Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I guess I have an Ant-Man av now? Thank you, mystery benefactor :toot: 🐜🐜🐜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Usually these comic movie threads have a lot more arguing, is this one unpopular or something?

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

effectual posted:

Usually these comic movie threads have a lot more arguing, is this one unpopular or something?

What is there to argue about? It was a fun movie, with a few minor issues. Not a bad addition to the MCU. I definitely enjoyed it more than Avengers: AOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tikifire posted:

What is there to argue about? It was a fun movie, with a few minor issues. Not a bad addition to the MCU. I definitely enjoyed it more than Avengers: AOU

I'm going to see it soon, but to the people that have seen it, do you feel its the "comedy" of the MCU? I keep kind of hearing reviews/thought that the theme Marvel was going for the Ant-man series was more comedic then the more series Avengers, spy thriller Captain America, etc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BexGu posted:

I'm going to see it soon, but to the people that have seen it, do you feel its the "comedy" of the MCU? I keep kind of hearing reviews/thought that the theme Marvel was going for the Ant-man series was more comedic then the more series Avengers, spy thriller Captain America, etc.

It's pretty similar tonally to Guardians.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's pretty similar tonally to Guardians.

Nah I'd disagree with that. Ant Man's tone is more like a kid friendly stoner comedy.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

effectual posted:

I dunno, I feel it's an obscure character and it's a unexpectedly good movie, personally I went in with low expectations expecting great visuals and comic book action and it delivered vastly more than I thought it would.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

effectual posted:

Most of the people who hate marvel films have segregated themselves into their own thread, and there isn't much to argue about with Ant-Man. Also SMG hasn't posted an absurd reading yet, prolly getting ready for Suicide Squad.

Comedy Answer: anyone who would argue over Ant-Man is currently too embarassed over being wrong about their marvel Doom predictions a third time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One thing I liked about this film was how Scott didn't win his ex-wife back or whatever, or that her new husband didn't turn into a supervillain himself, but rather a large part of Scott's arc was learning to accept Bobby Cannavale as a valid part of his daughter's life.

I know people have made this pun before, but the smaller cope of this film really helped keep it a little more fresh in comparison to some of the other Marvel films.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i totally agree.

Neurolimal posted:

Most of the people who hate marvel films have segregated themselves into their own thread, and there isn't much to argue about with Ant-Man. Also SMG hasn't posted an absurd reading yet, prolly getting ready for Suicide Squad.

Comedy Answer: anyone who would argue over Ant-Man is currently too embarassed over being wrong about their marvel Doom predictions a third time.
It's too bad Hardy had to drop from SuiSquad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

One thing I liked about this film was how Scott didn't win his ex-wife back or whatever, or that her new husband didn't turn into a supervillain himself, but rather a large part of Scott's arc was learning to accept Bobby Cannavale as a valid part of his daughter's life.

I know people have made this pun before, but the smaller cope of this film really helped keep it a little more fresh in comparison to some of the other Marvel films.

I hadn't ever managed to articulate that point, but very much yes, I did like that it wasn't a storybook ending for Scott's family.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Let's all be glad that Marvel doesn't have the rights to the F4 so we don't have to worry about Dr. Doom showing up and murdering Scott's daughter in a terrible storyline.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Let's all be glad that Marvel doesn't have the rights to the F4 so we don't have to worry about Dr. Doom showing up and murdering Scott's daughter in a terrible storyline.

I severely doubt anything like that would fly in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Even in the comics it was basically undone, if I am remembering correctly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

effectual posted:

I guess that's one of the downsides of not being so tied in to the cinematic universe as a whole, you don't get the huge amounts of :speculate: that come from people trying to figure out how it will effect the canon or where it ties into Avengers 3: The Ghost Dimension or whatever. It was just a fun and funny movie.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Just saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty good, but it got me wondering about the influence that Marvel/Disney are bound to have on the filmmakers to ensure that the products feel like MCU material.
At times I was trying to picture a lost Edgar Wright version and could see how it might not fit into stylistic format that Marvel has on lock now.

Especially now that the whole universe is established, I hope there's some more variation in tones and styles in future films. Cohesion is great and all but once we get to 20+ movies, I feel like it's going to get suffocating.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Question about some speculation from earlier in the thread:

Someone said that the Quantum Realm stuff might tie in to the Doctor Strange movie, but Strange is all about magic, right? What connection am I missing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

effectual posted:

i totally agree.

It's too bad Hardy had to drop from SuiSquad.

They cloned him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WarLocke posted:

Question about some speculation from earlier in the thread:

Someone said that the Quantum Realm stuff might tie in to the Doctor Strange movie, but Strange is all about magic, right? What connection am I missing?

Considering what the average person knows about Quantum Physics, it might as well be magic?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

Considering what the average person knows about Quantum Physics, it might as well be magic?

