Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Covered my shorts and added to longs.

orange sky posted:

What earnings reports are you guys looking for this week?

MA. It didn't really rally along with V last week and I figure it should have an even better report given it's more domestic focused.

I also got a couple of speculative bets on amgn, nvda etc.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
ADBE is super overvalued. I just hopped on the downtrend at $80.05.

E: I'm watching earnings on WDR, LNC, and GILD.

E2: Oh, and PPC.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 27, 2015

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Sorry for the dumb question

Say a high volume (eg yhoo sbux level) stock is trading at $230 and I place a limit sell order at $200. What happens? Is it equivalent to a market order since Price>limit or does it just sell for $200? Or something else?

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 28, 2015

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Limit will be at or better your limit. So in essence, yeah you are gonna get market, but it won't be $200.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Noah posted:

Limit will be at or better your limit. So in essence, yeah you are gonna get market, but it won't be $200.

You mean it won't be $230? or it won't be $200? Your use of "but" in that sentence is confusing me.
Is there an explanation of what is actually happening that isn't incredibly complicated? Like, for example, will it just sell it to the person with the highest active limit buy?

My real question is, say I know 100% that my sell limit price is not gonna be reached by the market. Like I place a $1 limit order for GOOG. Is there any difference between that and a market order?

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 28, 2015

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Sorry I was being confusing. You will get the best price available if your limit is well below market. You will not be stuck with the limit price.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Anybody else short on China stocks this month?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
IMO we need to get a good rally going here soon or we are in for a good correction into maybe Sept. We already closed under the 2009 trend line last month which kind of sucked.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gamesguy posted:

Both the value index and managed value funds have historically underperformed.

No idea what this is (especially what the two screens are for "growth" and "value"), but the book Deep Value by Tobias Carlisle goes through a bunch of value strategies and basically all of them outperform the market (some much more than others, the best being EV/EBITDA).

I think the myth of efficient markets and the continued appeal of growth/story stocks is a great reason why these strategies continue to work decades and decades later.

Warren Buffett (whose long-run success should blow up the idea of an efficient market) said a couple years ago that if he were starting with a million dollars today, he could get 50% returns per year. And if you blindly buy what Carl Ichan buys (again, a person like him shouldn't exist if markets were efficient) after he files his 13-Ds, you'll outperform the market over the long run.

Gamesguy posted:

The value index is pretty straight forward. It uses basic valuation metrics to identify "undervalued" stocks.
http://us.spindices.com/indices/equity/sp-500-value

The second largest holding is GE, which is trading at 10x tangible book value and has a 15 EV/EBITDA. GE obviously has a lot of things going for it, but that is not even in the same universe as a value stock lol.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 28, 2015

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Looks like you got your wish Kappy. I don't have nearly the bankroll to attempt to day trade this mess.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
On another note, how long does the sentiment from an approved stock repurchase plan normally ride for?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I'm calculating EBITDA/EV on a bunch of Canadian companies while I work my way through Deep Value and I have a couple of questions to direct at Arkane.

First, do you tend to use quarterly or annual reports? Second, how far back do you go? Right now I'm just taking the latest quarterly reports and looking for companies with low multiples in a given sector as a bit of a practice run but I'm interested in how much data you tend to accumulate before you can determine whether a company is undervalued.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Arkane posted:

No idea what this is (especially what the two screens are for "growth" and "value"), but the book Deep Value by Tobias Carlisle goes through a bunch of value strategies and basically all of them outperform the market (some much more than others, the best being EV/EBITDA).

I think the myth of efficient markets and the continued appeal of growth/story stocks is a great reason why these strategies continue to work decades and decades later.

Warren Buffett (whose long-run success should blow up the idea of an efficient market) said a couple years ago that if he were starting with a million dollars today, he could get 50% returns per year. And if you blindly buy what Carl Ichan buys (again, a person like him shouldn't exist if markets were efficient) after he files his 13-Ds, you'll outperform the market over the long run.

Value strategies work great in back testing, but they're hard to put into practice. Since 2007 managed value funds have had the worst performing record out of all managed funds.

You can find exceptional people using nearly every strategy under the sun, most people will never replicate their level of success. I find it far more useful to look at the average rather than the exceptions. Even Warren Buffet is more of an activist investor these days, you can't get the sort of deals he can(like the bofa deal) without the prestige attached to his name and the enormous amount of capital he wields.

quote:

The second largest holding is GE, which is trading at 10x tangible book value and has a 15 EV/EBITDA. GE obviously has a lot of things going for it, but that is not even in the same universe as a value stock lol.
Those passive value funds have greatly outperformed managed value funds over the last decade.

I'm not saying you can't do well with value strategies, I just don't think most people are the sort of exceptional investors who can make those strategies work. Especially not the way many people here who are using value metrics to swing trade rather than invest.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Covered my shorts and added to longs.

Sold half to take profits, letting rest ride.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Value investing is perfectly compatible with efficient markets, but it hasn't outperformed in the last 15-20 years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anybody ready to call the bottom on oil?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vatek posted:

I'm calculating EBITDA/EV on a bunch of Canadian companies while I work my way through Deep Value and I have a couple of questions to direct at Arkane.

First, do you tend to use quarterly or annual reports? Second, how far back do you go? Right now I'm just taking the latest quarterly reports and looking for companies with low multiples in a given sector as a bit of a practice run but I'm interested in how much data you tend to accumulate before you can determine whether a company is undervalued.

