Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Americans just aren't good at driving on the left while drunk and with a dozen people in the back of their truck. :vuvu:

steinrokkan posted:

Oh, the terrible tyranny of the EU.
Yes. Don't give up your printing press to Germany unless you are Germany or have the common agricultural policy and a dozen former colonies to sponge off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

I hope for your sake that they turn around and tell the EU to get hosed when it comes to the Eurozone. How many years have they got left?

Uh, infinite? You have to meet some weird standards for inflation etc for a number of years straight or get large banks to say you're totally ok anyway in order to get on the Euro.

It is very easy to never meet the criteria if you don't really want to.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pakled posted:

Nope, it's drug-related.

It's pretty clearly diagonal lines of accident and drug related

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nintendo Kid posted:

or get large banks to say you're totally ok anyway
I hope they don't make that mistake twice.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Air accident in Bangladesh :stare:

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I'm the guy who drowned in Mali.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HookShot posted:

Air accident in Bangladesh :stare:

That's Nepal. Bangladesh is drowning.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wasn't there an airplane who crashed in Nepal recently?

Edit: oh no, that was an earthquake.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pakled posted:

That reminds me, I wonder if they have the same jokes about the sea swallowing Bangladesh as we have here in Europe about the sea swallowing the Netherlands?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well, unlike in the Netherlands where they'll just build a giant wall at ridiculous cost, shitloads of people will be displaced in Bangladesh, so it's less funny

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I never heard such jokes for the netherlands to be honest, it's probably a German thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

That reminds me, I wonder if they have the same jokes about the sea swallowing Bangladesh as we have here in Europe about the sea swallowing the Netherlands?
Yes, they're hilarious. :stare:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think I read about some case a while ago where a tourist took unfamiliar drugs, started acting very weird, then jumped off a bridge and died in the water.

Would that be in the 'drug-related' 'drowning' or 'suicide' category?

E:
This is almost a map:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 28, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Pakled posted:

Air travel in Nepal, man. If you look at a list of fatal plane crashes, it's like half Nepal.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Laos and Cambodia being drug deaths is the least surprising of them all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Ras Het posted:

Air travel in Nepal, man. If you look at a list of fatal plane crashes, it's like half Nepal.

I'm guessing it's like Alaska where half the country has to fly to go to the grocery store, except without western safety standards.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is old timey opium still smoked?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

Is old timey opium still smoked?

according to that guy who started it again, it's not really

iirc the main reason was that it's harder to smuggle and the profit marginal wouldn't be as great as in heroin

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Well, unlike in the Netherlands where they'll just build a giant wall at ridiculous cost, shitloads of people will be displaced in Bangladesh, so it's less funny

I own the Onion's atlas, and I recall the entry for Bangladesh was dubbed "God's practical joke".

I can recommend the atlas to this thread. Most entries are pretty funny and some are edgy in the proper (non-GBS/shitlord/reddit) sense. My favourite one is a map of the DR Congo with numerous arrows indicating some stuff, including "This gorilla has seen enough".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Laos and Cambodia being drug deaths is the least surprising of them all.
I wonder how many is tourists going there to do opiates, and how many is caused by malaria medication.

I have known people to be very badly affected by lariam, and a suicide or fatal accident after some of the side effects wouldn't be something I'd rule out.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Laos (and Cambodia) is where you go if you want to stretch out 5 grand into two years of laying in a hammock staring at a river/beach smoking weed all day.

There used to be bars with menus like this in Vang Vieng but they were shut down a couple of years ago:

50,000 Kip is about 6 bucks.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

the jizz taxi posted:

I own the Onion's atlas, and I recall the entry for Bangladesh was dubbed "God's practical joke".

I can recommend the atlas to this thread. Most entries are pretty funny and some are edgy in the proper (non-GBS/shitlord/reddit) sense. My favourite one is a map of the DR Congo with numerous arrows indicating some stuff, including "This gorilla has seen enough".

Yeah the Onion atlas is pretty decent. Not all of the jokes land but it's still pretty solid.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I'm the guy who drowned in Mali.

I was curious about this so I looked it up at the source:
code:
MALI
09-04-2014	Bamako					Drowning
01-24-2010	Bamako					Other Accident
12-02-2008	Bandiagara				Other Accident
12-21-2007	Djema					Veh. Accid-Auto
09-03-2006	Niger River				Drowning
09-03-2006	Polyclinique Pasteur			Drowning
Niger River is a dangerous place, who knew?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pakled posted:

You know, as I was typing that at 6am here in New Zealand I thought "man that doesn't seem right maybe I should look at the map again" and then my brain went "nahhhhhh it's fine" and now here I am, embarrassed about my geography skills on the internet.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Koramei posted:

I'm guessing it's like Alaska where half the country has to fly to go to the grocery store, except without western safety standards.
I'd guess mountains, bad weather and difficult airstrips on top of general third world air safety problems.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Leading disabilities.

Individual States' credit ratings.

Number of Thunderstorms per year.

Vaccine exemption law in the States.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jaramin posted:

That's a politically loaded color key if I've ever seen one

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jaramin posted:

Individual States' credit ratings.

Must be from a while back. Fitch bumped California to A+ in February and S&P bumped California to AA- this month.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jaramin posted:

This one is surprising

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Must be from a while back. Fitch bumped California to A+ in February and S&P bumped California to AA- this month.

What happened to gently caress up the credit rating so bad in the first place?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frostwerks posted:

This one is surprising

California is extremely recent too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaramin posted:

How do they tell the difference between a religion and a philosophy?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
How are people drowning in the Netherlands? Not exactly a beach holiday destination, unless they're including the Caribbean islands?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

How do they tell the difference between a religion and a philosophy?

Belief in a deity or universal power? I know thats the test in the UK.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sweek0 posted:

How are people drowning in the Netherlands? Not exactly a beach holiday destination, unless they're including the Caribbean islands?
The canals + being drunk, I'd guess.

(random example, this is Delft, but there are plenty of similar examples in, say, Amsterdam. No barriers!)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Flipperwaldt posted:

The canals + being drunk, I'd guess.

(random example, this is Delft, but there are plenty of similar examples in, say, Amsterdam. No barriers!)

That's actually kinda sad. I mean I know it's cost prohibitive to line the canal walls with ladders or recesses but loving hell that has got to be terrible to drown with what looks like just slightly more than arm's reach of salvation.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not many Americans died in the Netherlands (or most of the other countries) so random causes are more likely to show up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kavak posted:

What happened to gently caress up the credit rating so bad in the first place?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9312_California_budget_crisis

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Frostwerks posted:

That's actually kinda sad. I mean I know it's cost prohibitive to line the canal walls with ladders or recesses but loving hell that has got to be terrible to drown with what looks like just slightly more than arm's reach of salvation.
We have these along canals and waterways where people are likely to walk:

I get that they might be a bit gauche for Amsterdam, but they're better than drowning (and I thought the Dutch liked orange).

e:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Belief in a deity or universal power? I know thats the test in the UK.
It's the 'universal power' where things get weird though, like with Taoism, which considers itself both a religion and philosophy, and would get confused about the deity requirement. Or UU.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

We have these along canals and waterways where people are likely to walk:

I get that they might be a bit gauche for Amsterdam, but they're better than drowning (and I thought the Dutch liked orange).

They would get stolen/destroyed the same afternoon they're put up.