Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
HM 7/25 G1 Climax Night 4 - Okada/Honma
MOTYC 7/26 G1 Climax Night 5 - AJ/Ibushi
HM 7/26 G1 Climax Night 5 - Naito/Tanahashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Just posting to signal to myself later that I've got every match up to here in my spreadsheet.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

HM 7/28 G1 Climax Night 6 Ishii/Anderson. I loved everything about that drat match. I don't know if anyone else shares this opinion but I enjoyed it enough to give it a honorable mention.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
MOTYC: Akebono vs. Kento Miyahara, AJPW 06/21

Watching this instead of NJPW undercard multimans was a good idea

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM 7/29 NJPW G1 Climax Night 7 Shibata/Ibushi

a little short but otherwise an absolutely fantastic match with some amazing sequences

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

a little short but otherwise an absolutely fantastic match with some amazing sequences

I'll second this.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

third

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

4thing this

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

fifth.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

abraham linksys posted:

Sixth. Thoroughly entertained with that match.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
HM Willie mack vs the cage - ultimate lucha

Holy loving poo poo yo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Yuriy posted:

HM Willie mack vs the cage - ultimate lucha

Holy loving poo poo yo

Gonna 2nd this. Probably the best pure weapons match you'll see all year.

I'll also give a HM to Drago vs. Hernandez, Ultima Lucha 7/29

The crowd interaction really helped to elevate this one, and it has an old-school rasslin' feel that you don't see much of in 2015. Highly recommend it, especially if you hate Hernandez.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Benne posted:

Gonna 2nd this. Probably the best pure weapons match you'll see all year.

I'll also give a HM to Drago vs. Hernandez, Ultima Lucha 7/29

The crowd interaction really helped to elevate this one, and it has an old-school rasslin' feel that you don't see much of in 2015. Highly recommend it, especially if you hate Hernandez.

I'll second yours, I loved how the fans went from being a bit timid to just whipping the poo poo out of him

And the interaction between StarkRavingMad and Hernandez towards the end was great

Edit: Also Drago and his nunchuks owned

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 30, 2015

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
Slow start to the G1 but holy poo poo...

MOTYC: Shibata vs Ibushi

Shibata can do no wrong in a short and stiff match and Ibushi matches up well. Started off with the simple story of two guys with a lot to prove in the G1 Climax but once they threw in that bit of disrespect, you know this is going to own. Some people complained about the no-sell sequence but I thought the context was right for it. That slap leading to the finish is one of the nastiest I've heard in a while. I have a feeling that these two guys will meet again in the knockout rounds. My body is ready.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

nongdongfongbong posted:

Shibata can do no wrong in a short and stiff match and Ibushi matches up well. Started off with the simple story of two guys with a lot to prove in the G1 Climax but once they threw in that bit of disrespect, you know this is going to own. Some people complained about the no-sell sequence but I thought the context was right for it. That slap leading to the finish is one of the nastiest I've heard in a while. I have a feeling that these two guys will meet again in the knockout rounds. My body is ready.

I liked the no-sell sequence too, because Ibushi just fuckin collapsed after it. He fought through the pain until he just couldn't anymore.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
This guy on PWO was able to articulate my feelings on that poo poo better than I could

quote:

I have liked both guys this year, and the bulk of this match was very good if not great. But that no sell fest sequence was absolutely terrible. I've become accustomed to, and semi-tolerable of, singular instances of that sort of thing in a match even if I find it absurd in principle. That said this was possibly the worst sequence I've ever seen in a match, because it killed the entire feel of the match for me. It's one think for Sekimoto to no sell massive head trauma at the hands of Ishikawa - that was stupid and the match sucked, but they started from that point so I can except it as just a dumbass match from beginning to end. This on the other hand was the equivalent of two guys standing up in mid-match, looking at the camera and screaming "WRESTLING IS FAKE, NOTHING MATTERS!" For a sequence like that to occur with guys taking big time shots and head bumps and not only not selling but actually INCREASING the pacing during that point in the match is just awful. Why sell anything at that point? When do we know if a move has any impact or causes damage? Why sell big spots sometimes and not others? It's just nonsense, lazy as gently caress, dogshit air dropped into a match that didn't need it. The story was already there, both guys were looking tough without that bullshit, and after that I just threw up my hands and said "gently caress this bring back Tenzan and Makabe." They did some fun/violent looking stuff after, but who cares? They already established nothing matters, so why should I? That sequence was every bit as bad as the famed Edwards/Richards suplex, actually worse because it was in an otherwise strong match.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
is that about the obsessive kick outs at 1 only because that was the only thing i didn't like about the match. Like 1 each from both dudes would have been fine but Ibushi had like 4 back to back.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Spermgod posted:

This guy on PWO was able to articulate my feelings on that poo poo better than I could

:jerkbag:

No selling is cool people should do it more. The match isn't ending until a finisher so who cares anyways.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
sorry about your facile understanding of and appreciation for wrestling

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Spermgod posted:

based on this I was expecting them to no-sell headdrops for five minutes but it ends up not even being a particularly egregious example of no-selling and it's over in a blink. I love when guys like that act like the wrestlers are putting these sequences in there to piss them off personally. It's something that their crowds tend to eat up with a huge spoon so the wrestlers put it into their matches, get the gently caress over it.

