Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Nah, that was it; I guess I just need to catch up on the last video :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, there's an achievement for killing the chainsaw guy in chapter 3 with stealth-knife attacks. It takes more than one to do it to him, though. You either use bottles or the flash harpoon.

I kinda wish more levels were like Chapter 3 in that it was an explorable area with multiple options for progress. Unfortunately some places in TEW are a tad linear.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

CJacobs posted:

I like it because it gives you the option of spreading everything out evenly OR specializing in one or two things for the same amount of gel investment.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the upgrade system is perfectly competent, I think it's one of the best-balanced of its type in any game I've played. Saving up the 50k for max damage + :supaburn: harpoon bolts and putting off the quality-of-life stuff until halfway through the game is good stuff. It's just, y'know, kind of uninspired given the setting.

Puistokemisti posted:

So I guess the reason RE4 didn't have crossbow with multiple bolts was because they were too busy coding hand pump animation for Ashley for when Leon headshots a villager.

And that was the right decision. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure the crossbow was originally in the medieval mash-up stage and got moved back because that'd be too late in the game to get the iconic gimmick weapon. It's really weird they put it in the same stage as the shotgun.

Using explosive bolts as mines is a lot of fun, but I'm writh Mraag, it would've been cool to like turn grenades into mines with parts or something (since as-is they're only used to recycle into more bolts). Can you actually use shock/freeze bolts as traps too? I tried using freeze bolts in boss fights a lot and, well, missed a lot, and I could've sworn they just go off uselessly if they hit a wall.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

dscruffy1 posted:

But I'm trying really hard :saddowns:

It's not really your fault. Enemies in this game spaz out like motherfuckers, besides I believe you have a chance to miss any shot. Sometimes they just kinda phase through the enemy, I think it has something to do with "accuracy" stat

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It also has to do with the fact that as they get close, the shot will often miss over their shoulder even though it looked like there was a path from the gun to the face. Shooting is pretty hard in this game because the enemy rarely gives you those 'I'm holding still and looming' moments like they did in RE4.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I hate to say it but I think that unlit candle in the candelabra was a key statue :v:

I don't have much else to say but totally been digging your playthrough. I usually really dislike blind LPs but you've managed to make it work!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wayne posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the upgrade system is perfectly competent, I think it's one of the best-balanced of its type in any game I've played. Saving up the 50k for max damage + :supaburn: harpoon bolts and putting off the quality-of-life stuff until halfway through the game is good stuff. It's just, y'know, kind of uninspired given the setting.

True. I think giving Seb some kind of very, very rudimentary psychic powers as you up his personal stats would've been cool. Not like, stuff like being able to TK enemies or whatever but maybe like being able to pick up items from a distance or see traps with a super faint glow or something like that. If the mind meld thing actually is what's happening, it COULD make sense given that Seb is getting more and more linked to Ruvik as the game goes.

edit: And I definitely agree with death .cab for qt, I just adore the whole "a regular plain ol dude wielding a crazy batshit hellcrossbow" aesthetic. The psychic powers idea could have even linked into that to make Seb become less and less "normal" as you go deeper into the nightmare.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, something akin to the "hear/see nearby enemies through walls" as an unlockable skill, as you have in The Last of Us, might have been nice. Just so you have a better idea of what's around the corner for you. Bonus: it doesn't work if you haven't previously spotted the enemy so you can still be surprised.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

It's not a Mikami game without a rocket launcher. The game made me go "It's like Spencer Manor/Spain all over again!" several times already, so Plot-Rockets would be no surprise.

One thing the game has going for it with its supposedly "dream logic" is that anything it gives you, you don't question it. A bunch of horror games add scares or gameplay things that don't really fit in with the rest of the game, but here it's easy just accept everything as it is and roll with it. Mutant dogs? Sure. Twin monstrosities? Great. Safes wrapped in barbed wire and with meaty goo inside? Still more tasteful than that Dead Island torso.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
And so we'll finish up chapter 7 with 15: Playing For Keep(er)s/Polsy. Probably my favorite video so far.

