Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Sometimes the eye actually makes things more spooky, like when it's wide open but you don't see an enemy, but you know that he sees you

By the way, I started playing Evil Within myself, and for some reason frame rate just went and started dying on me. This never happened before, so maybe it's because of some recent patch? Anyone else who plays on PC experiences similar stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

The eye is great for building paranoia, in the "where the gently caress is this one gonna come from" way.

I was also just commenting to a friend of mine as to how much I enjoy the :stonklol:. Looking forward to the update.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

dasmause posted:

By the way, I started playing Evil Within myself, and for some reason frame rate just went and started dying on me. This never happened before, so maybe it's because of some recent patch? Anyone else who plays on PC experiences similar stuff?

How so? I've had smooth sailing so far (well, the forest area gave me some lower framerate, but that's about it).

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

IronSaber posted:

How so? I've had smooth sailing so far (well, the forest area gave me some lower framerate, but that's about it).

Well as I said, the framerate is just garbage for me, which is weird cause that didn't happen before, or at least I don't remember. But that was before the update that allowed to remove the letterboxing

I'm still in forest levels (chapter 4), so I'll try to push it for weird catacomb-hospital-factory-place, but I guess my PC is suddenly poo poo now

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are you ready for more abrupt scene changes?

Too bad! 14: A Change Of Scenery/Polsy

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
I know it may not be much of use now. But in episode 13 you missed an angel statue on one of the moving body bags in the puzzle room.
I liked how the guy in episode 14 had the time to write help help help help in his note even if he got chased.

sagacious fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 27, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just caught up with all the videos and I love it when Scruffy nervously giggles. It's such a contrast to his usual calm.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

dasmause posted:

Sometimes the eye actually makes things more spooky, like when it's wide open but you don't see an enemy, but you know that he sees you

This is gonna sound really weird, but on the PC version I had WAY better performance after I went from the 30 FPS cap to 60FPS. When I had it capped to 30 it was tanking as lot as 20, then for some ungodly reason it now hovers around 50 and even hits 60 once in a while. No idea if that's gonna work for you but it definitely made a ridiculous difference for me.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

sagacious posted:

I know it may not be much of use now. But in episode 13 you missed an angel statue on one of the moving body bags in the puzzle room.

I miss a key in the next video too, but that one is a bit more obscure! I will forgive myself for missing...two? three? keys so far.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I think you're not intended to find all the keys on the first playthrough, since lockers give you shitloads of ammo that stays there, letting you spray bullets willy-nilly

Hopeford posted:

This is gonna sound really weird, but on the PC version I had WAY better performance after I went from the 30 FPS cap to 60FPS. When I had it capped to 30 it was tanking as lot as 20, then for some ungodly reason it now hovers around 50 and even hits 60 once in a while. No idea if that's gonna work for you but it definitely made a ridiculous difference for me.

I'm gonna check this out, thanks.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

I miss a key in the next video too, but that one is a bit more obscure! I will forgive myself for missing...two? three? keys so far.

Thought I just point it out if you ever get back there or just wanted to play the game again. Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they started to put these key's in even more obscure places.

sagacious fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 27, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

sagacious posted:

Thought I just point it out if you ever get back there or just wanted to play the game again. Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they started to put these key's in even more obscure places.
I still remember feeling so stupid when I was playing through that invisible zombie hospital part because there was a statue strapped to the back of a rat....but all I could see is this statue hopping about and freaking out. I seriously thought it was some new, terrifying monster and I just ran for cover.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Niggurath posted:

I still remember feeling so stupid when I was playing through that invisible zombie hospital part because there was a statue strapped to the back of a rat....but all I could see is this statue hopping about and freaking out. I seriously thought it was some new, terrifying monster and I just ran for cover.

They game is getting in your head man (would have liked to see that to be honest). But hat truly does sound like a monster they should put into the game.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
This game kinda feels like it has pacing problems. It's not as bad anymore as it was in the start but it's kinda weird how the game kinda strongly encourages you to move forward constantly and you feel like you are in hurry all the time but what you actually have to do is rub every nook and corner for pots to smash or you won't have any ammo left.

Here's a big, scary room that creates feeling of oppression and forebonding and makes you try to keep camera pointing at every direction at once. Now spend 10 minutes walking around it picking green slime until whole room feels just boring. All the while your friends are screaming for help because they'll drown any second now and the weird doctor is telling you to hurry up and ignore all the goodies and events and files laying around.

