Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

There's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't enter the G1

Sorry, this is NJPW, not DDT. Humans only plz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAn4xWV5jJE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MGKA vs Ishii should be good

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

MGKA vs Ishii should be good

It was! Check it out guys, it's proof that the "Ishii match" still works, he and Makabe just don't mesh well.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

It was! Check it out guys, it's proof that the "Ishii match" still works, he and Makabe just don't mesh well.

What happened ? it looked like they were going home then My thing started buffering and now Kojima is in the ring

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just woke up all i see is a njpw world splash page?

e: i forgot to log in lol

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 28, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RacistGuidingLight posted:

What happened ? it looked like they were going home then My thing started buffering and now Kojima is in the ring

Ishii won clean with a brainbuster. Bunch of people on twitter were complaining about stuttering as well, tho unlike Sunday's show this one's worked great for me,

minoru suzuki posted:

http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_live_22_6

Here's the link. Dumb question I know, but are you sure you're logged in? That happened to me once.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

minoru suzuki posted:

It's on. You probably have to log in again

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
when's okada/ishii?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

when's okada/ishii?

main event of August 7th show

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Next show is tomorrow at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST yet again. Like most of these shows there's two matches that should be great on paper.

Wednesday July 28th from Fukuoka Convention Center

Mascara Dorada and Tiger Mask vs Jay White and David Finlay
Nagata, Kojima, Taguchi, and Komatsu vs Bullet Club (MGKA, Yujiro, Tama, Cody)
Honma, Elgin, and Captain vs CHAOS (Nakamura, Ishii, and YOSHI) (doubt Shinsuke will return for this but going off official listing)
Hirooki Goto and Jushin Liger vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Gedo)
G1 Climax Block A Match:Toru Yano vs Doc Gallows
G1 Climax Block A Match:Togi Makabe vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
G1 Climax Block A Match:Katsuyori Shibata vs Kota Ibushi
G1 Climax Block A Match:Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale
G1 Climax Block A Match:Tetsuya Naito vs AJ Styles

Wonder if the crowd's gonna cheer for Styles in that main?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

huge win for mike elgin

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

huge win for mike elgin

In light of said massive victory putting Shinsuke in a massive hole even if he returns Saturday, it's gonna be interesting to see how they do this. I think it'd make sense for Okada to sweep his block and make the Finals on a huge winning streak before losing to Tanahashi. That would show that Tana's still in his head before Okada finally beats him in the Dome at WK10.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Thauros posted:

In light of said massive victory putting Shinsuke in a massive hole even if he returns Saturday, it's gonna be interesting to see how they do this. I think it'd make sense for Okada to sweep his block and make the Finals on a huge winning streak before losing to Tanahashi. That would show that Tana's still in his head before Okada finally beats him in the Dome at WK10.

Would you really blow the tiebreaker (3-3-1 both sides) and Okada/Tanahashi 8 on an already sold out Sumo Hall?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Today I realised that the non-commentary shows have one real downside: You can clearly hear the wrestlers in the ring, and that unfortunately includes Honma. Seriously, when he's trying to catch his breath in between moves he sounds possessed. Yes I know, destroyed vocal cords from hardcore wrestling, but man, he is painful to hear.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Would you really blow the tiebreaker (3-3-1 both sides) and Okada/Tanahashi 8 on an already sold out Sumo Hall?

That's an excellent point, I forgot they're currently tied. You're gonna have to job Okada more now to have Shinsuke win though, and that's IF he's able to return Saturday.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Thauros posted:

That's an excellent point, I forgot they're currently tied. You're gonna have to job Okada more now to have Shinsuke win though, and that's IF he's able to return Saturday.

If Nakamura doesn't return, I'd do Anderson and Ishii as the top two because any two of Ibushi/Styles/Tanahashi can beat those two (or lose to them) with little issue. Okada could lose 2-3 times and get his wins back at any 2-3 of the finals/Destruction/KOPW/Power Struggle.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Germansimp posted:

Today I realised that the non-commentary shows have one real downside: You can clearly hear the wrestlers in the ring, and that unfortunately includes Honma. Seriously, when he's trying to catch his breath in between moves he sounds possessed. Yes I know, destroyed vocal cords from hardcore wrestling, but man, he is painful to hear.

he sounds badass as hell actually

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

If Nakamura doesn't return, I'd do Anderson and Ishii as the top two because any two of Ibushi/Styles/Tanahashi can beat those two (or lose to them) with little issue. Okada could lose 2-3 times and get his wins back at any 2-3 of the finals/Destruction/KOPW/Power Struggle.

