Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Section 121 posted:

Another 10' x 10' chamber. Doors in the east, south and west walls.

Go south to 86.
East to 93.
West to 79.

I sure hope we'll find our way out of here soon, I'm quickly running out of things to say.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 39/44
SPEED: 9/18
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 18
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:
Magic coin: +5 damage in battle

Roll of the dead posted:

Death the first: (poisonous) smoke inhalation

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Moar west!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Return to 129, make a zig-zag pattern north -> west -> south -> west -> north -> west and so on, let us know if there's anything interesting in any of the tiny rooms, if not, skip to the next corridor.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Return to 129, make a zig-zag pattern north -> west -> south -> west -> north -> west and so on, let us know if there's anything interesting in any of the tiny rooms, if not, skip to the next corridor.

I'm not a fan of this specific sequence either. It's a maze of tiny little rooms, all alike, and it's not fun to get through it when you have the paper book in your hand. I can only imagine how boring this is when reading it post-by-post on a forum. And the resolution is especially bullshit, but I'll have some Words to say about that when we get there (we're almost there, I promise).

Ghostwoods posted:

Moar west!

Section 79 posted:

Go south to 98.
East to 121.
West to 88.

Case in point.
Honestly, this feels like padding the book with lots of unneeded sections.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, gold braid x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt x10 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cast the hitherto unknown Pip gets the gently caress out of here spell.

That or west.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 88 posted:

Go south to 84.
East to 79.
West to 106.

Look at this poo poo. Look at it. :argh:

The same 10' x 10' chamber, with the same three doors. Who thought this was a good idea? It's honestly a low point for the books.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Keep going west and hope?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Right, let's hope. Let's hope there's something different this time. Something like...

Section 106 posted:

Another 10' x 10' chamber. Doors in the east, north, south and west walls.

Go south to 91.
East to 88.
West to 78.

North to 144.

:siren: ...a room with four exits instead of three! :siren:

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It's probably an accident rather than a hint, but since North is not in italics, let's try that.

(EDIT: I mean, it's as good a reason as any other, right? Plus it's got the mystic '14' in the page number.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Hopefully it's not an omen that we're currently on page 14 of the thread.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 144 posted:

By Jove, you're out, Pip! You're out of the maze! Mark you, the mental effort has taken a lot out of you. Better nosh some of your rations before going on. (If you aren't carrying rations, you lose 1 PERMANENT LIFE POINT due to brain fag.)

This is the bullshit I was talking about. The maze isn't that hard at all, it's just a grid of 10' x 10' rooms where the big 129 room would be on the map, with the added bonus that there's some non-euclidean thing going on and you can go west from the west end of the maze to get to the east end (and vice-versa). And we lose one PERMANENT LIFE POINT because we don't have a random item? No sir, I do not like this.

I'm going by literal reading of the rules here: PERMANENT LIFE POINTS are what we get with experience, once for every 20 EXPERIENCE POINTS, and they carry over to the next book. Since we currently have none, we lose none.

Section 144 posted:

If you look around carefully, you will find you are standing in the northern corridor just ouside the northern door to the area marked 129 on your map.

For reference:

Section 144 posted:

You will also find you are in grave danger of stepping on a small, but quite amazing, magical artifact - a Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection. When you invoke the power of this charm, it sends out rays which absolutely ensure you will never encounter a Wandering Monster on the level you are in. There is only one slight problem: the Talisman has only two charges, so use them wisely. (Or not at all, if you wish, since some adventurers prefer to hack up Wandering Monsters for the sake of their gold.)

And XP. Can't foget the XP.

Section 144 posted:

Should you wish to retrace your steps back through 129 from this direction, you can go direct to the door in the eastern wall since you've solved the maze now.

"Solved." Hah.

Anyway, before we continue down the corridor, we have to decide what to do with the trinket we just found!

Do we pick up the Talisman? If so, what do we drop from our inventory to account for the weight? And do we use one of the charges now, or save them for later?

Also, since the corridor leads to several different rooms, where do we head now?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
618 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 16, 2015

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The blue powder and bookworm seem like the kinds of things that just might come up again later, so let's drop the gold braid to pick up the Talisman, but don't use it yet.