Green jelly upgrade mechanic honestly feels pretty bad. It's basically mostly just about making your numbers bigger, except they never really get big enough to make the mook fights easier and against new enemies it just lets you keep up with their damage. I don't know if we are insane or what but since we are using weird monster slime to upgrade ourselves with electroshock therapy, they could have made the upgrades at least a bit spookier. Hell, it could have had story component with more upgrades resulting the dude becoming more and more unhinged.

The ammo scavenging also feels kinda stupid because you basically seem to be forced to do it if you don't want to spend several weeks meleeing everything slowly but if you do, even someone as bad at this as Scruffy manages end the fights with whole bunch of ammo left, despite spraying it all over the walls.

Considering how different the start is, it kinda feels like maybe the devs intended the game to be more sneaky than it currently is, with ammo rare and guns as last resort. Except that doesn't explain the McGyver crossbow, which feels like something that escaped from Painkiller and snuck in.

Maybe it works differently when you are actually playing it. Good LP tho.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that the game has gotten so bananas that you can't even do your usual "last time we did x, and this time we're gonna do y!" thing at the start of videos anymore, because who the hell knows what's gonna happen next. It's actively trying to poo poo on your LP now. :v:

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Hey, you met my favorite character, whom I affectionately call Mr. Safe-for-a-head. Although this part of the game suffers from the "randomness" that affects the rest of the game, this part is oppressive in a good way; the enemies have amped up without being too combat-heavy like in the previous areas, and ammunition can run dangerously low.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, here's a question, how does the thread think we are going to be able to fight Ruvik? Because you know eventually we will do that, its a video game after all, but how do fight a guy who's able to do the stuff that Ruvik can.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm assuming he really can't, and the only way Seb is going to be able to escape is to somehow unplug himself from the brain machine that he's probably a part of. I'm assuming that Ruvik isn't actually supernatural or anything, he just has the power to appear that way because he's the master of whatever domain Seb and friends currently reside in.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

CJacobs posted:

I'm assuming he really can't, and the only way Seb is going to be able to escape is to somehow unplug himself from the brain machine that he's probably a part of. I'm assuming that Ruvik isn't actually supernatural or anything, he just has the power to appear that way because he's the master of whatever domain Seb and friends currently reside in.

Then how did he do those things at the beginning of the game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We might not even have been in reality as we knew it even then. That's the trouble with reality-warping illusion worlds. You're not sure where it starts or ends and you never can be.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

grandalt posted:

Well, here's a question, how does the thread think we are going to be able to fight Ruvik? Because you know eventually we will do that, its a video game after all, but how do fight a guy who's able to do the stuff that Ruvik can.

Easy, with an Anti-Boss Rocket Launcher.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I really hate the trope of "note describing how monster is chasing a guy". This is more or less "Scary monster is chasing me, better tweet about it!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The problem is that it is all in a readable font. If each "help" was scribbled in various ways it would be more convincing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh no, you're gonna be chased by Pyrami- sorry, by Safe-head.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Samovar posted:

Oh no, you're gonna be chased by Pyrami- sorry, by Safe-head.
Trust me when I say that while there are some initial similarities between the two, Safe Head will prove to be much more dangerous.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

Trust me when I say that while there are some initial similarities between the two, Safe Head will prove to be much more dangerous.

My experience thus far holds this to be true. It might just be the game format since SH2 wasn't exactly action focused. No worries though, we'll have an accounting of Safe Head in the next video.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

dasmause posted:

I really hate the trope of "note describing how monster is chasing a guy". This is more or less "Scary monster is chasing me, better tweet about it!"

The thing is you know people would do it too! "Lulz! Getting chased by a super scary monster guize! *Selfie*"

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Mraagvpeine posted:

Then how did he do those things at the beginning of the game?

(Spoiler thing removed! -Geop)

And yeah, I don't think you're meant to get all the keys the first go-round. Any that you miss will be back in NG+ anyway, and some lockers spawn 1 or 2 additional keys (if you are planning on getting them all in-game, quit and reload if that happens; you don't get new lockers in NG+ so it's basically wasted keys :( ).

Puistokemisti posted:

Green jelly upgrade mechanic honestly feels pretty bad. It's basically mostly just about making your numbers bigger, except they never really get big enough to make the mook fights easier and against new enemies it just lets you keep up with their damage. I don't know if we are insane or what but since we are using weird monster slime to upgrade ourselves with electroshock therapy, they could have made the upgrades at least a bit spookier.

Agree with your entire post, but especially this. The premise of the upgrade system is (Spoiler thing removed! -Geop).

