Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Golden Goat posted:

Keep in mind if you do that he will appear and have a shitfit at you. It seems like he's searching regularly for videos of people playing his game.

:justpost: for gods shake this entire site was is founded on a grand tradition of mocking morons on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Let me clarify. If you're going to do this he will appear, so make sure you're tearing the game apart.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You guys need to tear this dude a new one. Just hearing him talk makes me want to shove him into a locker and steal his lunch money.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gammatron 64 posted:

You guys need to tear this dude a new one. Just hearing him talk makes me want to shove him into a locker and steal his lunch money.

I am looking forward to Page quoting this post.

Could this be a side-by-side playthrough of MME and dongs some other game to discuss how much worse it is in great detail? Preferably not a game with a good reputation. Maybe mega man wonderswan.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 30, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This thread just went from fun to magical. :suspense:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Discendo Vox posted:

Could this be a side-by-side playthrough of MME and dongs some other game to discuss how much worse it is in great detail? Preferably not a game with a good reputation. Maybe mega man wonderswan.

Sober Simon needs to comment on the good game and Drunk Simon needs to comment on the bad game. Preferably in drunken German.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Sober Simon needs to comment on the good game and Drunk Simon needs to comment on the bad game. Preferably in drunken German.

At this point, in my mind, there's no such thing as Sober Simon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I hope he pays the $10 to come defend his creation here.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Of course he will. He needs to make sure the unwashed masses can revel in the light of his all-encompassing wisdom and enlightenment. Also, how dare we possibly discuss his masterwork without a proper introduction to his wisdom?

edit: Period is not question mark.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dirk the Average posted:

Denkst der blede Saubreiß daad des vastüi? Is ja koa gscheids dableckn nachat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Drunken German is evidently largely a different language from actual German, according to Google.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Simon et al, please include a link to the thread in the description of the next video you upload.

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd actually prefer Sober Simon generally. Good analysis is good analysis, whether the game is bad or good. I don't agree with a number of Simon's views on mega man design, but when he's drunk I don't really get anything out of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Simply Simon posted:

It's everything I wanted and I have no idea what it means.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Surprise spikes!

What do I win?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Drunk Simon is best Simon.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Dabir posted:

Surprise spikes!

What do I win?

You win Surprise Spikes. Surprised?

Sadly, I am not surprised he's a Gater, or at the least a Gater supporter. The namesearching, the arguments that miss the point (Allows the argument to continue in the hope that he'll hit on the point that will "win" the argument), the choice in conspiracy laden videos... It's a pattern I've been seeing all too often this past nine, ten months, and I'm really starting to get tired of it.

And yes, defending Sniper Joes with chargeshot block as a good design choice is not a good hill to die on. Enemy and obstacle placement in this level seems designed for maximum tedium, and Brightman's Bigger Brother uses (pseudo)random AI/timing in a fangame of a game that has nearly always used randomness on the choice of attack, not the timing of said attack. Can't wait for the next videos.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

JamieTheD posted:

Sadly, I am not surprised he's a Gater, or at the least a Gater supporter.

I don't think any Mega Man fan, or at least any Mega Man fan that has played Battle Network 2, wouldn't be a Gater supporter. I mean have you used that thing? It's the best move in the game, possibly the series, excluding an event-only PA! :v:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

And yes, defending Sniper Joes with chargeshot block as a good design choice is not a good hill to die on. Enemy and obstacle placement in this level seems designed for maximum tedium...

Well, if you're fast enough and by just barely connecting the hitbox around his foot you can force feed Joe a charge shot, but it's pointless as it takes more than a few to take one down.

I don't get why you're even allowed to charge your shot other than the bigger hitbox. Almost every enemy can take a poo poo ton of damage.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 31, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think any Mega Man fan, or at least any Mega Man fan that has played Battle Network 2, wouldn't be a Gater supporter. I mean have you used that thing? It's the best move in the game, possibly the series, excluding an event-only PA! :v:
Much like its cult on the Internet, it sucks all the fun out of the fighting.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I was stone cold sober when typing that. Proper Bavarian requires language discipline :colbert:.

:beerpal:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I did it. Take that CS guy! :shepicide:

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 31, 2015

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Combat Lobster posted:

I did it. Take that CS guy! :shepicide:

As it turns out, these Sniper Joes don't actually react to charged shots specifically, they react to ALL shots.

Their blocking ability depends on a counter. Once the counter goes above a certain amount, the Joe will block the next shot.

However, you know how there is an animation for Sniper Joe's eye to look around? If he opts to NOT do that, it will set the timer and counter to false, meaning you will actually be able to hurt him the next time Sniper Joe fires.

:clegg:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Time to get Punk out of the way.

