Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

New form of motion in that fixes the troubles we were having on level 2, and the troubles we had in VR. VR now works really well, but eventually I should grab a skybox that works in the Rift. Added in grass detection and speed boosts to level 1. Fixed the juttering in multiplayer, but didn't have someone available to film with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGWVjac0IY

Left: Bots, Audio, In-game UI (Starting the race, checkpoints, speed), Honk, a second driver model, a main menu for VR, a controls screen, and if we have the time a third track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Welcome to Kitty City

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Splode posted:

:words: about baseball

Thanks for this. I did a bunch of work on fielders and runners today, caught some bugs (definitely your first, hopefully your second), and tweaked some things. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a build, with fly balls also implemented.

Fielding does need to be nerfed, it does feel like it's brutal even by baseball standards. I'm trying to figure out if there's some randomization noise in there, since the RNG seems to like to stick to one side of 50% (I know I know, our perception of what is random sucks), but when it gets like that it's brutal since all of the game rolls are <= pct checks.

If anyone wants to brainstorm some adorable cat umpire sayings, I'll take it all.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

If anyone wants to brainstorm some adorable cat umpire sayings, I'll take it all.

"HE'S ME-OUWT OF HERE"

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It sunk in how little time I have left. This is a bad thing. So many components of my game are "almost done".

The biggest problem is having my enemies follow paths, also break from them, and then also return to them. If I can't figure that out in the next day or two I'm going to have to scrap my basic idea of a game and come up with something completely different and I'm not currently liking my chances.
gently caress paths. I don't need paths. Games without paths are better anyway!

dupersaurus posted:

"Fur ball"
"Scratch one (two, three)"
"Safe at purred base"
"Mew're out!"
"You swing like a mouse"

e: I just remembered your game doesn't have a ball and I don't know how it works, hopefully these weren't entirely useless.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 28, 2015

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Welcome to Kitty City

I can't believe how many levels you have done. I'm struggling with four. :stonklol:

dupersaurus posted:

Catter-up.

Jo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Ha, I love how many of those cat baseball jokes are already in there.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Pitchers Meow-nd?
Mitt? (ok that's already a thing in baseball but you can say a kitten's mitten or something)
Instead of "stealing home base" you can say "stealing home lasagne" (I don't know anything about baseball)

anyway my game is going........... well if you remember how well I did the past few years then you're in for a treat I guess :kingsley:

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

:colbert:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Looks good to me, ship it.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Tsk tsk, white fringing! Here's a fixed version.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Splode posted:

Ha, I love how many of those cat baseball jokes are already in there.

Yeah, the meow-t line was the genesis of umpire cat.

Giggs posted:

"Scratch one (two, three)"
"You swing like a mouse"

e: I just remembered your game doesn't have a ball and I don't know how it works, hopefully these weren't entirely useless.

I'm stealing these.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
While I wish I had more time to implement a few more features and polish some more things, I am out of time because I am going out of town for the rest of the week.

So I present:

County Fair Figure 8 Racin! (Windows download)

From the man who brought you Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter, The thrills of the county fair are yours in County Fair Figure 8 Racin. Choose your car and race on the mostly dangerous race course ever designed by man: the deadly Figure 8.

Featuring:

-3 cars to choose from
-Play using keyboard, controller, or mouse. (in game only, menus require mouse)
-Funnel Cakes!

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 28, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

dupersaurus posted:

It's buggy, imbalanced, untested and unplayed, but hell it's going to keep me off the wall of shame. If this has given me anything, its much respect for people that have made real, actual baseball games. Baseball without a ball is hard. The numbers are off, slanted a bit more towards the defense than I'd like (even for baseball), but the general idea is there: how do you play baseball without a ball? With a cat umpire, that's how.

Sandlot Base-no-ball, version "Where did July go?"

If anyone would like to bang their heads against this, knock yourself out. I've left all of my console debug messages in with some numbers, if anyone wants to peek (github issues).

I'm missing one feature from the planned design, but I might go without it to save the time. I've got to get the fly ball mechanics wrapped up, then spend the rest of the week tweaking math and stats, and adding color text and more actions.
This really is weirdly compelling. I wonder if there are actual PnP baseball RP's out there.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I don't know how it was sourced, but if I drag PNGs from the browser to PS it does that black infill instead of alpha. If I save the PNG and open it in PS it doesn't. :iiam:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

I don't know how it was sourced, but if I drag PNGs from the browser to PS it does that black infill instead of alpha. If I save the PNG and open it in PS it doesn't. :iiam:

The short not-explanation for this is that Photoshop's PNG-alpha support has always been kinda weird and garbage for some reason!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I'm leaving the white fringing in. lovely is my style. :downs:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Trucksimul8or is submitted.

Critics call it "basically DONKEY.BAS"

http://johnearnest.github.io/Octo/index.html?gist=a8a227e707cd138ba258

Control:

W : steer left
D : steer right
E : menu selection

Buffis fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 29, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Shalinor posted:

This really is weirdly compelling. I wonder if there are actual PnP baseball RP's out there.

