Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Well, you get more TDP flexibility on the part of the CPU and iGPU between the higher TDP on the top end pieces and the 5-10(?) ish watts saved by moving the voltage regulators back off the package. I'm sorta surprised they did that since the trend for so long has been increasing integration and simplification of packaging stuff drive by the THIN SMALL LIGHT mania for laptops and tablets.
Their mobile Skylake/NUC chips may still have FIVR, as it was an appreciated feature there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gwaihir posted:

Well, you get more TDP flexibility on the part of the CPU and iGPU between the higher TDP on the top end pieces and the 5-10(?) ish watts saved by moving the voltage regulators back off the package. I'm sorta surprised they did that since the trend for so long has been increasing integration and simplification of packaging stuff drive by the THIN SMALL LIGHT mania for laptops and tablets.

There is only so much you can intehrate onto the CPU package before it becomes pointless. Cache, memory controller, Northbridge and GPU made sense, but little point using a FIVR when you are still stuck with using comparatively huge power supply circuits located right beside the chip.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Saving a rail can save a PCB layer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What are y'all thoughts on the rumor that Broadwell EP/EX is getting skipped?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-may-cancel-xeon-broadwell-chips-to-speed-up-arrival-of-xeon-skylake/

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

With how much Broadwell on desktop was delayed, it was always going to be interesting how Intel dealt with the server versions. Canceling Broadwell-EX is probably the right choice - it's better to make people wait a little longer for the major Skylake update than pissing them off by making them buy Broadwell and then release the follow-up much earlier than they expect (if they even buy it at all - people who follow their releases may well just choose to skip Broadwell anyway).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Broadwell seems like a footnote to anyone but laptop OEMs at this point.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

GokieKS posted:

it's better to make people wait a little longer for the major Skylake update than pissing them off by making them buy Broadwell

I was going to say, who's forcing anyone to buy Broadwell? I'm sure OEMs can just wait.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do the -T CPUs use less power on an average / mixed workload, or just have a lower peak TDP but require a similar amount of total Watt-hours to execute a given workload? I guess I'm just curious if the low-TDP CPUs are made for thermal reasons or electricity efficiency reasons.

What about the ULV notebook CPUs? Does it take an i5-5250u less total electricity to do a workload than say, a top-end desktop i3?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

El Scotch posted:

Xeon D looks pretty cool.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

El Scotch posted:

Laptop OEMs = Litereally half the market if not more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boiled Water posted:

As far as consumer systems go, probably closer to 80%.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Didn't say it was a bad thing. It's just not something I've seen much interest in from 'enthusiasts' in system building or upgrades.

'broadwell? Eh, I'll wait.'

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Twerk from Home posted:

Do the -T CPUs use less power on an average / mixed workload, or just have a lower peak TDP but require a similar amount of total Watt-hours to execute a given workload? I guess I'm just curious if the low-TDP CPUs are made for thermal reasons or electricity efficiency reasons.

What about the ULV notebook CPUs? Does it take an i5-5250u less total electricity to do a workload than say, a top-end desktop i3?

I've been wondering the same thing for desktop processors e.g. the 4690S, 4690, and 4690K.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 23, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

S and T CPUs are binned to run at high clocks-per-watt at significantly lower voltages, so it's both thermals and energy efficiency. The best part about those cpus is that if the iGPU isn't used at all, they pretty much run at full 4-core turbo all the time so you get balls-out compute power per watt (#1 reason why I shop for T chips over K chips like everyone else does).

This isn't always the case with laptop and embedded ULV chips, which need pretty much everything running below a thermal power envelope and the i5s and ULV i7s are often dual-core+SMT parts. However, the standard sized laptop Haswell i7 chips are binned for amazing overall performance per watt and as a result are higher priced per unit than most everything else for consumers.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 23, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

S and T CPUs are binned to run at high clocks-per-watt at significantly lower voltages, so it's both thermals and energy efficiency. The best part about those cpus is that if the iGPU isn't used at all, they pretty much run at full 4-core turbo all the time so you get balls-out compute power per watt (#1 reason why I shop for T chips over K chips like everyone else does).
Ooooooooo, thanks for that hint.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/24/intel-skylake-processors-leaked-slides/

I don't think this was posted since it seems to be published a few hours ago

quote:

The leaked slides reveal that Skylake processors will provide a 10%-20% CPU performance boost in single and multi-threaded applications, with lower power consumption, and 30% faster Intel HD integrated graphics performance on average compared to current-generation Broadwell processors. The improved energy efficiency will also result in up to 30% longer battery life.