I used to be super into DVDR and all that too but these days the elitist, overly wordy, THIS IS WHY I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG style of match reviews just makes me realize I'm old. Like with music I'm firmly in the "people are gonna like what they like and that's fine" camp these days. It's just loving wrestling.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

nongdongfongbong posted:

Nth

Ibushi's no-selling usually bothers me quite a bit but I didn't mind it so much here for whatever reason. Probably because he didn't get right up and hit seven flippy moves in a row right afterward.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Spermgod posted:

sorry about your facile understanding of and appreciation for wrestling

:jerkbag:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM 8/1 G1 Climax Night 7 - Elgin/Honma

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

[MOTYC

SHibata/Ibushi G1 Night 6 7/29

Shibata/Ibushi

abraham linksys posted:

seconded

also want to nominate:

Okada/Goto G1 Climax Night 7 8/1 for an Honorable Mention

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Third'd

quote:

Second'd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thauros posted:

I'll second that one, I really dug the ending sequence and the finish was a pretty big deal. Elgin/Honma was fun but perhaps a tad too short.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

abraham linksys posted:

yea

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

It was good.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ill third this

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

JULY UPDATE

quote:

MOTYC

CIMA, Ricochet & Matt Sydal vs. YAMATO, Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino – 07/02 Dragon Gate GATE OF GENERATION KICKOFF
T-Hawk, Eita & Big R Shimizu vs. Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi & BxB Hulk – 07/02 Dragon Gate GATE OF GENERATION KICKOFF
Kevin Owens vs. Finn Balor – 07/04 WWE Beast in the East
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba – 07/05 NJPW Dominion
AJ Styles vs. Kazuchika Okada – 07/05 NJPW Dominion
John Cena vs. Cesaro – 07/06 WWE RAW
Roderick Strong vs. Zack Sabre Jr. – 07/10 EVOLVE 45
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi – 07/20 NJPW G1 Climax Day 1
Jay Lethal vs. Roderick Strong – 07/24 ROH Death Before Dishonor XIII
AJ Styles vs. Kota Ibushi – 07/26 NJPW G1 Climax Day 5
Kota Ibushi vs. Katsuyori Shibata – 07/29 NJPW G1 Climax Day 7

HM

BxB Hulk vs. Akira Tozawa – 05/16 Dragon Gate: King of Gate Day 4
Masato Yoshino vs. T-Hawk – 05/30 Dragon Gate King of Gate Day 8
Akira Tozawa vs. K-ness – 06/13 Dragon Gate
CIMA, GAMMA & Don Fujii vs. Jimmy Ryo Saito, Jimmy Susumu & Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee! – 06/14 Dragon Gate
Adrian Neville vs. Chris Jericho – 07/04 WWE Beast in the East
Kenny Omega vs. KUSHIDA – 07/05 NJPW Dominion
Kevin Owens vs. Rusev vs. Cesaro – 07/13 WWE RAW
Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte – 07/15 WWE NXT
Minoru Suzuki vs. Yoshihiro Takayama – 07/18 NOAH Summer Navigation 2015
Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Yuji Okabayashi – 07/20 BJW Strong World
Akira Tozawa vs. Eita – 07/20 Dragon Gate Kobe World Pro Wrestling Festival 2015
YAMATO & Naruki Doi vs. Ricochet & Matt Sydal – 07/20 Dragon Gate Kobe World Pro Wrestling Festival 2015
AJ Styles vs. Katsuyori Shibata – 07/20 NJPW G1 Climax Day 1

WMOTY

-

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

drat, no candidates for WMOTYC in July? Can't tell if we're not trying hard enough, if no one's paying attention to Raw anymore, or if Wrestling is Good Now (it is not)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

matches were nominated, just didn't get the support.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
So what you're saying is that we need to watch more TNA?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
people need to watch more Dragon Lee/Kamaitachi matches

Sekimoto deserves more love as well

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 1, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NXT callups mean I don't have any Tamina matches to nominate anymore

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ayn rand hand job posted:

So what you're saying is that we need to watch more TNA?

let's not.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Comedy Match of the Year

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Toru Tano, G1 Climax Day 9 8/2/15

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HM: Seth Rollins vs. Neville, RAW 8/3

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Benne posted:

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Benne posted:

im with this

• Locked thread