Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RodShaft posted:

Meh. I really liked the town I lived in for 6 years(Waverly), every state that's not The South has it's goods and bads.

For content, if anyone ever visits the south(first off, don't) check out the plaque on any given statue in whatever town you're visiting(there'll be a statue, it's in the square across from the antique store/"museum"). It really tries to make it sound like they won the civil war, and is hilarious.

You mean every state has its good and its bads but lets ignore that to support your narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I love that their culinary claim to fame is the single most tasteless cut of meat you can get on a pig.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Iowa: that cut you can get in supermarkets? yea, thats our poo poo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.tumblr.com/video_file/124933807021/tumblr_nrzyrkxrbT1tvbnql

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Considering what ive had in restaurants passing through iowa imsurprised that chop wasnt boiled and served on a bed of iceberg and saltines

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

my mom is my sister and she'd be proud that I'm on the teevee

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Big Centipede posted:

Considering what ive had in restaurants passing through iowa imsurprised that chop wasnt boiled and served on a bed of iceberg and saltines

i heard they got a thai place now

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Blue Raider posted:

Not only that, but we flavor it with...

wait for it...

SALT!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

Innovative Bachelor Apartment 2pm porkcop.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
after the whole iowa chop thing ive completely done a 180 on jastiger. he is a v funny poster and is welcome in the southlands anytime

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Blue Raider posted:

he prob breaks so many of the fuckers fender quit sending him the good stuff

probably.

actually squires have gotten better in the last few years and it's not like anyone can really tell the difference when you're playing live.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tricky D posted:

Not only that, but we flavor it with...

wait for it...

SALT!

Just my opinion, but the pork chop is the most flavourless cut of meat with the worst texture on any animal, and cooking it traditionally (pan fried or grilled) means that there is almost nothing you can do to fix that. Why someone would think to brag about that is beyond me. The only reason I can think of it being held in that manner of esteem is old people growing up during the depression getting to eat one of them a year (because they couldn't have beef, and this pre-dated BBQ ribs and pulled pork in the North) and thinking it was the greatest thing they ever tasted.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Seriously. Don't they have cows in Iowa? In what way would an IOWA CHOP be any better than any cut of a cow done up medium rare?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Don't take it too far guys. Pork hops are delicious. I mean, just grilling one shouldn't be your state's claim to fame, but they are good.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

Seriously. Don't they have cows in Iowa? In what way would an IOWA CHOP be any better than any cut of a cow done up medium rare?

Iowa beef is pretty popular here too actually. But it doesn't have the cultural aspects of an IOWA CHOP (btw this should be mandatory caps through SA forums coding or something), or an tenderloin that some people like.

Its probably IOWA CHOPS, Iowa beef, and microbrews that are the biggest deal in Iowa right now.

Whats the microbrew scene in the South like? Does it exist?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Jastiger posted:

Whats the microbrew scene in the South like? Does it exist?

Yup. Bunch of assholes with beards trying to figure out ways to cram more hops in their newest IPA just like everywhere else in the US.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Dregs posted:

Yup. Bunch of assholes with beards trying to figure out ways to cram more hops in their newest IPA just like everywhere else in the US.

no region in the US is free of tattoo covered west coast transplants trying to crank the hop factor up to 11.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Dregs posted:

maybe in like tennessee or some other backward shithole they're just now discovering ipas, but it's been old news for a while now everywhere else

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

comes along bort posted:

maybe in like tennessee or some other backward shithole they're just now discovering ipas, but it's been old news for a while now everywhere else

The best beer cities I've been to have been in the Appalachians :confused:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

skylined! posted:

The best beer cities I've been to have been in the Appalachians :confused:

Not as much fresh water for beer making there, is there? I don't know, I"m just guessing at it, since all the major brands are made in the North West, North East, or in Colorado and Iowa.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The American South .jpg

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

asheville is a really good beer city

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

Not as much fresh water for beer making there, is there? I don't know, I"m just guessing at it, since all the major brands are made in the North West, North East, or in Colorado and Iowa.