And then make our way to 140.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

140 is fine, but I say leave the Talisman, we fear no wandering nerds.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
I'd agree with Jazzimus - take the talisman but don't use it yet, drop the braid, and go to 140.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, we shall drop the gold braid and pick up the Talisman, but not use it just yet. This means that we have to roll once every five steps as we walk down the corridor to Section 140 (and we had 1 step left over from before). 140 is 22 steps away, plus 1 is 23, so we have to roll four times with three steps left over.

Wandering Monster roll: 2 + 5 = 7, and :siren: while in Level I a 7 meant we didn't meet anyone, here in Level II we do have to fight something! :siren:

A Medusa appears from the darkness of the corridor. This snake-haired gal has 30 LIFE POINTS, drops 15 Gold Pieces when she dies, and hits on a 7 for +2 damage, but a roll of 12 from her means we're paralyzed for four rounds of combat. Let's hope we roll well and she doesn't.

Pip's initiative roll: 1 + 4 = 5.
Medusa's initiative roll: 1 + 1 = 2.

Pip attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, Medusa is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is down to 18.
Medusa attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, a miss.
Pip attacks! 5 + 4 = 9, Medusa is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS, is down to 4 and falls unconcious.

Let's ignore her hair hissing at us while we search her pockets for spare change, step right over her, and roll again for wandering monsters.

Wandering Monster roll: 1 + 6 = 7, apparently Medusa's back for round two.

Pip's initiative roll: 5 + 5 = 10.
Medusa's initiative roll: 6 + 1 = 7.

Pip attacks! 1 + 2 = 3, a swing and a miss.
Medusa attacks! 5 + 2 = 7, Pip is hit for 0 + 2 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, Medusa is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is down to 18.
Medusa attacks! 1 + 4 = 5, missed.
Pip attacks! 2 + 5 = 7, Medusa is hit for 3 + 5 + 5 = 13 LIFE POINTS and is down to 5.
Medusa attacks! 5 + 3 = 8, Pip is hit for 1 + 2 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 3 + 5 = 8, Medusa is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS and killed.

With that we've reached 20 EXPERIENCE POINTS, which means we get 1 PERMANENT LIFE POINT of our very own, the first we got in this books series. Congratulations! This carries on to the following books as well.

Onwards, we have two Wandering Monster rolls left to make.

Wandering Monster roll:6 + 6 = 12, we've stepped into a puddle of Creeping Semolina. This thing has 35 LIFE POINTS, hits on a 6 for +4 damage, and drops 80 Gold Pieces.

Pip's initiative roll: 6 + 3 = 9.
Creeping Semolina's initiative roll: 3 + 5 = 8.

Pip attacks! 1 + 5 = 6, Creeping Semolina is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is down to 23.
Creeping Semolina attacks! 3 + 2 = 5 , missed.
Pip attacks! 5 + 5 = 10, Creeping Semolina is hit for 6 + 5 + 5 = 16 LIFE POINTS and is down to 7.
Creeping Semolina attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Pip is hit for 2 + 4 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 38.
Pip attacks! 3 + 6 = 9, Creeping Semolina is hit for 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 LIFE POINTS and is dead.

The last wandering monster roll, for now:

Wandering Monster roll: 1 + 5 = 6, no one. At least 1 time out of 4 we were lucky.

Section 140 posted:

Zap! This whole huge chamber is full of blinding pinkish light. It comes from a large globe set in the centre, which pulses (and gibbers slightly, come to that).

'I AM THE MAGIC ZAPPER,' a voice sniggers telepathically in your head, 'I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO SEE IF YOU WOULD BE FOOL ENOUGH TO ENTER MY LAIR. IF YOU LEAVE MY LAIR NOW, ANY MAGIC YOU MAY USE FROM NOW ON WILL COST YOU DOUBLE THE NORMAL LIFE POINTS. BUT IF YOU FAIL TO KILL ME WITH A SINGLE BLOW, I SHALL ABSORB ALL YOUR MAGIC COMPLETELY.'

Nasty.

The Magic Zapper has only 6 LIFE POINTS, but it's still a big risk if you have only one blow. At the same time, you hardly want to pay double in LIFE POINTS every time you use magic from now on, do you?

Decide what to do, do it, then go back out the door into the corridor and keep away from this chamber from now on.

