Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Alterian posted:

You can move faster than the enemies. The challenge starts appearing by not necessarily being able to see where you're running and you could easily run into a wall or corner and get stuck or if you are pinging ahead of you so you can see you might accidentally aggro more enemies towards you. Some places the strategy can be to just gun it and go for it, but in other spots you have to sneak around a bit more or use your stone throw to aggro enemies away from you or get cops closer to thugs to chase them away.

Ah, cool, I didn't realize you could do that with the cops. I thought they were just a slower enemy variant with a larger line of sight or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

TheOrange posted:

Ah, cool, I didn't realize you could do that with the cops. I thought they were just a slower enemy variant with a larger line of sight or something.

The dialogue in the beginning hints at it but I'm sure most people just skip it. As a bit of an easter egg, you can move some of the crates if you hold the X key. We were going to use that in some of the puzzles, but never got around to really working that mechanic well. We kept having to tell ourselves its just a game jam and its ok.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Takanago posted:

http://www.awfuljams.com/games/slide-crash-bounce

I finished my bouncy car game: SLIDE, CRASH, BOUNCE.

Not long ago I was kind of freaking out, going "Oh my god, can I actually finish it in time? I haven't even done [game-critical-task]!" But I put a lot of work in this past week and the end result is something that I'm feeling really proud about. I had a pretty emotional moment, honestly, when I was putting together my credits and thinking "Yeah, I did this. It's Done."

Extra special thanks to everyone that encouraged me in this thread, you really gave me the motivation I needed. Last year, my game was among the lowest-scoring, so knowing that I was making something people really wanted to play helped me out a lot.

So go check it out.

This is pretty well put together, and also really loving hard for me.

Tann posted:

Great job dude! Funny and fun :)

I think I got a pretty good score here too-

:worship: My best in like a half hour was 3.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Slam Fighter 2 has been submitted and is available for Windows 64 and Windows 32.
Eventually I might be able to figure out how to make a MacOSX port.

This game is Windows-only and requires XNA 4.0 runtime to be installed.

Trance out to a fantastic electronica soundtrack from Screaming Color while incinerating a colorful cast of foes with devastating fully-voiced put-downs. Supports two-player hotseat versus mode so you can diss your friends too.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Remember all: the zip file that you upload to submit your game is only for judges and is not publicly available or even viewable! You MUST provide a link to your game on your game page - if you want people to play it, at least.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Something Flappy
I followed a tutorial and beaten the wall of shame. :science:. I submit Something Flappy, it sounds exactly like it is, a Flappy Bird clone. I'm not proud and it isn't what I had in mind; but I can't ask for much else while juggling summer classes and battling poor time management.
I don't expect to even get judged but maybe I'll still win something for latest project start, 7/30/15.

I'm very excited to see and hopefully play everyone else's games. Watching people flesh their projects out and reading updates has been an awesome in of itself. Good luck to everyone submitting tonight!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I finished my game a few days ago and I'm still crying.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

It takes some doing, but you get used to the controls after not too long.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Oh, what a month. What a lovely month.

Big thanks to Ultigonio and dog kisser, they did a hell of a job on the art and sound and provided invaluable feedback on the overall design.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

I finished my game a few days ago and I'm still crying.

:qq::respek::qq:

holy poo poo though I just logged into our Awful Jam account and it says we haven't submitted. The gently caress? :derp: Time to freak out and reupload! Oh my god I think I'm actually starting to cry IRL.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sighnoceros posted:

Oh, what a month. What a lovely month.

Big thanks to Ultigonio and dog kisser, they did a hell of a job on the art and sound and provided invaluable feedback on the overall design.

I'm really proud of the sound/music work I did on this one, and it's a fun game, to boot. I encourage everyone to give it a go!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

http://www.awfuljams.com/games/pzzl

A big Thank You to Willfor for the awesome music.

Also, continue crashes the game if you don't have a save file yet. Crap. :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey webdevs, my dev uploaded our game from his computer but did not submit our game. Being out of contact with him, I decided to upload the game myself from my computer; after doing so I submitted our game:

However our game's page is still not linked to at awfuljams.com/games. Is it possible that the double upload ganked up the queue?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 1, 2015

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Xibanya posted:

Hey webdevs, my dev uploaded our game from his computer but did not submit our game. Being out of contact with him, I decided to upload the game myself from my computer; after doing so I submitted our game:

However our game's paged is still not linked to at awfuljams.com/games. Is it possible that the double upload ganked up the queue?

Yeah, my game says it's submitted too, but it doesn't appear on the main game page. How long is it usually suppose to take before it appears there?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Harold Krell posted:

Yeah, my game says it's submitted too, but it doesn't appear on the main game page. How long is it usually suppose to take before it appears there?

Looks like the problem with our submission was that a platform wasn't selected for it on the submission page. Check with JonTerp in IRC ASAP and he can fix it for you.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Looks like the problem with our submission was that a platform wasn't selected for it on the submission page. Check with JonTerp in IRC ASAP and he can fix it for you.

It looks like it's up on the site now. Nice. :cool:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
loving christ that bug probably took five years off of my life. I'm still :qq: but it's :qq: of joy.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Mission failed. Hall of shame, here I come. :(

Better luck next year I guess.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
10 minutes to go!

