Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

You could just quickly scroll through it and keep an eye out for big blue underlined hyperlinks.

Good call. Sometimes people don't include links to stories though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I don't read the OP I just post about buyrates on every page. Let's all do that. How about buyrates?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad the Network numbers are good because the Network is by far the best thing about WWE and I believe the business model itself should be rewarded even if the product is currently often unsatisfactory, come at me bros.

Also I'm 100% serious I will write recaps now though one Monday a month it might take me longer because I'm at a meeting during the beginning of Raw. You can just paste my serious recap under the jokey one if you wanna do that, I just wanna be helpful and make sure everybody's happy because WWE isn't gonna do that for us.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm glad the Network numbers are good because the Network is by far the best thing about WWE and I believe the business model itself should be rewarded even if the product is currently often unsatisfactory, come at me bros.

The Network is really really cool and is what actually got me to watch WWE because I loving haaaaaaaaate PPV models. My only problem with it is the possibility that lower revenue from it compared to PPVs will eat into wrestlers' paychecks :smith:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sure.

Apparently 10% of the network subscriber base never uses the network. So WWE is essentially getting ~$1 million a month free from these people.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Hi I haven't watched WWE since MITB but these OPs are absolutely horrid anyway bye

the people who put effort into them stopped having a reason to care about wwe and put effort into the ops

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

The Network is really really cool and is what actually got me to watch WWE because I loving haaaaaaaaate PPV models. My only problem with it is the possibility that lower revenue from it compared to PPVs will eat into wrestlers' paychecks :smith:

That's definitely the biggest downside. I try not to think on it too much because I prefer not to feel like a piece of poo poo but yeah.

minoru suzuki posted:

the people who put effort into them stopped having a reason to care about wwe and put effort into the ops

I'm going to fix it because I am:

A) A masochist
B) Dumb
C) A swell guy
D) All of the above

So we can stop talking about that now unless anyone has objections to me doing it. I'll PM my recaps to the OP maker and they can handle the rest.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 30, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's definitely the biggest downside. I try not to think on it too much because I prefer not to feel like a piece of poo poo but yeah.

you shouldn't feel like a piece of poo poo because wwe chooses to pay their wrestlers like garbage

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

minoru suzuki posted:

you shouldn't feel like a piece of poo poo because wwe chooses to pay their wrestlers like garbage

Yes but I am supporting the company that does that with my money.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes but I am supporting the company that does that with my money.

Boycotting things is more often than not the least effective way of enacting change so don't worry about supporting a company's bad business practices if you enjoy their product.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Doo-Wop Duodenum's ops are good and are the ones WWE deserves.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Boycotting things is more often than not the least effective way of enacting change so don't worry about supporting a company's bad business practices if you enjoy their product.

Well I certainly haven't been enjoying it as much lately as is clear, but between the archived stuff, NXT, specials/documentaries, occasionally fun original shows, and usually at least one good to great PPV match booking aside every month, that's sure as poo poo worth :10bux:.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

So you're saying my effort is more than they deserve? That's kind of you but I'm gonna do it anyway just so there's something for everyone in the OPs. Jokey jokes and legitimate informative recaps.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The Network is worth it just for Tough Talk, this week I got to see Paige scream at the Miz for 10 minutes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bradzilla posted:

Sure.

Apparently 10% of the network subscriber base never uses the network. So WWE is essentially getting ~$1 million a month free from these people.

I would assume most of these are people who got it out of curiosity and they get auto-renewed and just forgot about it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well I certainly haven't been enjoying it as much lately as is clear, but between the archived stuff, NXT, specials/documentaries, occasionally fun original shows, and usually at least one good to great PPV match booking aside every month, that's sure as poo poo worth :10bux:.

What are some of the good specials/documentaries that are available on the Network? I haven't seen anything offered in that category besides the Monday Night War stuff.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kane = Buys

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

What are some of the good specials/documentaries that are available on the Network? I haven't seen anything offered in that category besides the Monday Night War stuff.

The Beyond The Ring header is where most of them are. It's absolutely chock full of (I believe) essentially DVD rips from the sets they release, usually a few months after the release. I think Paul Heyman's is up there and it is an absolute must watch. There's ones on Edge, Jericho, Rock, Austin, more general stuff like themed specials, maybe even Punk's one, I'm not sure. There's honestly a shitload.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

triplexpac posted:

The Network is worth it just for Tough Talk, this week I got to see Paige scream at the Miz for 10 minutes

Except they upload every Tough Talk onto YouTube for...reasons?

I'm bummed that Swerved was cancelled because I thought it was funny. :smith:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The Beyond The Ring header is where most of them are. It's absolutely chock full of (I believe) essentially DVD rips from the sets they release, usually a few months after the release. I think Paul Heyman's is up there and it is an absolute must watch. There's ones on Edge, Jericho, Rock, Austin, more general stuff like themed specials, maybe even Punk's one, I'm not sure. There's honestly a shitload.