So what do we do? If we step back now, we will have to pay six LIFE POINTS instead of three to use spells from now on. On the other hand, we could risk rushing in and slicing the globe in half. If we manage to hit it (we have enough pluses to our attack that it would be dead no matter what we roll, as long as we hit it by rolling four or above) we suffer no penalty, but if we miss we won't be able to use magic any more during this book.

Do we risk it?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren:40/44+1:siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 21 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, :siren: gold braid Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection (zero encounter rate for the level we use it, two charges) :siren: x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 728 :siren: Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Could we zap The Zapper with a firefinger bolt? Depends on how we choose to define 'blow', I suppose.

If you deem that we can, then I say do that. If we can't do that then take a swing. We only have a 1-in-12 chance of missing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Zap the zapper with a firefinger.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Squish the thing using whichever method seems most expedient.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sometimes the simpler answer is the correct one.

ZAP goes our Firefinger spell, BOOM goes the Zapper, problem solved.

Where do we go now?

We're right outside the door to 140, and we have three steps left over from our previous adventure in the corridors, meaning that we have to roll for Wandering Monsters after taking two steps, and after that every five steps.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 40/44+1
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 22 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection (zero encounter rate for the level we use it, two charges) x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt :siren: x9 :siren: (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
728 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
What with this map not actually reflecting the territory, and the length of that loving maze, I've got absolutely no idea what entries we can validly choose from.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Follow the corridor to 76, 108, and 96, in that order, if I'm reading the map right.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
76 next, with a view to subsequently going into 108 and leaving via the door nearer to 96 (to cut down on wandering monster rolls. This all assumes that that the map reflects the actual layout at this point).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, let's make our way to 76. The door to that Section is five steps away, so we have to roll for Wandering Monsters once (with three steps left over once again).

Wandering Monster roll: 5 + 4 = 9, we meet two Colls. (No, I have no idea what they are.) They have 15 LIFE POINTS each, hit on a 5 for +2 damage, and drop 15 Gold Pieces each when defeated.

Pip's initiative roll: 2 + 1 = 3.
Colls' initiative roll: 6 + 6 = 12.

Coll 1 attacks! 3 + 1 = 4, just barely missed.
Coll 2 attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 4 + 2 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 38.
Pip attacks! 2 + 5 = 7, Coll 1 is hit for 3 + 5 + 5 = 13 LIFE POINTS, is down to 2 and falls unconcious.
Coll 2 attacks! 4 + 4 = 8, Pip is hit for 3 + 2 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 37.
Pip attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, Coll 2 meets the same fate as his friend.

Now let's see what's behind door number 76.

Section 76 **B (each) posted:

Good grief, Pip - it's a den of Manticores! The clicking of their claws on the stone-flagged floor should have warned you before you opened the door, but it didn't and now it's too late.

There are three of them, Mum, Dad and Little Baby Manticore, a six-foot long toddler, which gives you some indication of the size of Mum and Dad. They do not look at all pleased to see you, probably on account of the chest they are guarding.

Wait, how do they fit in the room? It's 10' x 40', even if you put them lengthwise it's sure to be more than a bit cramped in there.

Section 76 **B (each) posted:

This is a tricky one. If you happen to have any blue powder with you, you might use it to make them slip and hence run back to the corridor (slamming the door securely shut behind you). If you haven't, you could run anyway by rolling two dice: score 2 to 6 and the Manticores rip you to pieces which they post to 14; score 7 to 12 and you get back to 129 intact. Or you could be really brave and fight the Manticores. Mum has 30 LIFE POINTS, Dad has 25 and Little Baby has 15, but all hit successfully on a 6 and score +3 damage. What's more, Little Baby has a Fireball similar to your own, which he will fire immediately if either of his parents are killed. If they slaughter you, it's off to 14. But if you survive, you get to loot the chest at 107.

Additionally, we have another option: this time we have enough coin to try to bribe our way through (two stars is 100 Gold Pieces, times three is 300, and we have more that 700 in our pockets). That is still subject to a roll, however, and if we don't manage to bribe all three we'll have to either run or fight, since I doubt any member of the family would let is kill their relatives, even for 100 Gold Pieces.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 37/44+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 23 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x34 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection (zero encounter rate for the level we use it, two charges) x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt x9 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 758 :siren: Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I want that chest! FIGHT!.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Fight! And Kill BABBY First, we don't want to take any chances with that 75-point fireball.