I've been using Stock Rover, which is a free screener and has a ton of search abilities. If I've found something that interests me, then I start reading the quarterly/annual reports and listening to the conference calls. I think one thing that is important is figuring out exactly why people are soured on the company, and how likely it is that they are right/wrong. As you get deeper into the book, I think he talks about how human judgment is a great way to ruin purely numerical, proven screens, so who knows if I'm adding value!

Josh Lyman posted:

Value investing is perfectly compatible with efficient markets, but it hasn't outperformed in the last 15-20 years.

Wrong and wrong.

Gamesguy posted:

Value strategies work great in back testing, but they're hard to put into practice. Since 2007 managed value funds have had the worst performing record out of all managed funds.

The one fund you cited does not seem like anything like a value fund, though? Calling something a value fund is not the same as value investing. Not sure why you're conflating them!

Gamesguy posted:

You can find exceptional people using nearly every strategy under the sun, most people will never replicate their level of success. I find it far more useful to look at the average rather than the exceptions. Even Warren Buffet is more of an activist investor these days, you can't get the sort of deals he can(like the bofa deal) without the prestige attached to his name and the enormous amount of capital he wields.

I'm struggling a little to come up with exceptional investors who aren't value investors. Peter Thiel maybe? That's debatable. Anybody besides that? The list of wealthy value investors is a mile long.

An activist investor is a value investor who tries to unlock said value.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Come on SAFM, keep it up buddy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arkane posted:

Warren Buffett (whose long-run success should blow up the idea of an efficient market) said a couple years ago that if he were starting with a million dollars today, he could get 50% returns per year.

I think Buffett may be forgetting how little pull you have on a company with only a million dollars. He's sick of having so much money he can't get it all in the best deals. But he's forgetting he didn't have access to those sweet deals and leverage on companies until he had a shitload of money.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
out of TWTR at $40.41

gin and tonic time

fruition fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 28, 2015

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

extravadanza posted:

Come on SAFM, keep it up buddy.

Those chickens ran on those tiny legs!

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Really hoping the trend on ADBE doesn't reverse because of this China market hubub. Short sold GE (thanks Arkane) at $26.12. I'm not expecting to milk it too long, but that last ditch bull rush in the middle of the down trend is telling me there's a chance.

E: Watch out for PGR. I'm short selling as soon as those lines cross on the 3mo.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 28, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chevron just cut 1,500 jobs to save $1 billion. Looks like they don't want to call the bottom on oil.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Chevron just cut 1,500 jobs to save $1 billion. Looks like they don't want to call the bottom on oil.

Each of those jobs was costing them on average $666,666.66?

Those are some expensive loving jobs they just cut.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Wow TWTR can't do anything right. Was up to $40 in AH trading but is now down like 20% from that peak.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Kal Torak posted:

Wow TWTR can't do anything right. Was up to $40 in AH trading but is now down like 20% from that peak.

One idea is that the CEO mentioned how growth wasn't as big as they had expected, after a slight growth in revenue over what was expected. Hilarious.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Wow uh I was yelling at somebody for getting into Micron last month because it would take a miracle to raise the stock.

... Looks like they found their miracle...

http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-and-micron-debut-3d-xpoint-storage-technology-thats-1000-times-faster-than-existing-drives/

drat dude, nice pick. I hope you held on to MU?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
You weren't yelling at me. And you still made several good points.

I still kept it because MU is a 23 billion company with revenue of 13 billion(based on conservative projection) with 4 billion in cash and only 6 billion in debt. Also with 30% profit margins. It was a value play that I didn't expect any short term payoff but I sure as hell hope for.

That said, I'm still massively in the red for my MU(>30% down) :(

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Arkane posted:

I'm struggling a little to come up with exceptional investors who aren't value investors. Peter Thiel maybe? That's debatable. Anybody besides that? The list of wealthy value investors is a mile long.

An activist investor is a value investor who tries to unlock said value.

Paul Tudor Jones, Steve Cohen? Although whether you want to consider them investors or just traders is up for debate I suppose

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like YELP & TWTR need more "takeover" "rumors"

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Arkane posted:

Looks like YELP & TWTR need more "takeover" "rumors"

Thank god for the AH spike, holy poo poo did I dodge a bullet. Management sounded despondent during the CC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AMC theaters is reporting after the bell today. Thinking about sticking my toe in considering how well Jurassic World, Minions, and Inside Out have done. Ultron was just okay domestically.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150727006452/en/Sprint-Bioscience-Enters-Collaboration-Bayer-Healthcare-Tumor

A Good Week to own Sprint Bioscience. Still this only increased company value by $20m 30m or so. I'm guessing there is another 100% increase in the cards short term. :bernget: :homebrew:

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 29, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Potrzebie posted:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150727006452/en/Sprint-Bioscience-Enters-Collaboration-Bayer-Healthcare-Tumor

A Good Week to own Sprint Bioscience. Still this only increased company value by $20m or so. I'm guessing there is another 100% increase in the cards short term. :bernget:
Your broker lets you trade Stockholm-listed stocks?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Your broker lets you trade Stockholm-listed stocks?

:sweden::hf::hf::smug:

Edit to clarify: I am Stockholm listed as well.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

AMD :stare:

Completely unsubstantiated or does their new card actually not suck?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Holy wow, when did AMD fall so far? It's been a while but last time I checked they were in the $4 range, and now they're below $2?

Man. I still actually own 20 shares, as a constant reminder not to buy things based on being a fanboy. (My basis is $35.80, from January 2006.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
HOS earnings are out http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hornbeck-offshore-announces-second-quarter-210000268.html