you're forgetting a plucky little brewery in st louis

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

you're forgetting a plucky little brewery in st louis

You're right I am. Dang. Also KC with Boulevard. And Wisconsin. Well poo poo, they got beer pretty much everywhere BUT the South then don't they?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

The American South .jpg

Deliverance.jpg :banjo:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThirdPartyView posted:

Deliverance.jpg :banjo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNEacVXRQg

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jastiger posted:

You're right I am. Dang. Also KC with Boulevard. And Wisconsin. Well poo poo, they got beer pretty much everywhere BUT the South then don't they?

https://abita.com

Some people swear by the turbodog, purple haze or the seasonal strawberry (women love this one) but amber and andygator is where it's at. You can probably even find some in des moines, I'd recommend the abita amber to go with an iowa chop, to at least give you some flavor with your meal.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boner Zone posted:

https://abita.com

Some people swear by the turbodog, purple haze or the seasonal strawberry (women love this one) but amber and andygator is where it's at. You can probably even find some in des moines, I'd recommend the abita amber to go with an iowa chop, to at least give you some flavor with your meal.

Heard of them, but don't see them a lot. I think they're regional and not very popular, though according to this list

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/top50breweries.html

it seems its the bigger, and looks like only, major Southern brewery. Interesting beer chat!

Edit: Reported for not capitalizing IOWA CHOP.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm moving out of the south on Thursday and I'm p scared. I'm gonna miss my BBQ

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

buddhanc posted:

I'm moving out of the south on Thursday and I'm p scared. I'm gonna miss my BBQ

Depending on where you go it'll be like you never left. Source: lived in Pennsyltucky for six years and hicks being hicks and hokey spite knows no boundaries.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jastiger posted:

I've asked people that have confederate flats up or visible why they do and it's always about southern pride. I ask what they are more proud of, the slavery, the obesity, or the reliance on the fed and they get mad for some reason.

I want a real answer dammit.

Maybe it's the fanatical love & unbridled devotion of college/HS sports teams but irrational apathy when their yearly school's budget get cut by Republican politicians? Love the football coach but hate the science teacher.

I think that's quite telling about Southern "pride".

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Indubitable Leg posted:

Depending on where you go it'll be like you never left. Source: lived in Pennsyltucky for six years and hicks being hicks and hokey spite knows no boundaries.

going to vail. I think the hicks there are even rich

maybe I'll open up my own bbq shack

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jastiger posted:

Heard of them, but don't see them a lot. I think they're regional and not very popular, though according to this list

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/top50breweries.html

it seems its the bigger, and looks like only, major Southern brewery. Interesting beer chat!

Edit: Reported for not capitalizing IOWA CHOP.

Abita is easy to get in the Northeast and relatively popular. Everywhere out of the South I've been I've been able to find it and it's well regarded.

If you count Texas as part of the south they have quite a few microbreweries (512, Blanco, a bunch of others) and many of them are quite good. Texas has a lot of limestone aquifers and a bunch of Belgians came over 10-20 years ago and started a few breweries specifically because of the water type there being so amenable to a few certain styles of beer.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I usually drink austin amber. What is that considered? It has a nice taste and is easy to drink

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That Works posted:

Abita is easy to get in the Northeast and relatively popular. Everywhere out of the South I've been I've been able to find it and it's well regarded.

If you count Texas as part of the south they have quite a few microbreweries (512, Blanco, a bunch of others) and many of them are quite good. Texas has a lot of limestone aquifers and a bunch of Belgians came over 10-20 years ago and started a few breweries specifically because of the water type there being so amenable to a few certain styles of beer.

Send me some Abita and I'll send you some IOWA BEER.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

IOWA is basically the South's cousin that didn't have much of the talent or good looks of the family and moved to the Midwest for a more easy-going lifestyle.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

boulevard's pretty bland

tallgrass has a couple okay things

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

boulevard's pretty bland

tallgrass has a couple okay things

I actually agree with this.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

That Works posted:

If you count Texas as part of the south

texas seceded during the civil war so it is definitely part of the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

nc and ga

• Locked thread