I did the no-upgrade trophy and while it wasn't as hard as you might think, you definitely feel the lack of firepower in the starter revolver and shotgun (you really need to go for headshots with it without any damage boosts), and the lack of extra matches is rough in the setpiece fights. Luckily you can run away from a number of bosses and you're only out the Ooze they drop (in exchange for a lot of ammo, which is usually a trade in your favor, heh). I think it'd be a lot easier if you have a Fighting Chance :razz: , since you still get tons of parts to make those incendiary/poison bolts with; but we obviously didn't have that.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 29, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, this is a very boring upgrade system.

I prefer upgrade systems that are outlandish and amazing like Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel where while there are just stat-number-boosters in there, you also have a lot of stuff that transforms how you play the game, sometimes radically so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like it because it gives you the option of spreading everything out evenly OR specializing in one or two things for the same amount of gel investment. You can make your Seb be generally healthy and have a little left over for firepower or you can pump your guns up to the max and be a walking paper mache sculpture. Plus there is some crazy stuff like the bullets doing fire damage or whatever at the max upgrade for some of them, and I'm glad it is retained to those spots because you really don't fight many enemies in this game all things considered.

edit: Well, maybe I should amend that. You don't fight enough enemies at a time for those kinds of upgrades to not be crazy super over-useful, so it's good that they save the special effects for the end of the upgrade branch.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 28, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

True, true, there are tactical options to pursue.

Getting good at this game is at least as much a process as learning how to do stuff as a player as dumping upgrade points into the player character. The game usually doesn't hint that you can shoot a guy to down him and then toss a match on him to burn him and his buddy walking over him, or stuff like that.

It's a pity this game has no martial arts moves, but not everyone can be Leon S. Kennedy I guess, haha.

My only other complaint is that some of the areas are a bit dull-looking, like you can tell which parts of the game were under-budget. Whoever was in charge of the DLC sure was a lot better at evening it out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Goddamn do I wish upgrading the melee gave Seb new moves or a heftier swing or something. That'd be awesome. :allears:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I was going to write more about how the crossbow feels like it doesn't fit the rest of the game, like it was from Painkiller compared to the rest of the game's RE4 style but then I remembered Leon suplexing zombies in Alfred E. Neuman's Magic Castle.

So I guess the reason RE4 didn't have crossbow with multiple bolts was because they were too busy coding hand pump animation for Ashley for when Leon headshots a villager.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Discovering you can easily use bottles to lure the (presumably maybe actually Spanish this time) murderpeasants into traps has made me decide this game is, in fact, as fun as dscruffy is making it look.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The crossbow is a nice juxtaposition of "obviously evil, probably something from the church used for torturing people" being wielded by a normal revolver-toting detective. It immediately makes Sebastian go from "screwed and scared" to "going toe to toe with evil" while bringing you to question if upgrading your mind with green goo or using this weird loving crossbow by the name of "Agony" are good ideas

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wish you can have the ability to set up your own traps, like the bear trap or the trip wire.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You do :haw: the bolts which aren't harpoon bolts can be fired at the ground and used as traps to lure enemies into. Put on on the ground, throw a bottle in the other side of it, kablaam!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, explosive bolts act like mines when no enemies are near them. Not sure about all the rest of them.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Goddamn do I wish upgrading the melee gave Seb new moves or a heftier swing or something. That'd be awesome. :allears:
Melee becomes pretty powerful once it's maxed out, so powerful that you can gib zombie heads with it.

Night10194 posted:

Discovering you can easily use bottles to lure the (presumably maybe actually Spanish this time) murderpeasants into traps has made me decide this game is, in fact, as fun as dscruffy is making it look.
I still don't know if dscruffy has shown it off yet, but there's something else you can do that's fun with bottles. If he'd want I could show it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

:v: My favorite thing about the game so far is just being game for whatever bullshit it decides to throw at you. The fact that it is an action-survival horror game is inviting shenanigans from the get-go. The question is if you're willing to roll with it. If so, man you're in for a treat, strap in for the ride. If not...well you're like the guy who criticizes a magic show. Cool dude, you pointed out it's not really magic.

Puistokemisti posted:

The ammo scavenging also feels kinda stupid because you basically seem to be forced to do it if you don't want to spend several weeks meleeing everything slowly but if you do, even someone as bad at this as Scruffy manages end the fights with whole bunch of ammo left, despite spraying it all over the walls.

But I'm trying really hard :saddowns:

Niggurath posted:

I still don't know if dscruffy has shown it off yet, but there's something else you can do that's fun with bottles. If he'd want I could show it off?

If you're going for smash a dude in the head and then stealth kill him it was in the last video. If not...hm. Show it off man, I'm curious.

• Locked thread