We'll probably want to chug a healing potion or two after the fight.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Murder the child, then the father, then the mother. Then laugh.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Time to throw down!

Pip's initiative roll: 3 + 1 = 4.
Dad Manticore's initiative roll: 2 + 3 = 5.
Mum Manticore's initiative roll: 5 + 5 = 10.
Little Baby Manticore's initiative roll: 2 + 6 = 8.

Turn order: Mum, Little Baby, Dad, us. (:smithicide:)

Mum Manticore attacks! 5 + 4 = 9, Pip is hit for 3 + 3 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 35.
Little Baby Manticore attacks! 2 + 4 = 6, Pip is hit for 0 + 3 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Dad Manticore attacks! 4 + 4 = 8, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 34.
Pip attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, Little Baby Manticore is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS, is down to 3 and out of the fight.

Mum Manticore attacks! 1 + 4 = 5, missed.
Dad Manticore attacks! 5 + 5 = 10, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 4 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 31.
Pip attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, Mum Manticore is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is down to 18.

Mum Manticore attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 30.
Dad Manticore attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 3 + 3 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 28.
Pip attacks! 5 + 3 = 8, Mum Manticore is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS; is down to 4 and joins her child in fainted-land.

Dad Manticore attacks! 1 + 1 = 2, missed by a mile.
Pip attacks! 6 + 6 = 12, Dad Manticore is hit for 8 + 5 + 5 = 18 LIFE POINTS and is down to 7.

Dad Manticore attacks! 1 + 5 = 6, Pip is hit for 0 + 3 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Pip attacks! 2 + 3 = 5, Dad Manticore is hit for 1 + 5 + 5 = 11 LIFE POINTS and is killed.

Now let's loot the chest! :dance:

Section 107 posted:

There are 150 gold pieces and an umbrella in the chest. At least it looks like an umbrella. Or a sunshade. One of those ridiculous candystriped things you see on the beach at Cannes in summer. Except that it doesn't have a handle.

Wait a minute, Pip - this isn't an umbrella: it's a collapsible shield; and magic to boot. If you use it during combat, it will stop you being hit by every third blow, however much damage the dice may show for that blow. What's more, it's so light it won't affect your speed so you can carry it however much other equipment you may have.

Nice find.

The only door from this chamber leads back out into the northern corridor.

First, let's drink a potion: 5 + 6 = 11, up to 39 LIFE POINTS.

Now let's get out of here before Mum Manticore and Little Baby Manticore wake up and discover they're now a widow and an orphan, respectively :ohdear:

The only vote we got regarding where to go next was the room at 108, so let's head there. We had three steps left over from last time, so the door to 108 being three steps away, we have to roll once for Wandering Monsters.

Wandering Monster roll: 5 + 5 = 10, there are two Triffids here. They hit on an 8 for +4 damage and have 30 LIFE POINTS and 15 Gold Pieces each.

Pip's initiative roll: 3 + 3 = 6.
Triffids' initiative roll: 1 + 2 = 3.

Pip attacks! 3 + 1 = 4, Triffid 1 is hit for 0 + 5 + 5 = 10 LIFE POINTS and is down to 20.
Triffid 1 attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, missed.
Triffid 2 attacks! 6 + 1 = 7, barely, but missed.

Pip attacks! 4 + 4 = 8, Triffid 1 is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS and is down to 6.
Triffid 1 attacks! 1 + 1 = 2.
Triffid 2 attacks! 6 + 6 = 12, ouch, Pip is hit for 4 + 4 - 4 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 35.

Pip attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Triffid 1 is killed.
Triffid 2 attacks! 1 + 2 = 3.

Pip attacks! 4 + 2 = 6, Triffid 2 is hit for 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 LIFE POINTS and is down to 18.
Triffid 2 attacks! 5 + 3 = 8, Pip is hit for 0 + 4 - 4 = 0 LIFE POINTS.

Pip attacks! 4 + 4 = 8, Triffid 2 is hit for 4 + 5 + 5 = 14 LIFE POINTS, is down to 4 and is knocked out.

Now let's pick up the loot and enter 108.

Section 108 posted:

This is such an oddly shaped room, like an upside down L, that you're going to have to work out the dimensions for yourself. You're also going to have to work out what to do about the Golls, one of which looks Korean.