If true does this mean waiting for Skylake is a much better idea than most thought? Or am I a bigger idiot than I thought and this means nothing

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It says preliminary data in the top right corner. Might as well say 'wishful thinking'.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Botnit posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/24/intel-skylake-processors-leaked-slides/

I don't think this was posted since it seems to be published a few hours ago

If true does this mean waiting for Skylake is a much better idea than most thought? Or am I a bigger idiot than I thought and this means nothing

I'd assume those are cherry picked benchmarks to extremely specific workloads. It confirms what we expected, Skylake's biggest gains will be in the iGPU and battery life, exactly like Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd assume those are cherry picked benchmarks to extremely specific workloads. It confirms what we expected, Skylake's biggest gains will be in the iGPU and battery life, exactly like Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Broadwell.
Welp, gonna have my Ivy Bridge 3570K until I die.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Even the Intel thread is hoping that AMD's Zen is worth a poo poo :allears:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

It says preliminary data in the top right corner. Might as well say 'wishful thinking'.

a 10% perf increase is believable enough tbh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Josh Lyman posted:

5% gain every year actually adds up after a while.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Even the Intel thread is hoping that AMD's Zen is worth a poo poo :allears:

Everyone is hoping this since treating huge international companies like they were sports teams to be rooted for is a very unhelpful exersize.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

Everyone is hoping this since treating huge international companies like they were sports teams to be rooted for is a very unhelpful exersize.

well in this context intel is manchester united; the juggernaut that only scrubs that want to see money/influence triumph over pluck and determination root for. whereas amd is uh... yeah i've reached the limits of my knowledge of football.

that is, the sports team analogy is actually fairly apt if you want to get meta about it

e: my next processor upgrade will probably be simply as a consequence of buying a mini itx motherboard so i can replace my (anachronistically gargantuan) mid tower define r4 case with something smaller. excitement about cpu performance increase would probably take a back seat compared to peripheral features like pci-e ssds, new usb standards etc

e2: also zen will probably blow. here's hoping i'm wrong though

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 24, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Me too. This little bugger has proven itself a good buy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
because yall are seriously CPU limited :rolleyes:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Generic Monk posted:

well in this context intel is manchester united; the juggernaut that only scrubs that want to see money/influence triumph over pluck and determination root for. whereas amd is uh... yeah i've reached the limits of my knowledge of football.

that is, the sports team analogy is actually fairly apt if you want to get meta about it

AMD is a boy's u10 soccer team in Nebraska, in this analogy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I, for one, am glad Skylake is looking decent and the next gen is delayed. Makes the decision that much easier. :getin:

computer parts posted:

Compound performance!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

This plucky little 2500K I've got is going to outlast the previous record, set by the Athlon 1600+ way back in the heady days of 2001. She died in the winter of 2006, after 5 wonderful years of Jedi Knight, BF1942, and Warcraft 3.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

Yep. Thats why I am so looking forward to Skylake. Because I haven't upgraded my CPU since 2008.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

go3 posted:

because yall are seriously CPU limited :rolleyes:

I'm all excited about Skylake's lower TDP and getting USB3 ports vs. my 5 year old Bloomfield Core i7 930 @ 130 W TDP, but the fact of the matter is that this CPU is serving me just fine. Since I updated my PSU, HSF, case, and GPU earlier in the year, my system is both cool and practically silent. And I don't have any USB3 devices.

Moving forward it seems like I only need to add more RAM, move to a larger SSD, and eventually upgrade my GPU again only if I run into games which are limited by my current setup. And yet, I don't game much these days AND I'm more frugal. It seems like my real drive to upgrade is mostly out of habit; I've never kept a CPU/motherboard/RAM combo for more than 3 years before now.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The only real performance-boner reason to get any new Intel chip these days is to see how much compute power you can get out of a low-TDP binned chip and Haswell was an immense improvement over Ivy Bridge in that part. I wouldn't hold my breath for Skylake doing a similar jump if they took out the FIVR out of their mobile and low-TDP models.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yep. Thats why I am so looking forward to Skylake. Because I haven't upgraded my CPU since 2008.
I agree, Skylake is looking promising. My Q6700 is beginning to show its age.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'm all excited about Skylake's lower TDP and getting USB3 ports vs. my 5 year old Bloomfield Core i7 930 @ 130 W TDP, but the fact of the matter is that this CPU is serving me just fine. Since I updated my PSU, HSF, case, and GPU earlier in the year, my system is both cool and practically silent. And I don't have any USB3 devices.