Yeah, the statements from Feige seemed to me much more Look at all this weird and wacky stuff; Dr. Strange messes with these forces all the time" and less "His magic is based on quantum mechanics explicitly"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the statements from Feige seemed to me much more Look at all this weird and wacky stuff; Dr. Strange messes with these forces all the time" and less "His magic is based on quantum mechanics explicitly"

Oh, so they're gonna make Strange just another tech dude like everything else in the MCU I guess... :negative:

VVV: I think maybe my thinkmeat wasn't/isn't working properly and I misread that post of yours. :saddowns:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 26, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

WarLocke posted:

Oh, so they're gonna make Strange just another tech dude like everything else in the MCU I guess... :negative:

Huh? I don't think anything about tech was mentioned.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

effectual posted:

There were no glaring flaws in this movie. That's not to say it's a masterpiece of cinema, it just has no serious warts the way AoU has.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

There were no glaring flaws in this movie. That's not to say it's a masterpiece of cinema, it just has no serious warts the way AoU has.

Give it a week or two. Then goons will start to hate it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In cinema, quantum physics is not a real academic discipline or scientific model, but is instead a code word for magic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bongo Bill posted:

In cinema, quantum physics is not a real academic discipline or scientific model, but is instead a code word for magic.

http://youtu.be/lS9D6w1GzGY

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

WarLocke posted:

Give it a week or two. Then goons will start to hate it.

That's a lot longer honeymoon than anything else in the mcu so far.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

jivjov posted:

It's all about alternate dimensions more than anything. Strange's powerset isn't being hosed with at least.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Bongo Bill posted:

Professor Farnsworth posted:

”As Deepak Chopra taught us, quantum physics means anything can happen at any time for no reason! Also that animals have never had a war. Who's the real animal?
"

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure Feige means that Dr. Strange is going to get into alternate dimensions even more and completely mess with the current perceptions of space-time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Reset Smith posted:

I severely doubt anything like that would fly in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Even in the comics it was basically undone, if I am remembering correctly.

It was. Scott's revenge on Doom was really well done in Matt Fraction's FF storyline, but the Ant Man movie makes her too valuable to keep dead. Ten years ago, Scott Lang was considered expendable enough to get blown up with little fanfare.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw the movie this evening, enjoyed it pretty well. Not one of the great MCU movies in my opinion, but a fun evening. Michael Douglas stole the show for me as a crotchety old retired superhero who can still teach his new protege a thing or two about punching bad guys in the face. Lang's support crew was funny if vaguely racist, and everyone else including Rudd felt serviceable but unremarkable. Never thought I'd feel bad over the death of an ant in a comic book movie, and I'm happy the movie hit the breaks on the stepdad being an rear end in a top hat before the end.

Something I appreciated about the movie's pacing that I haven't seen anyone comment on, Lang's fight with Falcon nicely foreshadowed the Yellowjacket fight and how Lang defeated him in the end. Up against a guy in a form of powered armor, shrink to get at the control circuitry and power source from the inside.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ensign_Ricky posted:

...says the guy who just advocated selling superweapons to actual Nazis.

I cannot tell you how awesome seeing an MST3k referenced shoehorned in like that is.

This is from a few pages back (and I just got back from Ant Man, loved it) but umm.... you know Jet Jaguar is a real thing in the Godzilla series? It's not MST3K (even tho they rightfully make fun of it).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

One bit of foreshadowing I liked:

So he gets out of the quantum realm by plugging in one of those grow-discs to his belt, right? Except that was actually the second disc he pulled out, he lost his grip on the first one and it went sailing away. So there's a convenient way to bring the Wasp back eventually, if time is wonky there just say she got a hold of the disc and did the same thing, bam. It even holds up internally because the discs were introduced as a recent invention, so she wouldn't have had any to use that way during the missile thing in '87.

Also I found the prospect of the daughter keeping the giant ant as a pet way too funny. Man, that's one hosed-up dog...

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked the Falcon fight and know it was for pacing purposes but it would have been kinda fun if he ran into Vision who gave him a look and waved him on through.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Vintersorg posted:

This is from a few pages back (and I just got back from Ant Man, loved it) but umm.... you know Jet Jaguar is a real thing in the Godzilla series? It's not MST3K (even tho they rightfully make fun of it).

...No, I live in a cave.

I was referring to the PUNCH! PUNCH! PUNCH! part.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I know. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jbj8lLspac

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What was the reference joke? I don't remember

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Also was the CGI/de-aging used for the opening scene with Michael Douglas REALLY good or am I just easily impressed?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Also was the CGI/de-aging used for the opening scene with Michael Douglas REALLY good or am I just easily impressed?

It was pretty impressive and they were smart about not dwelling on it for too long to make the flaws stand out. It's kinda scary, it won't be many years before that tech is completely unnoticeable. Just compare this to Jeff Bridges in Tron 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the de-aged Bridges looks weird as gently caress, but as Clu? I think it works. It looks unsettling and off...but Clu isn't a human.

• Locked thread