Also if you feel like I've had the game too easy and haven't been dying enough, chapter 9 will sate your bloodlust. I hope. Those of you who have already played it, I don't die to what you're probably expecting. But I do meet my end a few times.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 29, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dscfruffys nervous laugh i'd the best part of this LP.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Took you a while to figure out shooting the safe didn't work, huh? Heh.

I like how when he's separated from you, he deliberately decapitates himself just to respawn closer to you.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Here's a video that illustrates how handguns work in The Evil Within: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeBh4T9yao

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
When Leslie was laughing I thought it was you for a second. :stonklol:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I yelled at my computer after you shot Safehead in the head for the seventh time, wasting your bolts.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

Took you a while to figure out shooting the safe didn't work, huh? Heh.

death .cab for qt posted:

I yelled at my computer after you shot Safehead in the head for the seventh time, wasting your bolts.

I'm kind of a slow learner. It's tough to start aiming not for the head after spending so long aiming for the head. Also it was my first time seeing the dude so I don't know how much health to expect. Maybe he's just tanky! :v:

Turns out the secret is just to aim for the soft squishy bits. If something squirts out blood you're probably doing it right.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
To be honest, killing someone by repeatedly shooting them in the rear end and wailing "stop it, you're gross!", is a bit of a double standard.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
A secret you missed:

Before taking the last lithograph, the spikes you can lower manually actually lead you up to a higher level with a key and some other goodies. I'm not sure whether there was some lore there too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pyramid Head may have been relentless and apparently indestructible but this sucker instead has Infinite Respawns (as long as there are safes nearby, anyway). I like him.

There's actually been a couple horrible pursuer monsters so far, the multi-armed stringy-haired Sadako thing and also the Chainsaw Guy.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was impressively tense. I particularly like box-head ripping his neck open so he could respawn somewhere more convenient. Incidentally, you know that you're actually starting to gibber, right Scruffy?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I especially like in that section how the poison gas gives the perfect cover for not being able to see where safes might be present, so you're never totally sure where he might rise from. Also the design on the safe man is great because from far away he just seems like a possibly slow and lumbering enemy, but then you get up close and you see he's wielding traps and he's faster than he seems. Then he hits you with his meat purse....that's when it all becomes too, too real.

I'm kinda bummed though that you didn't try to mash more guys with the spike traps; it's a good way to save ammo and it's super satisfying (which is another thing this game does well and you're showing off super well with your sighs of relief).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There are levels where Chainsaw Guy can chase you that also have bear traps in them and he'll get his foot stuck in them same as anyone else. You don't always have the ability to make the most of it since you can't lay bear traps of your own, but it's there.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm actually a bit upset that the proximity mines are the only traps that don't work on other enemies. I can understand from a gameplay/design standpoint why it's like that, but it's a bit jarring since everything else works. (I mean, yeah, you can shoot them and the blast will hurt, but they don't activate by themselves.)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today we're in a cave. This is a short little chapter that seems to mostly serve as a recuperation chapter after the excitement of THE KEEPER. There's ammo, traps, bad guys, human cockroaches, plot dumps, and chase sequences! You won't want to miss it! Also the audio balance is a bit off on this one. Not sure if I lowered my microphone or forgot to autoduck or what. Anyway!

16: Cavern Interlude/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Those crawling monsters... :stare:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
And now we know why they put in the Deadspace stomp.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Welp that clears up all the illusion/mind/reality speculating. Kind of unsatisfying that it's all dumped on you at once.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Scaramouche posted:

Welp that clears up all the illusion/mind/reality speculating. Kind of unsatisfying that it's all dumped on you at once.

