Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Good luck with Yuffie.

Buffy? Her show was petty big back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

Good luck with Yuffie.

Julie, it was a dark time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yolanda

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

So Lightning Returns is boughted. Now just to wait for it to actually get here.

I've purchased one DLC - the FF Legends Pack that comes with the Cloud, Aerith and X-2 Yuna outfits. I mean, I liked all those characters so why not. Are any of the other DLC outfits worth it, like the Samurai ones or Ultimate Savior or whatever else?

You also get an outfit for completing the Demo (or at least you did near launch, and I doubt they removed the feature), so you may as well do that. Takes like fifteen minutes (I don't think it gives you any notification that you'll get one, though). You ALSO get outfits for having saves from FFXIII and XIII-2, if you're on the same console (or you can download one from GameFAQs and put it on your system with a USB drive, at least on the PS3). So it's pretty easy to start with a ton of outfits already.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well my FFXIII save is long gone, along with my original Xbox 360, but I do have my XIII-2 save. I'm honestly not too worried about getting extra outfits or whatever, just wondered if any of them were especially cool or fun or popular.

Also, different topic entirely, but I'm noticing that FFX is a really loving boring game when you get to superbosses. I mean, seriously, I've watched two videos and they're exactly the same. "Well I fought a bunch of Arena monsters and maxedout my stats. Now I just spam Attack Reels and boom, I have defeated every superboss ever. Oh they can oneshot me even at max HP? Well I have Auto PHoenix so now that whoever died is up, just continue to spam Quick Hit and then Entrust to Wakka for, you guessed it, more Attack Reels."

God it's so boring. Why would anyone do this? I'd rather watch videos of them grinding up to the max stats. Watching them struggle against Arena Creations and whatever before they got 255 of every stat and overpowerd weapons might actually be kinda exciting and require real strategy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well my FFXIII save is long gone, along with my original Xbox 360, but I do have my XIII-2 save. I'm honestly not too worried about getting extra outfits or whatever, just wondered if any of them were especially cool or fun or popular.

Also, different topic entirely, but I'm noticing that FFX is a really loving boring game when you get to superbosses. I mean, seriously, I've watched two videos and they're exactly the same. "Well I fought a bunch of Arena monsters and maxedout my stats. Now I just spam Attack Reels and boom, I have defeated every superboss ever. Oh they can oneshot me even at max HP? Well I have Auto PHoenix so now that whoever died is up, just continue to spam Quick Hit and then Entrust to Wakka for, you guessed it, more Attack Reels."

God it's so boring. Why would anyone do this? I'd rather watch videos of them grinding up to the max stats. Watching them struggle against Arena Creations and whatever before they got 255 of every stat and overpowerd weapons might actually be kinda exciting and require real strategy.

The FF13 and 13-2 rewards are pretty good, but also more or less identical to eachother apart from how they look, and they get outclassed by later weapons regardless so it's not a big deal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Good luck with Yuffie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVpir5vSA78

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I only got as far as beating Nemesis and a couple of Dark Aeons, but yeah, stat grinding is basically fight the same monsters over and over again, leaning on Anima until your characters can do it themselves. And you have to fight that eyeball until it drops specific weapons and go get slapped about by a Tonberry for a bit. Then you spend ages just filling up the sphere grid. At least on the Vita it was easy enough to just do it while watching television or something. Never would have bothered on the PS2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with post-game superbosses in turn-based RPGs is that the act of figuring out how to beat them is the challenge, not the execution. If you already know what to do then it is just rote following of objectives which is really boring.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
"Problem" is pretty subjective as a lot of people enjoy figuring things like that out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

"Problem" is pretty subjective as a lot of people enjoy figuring things like that out.

No, that's what I mean. The act of figuring it out is supposed to be the fun part. The problem is that if you're just going at it with help from a FAQ/optimized strategies/ect then you're effectively circumventing that step and essentially just doing busywork you know will succeed. So if you're trying to do them but not interested in figuring them out on your own it gets real dull because you know you're going to win, it is just a matter of time and repetition.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
It's either rote memoritzation on these superbosses, or a whole lot of luck. I was not going to beat Concherer in X-2, ever, unless it wouldn't use Megaton Press. I couldn't keep up with it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I only did it for the trophies and because I never did it in the PS2 version but yeah it's not much fun. You actually get to the point where you can hit 99,999 damage with everyone pretty quick with the don tonberry trick so the arena monsters/dark aeons aren't even really that challenging. Plus capturing 10 of every monster is a pain