Looking at Board Game Geek, the answer is yes, although most of it seems to be 20+ years old. There may be inspiration there for a system revamp, if I continue on with this, but it looks to be a lot of spergy number crunching.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

-Funnel Cakes!

Love it! The car ai is pretty funny when it messes up : D

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I didn't exactly sign up or commit to anything, but put me on the Wall of Shame as well. I actually had time this year, and wanted to do something, but nothing really came together in my head for a good video game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Buffis posted:

Trucksimul8or is submitted.

Critics call it "basically DONKEY.BAS"

http://johnearnest.github.io/Octo/index.html?gist=a8a227e707cd138ba258

GOTY

8236 is my best. cars coming from the left wreckin my day

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Aaaaaaah there's so little time left aaaaaah

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Right now I'm at "last minute polishing and playtesting" mode. I think I'll get this done?

Do we need a Windows AND Mac build or will just one of the two be fine?

In unrelated news gamemaker has been freezing up a lot so building is scary https://vine.co/v/eXqteh6012r

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Still working on core gameplay. :shepface:

Though just the scoring/objectives, thankfully. The actual mechanics of driving around pretty much got done a long time ago. If all else fails, I could release a sandbox driving simulator no problem.

But this means I'm going to be working hard as heck in the next few days, and everything that's not absolutely necessary has now been downgraded to 'optional'. My standards for everything I'm working has also been lowered from 'Good' to 'Good Enough'.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Afal posted:

Right now I'm at "last minute polishing and playtesting" mode. I think I'll get this done?

Do we need a Windows AND Mac build or will just one of the two be fine?

In unrelated news gamemaker has been freezing up a lot so building is scary https://vine.co/v/eXqteh6012r

One of the two will be fine

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

One of the two will be fine

Just make sure it is obvious somewhere which build you have so we can match the game up to a judge appropriately.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress my life. I'm just going to cobble this together into a playable state and call it done I hope.

Oh god why is my sound folder empty. :cry:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

SynthOrange posted:

gently caress my life. I'm just going to cobble this together into a playable state and call it done I hope.

quote:

Boom Library has graciously provided a prize pack, free sounds, and a 15% discount code from their site for everyone involved in the jam.

Free SFX: http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibr...e_sfx_278mb.zip

Discount Code: SAGameDev-15

http://www.bfxr.net/

Also this torrent miiight still be active?
http://sonniss.com/GameAudioGDC.torrent
It's a legit 10GB pack of sounds released by Sonniss.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

BossRighteous posted:

it uses degrees for Trig functions instead of radians
This is absolutely disgusting, but what's even more disgusting in my opinion is that Game Maker uses radians for trig functions but degrees for declaring what direction something is facing, and there's no way that I can tell to change it

JossiRossi posted:

Also this torrent miiight still be active?
http://sonniss.com/GameAudioGDC.torrent
It's a legit 10GB pack of sounds released by Sonniss.
nicking that, still seems to work

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

nicking that, still seems to work

Been seeding that since March, glad it's still finding new homes.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Been seeding that since March, glad it's still finding new homes.

You are doing God's work. :)

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Wait, what sort of game were we making again?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SynthOrange posted:

Sorry! Sending you files tonight! Stuff happened!

Edit: :( is it too late?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 29, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So as it turns out, six characters for a fighting game to be made in one month by an artist who has literally never made a sprite before is kiiiiiiinda ambitious.

I have one more character to finish animations for for my game and then various other assets. Reviewing the sprites I have, there's a rather clear difference in quality of animation and shading between the earlier ones I did and the ones I'm finishing now but there's no time to unify them, so I hope everyone enjoys the progression they see from the first sprites I ever did in my life and the sprites I made one month later after doing nothing but make sprites all day and night.

Mad props to the very kind people in the pixel art megathread who set me on the path of righteousness.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry! Sending you files tonight! Stuff happened!

Edit: :( is it too late?

Nah it's fine, looks like we've both had stuff happen! If you cant get stuff done just mark it on the shopping list, I'm the last person to judge :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SynthOrange posted:

Nah it's fine, looks like we've both had stuff happen! If you cant get stuff done just mark it on the shopping list, I'm the last person to judge :v:

I skyped you! SFX ARE DONE!

Sorry about the music, though :( Honestly, it should just be the Benny Hill theme, all the way through. I don't think I could beat that, really.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
SFX set, music picked out and set for gameplay, collisions work, animations work, no major bugs, gameplay is decently balanced to not be too easy or impossible, I've just gotta wrap up this start screen and give it some music, , put in a game over / victory screen, and then put in a nice little splash screen and I should be all set.

It's pretty remarkable how much more polished and enjoyable my game feels this year compared to last. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Xibanya posted:

I hope everyone enjoys the progression they see from the first sprites I ever did in my life and the sprites I made one month later after doing nothing but make sprites all day and night.

This is the entire purpose of game jams in my mind.

• Locked thread