Moving forward it seems like I only need to add more RAM, move to a larger SSD, and eventually upgrade my GPU again only if I run into games which are limited by my current setup. And yet, I don't game much these days AND I'm more frugal. It seems like my real drive to upgrade is mostly out of habit; I've never kept a CPU/motherboard/RAM combo for more than 3 years before now.

Nehalem was a hugely long lasting chip, but as someone that did the jump from an i7-920 @ 3.6ghz to a 3770 @ 4.5ghz, the performance increase was real. Not just video encoding, but in many games as well.

I probably would have been fine to be patient and wait for Skylake since the jump wasn't hugely dramatic, in the 20ish FPS range from 45-65ish, (In cryengine games, which admittedly do like their CPU power), but my motherboard was getting seriously wheezy after a lightning strike came in over my cable modem and killed the onboard nic.

Still probably going to build a Skylake system to try and further optimize my machine for silence.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At this point I'm holding on to my 2500K until they make IGPs that hit like my current good-by-2011-standards card. There's some PC exclusives that still call for that but are still worth playing if you don't have a 970 or whatever, and for everything else I've got a PS4 and I'm tired of chasing the graphics dragon.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I was checking around for BIOS updates on my work T430s (Ivy Bridge) and lo and behold, there was one from last month to "Support Windows 10" and patch a DRAM Row Hammer vulnerability (which I have no idea what they did -- I can see them modifying the MRC in the BIOS if Intel pushed a new release of that, or playing games with timings / caching / page tables, maybe Jawn or someone has a better idea). That reminded me to see if anything was around for my P8P67 PRO and of course not, last update was in 2012.

Wonder if there will be some irritating, minor ACPI / EFI related bugs/glitches when I toss Windows 10 onto that machine. I figure for Lenovo, they want the trusted platform stuff, CompuTrace, AMT and other enterprise/business-class features to keep working, though I guess they could have also not done anything so corporate fleets would have to get new machines.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

movax posted:

I was checking around for BIOS updates on my work T430s (Ivy Bridge) and lo and behold, there was one from last month to "Support Windows 10" and patch a DRAM Row Hammer vulnerability (which I have no idea what they did -- I can see them modifying the MRC in the BIOS if Intel pushed a new release of that, or playing games with timings / caching / page tables, maybe Jawn or someone has a better idea). That reminded me to see if anything was around for my P8P67 PRO and of course not, last update was in 2012.

Wonder if there will be some irritating, minor ACPI / EFI related bugs/glitches when I toss Windows 10 onto that machine. I figure for Lenovo, they want the trusted platform stuff, CompuTrace, AMT and other enterprise/business-class features to keep working, though I guess they could have also not done anything so corporate fleets would have to get new machines.

Could be unrelated but almost every mobo has BIOS updates in the last two months because the UEFI needs updated for PCIE SSDs

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I just installed it on my Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 and so far so good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

At this point I'm holding on to my 2500K until they make IGPs that hit like my current good-by-2011-standards card. There's some PC exclusives that still call for that but are still worth playing if you don't have a 970 or whatever, and for everything else I've got a PS4 and I'm tired of chasing the graphics dragon.
I just bought a (small) case to build a PC in it...eventually, but I've got similar logic. My main machine is a Mac so this will be for gaming (kinda, it was more of a spur of the moment purchase) but I figure I probably won't play it that much and I'm down with crappy settings, so I'm hoping Skylake's IGP is fine for a while.

Plus it seems like the GPU world is kind of on the tail end of the current/last generation stuff before HBM2 and AMD/NV's next architectures (and finally a node shrink?), I figure I might as well wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

japtor posted:

Plus it seems like the GPU world is kind of on the tail end of the current/last generation stuff before HBM2 and AMD/NV's next architectures (and finally a node shrink?), I figure I might as well wait for that.
We also may have low profile cards worth a drat