And yeah if you don't select a supported platform it won't actually progress your game state in the backend to "fully submitted". But we still have your upload safe and sound, It's easy to spot and fix in our admin tools.

We have this already fixed but didn't want to update the site during the final hours.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I spent the night trying to get the filesize of my game down to no avail, and now that it's uploading it's taking so long that there's no way it'll be uploaded to the site on time. Is there really no way to get the game to the judges aside from the site?

EDIT: Actually, it's stuck at one percent.
I don't even think it's uploading. I can't believe I spent all this time only to gently caress up at the last second.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Oh gently caress. I didn't check if I had a platform selected.

EDIT: Whew. Nevermind.

I have tomorrow off and I'm going to try to record a playthrough of all the games I can. They're all sooo good. :3:

Jo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 1, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I spent the night trying to get the filesize of my game down to no avail, and now that it's uploading it's taking so long that there's no way it'll be uploaded to the site on time. Is there really no way to get the game to the judges aside from the site?

EDIT: Actually, it's stuck at one percent.
I don't even think it's uploading. I can't believe I spent all this time only to gently caress up at the last second.

Keep at it. You'll make it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Wow double post. Anyways, if you're uploading at the last moment keep at it. If your upload actually failed it'll let you know with a big error message.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

...And submitted!

http://www.awfuljams.com/games/fraudmode

It's a game about showing off a game at a big gaming expo.
...Except there's no actual game, so you have to fake it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RIP my week

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Just gonna say...it's not extremely obvious from the UI that you're supposed to select a platform.

I'm not just kvetching because I was too stupid and sleep deprived to realize I was supposed to do that. I do QA for a living, they even send me money every two weeks and stuff.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Yeah, the extra restrictions this year added a bit of tension while going through but it is at least a pretty nice site otherwise. We had a minor panic with our Mac version that fortunately just happened to be one person having a version that got corrupted.

The only big downside now is that I'm playing the other games and I really realize we should of had a more active element in ours, it's often difficult to hit enemies in our game if there isn't a turret that gets you a good consistent angle or they wire projectiles at you themselves. That said I think me and the other people on my time are pretty committed to continuing to iterate on our idea.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Submitted with about 25 minutes to spare :smug:

http://www.awfuljams.com/games/sub-optimal

Had one hell of a last couple days. Eventually I was just plain running running out of time to implement all the enemies/items/etc the artists were sending me. It has some balance issues, but we're definitely closer this year to being 100% feature-complete to all the original stuff we concepted than we've been any other year!

Hopefully the game isn't ridiculously hard to play; to any prospective players, definitely play through the tutorial, you'll be much better off (also I spent a lot of time making it please don't skip it oh god).

Good luck everyone! Gonna play as many of these submissions as I can first thing tomorrow.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I did it. Barely. I avoided the wall of shame and I am actually pretty proud of what I made even if it came down to the wire!

I tried an HTML5 build from Fusion 2.5 but my physics were just waaaaaay off. So all I have is a windows exe. It's probably not going to win anything but I am happy with what I produced. Cant wait to play everyone elses and get drunk and sleep!

Great job everyone!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

OK everybody false alarm the world isn't ending
Our game is finally uploaded!! (Thanks for the name, MSPain)

http://www.awfuljams.com/games/super-turbo-voynich-manuscript

Hope you guys get something resembling enjoyment out of it. There's two distinct endings and multiple paths to get to them, so try playing it multiple times.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Should we post play throughs here or in a new, dedicated thread?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

http://www.awfuljams.com/games/bare-asphalt

Boy was that fun. I didn't realize you could upload each zip separately and my internet crashed halfway through uploading the first time. But, we made it in just under deadline!

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Feed your grandma.

Tongue your grandma.

De-Hitler your grandma.

Krump your grandma.

Guide your grandma to survive a treacherous basement. You have all the tools you need to be victorious!

...That is, except for Life Alert.

All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert has been officially submitted!

Play the public release here!

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

(Thanks for the name, MSPain)

:thumbsup: awesome dude, I can't wait to play your game tomorrow when I am less sleep deprived and weary from coding.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
http://www.awfuljams.com/wall-of-shame

The wall will not go hungry this year.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

JonTerp posted:

http://www.awfuljams.com/wall-of-shame

The wall will not go hungry this year.

I'm so bad at this jam I don't even know the difference between a Brick and a Spectator Tot.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Did Smash-em-Up not get submitted??? I was pretty stoked to play it. :(

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

BossRighteous posted:

Did Smash-em-Up not get submitted??? I was pretty stoked to play it. :(

I don't think so. :( I was pretty excited to play it too. I'm looking forward to playing all these other games though!

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Wall of shame for me :(
Here's what I finished, anyway, hopefully someone'll get a kick out of it: http://www.fastswf.com/c1jg_s0

abardam fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

abardam posted:

Wall of shame for me :(
Here's what I finished, anyway, hopefully someone'll get a kick out of it: http://www.fastswf.com/c1jg_s0

I'd try it but I am not getting anything on screen. Chrome asked me about Unity Player for other projects, Firefox loaded it this time. Review to come.

• Locked thread