Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Gorilla Salad posted:

A good show about powered people being hunted and how they react.

Then what are you doing in the Heroes thread? :rimshot:

E: Oh man, punch line as a page topper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I was in the local comic shop yesterday and I see that there is a Heroes comic out. It was $10 though so I didn't bother with it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So quick question: Was, objectively, Daphne and Parkman the single worst on-screen pairing for a romance ever to reach the screen not as a deleted extra?

I literally can't think of a worse one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chakotay and Seven on the last episode of Voyager for no reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

So quick question: Was, objectively, Daphne and Parkman the single worst on-screen pairing for a romance ever to reach the screen not as a deleted extra?

I literally can't think of a worse one.

I wouldn't say "worst", but certainly "most perplexing".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The whole "I'm much older than you and separated but I saw in the future that you're my wife so we haaave to be toooogeeeetheeeer!" was creepy as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was he that much older? I thought Park Man was like 29 or 30 and Daphne was about 20.

Goofy ex-cop and manic pixie hipster just had nothing in common.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They LOOKED a good 12 years apart, which was emphasized when they adopted Molly Walker.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gorilla Salad posted:

A good show about powered people being hunted and how they react.

So Alphas?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Dexo posted:

So Alphas?

I miss Alphas so much.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Me too.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It just hit me that Small Wonder was probably a better sci-fi show.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The 4400 is way better than alphas. If there is one super powered show canceled too soon that should be revived, it's the 4400.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

The 4400 is way better than alphas. If there is one super powered show canceled too soon that should be revived, it's the 4400.

Alphas has better music than the 4400 though. Only Living Boy In New York was a great song to end the series on.

Side note I started watching John Doe for the first time in over a decade and I'm absolutely amazed at how bad it is.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I look forward to being disappointed by this show one more time. I can barely even remember season 2. I think there was a plane or something?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

KillerQueen posted:

I think there was a plane or something?

No that was West

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

I can barely even remember season 2.

It was basically a whole lot of:

Allejandro: "MAAAHHYYYYYJJAAA NOOOO!!!"
<black ooze out of Maya's eyes>
Maya: "ALLLEEEJANNDRROOOOO!!!!!"

That pretty much sums up S2.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Can't believe I forgot Sylar's south-of-the-border spring break! Didn't he end up eating both of their powers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 2 also had the somewhat not-terrible Hiro and Adam's Excellent Japanese Adventure

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

KillerQueen posted:

Can't believe I forgot Sylar's south-of-the-border spring break! Didn't he end up eating both of their powers?

Actually he didn't; he taught her how to control her power and once he did that, he killed her brother (she didn't know until later), whose only power was to stop hers. Mohinder tried to remove it but that didn't work either; eventually Arthur absorbed her power.

I looked through a Heroes wiki to piece that all together and I forgot just how much of a loving mess the show became after the first season.

edit: oh yeah, and the reason Sylar didn't steal their powers was because at the start of the second season, he was unable to use his after the fight in Kirby Plaza because reasons.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 11, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shakugan posted:

Legitimately loved The 4400 and hope it comes back some day.

That theme song still gives me chills.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Bruteman posted:

edit: oh yeah, and the reason Sylar didn't steal their powers was because at the start of the second season, he was unable to use his after the fight in Kirby Plaza because reasons.

Which also caused him to lose all the powers he had up to that point except the telekinesis, including the cool ice power that was never explained because the S3 flashback episode that went over his origins decided to show him getting an explosion power that he had never been seen using at point during S1 instead.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

program666 posted:

It just hit me that Small Wonder was probably a better sci-fi show.

https://youtu.be/AEiuIyUv7sQ?t=45m47s

Nothing tops this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Believe it or not I'm walking on air!

I loving loved that show as a kid. The idea of a superhero who had no idea what the gently caress he was doing or how to do it because he dropped the goddamned instruction manual on the ground was mindlowing to a kid.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am not hyped for this at all, I just don't have the energy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Valeyard posted:

I am not hyped for this at all,

This is due to watching the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

It's about time for a reboot of this, I think.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

It's about time for a reboot of this, I think.

They're making a pilot for a remake of this! or is :thejoke:?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No, I actually had no idea. I hope they don't gently caress it up.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

So that's where that song is from originally.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
BTW this got bumped up to a 2 hour premiere

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

precision posted:

Season 2 also had the somewhat not-terrible Hiro and Adam's Excellent Japanese Adventure

Remember when Adam was a really nice, cool dude?

Then he did a heel turn to be a complete rear end in a top hat and somehow was the Big Bad Behind the Scenes the whole time?

Then remember when he went out in 2 seconds like a punk?

Good times. :allears:

Valeyard posted:

I am not hyped for this at all, I just don't have the energy

Sylar has stole your fanboy powers...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

Remember when Adam was a really nice, cool dude?

Then he did a heel turn to be a complete rear end in a top hat and somehow was the Big Bad Behind the Scenes the whole time?

Then remember when he went out in 2 seconds like a punk?

Good times. :allears:

How else would they show off how powerful the new big bad is????????????

who was the petrelli patriarch and not dead or something maybe they just didnt mention him until that point

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
When this came out in the UK everyone went mad for it, I watched it because people kept going on about it and thought series 1 was the best thing ever. Then I watched every single episode after that, until the end of season 4, thinking "come on, this is gonna get good again, right?" It was like I'd come this far so I couldn't give up now. God drat, it was the same thing with Battlestar Galactica at the same time. I haven't watched an American drama since those two were on. Not really on purpose, but I guess something snapped inside of me. But I am gonna watch this out of nostalgia because I loved season 1 of Heroes. What's been good since then, in that fantasy/sci-fi theme?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Konsek posted:

When this came out in the UK everyone went mad for it, I watched it because people kept going on about it and thought series 1 was the best thing ever. Then I watched every single episode after that, until the end of season 4, thinking "come on, this is gonna get good again, right?" It was like I'd come this far so I couldn't give up now. God drat, it was the same thing with Battlestar Galactica at the same time. I haven't watched an American drama since those two were on. Not really on purpose, but I guess something snapped inside of me. But I am gonna watch this out of nostalgia because I loved season 1 of Heroes. What's been good since then, in that fantasy/sci-fi theme?

Alphas. It only lasted two seasons but it had a pretty strong run.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I'm from the UK, and I too bought into the hype train for series 1 of Heroes.

Not undeservedly. Series 1 wasn't without problems, but sweet Jesus it was so much better than the series' that followed.

Misfits (series 1-3 at least) is the TV show that Heroes should have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The final season of Misfits was easily as good as the first two. Ended on a real high note, that one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gDnLH4W2hg

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
They talk about having lots of new characters like it's a good thing, and not just adding more to the mess. Instead they should have said something like "we are focusing on consistence and we already have three seasons outlined" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is that girl who unsheathes her katana Hiro's daughter or something?

Zach Levi looks like a decent villain. Kinda think this will turn out to be alright.

• Locked thread