Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

burritolingus posted:

Maybe. Are you comfortable playing a mentally challenged person or a really racist stereotype?

I'll do anything for money..... just like Adam Sandler. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBL7Th0vArs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I see my point isn't getting across very clearly. Apparently no one here is aware of what a con is.

Let's put it this way. Have you heard of the bait and switch? Here is the definition:

"the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods."

That's what his movies are. Check out the Red Letter Media video. How does Jack and Jill cost $80,000,000 to make? It doesn't. What he's doing isn't illegal, it's just not (imo) right.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
You're gonna have to point out to me where the "switch" part of this supposed scam is, because 2 internet reviewer nerds gossiping isn't really gonna convince anyone except the converted

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

burritolingus posted:

He's not conning anyone out of their money, though. He provides exactly what he says he's going to provide, everyone knows what kind of movies he makes by this point, and some people really dig his movies. Hey, good on them for enjoying a dumb thing and having some fun in their lives.

when i was a teenager i went to several sandler movies at the theater, based on liking some of his real early films. i felt shortchanged for sure. i dunno if their shittiness was his fault, but it certainly felt like somebody was making a few bucks trading on his name

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
forget it pennywise, it's Sandler-Movie-Town

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The switch is that he made a truly awful movie yet advertised it as a real movie that has production value and things that every movie goer expects.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

N. Senada posted:

forget it pennywise, it's Sandler-Movie-Town

No poo poo dude.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it certainly felt like somebody was making a few bucks trading on his name

hahaha

loving Iron Man 2 ripped me off. It wasn't as good as Iron Man 1 and I'm thinking they only used Robert Downey JR. in it to convince me to go see it!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Schneider bit the hand that fed him and now nobody wants him around

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I see my point isn't getting across very clearly. Apparently no one here is aware of what a con is.

Let's put it this way. Have you heard of the bait and switch? Here is the definition:

"the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods."

That's what his movies are. Check out the Red Letter Media video. How does Jack and Jill cost $80,000,000 to make? It doesn't. What he's doing isn't illegal, it's just not (imo) right.

But for the little guy, for the moviegoer, there's no bait and switch. These things are advertised as being something they are. If you go to an Adam Sandler film expecting anything other than an Adam Sandler film, sorry, but the problem is you (hell, if you go see an Adam Sandler film at all, the problem is you).

As far as him gaming Hollywood, Hollywood is a poo poo place that deserves to be gamed. Good on him for including his friends (and me!) and sharing the wealth. Adam Sandler is like a modern day Robin Hood or something, especially considering all the charity work he does (and no, I'm not talking casting Rob Schneider).

Sorry, but I just can't hate the guy. His films? Yeah, they're lousy and easy to hate. But the man himself? Not so much really no.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 24, 2015

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Adam Sandlers movies suck now as opposed to when I was a kid where his movies were funny for some reason. Also he's a con man because laurel and hardy told me so online

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when i was a teenager i went to several sandler movies at the theater, based on liking some of his real early films. i felt shortchanged for sure. i dunno if their shittiness was his fault, but it certainly felt like somebody was making a few bucks trading on his name

Yeah, maybe in his early days of sucking, like with Little Nicky, you could call him a ripoff. But Little Nicky was a decade and a half ago. Adam Sandler has been bad longer than he's been good film-wise.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wish Sandler would stop brutally owning the world by putting out lovely movies for morons

I suppose I might do the same thing if afforded the opportunity though

"Boku bucks for hacky crap? Sign me up Hollywood!"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
LET THE NERDS TAKE OVER

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Im not like hugely offended by what he does because I'm not about to actually spend my time or money watching him, I just like salvaging some entertainment from the wreckage by hyperbolically criticising how bad it is. It is interesting how brazen everything is though, like it's more than just not trying, it's outright contempt for an audience he doesn't respect. Which is fair enough I guess, if anyone is really worth criticising it is the receptive audience.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
A person in a video online said I shouldn't like Adam Sandler as a person so now I don't. Also everyone goes into the movies expecting the next Citizen Kane always because that's been advertised.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lmäo

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
It's a weird double edged sword, on one hand when you hear jack and jill 2 cost 80 million to make you chuckle and think "well, if Sony actually thought that was 80 mil worth of movie than jokes on them", but at the same time once Sony gets hosed by Sandler's shenanigans Sony is going to turn around and try to make us subsidize the cost of that poo poo pile. It's like a dude was constantly robbing your neighbors you hate but leaving your place alone, however every time you leave for work he is on your porch bugging you to buy the used stereo he came up with somehow.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Cyberball 2072 posted:

It's a weird double edged sword, on one hand when you hear jack and jill 2 cost 80 million to make you chuckle and think "well, if Sony actually thought that was 80 mil worth of movie than jokes on them", but at the same time once Sony gets hosed by Sandler's shenanigans Sony is going to turn around and try to make us subsidize the cost of that poo poo pile. It's like a dude was constantly robbing your neighbors you hate but leaving your place alone, however every time you leave for work he is on your porch bugging you to buy the used stereo he came up with somehow.

lol @ this guy. Sony didn't lose any money you fool, even if the movie made less then 80 million that's still good for them in the end. It's hosed up but hollywood is bonkers man.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Jim Barris posted:

lol @ this guy. Sony didn't lose any money you fool, even if the movie made less then 80 million that's still good for them in the end. It's hosed up but hollywood is bonkers man.

Um didnt you watch the RLM clip posted earlier? Its called THE GREAT ADAM SANDLER COMEDY SWINDLE and he pads his budgets to embezzle MILLIONS!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Um didnt you watch the RLM clip posted earlier? Its called THE GREAT ADAM SANDLER COMEDY SWINDLE and he pads his budgets to embezzle MILLIONS!

Honestly, I'm surprised people didn't know about this before considering the Sony hack was in the news for a month, with Sony executives dislike for Sandler coming through in many of the e-mails.

quote:

Emails unearthed by The Daily Beast reveal that the studio wasn’t happy with Sandler’s behavior on the set of Hotel Transylvania 2, as well as a studio pitch on a film adaptation of the board game Candyland that led Pascal to brand the 48-year-old actor—who has a reputation as one of the nicest guys in Hollywood—an “rear end in a top hat.”

A distressed and apologetic email dated Sept. 23 of this year from Hannah Minghella, co-president of production for Columbia Pictures, to Pascal and other execs details her frustrations with Team Sandler over a Candyland meeting gone terribly awry—with Sandler allegedly cornering studio execs and demanding that they green-light the $200 million film project on the spot.

“Adam is an asshile [sic] and this is more his fault than anyone’s but what we did was not communicate with each other and make assumptions maybe I didn’t pay attention when you were telling me what I was walking into but it also comes from a non alien meant between us all and too many people doing everything and no one taking responsibility and I mean myself as it is my responsibility to let you guys know what I want to breath [sic] life into,” replied Pascal.

Doug Belgrad, president of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s motion picture group, also weighs in on the chain to Pascal, clearing Minghella of any blame and placing it more on Sandler’s own issues with his fading star power.

“On Candyland, [Minghella] was just servicing Adam,” wrote Belgrad. “You knew from when Venit called you last week and what I told you that it was all a zhiv, but Sandler is so on guard for it, there was no chance to pull that off. You said yourself that Adam was gonna be angry and you said you didn’t care you couldn’t fix what was really bothering him that he isn’t the guy he once was and nobody can make that better for him.”

Another email dated Oct. 14 from Michelle Raimo Kouyate, president of production for Sony Pictures Animation, points to further tension with Sandler and his team over the production expenses on Hotel Transylvania 2. Apparently, Sandler wanted his pal/producing partner Allen Covert, who provided several of the voices and helped produce the first Hotel film, to be kicked an extra $100,000 for his producing fee—which Sony brass wasn’t too pleased about.

“Ok but we are going to hold firm about not paying extra $$ to Covert for producing fee—we are at the $500k EP max,” wrote Kouyate.

“100 percent… They are such assholes,” Pascal replied.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why hate on Sandler? Shouldn't you be hating on the masses who go and pay and watch his movies? And lol at taking the side of hollywood execs

Why should Sandler ever try to change if he's making mad bank generating turd after turd. No need to change what's not broken

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 24, 2015

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
you guys are dumb if you think sandler is the only one who does this

you never heard of "hollywood accounting" https://www.google.com/search?num=1....95.jcbo2iBJ9dA

hollywood is and has always been super shadey

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
sandler is smart and i want to be him when i grow up

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Simstim posted:

you guys are dumb if you think sandler is the only one who does this

It's not us who think he's the only one doing it, it's the people here saying this poo poo doesn't happen. And then when they see he is doing this they say, "Oh, well poo poo. Good for him for loving everyone and making ridiculous amounts of money at the expense of others!"