The worst part is the trophy for completing the sphere grid with everyone. You kinda get stuck in this hell loop of
- I have 99 sphere levels from killing don tonberry
- I ran out of ______ spheres, time to kill that one arena monster 3 times to restock
- I need strength spheres to fill empty nodes, time to kill ______ like 15 times
- I ran out of power spheres, time to restock
- I need more sphere levels, time to kill don tonberry
- I ran out of power spheres
- Strength is maxed, let's kill ______ 15 times to get agility spheres instead to fill empty nodes
- I'm out of speed spheres
- I need more sphere levels
- what am i doing with my life

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would think, even in an turn-based RPG, a superboss can be interesting or fun. They just need to have different patterns or AI or whatever. Take the Ozma talk from a few days ago for example. Over the years I've heard everything from "Ozma is really hard" to "Ozma is a piece of cake" and that all seems to be down to Ozma's AI and what it decides to do. The superboss just needs to be a bit more....unpredictable.

This isn't a superboss obviously but I've heard the final boss of Dragon Quest II is kinda like this. An absolute nightmare or joke, depending on what its AI has it do. I guess I'll find out soon.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo i think turn-based rpgs... should die. :twisted:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I've only played the first two, but I remember Wild ARMs having fun bosses to wreck at the end. Like a pantheon of superbosses in each.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

how dare you

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Whatever you say, noted pedogame defender Endorph.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

Wow man, I know some people don't like the new fire emblem but

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Wow man, I know some people don't like the new fire emblem but
that's a turn-based strategy rpg

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm a final fantasy completionist, but I took one (ok, maybe two or three) looks at the FFX post game and said "gently caress this." I don't care for superbosses where the strategy boils down to "grind for hours/days until you can barf out 99,999 damage x 10 every turn". That tends to be where I call it quits on Disgaea games, too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I've only played the first two, but I remember Wild ARMs having fun bosses to wreck at the end. Like a pantheon of superbosses in each.

They do, but they're still either way too powerful, or not nearly tough enough. WA2's were actually not bad because they usually had an optimal party loadout and you needed to figure out who was good against what and which abilities you should be using, but even then a lot of the strategies relied on that robot chick who I never had in my party very often. Every other game's was just bad. WA1 was all about overgrinding (in Wild ARMs 1 of all games), WA3 was about getting Violator to do tens of thousands of damage every turn, ACF was dependent on whether or not you upgraded Calamity Jane's ARM in a very specific fashion... they all had plenty, but very few were actually any good. At least WA3 made you feel big when you steamrolled every boss going Full Carrot -> Finest Arts every round?

And 3's Abyss was just mean.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
uhhhhh apparently FFXII HD was just announced at some FF music concert????????????????

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

uhhhhh apparently FFXII HD was just announced at some FF music concert????????????????

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1088670

Here's the closest source to that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Woah. Maybe I'll actually finish it this time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Isn't Gamescom this week? It'll probably be shown off there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How many loving games does SE have in the works now? I dunno if it's just me, but it seems like they have more stuff on the go at the moment than they have in like the past few years combined.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Isn't Gamescom this week? It'll probably be shown off there.

But that will cut into the 4 days of twitch/youtube celebrities playing the demo at 9 hours each

Sakurazuka posted:

How many loving games does SE have in the works now? I dunno if it's just me, but it seems like they have more stuff on the go at the moment than they have in like the past few years combined.

A remake crew is far less than a new game

Also Square Enix is a huge rear end company, they're not some small indie crew

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume that "remake" just means HD remaster so it's not a big effort.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sakurazuka posted:

They desperately need to make back all the money FF15 has wasted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I assume that "remake" just means HD remaster so it's not a big effort.
maybe they'll fix the audio

hahahah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

maybe they'll fix the audio

hahahah

Probably not, I can't imagine they'd shell out for the inevitable full redub that'd require.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a possibility or idea what new features they could add over the Zodiac version?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just please for the love of god let it come to PC. :smith:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Probably not, I can't imagine they'd shell out for the inevitable full redub that'd require.

Well according to Wikipedia Vaan's acting work in the past 5 years has been a Dunkin' Donuts commerical, one episode of some teen show, and Dissidia Final Fantasy, so who knows

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I only ever got to Fenril(?) in the first Wild ARMs and never played beyond that. I think it was after some part where you get/use a golem. I know that early in the game there was something you could do to keep getting a bunch of items (apples?) you could sell for decent money and upgrade the hell out of your starting ARM and just decimate bosses with it for awhile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Well according to Wikipedia Vaan's acting work in the past 5 years has been a Dunkin' Donuts commerical
don't believe krispy kreme's lies

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the other hand, they've never gotten Gabranth's voice back and I will not accept any redub without him. The original XII dub was pretty much perfect except for the audio quality. The acting and script were great. I'll take that over a fixed audio quality but inferior performance dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

Just please for the love of god let it come to PC. :smith:

Meanwhile, at Bamco...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/351970/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/372360/

:getin: