Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
My brother and I played a quick game today. We did find combat to be very swingy, particularly since we rolled an awful lot of very high results. There were at least two one-hit kills.

My brother commented that he found the fact that situations where one player got a total of 20 on an attack and the other player got 22 resulted in a dead soldier, even though the rolls were super close. As I said, this was exaggerated by the very high rolls.

The game ended as a draw. It seemed like the treasures were placed too near the table edges, and didn't require much combat or confrontation to get to, with the result that we each easily got the three pieces nearest our deployment zones.

We had a good time, and the game only took about an hour, but the things above felt a bit off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Commissar Kip, could you toss up some in process pictures?

Right so, here are some pictures.

I've ordered a bunch of buildings, so here's the post unboxing:

Anyway, the kit consists of laser cut sheets and instructions with pictures (which sometimes are poo poo because some things are mislabelled - this is my only real complaint).

With wood glue and patience you can get your little kit up to something like this:

A real work-in-progress picture is below. I've made the ground floor of one of the buildings (the red one in the first picture I posted) and now I'm busy placing in all the red sheets between the slats.

Anyway, in true kitchen tv show, here is one I made earlier.

This is the end of my presentation. Are there any questions?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What kind of cost are we looking at here, and can the buildings be broken down for transport?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
Looking at 30-40 euro per building (some even more than that). That's 30-40 dollars.

And no, they can't be broken down. You can remove levels though, but those single levels can't be broken down.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Commissar Kip posted:

A real work-in-progress picture is below. I've made the ground floor of one of the buildings (the red one in the first picture I posted) and now I'm busy placing in all the red sheets between the slats.

This is the end of my presentation. Are there any questions?

How thick are the boards on the interior walls vs.the wooden framing vs. the red painted sections?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Those are super pretty. Pre-made MDF buildings aren't my jam, but those are really the cream of the crop. Great use of painting before etching, and the designs nail the Mordhaim aesthetic without screaming laser-cut the way lots of buildings do. Let's see a whole table with minis and a battle report!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I've been looking through the book and noticed the out of game stuff doesn't really have a limit, which seemed strange to me. I guess you could justify it as each trip into Frostgrave takes a long time so there is a long time between each venture. Although I haven't got a game in yet, I like the changes[url= http://www.bad-karma.net/frostgrave-campaign-change-recommendations/]these guys[/url] propose. Out of game actions have a little more structure and hopefully, there won't be any snowballing in campaigns.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
After a couple more games over the weekend, I'd venture that Frostgrave has a slightly flawed campaign system - but not irredeemably so. The fixes the Bad-karma dudes propose all seem reasonable, and I believe that they would work well in mitigating the Frostgrave power creep. IMO Frostgrave is still a great and inexpensive way to get started with fantasy miniature gaming, lighter than ASL but still a step above beer-and-pretzels type games.

And it seems like the whole concept of rival wizards fighting over treasure has legs stretching all the way back to Gygax and Arneson. :) I could well see myself reskinning Frostgrave to Sandgrave, a Hamunaptra-like lost city that occasionally surfaces from the dunes, inevitably being raided by archeologists, beduins, and/or various colonial treasure hunters...

Hmm. That would actually be a good excuse to tool around with Pulp Alley...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
From the gist of the author's thread on Lead Adventures, it seems like he would like to do a lot of rewriting if he had the opportunity. Some of the rules aren't terribly clear, and there are some issues that have some to light since the game has been released to the larger public. I'd expect to see an extensive FAQ in the next couple of months and possibly a v2.0 in a couple years (pure speculation.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What is ASL?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Advanced Squad Leader I would guess. I know nothing else wargamey with that acronym.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Advanced Squad Leader I would guess. I know nothing else wargamey with that acronym.

I doubt there's anything else in the universe with that acronym.

I mean, somewhere out there on some alien planet, the Earth-invasion force is being delayed right now because of a rules dispute while playing ASL.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

enrious posted:

I doubt there's anything else in the universe with that acronym.

American sign language?

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Pierzak posted:

American sign language?

Point.

Even then, ASL has it's own form of language using hand signals, although it usually only manifests during rules disputes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pierzak posted:

American sign language?

Age, sex, location? :pervert:

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

VacuumJockey posted:

... reskinning Frostgrave to Sandgrave, a Hamunaptra-like lost city that occasionally surfaces from the dunes, inevitably being raided by archeologists, beduins, and/or various colonial treasure hunters...

I really like this idea. Every year, this ancient city appears for one day. I picture x amount of scenarios could be played between warbands where no one gets a full refresh, only injury and treasure chart rolls. Then, at the conclusion, the wizards and what remains of their warbands leave the city. One year later(12 out of game sequences from bad karmas pdf) they reenter the city...

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes - I should have been a bit clearer about that; I'm not sure if ASL is even a thing these days. But 25 years ago it was considered the serious wargame here in Copenhagen. :sperg:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

VacuumJockey posted:

Yes - I should have been a bit clearer about that; I'm not sure if ASL is even a thing these days. But 25 years ago it was considered the serious wargame here in Copenhagen. :sperg:

It's still around, but it's so relatively expensive and time-consuming that I don't know anyone who actually bothers with it anymore given the wealth of alternatives. I get the urge to get into it sometimes until I realize we're talking hundreds of dollars for cardboard chits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm surprised there isn't a computer version of it (unless there is). And I don't mean a VASSAL module.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

VacuumJockey posted:

After a couple more games over the weekend, I'd venture that Frostgrave has a slightly flawed campaign system - but not irredeemably so. The fixes the Bad-karma dudes propose all seem reasonable, and I believe that they would work well in mitigating the Frostgrave power creep. IMO Frostgrave is still a great and inexpensive way to get started with fantasy miniature gaming, lighter than ASL but still a step above beer-and-pretzels type games.

And it seems like the whole concept of rival wizards fighting over treasure has legs stretching all the way back to Gygax and Arneson. :) I could well see myself reskinning Frostgrave to Sandgrave, a Hamunaptra-like lost city that occasionally surfaces from the dunes, inevitably being raided by archeologists, beduins, and/or various colonial treasure hunters...

Hmm. That would actually be a good excuse to tool around with Pulp Alley...

You have the Best idea.

1930's pulp Frostgrave with spells. New Orleans Voodoo mages and German Nazi Occultists dishing it out in the ruins of Al-Hopothep. Only to then dish it out in the ruins of Shangri-Lo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Commissar Kip posted:

You have the Best idea.

1930's pulp Frostgrave with spells. New Orleans Voodoo mages and German Nazi Occultists dishing it out in the ruins of Al-Hopothep. Only to then dish it out in the ruins of Shangri-Lo.

Someone call the designer and get him started on this expansion. NOW!

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 28, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That'd be pretty inconvenient/slower unless you used a ruler stick measured out in studs. :v:
Just use assorted long plates and/or bricks for set lengths!

Meanwhile, Amazon predicts my copy will arrive Thursday. Can't wait! Probably going to start with Lego buildings, since I have fucktons of Lego.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Someone call the designer and get him started on this expansion. NOW!

What's crazy is it doesn't take much to move the design to any time frame. I was looking for minis to use for a thrown together game and I realized I have a poo poo load of Star Wars guys. I imagine with a reskin of monsters and maybe spells, Spacegrave could be a thing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah - I imagine the only issue would be with automatic weapons (tommyguns, of course, would have to be present,) and even multi-shot revolvers. Other than that, a reskin would work just fine.

And the demons would have to be swapped out with Cthulhu mythos monsters. It would simply have to be done.

EDIT: Actually, a neat v2.0 update of the rules would be incorporating all the FAQs and errata from the current edition, as well as adding an update for modern environments/soldiers.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't think guns would be a problem. A ranged attack is a ranged attack, whether its someone loosing an arrow or squeezing off a burst of SMG fire. Besides, mooks with guns are notoriously inaccurate in pulp stories.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think guns would be a problem. A ranged attack is a ranged attack, whether its someone loosing an arrow or squeezing off a burst of SMG fire. Besides, mooks with guns are notoriously inaccurate in pulp stories.

Also, in most pulp stories the mooks are armed with machetes and cleavers, and people with guns aren't that many. So the current ranged attack rules would be fine, maybe only say that bolt action rifles and tommy guns would count as crossbows (+2 damage and reload because you always empty your magazine right?! RIGHT?!) and a handgun as a bow.

Or if you really want to modify rules I suggest the following:

Bolt action rifle/lever rifle = +2 damage, but MUST reload as an action before any other attack.
Tommy gun/automatic rifle/revolver = +1 damage, roll a d6, on a 4+ you MUST reload as an action before any other attack (magazine empty).
Semi-Automatic handgun = normal.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, my only quibble would be with tommyguns being the equivalent to a crossbow. The +2 damage is good, but emptying a drum is not the same as loosing a quarrel. That being said, the drums were a constant hassle and the gun wasn't particularly accurate. I guess the crossbow rules could be acceptable in that regard.

What about armor and shields? You don't see a lot of guys in the Roaring 20's running around in any sort of body armor or with a shield. You'd have to bump everyone's points down to reflect the loss of those items (i.e. figure out the formula used to assign values to everything.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You could roll armor into actual plot armor if you don't mind that level of abstraction. Just count it as a swell nickname or other distinctive feature that sets him apart from the other mooks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Relabel 'Armor' to 'Moxie' and call it done.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

For doing a campaign can bases and buying items be done before the very first match or is that only allowed to start after the completion of the first match?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This is write-up some guy did pointing out some problems with Frostgrave. I really like some of the ideas de-emphasizing kill XP for wizards so they don't snowball away from the more peaceful casters. http://www.bad-karma.net/frostgrave-campaign-change-recommendations/

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I thought they were interesting suggestions too, but I was wondering about the turn limit.

I haven't played but for people that have, do you think 5 turns is a good limit?

Alternatively, I was wondering whether they could let opponents control wandering monsters where there is overbalance. It seems they considered but rejected this idea, but they didn't give any detail. I don't know if others think this could work.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The Dregs posted:

This is write-up some guy did pointing out some problems with Frostgrave. I really like some of the ideas de-emphasizing kill XP for wizards so they don't snowball away from the more peaceful casters. http://www.bad-karma.net/frostgrave-campaign-change-recommendations/

I posted this further up the page but I prefaced it by talking about out of game actions. I really like the changes to the out of game phase because I pictured almost exactly what actually happened in that guys campaign. One player gets a few really lucky rolls, decks out his fortress and his crew and he's nearly unstoppable.

I really need to play a few games but 5 turns is the Malifaux standard and it seems to work well for objective based gameplay. In Malifaux, there's a possibility for the game to continue at the end of the 5th turn but I feel like that is probably not necessary in Frostgrave.

One of the optional changes is to wizard death and I really like that the wizard you start with is the wizard you'll always have. The penalty for "death" is pretty steep but I love the fluff of the wizard crawling back home and being stronger for it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know how Heresy Miniatures are? I want to use this for my witch cause I wanted to make a really stereo typical looking one but I dunno what the quality of their minis are like

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone know how Heresy Miniatures are? I want to use this for my witch cause I wanted to make a really stereo typical looking one but I dunno what the quality of their minis are like
No idea, but if you do decide to go through with this please use the cauldron as your apprentice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

No idea, but if you do decide to go through with this please use the cauldron as your apprentice.

Was thinking that or using it as a animate construct to summon :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've seen the Heresy not-Delaque cyberpunk gang in person, and they're pretty good. I can't speak for the witch, but it looks pretty decent in the photos, if maybe a tad too expensive.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Safety Factor posted:

Does the cauldron become the wizard if wiz1 dies?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Why did not know all this Mordheim scenery requires glue and isn't just snap-fit like the Necromunda stuff? WHY? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I've been gluing dozens of paper buildings over the last few weeks, mostly while watching TV or during lulls at work. It can be quite time-consuming, but it isn't something that requires much attention so find something to occupy your mind and get going!

Gonna do my first game next week, probably 4 players. Building a few very different warbands to get everyone started, we do a game, whoever likes it enough for a campaign can build their own and we'll start fresh. I haven't painted miniatures in over a decade, but my Goblin gang is coming along nicely.