This is true and follows the MO of many G1s, I just feel it's best to protect your champ as well as possible especially in this case when he just had his huge win against the #1 heel after being in a bit of a tailspin during the spring.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Germansimp posted:

On the other hand, you get to hear AJ Styles lecture Tanahashi on how Tama Tonga is going to kick his rear end.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Shibata/Makabe was a pleasant flashback to the bomb-throwing sprints that were many of last year's G1's best matches. I think the matches getting more time this year has on average been worse for match quality. There's no good reason for matches like Goto/Yujiro to be going over ten minutes, either in or out of kayfabe.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

there is no incentive to go out of your way to watch 3-4 hours of wrestling every other day when half the card has no implications on the tournament and half of the scheduled singles matches aren't so great on paper either.

2013 G1 had multiple shows of the year a couple days in, 2014 had lots of surprises and well rounded shows and this year has had maybe 2-3 truly good matches of note so far. I hope the August stretch is as good as it looks.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
I always watch the undercard matches with the young lions because all of them are really good. That does mean seeing a lot more lovely Ryusuke Tamagotchi than I'd like tho

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Spermgod posted:

I always watch the undercard matches with the young lions because all of them are really good. That does mean seeing a lot more lovely Ryusuke Tamagotchi than I'd like tho

If NJPW didn't also have to follow regulations wrt the use of entrance music I'd still wish for someone in charge to rib Taguchi by having him come out to 'rear end Man' instead of whatever region-blocked music he's currently using.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm kind of surprised how often they are letting Shibata win. They never do anything meaningful with him. I really like he could be a credible finalist, even if I know deep down he won't be.

Infact, I would book Ishii/Shibata. That match would be my kinda poo poo.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Another Person posted:

I'm kind of surprised how often they are letting Shibata win. They never do anything meaningful with him. I really like he could be a credible finalist, even if I know deep down he won't be.

Infact, I would book Ishii/Shibata. That match would be my kinda poo poo.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12xkql_katsuyori-shibata-vs-tomohiro-ishii-njpw-g1-climax-23-08-04-13_sport

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
he still knows...

Recommend this match to any new fan tia

cams
Mar 28, 2003

shibata is currently my favorite wrestler to watch. i think okada and nakamura are "better" in the sense that they are so good at everything, but shibata is 100% unique. there hasn't been a singles match he's done that i didn't thoroughly enjoy. obviously some are better than others but i love everything about how he puts on matches. i'm still bummed out he and goto didn't get a longer tag title run and i hope he gets a real main event feud soon.

or, they could just do shibata vs goto every other event because i love, love, LOVE their "we are best friends who love to punch each other sometimes" thing. i don't remember which show it was, but that one event that took place at that partly outdoor stadium where it was POURING rain on some of the seats, they had that match where they went at each other like mad the entire time, then at the end they carried each other out. one of my favorite things in wrestling ever.

shibata and goto, fighting bros

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shibata is the only decent wrestler because his stuff looks legit (MiSu not withstanding).

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I really like Shibata, but for my taste him and Goto bring out the absolute worst in each other.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

honma is actually the best wrestler because he's the most sympathetic babyface in japan and possibly the world

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Recommend this match to any new fan tia

watching this match live was one of my favorite surprises ever

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what if elgin was booked to beat shinsuke clean as his big make-good and shinsuke pillman'd the booking

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd be happy

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shibata is the best guy in the company for a relatively short midcard G1 match imo.

Spermgod posted:

I really like Shibata, but for my taste him and Goto bring out the absolute worst in each other.

i never want to see that match again but the first two were great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is Karl Andersons music new? Or do you just never hear it cause he is always in tags

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Is Karl Andersons music new? Or do you just never hear it cause he is always in tags

no it's new, his last one had a much beloved intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-vLcF0C-Bc

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Imagine Nakamura missing out on the rest of the G1, but only coming back so that Honma doesn't get a win this year.

hahahaha what the gently caress yujiro beat nagata?! he's like the only guy besides Honma and Elgin to have 0 points.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Nakamura just RT/tweeted that he is off the show tonight too and is very sorry to everyone. Odds are he'll be out of the G1 entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

:smith: godspeed nakamura

• Locked thread