They are, in the manner of their kind, fiddling with an infernal machine, parts of which are strewn untidily all about the chamber. The machine itself is steam driven, this being long before the days of electricity, and has a large red indicator with the needle set to 'DETONATION IMMINENT'. Beside the indicator is a lever pushed forward to the ON position.

This is a tricky problem, Pip. If that Goll is as Korean as he looks, he probably knows karate and could kill you with one blow even if you were standing behind a brick wall, which you're not.

Should you decide to fight the Golls before trying to do anything about their infernal machine, it may blow up at once and kill you all.

But if you decide to go for the machine first, both Golls have a free hit against you without your being able to hit back.

If you decide to switch off the machine first, take your hits and if they don't kill you, go to 137.
If you decide to fight the Golls first, go to 116.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 35/44+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 25 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion :siren: x33 :siren: (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection (zero encounter rate for the level we use it, two charges) x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies), :siren: Magic Collapsible Shield (weightless, stops every third blow) :siren:
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3), Lightning Bolt x9 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: 938 :siren: Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 22, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well it could be worse, at least they aren't swarthy.

First we switch off the machine, then we murderise the Golls, whatever they are, and then finally we claim that one of our best friends is Korean so we totally aren't racist, honest.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
The Karate is probably Kyokushin, if it's associated with Korea. Brutal. No point-fighters, these Golls.

I still think that we should switch off the machine first, though.

(Incidentally, do the salves use up an inventory space? If they do, I'd suggest using them up next time we need healing).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a shame there aren't three of them or the shield would save us anyhow.

...eh, we are still a wreckin' machine, though. Fight them first. Maybe this thing is trying to drain the pressure and shutting it off will doom us.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Let's switch off the machine first. Maybe they'll get tired after attacking us once and have to sit down for a long rest.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

You've voted to switch off the machine first. Let's see what happens!

Section 137 posted:

As the machine shuts off (which it does easily) you notice a bottle of healing potion (six doses: one die roll of LIFE POINTS restored per dose) propping up one of the side plates.

You snatch the bottle quickly, then turn to face the Golls which are lumbering forward to do you mischief. Each Goll has 10 LIFE POINTS, strikes on 6 and fights with a dagger which does +1 damage.

If they kill you, go to 14. If not, you can take either door out of the chamber.

This was a good decision. Contrast with Section 116, which is where we try to bash the Golls before shutting down the machine:

Section 116 posted:

BOOM!

There goes the infernal machine. You will find yourself accompanied by two Golls in 14, but fortunately they'll be too dead to make trouble. As will you, for that matter.

Also note that the healing potion we found here is different from the ones we already have, it's half as effective as those (only one die roll restored instead of two). Because of this difference I'm ruling that it counts as its own item and we have to drop something else if we want to pick it up.

And I almost forgot about the Golls. They get two hits in for free before rolling for initiative because we went for the machine, but nothing we can do about that.

Pip's initiative roll: 2 + 2 = 4.
Goll 1's initiative roll: 5 + 4 = 9.
Goll 2's initiative roll: 2 + 3 = 5.

Goll 1's free attack: 4 + 5 = 9, Pip is hit for 3 + 1 - 4 = 0 LIFE POINTS.
Goll 2's free attack: 4 + 3 = 7, Pip is hit for 2 + 1 - 4 = NO LIFE POINTS.
Goll 1 attacks! 2 + 3 = 5, missed.
Goll 2 attacks! 4 + 6 = 10, Pip is hit for 4 + 1 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 34.
Pip attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, Goll 1 is hit for 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 LIFE POINTS and is dead.
Goll 2 attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Pip is hit for 5 + 1 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 32.
Pip attacks! 3 + 6 = 9, Goll 2 joins his friend on the other side.

Now we are free to leave this place!

We're currently at 108, and we have three steps left from last time, so we'll have to roll after two steps and then every five steps after that. Where to, goons?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 32/44+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 26 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion x33 (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS), bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection (zero encounter rate for the level we use it, two charges) x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies), Magic Collapsible Shield (weightless, stops every third blow)
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
938 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Use all five healing salves to get us back up to 45 HP and free up an inventory slot, then pick up the half-strength healing potions before continuing on to 96.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Use all five healing salves to get us back up to 45 HP and free up an inventory slot, then pick up the half-strength healing potions before continuing on to 96.