Some wonderful morals there. Then again this is GBS so I don't know what I'm expecting. Too much of course.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
movies suck, so what

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Let me just say that as I become older and gaier I'm more and more mad at these assholes who cherry pick things I'm nostalgic about and package and sell them to people whose youth I'm jealous of.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

It's not us who think he's the only one doing it, it's the people here saying this poo poo doesn't happen. And then when they see he is doing this they say, "Oh, well poo poo. Good for him for loving everyone and making ridiculous amounts of money at the expense of others!"

Some wonderful morals there. Then again this is GBS so I don't know what I'm expecting. Too much of course.

every major studio has been cooking its books longer than living memory. that's how long this poo poo has been going on. it is par the course. you are singling out sandler for what is common behavior in hollywood.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Simstim posted:

every major studio has been cooking its books longer than living memory. that's how long this poo poo has been going on. it is par the course. you are singling out sandler for what is common behavior in hollywood.

That's because this thread is specifically about Sandler. :confused:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

That's because this thread is specifically about Sandler. :confused:

because we live in a world without context

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

notZaar posted:

Let me just say that as I become older and gaier I'm more and more mad at these assholes who cherry pick things I'm nostalgic about and package and sell them to people whose youth I'm jealous of.

I legitimately hate it when something is blatantly designed to appeal to me because it reminds me that I'm actually quantifiable as a demographic rather than a unique and complex individual.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cyberball 2072 posted:

It's a weird double edged sword, on one hand when you hear jack and jill 2 cost 80 million to make you chuckle and think "well, if Sony actually thought that was 80 mil worth of movie than jokes on them", but at the same time once Sony gets hosed by Sandler's shenanigans Sony is going to turn around and try to make us subsidize the cost of that poo poo pile.

Jim Barris posted:

lol @ this guy. Sony didn't lose any money you fool, even if the movie made less then 80 million that's still good for them in the end.

The gently caress are you guys talking about? Jack and Jill made $149 million (worldwide), it was a massive success. Grown Ups 2 cost $80m and made $247m, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry cost $85m and made $186m, You Don't Mess with the Zohan cost $90m and made $200m, etc etc.. He's a runaway profit-making monster. We'll probably get sequels for Pixels and Jack and Jill.

(That's My Boy and Little Nicky were the odd ones out, neither of them made their money back.)

The Red Letter Media guys were right, though. His earlier films like Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore and The Wedding Singer all cost between $10 to $18m but just two years later (starting with Little Nicky) all his films suddenly cost $80m. There must some some weird money laundering tax avoidance scheme going on there.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

But I'm being real here. Josh Gad's character fell in love with 80s arcade game character lady, and gets to fight with her side by side in the final battle by confessing his love for her after all these years. Later, when the aliens leave in defeat they dissolve all the violent video game character things INCLUDING Josh Gad's video game squeeze. They leave behind Q*Bert since something something he was a trophy for the humans, and so as a final parting gift the aliens transform Q*Bert into 80s arcade game character lady. Adam Sandler points out how odd this is, the credits roll, and there's an after credits scene where it's revealed that Gad and 80s arcade game character lady's children are all Q*Berts.

I'm guessing nobody involved in this film has played a game in their life, they just saw Wreck It Ralph and thought Q Bert was still a popular character.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Wait hold on, how much of a loving jerk do you have to be to look at the Sony/Adam Sandler feud and side with Sony? Not defending Adam's string of awful comedies here but good lord he should be celebrated for squeezing as much money as possible out of those dirtbags.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

CombineThresher posted:

Wait hold on, how much of a loving jerk do you have to be to look at the Sony/Adam Sandler feud and side with Sony? Not defending Adam's string of awful comedies here but good lord he should be celebrated for squeezing as much money as possible out of those dirtbags.

It's more that if you suddenly decided to increase the "operating expenses" of your small business to 400% what they were the year before (thus shielding more of your earnings from taxation via offset losses), the IRS would drop the people's elbow on you. Yet since this is Hollywood, and you can't really measure the true value of an in-demand actor just based on one flop... etc. Maybe Sandler's magic touch is really worth 80,000,000 USD for Jack and Jill.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Sandler's magic touch is worth about 150 million dollars it seems

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only Sandler movie I can stomach is Little Nicky. And thats only because I was a retarded metal fan in my teens and the movie is spot on mockery of everything I though was "cool".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The only media of Adam Sandler I will smile at will be his 'In Memoriam' at the Oscars.
Hope its loving soon.

• Locked thread