Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This run is really good and relaxed, and has good commentary, and is exactly what Daytime-GDQ should aspire to be.

:agreed:

That was great, exactly what random people should see when they tune into a GDQ. Easy to understand, easy to follow, chill run.

I think my personal favorites are always going to be more technical stuff with a good commentator explaining the insanity, but the less 'frame perfect 360 noscope wallbounce' jargon the better for most viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Disney Block as a whole has been pretty good. Just solid runs all around.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I've been stunned by how good the animation quality on all these Disney games has been - makes you wonder how many of these older games should have been hits like Ducktales but weren't.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That was the most enjoyable and positive commentary/run I've seen so far.

Also, absolutely no threats of mass murder which is pretty good!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

disjoe posted:

I've been stunned by how good the animation quality on all these Disney games has been - makes you wonder how many of these older games should have been hits like Ducktales but weren't.

I think a lot of these games were animated directly by Disney. I don't know how or why or when that all worked out, but the end results were pretty stunning.

Haven't seen this hd remake of CoI, should be neat.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Idioteque Dance posted:

That was the most enjoyable and positive commentary/run I've seen so far.

Also, absolutely no threats of mass murder which is pretty good!

Personally, I enjoy it when runners threaten to murder the audience every once in a while. It's a nice change of pace.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I enjoy the mass anarchy of the Twitch chat hivemind :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lol, mac gaming.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

How Rude posted:

Are there any goon-based chats or chats you enjoy using while watching then? I don't know any channels specifically that would be chill to chat in.
Specifically goon-based, not off the top of my head. I've been chilling in my own channel with a handful of my viewers, like i said. Medibot and a couple other goons are hanging out in there, but i try to keep a generally a friendly chat, so folks coming in to poo poo talk marathon runners or the marathon itself are probably gonna get the boot pretty quick.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

dragon enthusiast posted:

I enjoy the mass anarchy of the Twitch chat hivemind :(

Yeah it's great so long as the only thing on screen is white males.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

this game is loving gorgeous, hot drat :allears:

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Werster is my usual go-to for poverty chat. Haven't really been doing chatting this event, though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Disney: turns out they're good at animation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Castle of Illusion HD remake is legitimately real good but it got helluva overlooked. :smith:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Have they said who is reading the donations right now? Sounds like Portaxx from F Plus.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

victrix posted:

I think a lot of these games were animated directly by Disney. I don't know how or why or when that all worked out, but the end results were pretty stunning.

Haven't seen this hd remake of CoI, should be neat.

Disney used to have a farm of slaves desperate animators who were "living the dream" that they could just dump on any old project. I'm pretty sure Maui Mallard was worked on by Disney animators as well.

I suspect that Maui Mallard was initially planned as an animated series tie in but syndicated cartoons were dieing right at the time leading to the cartoon being canned while the game managed to continue onward.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Is the attendance lower than previous marathons? I can't really tell but the chairs don't seem very filled.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

victrix posted:

Mickey Mania and Maui Mallard's animation work was farmed out by Disney to a company called Creative Capers Entertainment, judging by Mobygames.

Disney did, however, provide animation for Genesis Aladdin and The Lion King games. Apparently it was quite a struggle to get the sort of animations games of the time needed from feature film animators...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jibo posted:

Have they said who is reading the donations right now? Sounds like Portaxx from F Plus.

It's Portaxx from F plus.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Andrast posted:

It's Portaxx from F plus.

That's cool. I binge listened to it all in the last two months so I didn't know she was involved with GDQ.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cuatal posted:

Is the attendance lower than previous marathons? I can't really tell but the chairs don't seem very filled.

It's not even noon there yet. Everyone is sleeping off their hangovers.

They said they had their highest attendance at a GDQ yet.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
The art design in this game combined with the 2D platforming actually kind of reminds me of the DKC Returns games.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Cuatal posted:

They said this is actually the highest so far in terms of paid attendance, even topping all the AGDQs. I'm sure it'll be packed tonight for the Tetris block.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Cuatal posted:

People are still probably hungover from partying the first night.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This is a pretty drat informative run really.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Mr E posted:

This is a pretty drat informative run really.

But not a very exciting one.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kikka posted:

But not a very exciting one.

Nah, but I didn't expect Castle of Illusion to be super exciting.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Don't really mind it being chill since it's so pretty and the music is great :allears:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I am in love with this Candyland right now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Don't really mind it being chill since it's so pretty and the music is great :allears:

It's so loving quiet, how can you hear music? :mad:

Volume riot.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
welp twitch chat was mostly behaving itself but now its death threats and sexism! great work!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
This games nice and chill.

Wish I could hear the music though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This candy land is the best :3:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

would eat that twizzler serpent

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What's the point of playing a game at a speedrunning event if you're just going to play it normally and not attempt any skips?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

CJ posted:

What's the point of playing a game at a speedrunning event if you're just going to play it normally and not attempt any skips?

Playing it very fast?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Wait, why is mickey mouse collecting the chaos emeralds?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CJ posted:

They don't always go for max speed/world record time at GDQs. A lot of skips can cause a loss of time if you miss, and a lot of skips are unreliable or extremely difficult.

The DKC3 run was a pretty good example of a runner explaining specifics about that 'hey I could do X and Y but if I gently caress up I lose half the level soooo here's the safer 5 second slower method'.

They still end up tearing through the games far faster than you would normally.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

CJ posted:

Because some games don't have skips, they aren't really good for marathon safety, or the runner isn't skilled enough to pull them off with enough consistency.

And hey, it lends to some variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CJ posted:

Because it's fun.

• Locked thread