Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

The Sprint Cup title is now meaningless so who really cares. As a Harvick fan I value his 2010 season (and this season) more than I value his title winning season.

I'm sure that he agrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jimmie Johnson Eternal Champion of Our Hearts

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

VikingSkull posted:

So Kyle won 4 of the last 5, who was the last driver to do that? I say it's Jimmie Johnson in 07 when he won 4 straight, but people on Facebook are torn between either Petty's 10 straight (13 straight in one dudes head) or Pearson when he won 4 of 5 5 separate times in '73, which is odd since he only ran 18 races in 73

inbreeding is a real problem

Yeah I saw that too. Then again it was NASCAR pre 72 so I don't know if they're doing that. In that span Gordon did it and hell I think NBC even showed guys doing that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's probably 8 guys that have won 4 of 5 in the last 35 years, it's not really a mind-bending stat

e- JJ, Kyle, Gant and Gordon have, and off the top of my head I wanna say DW, Earnhardt and Elliot did too

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Pocono must be coming up, we passed the Air Titans, 7-8 souvenir trailers and 43 motorhomes towing pickups with golf carts in their beds going east on I-80.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
All I know is I'm not long for the pre-72 world

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Just sit back, shut up and enjoy the photos without any commentary.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
eh, I probably should but it's too much fun pointing out that Petty has weak stats when you dig into them

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/13312646/world-series-motorsport

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Alain Post posted:

The Sprint Cup title is now meaningless so who really cares. As a Harvick fan I value his 2010 season (and this season) more than I value his title winning season.

Why?

Care to explain how the arbitrary point system that ran straight through the season was more meaningful than a clear point per position, wins auto entry, title format?

The only things wrong with the current system is 16 entries (too many) and the cuts. Drop it back to 10 and run for points over the final 10 races.

VikingSkull posted:

There's probably 8 guys that have won 4 of 5 in the last 35 years, it's not really a mind-bending stat

e- JJ, Kyle, Gant and Gordon have, and off the top of my head I wanna say DW, Earnhardt and Elliot did too

Earnhardt was the first driver in the modern era to win 4 in a row. Or at least thats the story Darrel keeps telling.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Genocide Tendency posted:

Earnhardt was the first driver in the modern era to win 4 in a row. Or at least thats the story Darrel keeps telling.

Which is hilarious, because Cale did it in '76 and DW himself did it in '81

The guy I forgot to make it 8 was Mark Martin, I forgot he won 4 straight.

Also, actually read that link I posted above and it's an amazing idea, which of course will never happen

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

1.) Swap Indy's and Chicagoland's dates around so IMS is the first "Chase" race.
2.) Bring back XFS, and Trucks to IRP.

Really not all that hard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Why?

Care to explain how the arbitrary point system that ran straight through the season was more meaningful than a clear point per position, wins auto entry, title format?

The only things wrong with the current system is 16 entries (too many) and the cuts. Drop it back to 10 and run for points over the final 10 races.

They are both arbitrary systems, true. One arbitrary system was about measuring performance over an entire season, however, and the other system is about seeing who has the fewest DNFs in the last 10 races of a year. One of these makes a lot more sense for awarding a title that is supposedly for the best driver of the year.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Kasey Kahne:

Overrated or not? Asking for a friend.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Kasey Kahne:

Well compared what he was supposed to be yes. What he is now no one is making him seem like he is in the upper echelon of drivers. Doesn't help his teammates kick his rear end week in and week out and all have much more success than he does.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kasey Kahne: Less wins than Jeff Burton

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Kasey Kahne: Less wins than Jeff Burton, Greg Biffle, Brad Keselowski, Ryan Newman and Kurt Busch.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Don't forget Richard Petty or Pearson

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Add Stadium Super Trucks on the infield road course and I'm down.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kasey Kahne:

People with more wins than Kasey Kahne (17) *adjusts glasses*, let's see:

Harry Gant
Geoffrey Bodine
Neil Bonnett
Davey Allison
Both of the Labontes
Ricky Rudd
Carl Edwards
Fireball Roberts
Benny Parsons
Kyle Busch
Mark Martin
Dale Jarrett
Bill Elliott
Buck Baker

and oh yes, Greg loving Biffle

Kasey Kahne is currently tied at 47th on the all time wins list with Brad K, Ryan Newman, Marvin Paunch, and Curtis Turner.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

30 races in '74

gently caress

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Bored numbers stuff since we're on it.

