to say, I haven't listened to Heaven Is Earth, but You Are Beneath Me and Try Me were underwhelming imo.

I'm also a grumpy old man who hates change.

rivals fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008

Primetime posted:

Anyone here listen to Single Mothers / know bands that sound similar to them? (I found them through Spotify's related artists for Self Defense Family).

Been trawling through the other related artists (Drug Church, End of a Year, etc) but none of the other bands seem to have the same energy / clarity as SM. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the 'frog in throat' sound most of the vocalists tend to have.

I can't recommend any similar sounding bands, but I can say that if you get the opportunity to see them live, do it. I had never heard of them, and caught an impromptu set they did at Fest 13, and it was without a doubt the best set I saw the entire weekend.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

rivals posted:

AFAIK End of a Year is literally the same band. Sincerely is still the best thing they've put out. :colbert:

EDIT: I guess that's not fair to say, I haven't listened to Heaven Is Earth, but You Are Beneath Me and Try Me were underwhelming imo.

I'm also a grumpy old man who hates change.

I'm standing behind Heaven is Earth, although Ian Cohen made a good point in his Pitchfork review, the album (and Kindlon) are (sometimes) better on paper than actualized.

I am a huge fan of the post-punk element, though, and have been paying a lot of my time listening to Guided by Voices and Gang of Four.

YABM was one of my favourites, though, and Sincerely was good in parts, but isn't something I listen to very often (that Harrison track is probably one of my most-played songs, however).

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Agreeable Badger posted:

I can't recommend any similar sounding bands, but I can say that if you get the opportunity to see them live, do it. I had never heard of them, and caught an impromptu set they did at Fest 13, and it was without a doubt the best set I saw the entire weekend.

You have no idea how sad this makes me. They played a show in buffalo a few months ago that I was supposed to go to (because a friend of a friends band was opening for them).

The people I was going with bailed and I didn't know enough about SM to go and now I'm kicking myself

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Find a show soon, before the lead singer decides to become a prospector again!

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Has anyone in this thread seen The World is a Beautiful Place and I'm No Longer Afraid to Die? They're playing near me soon and I like them but they seem like an act that could fall flat in a live show.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hobbit posted:

Has anyone in this thread seen The World is a Beautiful Place and I'm No Longer Afraid to Die? They're playing near me soon and I like them but they seem like an act that could fall flat in a live show.

They're playing in my city too and while I haven't seen them live, their live audiotree performance is really killer. Enough to get me to buy tickets at least.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hobbit posted:

They've been really fun both times I've seen them but neither instance was a set longer than half an hour (once at Bled Fest and once opening for Caspian and 65daysofstatic). Is this the tour with Pianos Become the Teeth?

Also I listened to their new album today (press advance) and it's really really good so yeah go see them. For some reason they're going to loving DeKalb instead of Chicago (and it's on a night when I'm working and then seeing High On Fire anyway) so I'm gonna miss it.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 16, 2015

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

They've been really fun both times I've seen them but neither instance was a set longer than half an hour (once at Bled Fest and once opening for Caspian and 65daysofstatic). Is this the tour with Pianos Become the Teeth?

Also I listened to their new album today (press advance) and it's really really good so yeah go see them. For some reason they're going to loving DeKalb instead of Chicago (and it's on a night when I'm working and then seeing High On Fire anyway) so I'm gonna miss it.

Yeah, it's the tour with Pianos Become the Teeth. PBTT isn't really my thing, though.

Edit- I looked up their audiotree performance and I'm pretty sold at this point.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 16, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Depending on how much they are not your thing they still might be worth seeing, or at least staying for a few songs. I haven't seen them since they released their screamless album but they bring it live, especially their drummer. Their rhythm section is also in United Nations now fwiw.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Depending on how much they are not your thing they still might be worth seeing, or at least staying for a few songs. I haven't seen them since they released their screamless album but they bring it live, especially their drummer. Their rhythm section is also in United Nations now fwiw.

They still play the old scream-y stuff live.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I've seen them many times, mostly at house shows, and they have never left me disappointed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

They still play the old scream-y stuff live.

I'm more curious how the clean stuff sounds live.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

I'm more curious how the clean stuff sounds live.

I caught them a couple months ago and they were great. Setlist seemed pretty heavily geared toward softer stuff which translated better than I was expecting live.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So my buddies decided to actually make a record, and it turned out pretty good for being a first time around. They've got a kind of weird folk-punk sound that's kinda like if Tiger Army took cues from classic Dead Kennedys. Check it out if ya want https://betonrats.bandcamp.com/album/easy-now

Gonna see if they'll gen me up a few codes for a free download or let me throw up a zip file or something.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
sideonedummy just signed a local chicago band i've seen a ton of times called meat wave which is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE6q8DNLsRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKVPllF2ITs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jeff Rosenstock and Chris are doing another Antarctigo Vespucci record, no word on if its another EP or a full length.

I love Jeff

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It is a full length.

http://www.stereogum.com/1813972/antarctigo-vespucci-impossible-to-place-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

Jeff Rosenstock and Chris are doing another Antarctigo Vespucci record, no word on if its another EP or a full length.

I love Jeff
It's already up for pre-order, I'm sad because I got no monies

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

It's already up for pre-order, I'm sad because I got no monies

It's going to be on Really which means it'll also be on Quote, so there's that.

edit The Soundcloud page for that track says it's going to be free on Wednesday.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Vegastar posted:

So my buddies decided to actually make a record, and it turned out pretty good for being a first time around. They've got a kind of weird folk-punk sound that's kinda like if Tiger Army took cues from classic Dead Kennedys. Check it out if ya want https://betonrats.bandcamp.com/album/easy-now

Gonna see if they'll gen me up a few codes for a free download or let me throw up a zip file or something.

This is pretty sweet, I'll probably get a physical copy from that link in the bandcamp once I get paid / am not loving broke. Thanks for sharing them dude, can def see the dead kennedys influence thing, dunno tiger army though

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

The new spraynard album is p good but it's also good to see that jade tree is putting poo poo out again

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is it?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ricecop69
Mar 7, 2003
Hopefully there's some Authority Zero fans browsing this thread. Their entire van, trailer and all their gear was stolen in San Antonio while on tour. The van/trailer was recovered but it was emptied out of all their stuff. They've got a gofundme setup here: http://www.gofundme.com/zv9dd4

If anyone can throw them a few bucks to help out an awesome ska-punk band from Arizona, I'm sure they would appreicate it.