Megaman Eternal #6: The Megaman Humiliators
(Heavy Sigh, NGDBSS, Mateo360, RJWaters, and Blindcat)

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 31, 2015

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Are you completely sure that isn't playing at double speed? Too much of that looks unnaturally quick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Heavy Sigh posted:

(Heavy Sigh, NGDBSS, Mateo360, Robust Laser, and Blindcat)

I like to think that the censor bleep at the end there was Simon finally joining in on the call to call out something as being utter poo poo.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

maswastaken posted:

Are you completely sure that isn't playing at double speed? Too much of that looks unnaturally quick.

Don't interfere with Daniel Page's artistic vision

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that was a stage.
...Was it?

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

anilEhilated posted:

Well, that was a stage.
...Was it?

That was most certainly something. I half want to ask the creator, if he ever shows up to 'defend' his 'masterpiece', what his justification was for making each fight a one-shot, in terms of your chances. I mean, I suppose I can get the concept of wanting to reward skill with bonuses.....but for gently caress's sake, when your weapons suck even half as bad as the ones do in this, you shouldn't lock the good weapons behind something that depends on your poo poo-as-gently caress programming being merciful enough to allow someone to fight though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I like to think that the censor bleep at the end there was Simon finally joining in on the call to call out something as being utter poo poo.
Sorry to crush your hopes, but I realized after the fact that I was giving a bit of a spoiler and voluntarily bleeped it myself with Audacity. (The Audacity project file itself was wiped out from a faulty hard drive, but I dug up the MP3 on my Dropbox just to check.)

As to how I knew about the spoiler and about the weapons often being poo poo, Heavy Sigh had shown off some of the Wily stages on a prior stream and I was struck by how obnoxiously trial-and-error they were.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

NGDBSS posted:

Sorry to crush your hopes, but I realized after the fact that I was giving a bit of a spoiler and voluntarily bleeped it myself with Audacity. (The Audacity project file itself was wiped out from a faulty hard drive, but I dug up the MP3 on my Dropbox just to check.)

As to how I knew about the spoiler and about the weapons often being poo poo, Heavy Sigh had shown off some of the Wily stages on a prior stream and I was struck by how obnoxiously trial-and-error they were.

Shut up your facts don't match my headcanon :colbert:

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I don't know that this game is worth the effort it takes to not spoil the stuff that happens in it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Spoilers Man sounds like a car themed robot master.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd just like to add that I appreciated the Punk's Not Dead?! joke.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

I'd just like to add that I appreciated the Punk's Not Dead?! joke.

I liked the Sex Pistol one.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

So I was shooting some b-roll of MME, and I think I'm actually having fun playing this game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Some of you may remember that I actually tried making a fangame many years ago. So this thread gave me the idea of loving around with Game Maker again.

I found this engine online:
http://blyka.legends-station.com/?page=examples

It's better and more accurate than what I was using before. In fact, I think both Mega Man Eternal and my old game were both based on the engine from the Hard Hat series from Damaged Games (which I can't find online anymore.) It was awful to work with. The guy who made it never commented his code, it didn't support gamepads, making levels was a total chore and you literally had to hardcode in co-ordinates for things... it sucked. It had metric fucktons of problems.

Blyka's is much, much better. However, it runs at 30 fps and didn't have gamepad support. I spent a very slow workday reworking all the values in the game so it operates at 60 fps and can use gamepads.

You can download what I did here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LH-6tIWgxxNFJRLVZESm9halk/view?usp=sharing
There's an .exe, but you can open the .gm81 file in Game Maker 8.1 to mess around with it. GM 8.1 is no longer supported by Yoyo games, but you all know how to get around that.

Also, I added sprites for Mega Man (the original just had Proto Man) and you can switch between them on the stage select by pressing Q and W.

I might have messed up the physics on a lot of enemies and Mega Man himself though, it wasn't as simple as doubling all the values in the game. Also, I tweaked his movement to the best of my ability, but I couldn't get it exactly right according to this website: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/Rockman/Data.html I.E. in MM3, his running speed is about 1.76, but if I don't round his horizontal speed to .5 all the collisions get messed up for some reason. So he moves at 1.5.

This guy also barely comments his code and some stuff was a pain to figure out, but he actually planned a lot of things ahead so this one will be much easier to work with.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I... :psyduck: can anyone explain how it could be put together for that warp to even happen?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not without a degree in computer science.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The warp seems to happen as an unexpected result of terrain ejection routines; if you look at tool-assisted speedruns of the Genesis Sonic games you'll see this abused liberally. The gist is that when something becomes embedded in terrain by accident, the system has to eject it outside the terrain or else all kinds of crazy poo poo happens. But of course there are good ways to process this (eject object and halt momentum orthogonal to terrain)...and then there's what MME did (eject it straight downwards just atop the next piece of flat terrain).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

(Heavy Sigh, NGDBSS, Mateo360, RJWaters, and Blindcat)

Just thought I should point out that the related videos included a teaser for a sequel.