Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Max Hammer posted:

This right here. There hasn't been a single episode thus far that I thought was 'meh'. They have all been fantastic, even with people tearing into the dream sequence.

Speaking of the dream sequence, was there anything in it that foreshadowed the girlfriend's death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

savinhill posted:

Speaking of the dream sequence, was there anything in it that foreshadowed the girlfriend's death?

I don't remember Shayla being in the dream, just a lot of Angela. Maybe that alone is a bit of foreshadowing, telling you that Shayla is not a lasting thing, but either way I don't think she was present in the dream.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
This is a really great show, and I can't believe that some people are spending so much energy worrying about if they're going to stick the landing when watching them fly through the air is so drat gorgeous.

Wait a minute, what am I saying. Of course I can believe it.

My biggest hope is that Ollie comes back in some way because he is the exact right "guy who is a jerk through being nice" person that is almost never on TV but is always lurking in the shadows of everyone's life. Mr. Robot might not be real, but Ollie sure is!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I just realized I have a complaint to make:

How does a :spergin: like Wellick mistake a Patek for a Vacheron? Come on! Immersion ruined.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I couldn't tell the two brunettes apart anyhow so I guess I didn't mind killing one of them off.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

The show is really quite excellent. I love that they are sticking with the same cinematic style and color timing between episodes. They really use the full space of the 16:9 frame, which modern TV shows still shy away from sometimes. For example, there is a deliberately disconcerting layout for many character conversation edits. It still follows the 180 degree rule, but places the actors' faces at non-traditional locations in the frame. At first it bugged me, appearing as if someone had bumped the camera right before rolling, but now I really dig it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Max Hammer posted:

I don't remember Shayla being in the dream, just a lot of Angela. Maybe that alone is a bit of foreshadowing, telling you that Shayla is not a lasting thing, but either way I don't think she was present in the dream.

Oh, I just remembered, part of the dream did have him shooting dope and making out with that girl, followed by those dudes busting into the room and killing the girl, which could be a parrallel to Shayla's whole storyline with Elliot.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The entirety of the scene after Elliot opened the trunk is some of the most incredible goddamn AAA-tier acting I have seen on television. Rami Malek deserves an award for that scene alone.

EDIT: Also, this is a pretty cool article. Sam Esmail talks about the films and filmmakers that have influenced his vision for the show. If you were wondering whether or not the guy knows his poo poo: he does.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 30, 2015

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

gret posted:

I couldn't tell the two brunettes apart anyhow so I guess I didn't mind killing one of them off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sophia posted:

This is a really great show, and I can't believe that some people are spending so much energy worrying about if they're going to stick the landing when watching them fly through the air is so drat gorgeous.

Wait a minute, what am I saying. Of course I can believe it.

My biggest hope is that Ollie comes back in some way because he is the exact right "guy who is a jerk through being nice" person that is almost never on TV but is always lurking in the shadows of everyone's life. Mr. Robot might not be real, but Ollie sure is!

I love a lot of things about this show, but I can't lie, I love that it brought you out of your highly reasonable self-imposed exile, if only for a moment. :)

God drat that was intense.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I kind of wish they didn't show Shayla, though. Leave it to the grotesqueries of imagination

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well you did almost immediately see the body in the trunk when he looked at it, you could see her leg.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I wouldn't be surprised if they only showed her (to be fair even then it was only for a second) as a concession to the audience because otherwise you know there would be dumb theories about what Elliot saw and whether or not Shayla was actually dead etc etc. They showed as much as they needed to right at the start of the scene, then focused on Elliot for a minute or two, and then quickly showed the body to confirm that yes she's dead. I think all things considered it was very well done.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I really loved how they did the reveal. The initial shot of her body is just short enough that it gives you a sliver of hope that she's just unconscious, followed by a slow and gradual realization that she's really dead, and ending with the gut-punching reveal of her slit throat.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Shayla had a history of being roofied by Vera so she could have just been taking a nap in the trunk the whole time

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

did they explain how Mr Robot even got into the apartment lobby when Angela couldn't even get past the buzzer?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

violetdragon posted:

Shayla was Elliot's drug dealer.

I'm referring to her character (as an archetype) rather than her actions.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ape Gone Insane posted:

did they explain how Mr Robot even got into the apartment lobby when Angela couldn't even get past the buzzer?

Did you miss the scene showing that Mr. Robot is squatting in the basement with his bong collection?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ape Gone Insane posted:

It's not exactly unthinkable to assume that he can get past an electronically locked door, or would know about a backdoor or something.