Excellent idea!

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Actually (and contrary to what I said above), in a min-max-y sort of way I'd suggest drinking this new potion immediately and using the salves when we get to 30-or-below life points. It leaves us in the same position in terms of inventory slots.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Apologies for the delayed update, real life kicked my butt really hard these past few days.

Anyhow, like you said, let's use up all of our salves and get back up to 45 LIFE POINTS. This means we wasted two thirds of the last salve, but no matter, we still have a half-strength health potion.

To get to 96 we have to take three steps northward, so we have to roll once.

Wandering Monster roll: 2 + 2 = 4, we meet nobody.

Section 96 posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhthud!

That was the sound you just made falling down a pit, Pip. The whole 40' x 20' chamber is one big pit. Deep too, to judge from the time it took you to hit bottom. Deduct half your LIFE POINTS right away and pick yourself up so you can consider the situation calmly.

Note that the book doesn't say if it's half our total LIFE POINTS or our current LIFE POINTS, which is weird since elsewhere in the book it definitely makes a distinction between the two. Since we're topped up it makes no difference, but in other situations it could mean having to choose between life and 14.

Section 96 posted:

That's long enough for calm. Now you can panic. The situation is that unless you are carrying climbing spikes, rope and hammer, you will not get out of this pit. (Although you might, of course, try a Levitation spell if you're prepared to lose half your remaining LIFE POINTS, this being very definitely indoors.)

Assuming you do get out somehow, you may leave through either the western or the eastern door. Assuming you don't, you may go to 14.

:siren: Dick move alert! :siren: To climb out of this pit we need spikes, rope, and hammer. All three of them. In case we're missing one (or more, we are missing all three) our only chance is a PIL spell. Hope you haven't used them up before now!

Also, before doing any magic I'm going to use a full-strength healing potion, because since we have to pay three LIFE POINTS per spell it's quite possible to kill ourselves if we don't succeed on the first or second try.

Healing Potion roll: 4 + 6 = 10, we're up to 32 LIFE POINTS. Now for the spell, we have to roll at least a seven but we have three tries to do so.

Pip casts PIL! We're down to 29 LIFE POINTS, and (3 + 1 = 4) the spell fizzles. Once more.
Pip casts PIL! Down to 26 LIFE POINTS and (6 + 3 = 9) we rise up to ceiling level, banging our head in the process and losing 13 more LIFE POINTS.

Where to now?

Current section: 96, steps taken: 1

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 13/44+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 26
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4 or higher, +5 damage, +10 damage against dragons), dragonskin jacket (-4 damage), Healing Potion :siren: x34 :siren: (heals two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), :siren: Healing Salve x5 (heals 3 LIFE POINTS) Half-strength Healing Potion x6 (heals one dice roll worth of LIFE POINTS) :siren:, bookworm x1, blue powder x1, container of oil x1, Talisman of Wandering Monster Protection (zero encounter rate for the level we use it, two charges) x1, torch x1, pair of old boots x1, Poison Antidote x6, key to the Gateway of the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead x1, Scruffy Old Sir's Patent Weed-Killer x3 (double damage for one hit versus plant enemies), Magic Collapsible Shield (weightless, stops every third blow)
MAGIC:
Pip's First Spellbook and Pip's Second Spellbook (costs 3 LIFE POINTS per spell, maximum 3 uses per spell, need roll 7 or higher on two dice or spell doesn't work, used: PIP x3, :siren: PIL x2 :siren:), Lightning Bolt x9 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x1 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
938 Gold Pieces
STATUS EFFECTS:

Roll of the dead posted:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 28, 2015

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Edit: Oops, I misunderstood and thought the half-strength healing potion was a one-off. Since it has six uses, I will amend my suggestion.

Daaaaaaaang.

Use all six doses of the half-strength healing potion, and then one full-strength dose.

Since we started heading North to get to 96, I'm then going to suggest that we head on round the horn and go to 87.

Russ L fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 28, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If I remember correctly, the only currently reachable places we haven't been to yet are 135 and 87. 87 screams 'progress' to me (or not, there might be a really good item hidden in that half of the maze), so I'd say go to 135 first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Drink all six doses of the half-healing potion followed by enough full-strength healing potions to get us near max HP, then go to 135.

• Locked thread