Harvick is present point leader with a lucky 777 points

Kurt Busch is 8th in points having missed 3 races and is at 612

Kyle Busch in 32nd has 294 points in 9 races.

If they had done all races and kept the same average point/race, Harvick would still be in first with 57 points over Kurt Busch, Kyle would be in 6th 124 points back.

Harvick is averaging a 6.6 place finish this year. Kurt is averaging nearly 3 places back at 9.1

Whether others who are already in the chase are trying or not, Harvick is on an absolute tear and has finished in top 10 all but twice (Bristol, Michigan) and is 14 of 20 on being in the top 5. He's also led nearly twice as many laps as anyone else (Kurt being 2nd). Combine those two, and they've led over 1/3rd of all laps this year.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 28, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Kasey Kahne:

He's Casey Mears with slightly better luck.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Slickdrac posted:

Whether others who are already in the chase are trying or not, Harvick is on an absolute tear and has finished in top 10 all but twice (Bristol, Michigan) and is 14 of 20 on being in the top 5. He's also led nearly twice as many laps as anyone else (Kurt being 2nd). Combine those two, and they've led over 1/3rd of all laps this year.

In those two races he finished outside the top 10, he led the most laps. Dude is having an unreal season.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Muddy Burphy posted:

He's Casey Mears with slightly better luck.

Casey Mears had a 6 win season too? Dang, sorry I missed that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hes Casey Atwood with a job

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Kasey is useless unless his car starts off dominant.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He's Buckshot Jones with good equipment.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Muddy Burphy posted:

As a fan of his I will agree that is usually the case. His rookie year made me a fan of his, something like 5 2nd place finishes and a couple of them were those really great side by side win by a nose finishes and I had high hopes for him. Aside from that 6 win season he's been kind of underwhelming especially if you look at him in terms of being a championship contender but I still get excited when he has the shot at the win.

Plus we all know the 4th car at Hendrick is the one left out, it always has been. Not saying he'd be doing better at Roush or anything but he is probably 4th in line over there.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Muddy Burphy posted:

I blame Tommy Baldwin for that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I blame Tommy Baldwin for that.

Don't you dare speak ill of the Baldwin clan

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Don't you dare speak ill of the Baldwin clan
I like the guy, but his idea of setting up a car was loading up the right front, bring the tires off the car, then standing around with his palms in the air when the safety crew was peeling the car off the outside wall.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that was probably a poo poo hot setup at Islip

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

that was probably a poo poo hot setup at Islip

It was pretty hot at loudon too :laugh:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alain Post posted:

They are both arbitrary systems, true. One arbitrary system was about measuring performance over an entire season, however, and the other system is about seeing who has the fewest DNFs in the last 10 races of a year. One of these makes a lot more sense for awarding a title that is supposedly for the best driver of the year.

Reminder that Homestead determines the championship.

A driver can win 35 races and lose the championship by finishing second at Homestead.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 29, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The old systems determined a champion based on performance over some period of time.

The current system is the race-off from Cars.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

IMDB posted:

Brad Keselowski is an actor, known for Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (2015), Toyota/Save Mart 350 (2015) and ToyotaCare 250 (2013).

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Guess that tells you how scripted the races are...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jayski says Rob Kauffman's about to buy Felix Sabates' share in Ganassi and take Clint Bowyer there with him next year.

Also, multiple reports have Danica returning to Stewart-Haas next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Yea to the Bowyer news, boo to the Kauffman and Patrick news.

• Locked thread