Don't worry, there's a big plot dump in the next chapter! We'll get a deeper look into who the gently caress is Ruvik. Also a lot more death. A lot. More. Death.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
That... Certainly struck a chord. I was just thinking about how we still do not know what happened to his wife and daughter? Did they die or did their marriage disintegrate. Either way Seb found himself a haven at the bottom of a bottle. And enter demon babies... I suppose they could represent the baby that destroyed his marriage? A crib death or negligence weights heavily on a relationship.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Scaramouche posted:

Actually, I find it broadly reassuring. It was starting to sound a lot like they were going to pull a tedious "it was all a dream while Seb was mad" cop-out. This has potential to be a lot stranger, at least.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hooray for you, scruff; I remember following the Evil Within games thread and there were seriously people calling that plate puzzle bullshit because it was so 'vague' or it didn't give proper hints. But you saw through the complex trappings and you succeeded. Seriously though....people are bad at games and you're not one of them.

Also the challenge for this level was pretty fun and tense, it requires you to not fire a single shot from a gun and the start of the level is the worst/best part of it....cause those technical guys have a pretty nasty murder move.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Niggurath posted:

Hooray for you, scruff; I remember following the Evil Within games thread and there were seriously people calling that plate puzzle bullshit because it was so 'vague' or it didn't give proper hints. But you saw through the complex trappings and you succeeded. Seriously though....people are bad at games and you're not one of them.

Also the challenge for this level was pretty fun and tense, it requires you to not fire a single shot from a gun and the start of the level is the worst/best part of it....cause those technical guys have a pretty nasty murder move.

I saw the cheevo for this level and at first blush "no gunfire that should be easy".

In reality it's a bit harder. The puzzle is pretty easy though come on now it's staring you in the face. A DUDE DIED. WHICH SIDE HAS BLOOD ON IT. C'mon now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

dscruffy1 posted:

Also a lot more death. A lot. More. Death.

I just started rage-vomiting uncontrollably. So you have my sympathies.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The plate puzzle got me because I was over thinking it. Surely the blood on one side was too easy of a clue, or so I thought right before the trap killed me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hearing these stories about that trap reminds me of a chapter of this series I read. Here is the chapter in question. You can clearly guess the outcome.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

It's been pretty clear from the lore that this is what was going on the whole time, and there have been plenty of subtler hints as well such as comments about headaches like a spike in the brain, dudebros comment of "You brought me here", etc.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CrazySalamander posted:

It's been pretty clear from the lore that this is what was going on the whole time, and there have been plenty of subtler hints as well such as comments about headaches like a spike in the brain, dudebros comment of "You brought me here", etc.

It's true, and I'm not criticizing it (which is why I said unsatisfying instead of disappointing), but I was hoping they'd draw it out a little more, do some more cool things with hints and so on. It is kind of decanted all at once. At least it's not magic which was my second theory. There are also still things unaddressed that I'm sure will be juicy, like the kid/kidman, what really happens to Joe, etc.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So I've learned to love Flash Bolts.

Flash Bolts blind enemies for a set amount of time, but opens them up for Stealth Kills from any angle. This made them very useful against the Invisible Haunted in the hospital level, since it makes them visible while blinded and ready for stabby-stabby.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Also, the base stun time is enough for you to stab 3 guys, all for a low, low cost of 2 trap parts. And if you screw up, no problem, blind fire another bolt into the ground and resume stabbings. That's still just 4 trap parts for 3 guys or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Niggurath posted:

Hooray for you, scruff; I remember following the Evil Within games thread and there were seriously people calling that plate puzzle bullshit because it was so 'vague' or it didn't give proper hints.

I am awe-struck that these people made it that far into the game. I thought the puzzle was good regardless of how simple it is, mostly because it reminds me of a D&D puzzle.

IronSaber posted:

So I've learned to love Flash Bolts.

Flash Bolts blind enemies for a set amount of time, but opens them up for Stealth Kills from any angle. This made them very useful against the Invisible Haunted in the hospital level, since it makes them visible while blinded and ready for stabby-stabby.

That's the most use I got out of them as well.

• Locked thread