Also he's a ghost

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

VDay posted:

Also he's a ghost

Ghost Dad reboot looking good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trabant posted:

Ghost Dad reboot looking good.

Despite the name, he wasn't a ghost in that.

For a point in the "Mr. Robot isn't real" camp, the conversation in the stairwell had a rather pointed line where he told Elliott to face the truth.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

FCC Complaints

http://www.scribd.com/doc/273076997/FCC-Complaints-for-Mr-Robot

quote:

My family does not think that the TV show Mr. Robot should be on TV with all the graphic drug scenes and gay sex. We were quite shocked with the latest episode showing the temp CTO butt F'ing a subordinate employee. The dialog afterwards was just as bad as if the CTO would have said "Take a shower and clean up the poo poo " I was disgusting.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

People really get riled over buttsex apparently.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Skex posted:

And inauthentic post anal dialogue

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

NOT TO MENTION criminal hacking!

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
"My 11 year old son was watching the show"

Apparently the parent didn't know they could say "Ok, not appropriate, hit the road kid!" and control what their own child watches on TV.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I watch from Australia so I dont know when it airs in The States, but I would have to imagine that the media classification probably advises its not a show for anyone under 15 and airs at a suitable time.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Laserface posted:

I watch from Australia so I dont know when it airs in The States, but I would have to imagine that the media classification probably advises its not a show for anyone under 15 and airs at a suitable time.

It airs at 10 pm here and has a TV-14 rating, so yeah, on you, parent of 11-year-old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first episode had Shayla naked, which seems like a good indicator that this might not be appropriate for preteens.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's going to be hilarious if Mr. Robot amd Elliot are split personalities and FSociety just goes along with it because they like em both.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Skex posted:

Also, what does the FCC care about when the show is on basic cable? Any language censoring is voluntary.

Or did I miss the joke?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Mr. Robot is a genius hacker*

*and possibly an imaginary ghost friend.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Solkanar512 posted:

Also, what does the FCC care about when the show is on basic cable? Any language censoring is voluntary.

Or did I miss the joke?

It's not so much that they care, it's more that those are the complaints that people send them. The show's not going to get fined or anything unless they show something legitimately disturbing, but being able to see all the dumb complaints that concerned mothers and general idiots send in is great.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

These things should be publicly available and include a comment section for each submission and just maybe we could get some use out of the people who post comments on YouTube.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

These things should be publicly available and include a comment section for each submission and just maybe we could get some use out of the people who post comments on YouTube.

Pretty much. Name and shame these dip shits who blame cable for letting their kid watch a show they shouldn't.

Solkanar512 posted:

Or did I miss the joke?

I don't think they care they just take the complaints. And ya, it's the advertisers that are keeping the cable tv shows from going full bore with swearing I think. "If you cuss we won't pay to run ads on your tv show".

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Trabant posted:

I just realized I have a complaint to make:

How does a :spergin: like Wellick mistake a Patek for a Vacheron? Come on! Immersion ruined.

"Please make it stop."

"I'm afraid for my children."

:lol:

I do agree with one of the sodophobes that it should probably be rated TV-MA and not TV-14, but the first few episodes make it very clear that it's not appropriate for an 11 year-old.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wasn't aware that sentient TV's existed, and forced their owners to watch specific shows.

Strange times we live in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

violetdragon posted:

"Please make it stop."

"I'm afraid for my children."

:lol:

I do agree with one of the sodophobes that it should probably be rated TV-MA and not TV-14, but the first few episodes make it very clear that it's not appropriate for an 11 year-old.

I like the guy whose religious freedom was being put at risk. Because buttsex

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Gooble Rampling posted:

The show is really quite excellent. I love that they are sticking with the same cinematic style and color timing between episodes. They really use the full space of the 16:9 frame, which modern TV shows still shy away from sometimes. For example, there is a deliberately disconcerting layout for many character conversation edits. It still follows the 180 degree rule, but places the actors' faces at non-traditional locations in the frame. At first it bugged me, appearing as if someone had bumped the camera right before rolling, but now I really dig it.
Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grāce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
When I watched the first episode originally, after Elliot says "is it because all our heroes are counterfeit?", they showed a picture of Lance Armstrong followed by Tom Brady.

When I watched it yesterday with a friend of mine, who I believe had a version from Hulu, they showed a picture of Lance Armstrong followed by Bill Cosby and Mel Gibson.

I'm sure it's just some licensing thing or... something... but, that's really weird.

TELL ME YOU'RE SEEING THIS TOO

• Locked thread