That's p. cool. I always wanted to see CM Punk's doc but physical media is beneath me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

That's p. cool. I always wanted to see CM Punk's doc but physical media is beneath me.

I just checked, Punk's is there.

Others:

-History of the WHC
-One on Bret
-More than one on Batista, Rey, and basically HHH (Thy Kingdom Come was actually pretty good IMO)
-A lot of countdown-y docs like shocking moments, great finishers, etc.
-nWo
-The Music of WWE (That one was kinda fun)
-One on Orton
-One on Bryan
Lots of others, too

Then if you go into "First Looks" there's a bunch of partial versions (like 30 minute excerpts from newer ones). The one on The Shield is a MUST watch if you're a fan of those guys. It's about the beginning through the leadup to last year's Summerslam where Rollins and Ambrose were having the blood feud lumberjack match and Reigns was facing Orton.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

keevo posted:

I'm bummed that Swerved was cancelled because I thought it was funny. :smith:

I really really want wrestlers working random jobs. Fandango and Slater working at a coffee shop was the funniest thing I've seen in forever.

NO DOGS ALLOWED

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Then if you go into "First Looks" there's a bunch of partial versions (like 30 minute excerpts from newer ones). The one on The Shield is a MUST watch if you're a fan of those guys. It's about the beginning through the leadup to last year's Summerslam where Rollins and Ambrose were having the blood feud lumberjack match and Reigns was facing Orton.

The Destruction of the Shield doc was originally a Network special and it's still available in the Original Specials section as Journey to Summerslam.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

NO DOGS ALLOWED

Ignore him, everyone. Dogs are ok.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Horrible Taste posted:

The Destruction of the Shield doc was originally a Network special and it's still available in the Original Specials section as Journey to Summerslam.

Oh, well there's another one on The Shield in First Looks, wonder how different it is?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh, well there's another one on The Shield in First Looks, wonder how different it is?

It's probably a situation like the DBry one where Just Say Yes Yes Yes was just t he Road To Wrestlemania doc but with like five minutes of extraneous footage and some matches.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Blasmeister posted:

Basically give a show to any wrestlers who don't have a storyline. They'll be more over doing that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
edit: nvm

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

they're actually insanely lame, but yeah

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Blasmeister posted:

NO DOGS

*walks out wearing underwear and an apron*

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The doc on the DVD is about 10 minutes longer than the original special but I don't know if any of it is featured in the First Look preview.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

oldpainless posted:

My main complaint with the OPs is that they're too wordy. Its like, if I wanted to read a bunch of words I'd open a book ya know.

Maybe pictures with a few words overlaid on them making a succinct point would work better.

but how many weeks has Randy Orton not had pants on?

I must know, the OP use to have the scoops on that

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ban the OP, imo

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave's writing about Daniel Bryan's situation in the latest Observer, and this made me laugh:

quote:

But if he is determined that he will wrestle again, then he is going to do so. If he was released, he would be able to make a good living as a pro wrestler, as he would likely get a deal with New Japan and be able to charge a high price for indie dates. While he wouldn’t earn what he made in WWE, he could very reasonably clear $500,000 or more a year without WWE if he hustled at merchandising, and with far less road expenses because on the indie scene his transportation and hotels will be paid for. It’s a harder life being your own booking agent, but it would be relatively easy for him, given he lived that life and already knows the key people.

Top guys on the indies get better travel deals than WWE guys? Amazing. Must have something to do with WWE wanting to keep them as "independant contractors"

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Dave's writing about Daniel Bryan's situation in the latest Observer, and this made me laugh:

Top guys on the indies get better travel deals than WWE guys? Amazing. Must have something to do with WWE wanting to keep them as "independant contractors"

It's probably a lot easier on the books to pay people more and let them worry about their own expenses.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A business could probably write off a lot of that stuff with a good accountant. It's amazing anyone works for them.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Literally all I care about is the Randy Orton no-pants meter, but I forgot I cared until someone mentioned it.

I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD
THEY COUNCIL ME
THEY SAY 'NO PANTS'

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think all fans have dreams of man if I was good at wrestling maybe I could be in the WWE and you think up characters and angles. But man, as an adult thinking about that industry it just seems like the only people in it should be the ones who love it. Otherwise, why on Earth would you want to join a business where you're expected to put your physical health on the line constantly, you don't get paid nearly as much as other pro athletes, and you don't get the financial security that other jobs have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Glad to see that WWE is doing good and not dying. WWE is FTW.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

triplexpac posted:

It makes sense when an indie show needs a big attraction or two. Those guys are going to sell tickets that will make up for the performers that aren't quite the draw. So the show needs the star more than the star needs the show.

WWE is pretty much in the mentality that you need them to be successful since I'm pretty sure that Vince firmly believes that they are the only way you can really make a living from the sport, so pay for your own travel expenses you chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Apparently in 2002 they tried to have an openly gay character who wasn't a stereotype and was actually an awesome bad rear end

The character would have been Brock

It fell apart and they wound up doing the complete opposite of that (Billy and Chuck :smith:)

• Locked thread