Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Bwee posted:

When weed is legal will all incarcerated weed dealers have their sentences commuted

Probably not because even though it would be legal, with the proper licenses and bureaucratic red tape to get through, they still were not obeying the law at the time of their arrest. Dumb, but that's how it would be justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I wish good luck to all of the Republican candidates that traveled to California to beg for money etc. from the Koch Brothers. Puppets?" ~ Donald Trump.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

That is a legitimate grey area now because it's illegal federally. I expect if & when marijuana is legalized federally they won't be able to fire you for medically using it but you're fair game for recreational use.

Also there will probably be a tightening of standards for medical use, less like California and more like East coast states.

On the other hand, I worry that the only reason no one gets fired for recreational alcohol use now is because it doesn't show up on tests a week later.

Edit: Wait, I misunderstood reading this first thing. I suppose you're right, medical exemptions will still be carved out.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I wish good luck to all of the Republican candidates that traveled to California to beg for money etc. from the Koch Brothers. Puppets?" ~ Donald Trump.

I hope this ride never ends. :glomp:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Soonmot posted:

The name change was pretty good, tbqh.

I do appreciate the work that goes into the OP, that being said.

Yeah but now for the remaining 30 days of the month we have a title that has absolutely no bearing on anything, seeing as the drone conversation is basically over. :shrug:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Is there a German word for "despising someone, yet valuing the essential role they play in public discourse"?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah but now for the remaining 30 days of the month we have a title that has absolutely no bearing on anything, seeing as the drone conversation is basically over. :shrug:

When was the last time the thread title lasted 30 days? It changes all the time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

Is there a German word for "despising someone, yet valuing the essential role they play in public discourse"?

If so, Donald has already trademarked it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Goddamnit guys the thread isn't even a day old and you already got my thread title changed!

Dude, just PM a mod.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not sure how impeding emergency response vehicles or repeatedly flying around aircraft taking off or landing is entertaining to you.

Is not this what BattleBots training us for?
Arm those emergency vehicles!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

Our political media, ladies and gentlemen :allears:

If the names don't leak then journalism is dead.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

When was the last time the thread title lasted 30 days? It changes all the time.

Literally last month, and every month before that except for June. :ssh:

Joementum posted:

Dude, just PM a mod.

Nah, not that critical. Just felt like griping/taking-a-pot-shot at standard USPOL thread behavior. I'm done now. :mmmsmug:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In other news, Obama's plans on emissions cuts have leaked, and they are going to be more aggressive (especially green energy requirements) than opponents expected. So expect even more lawsuits to stop their implementation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

So, has the Republican's refusal to in any way work with Obama legislatively resulted in a far more liberal implementation of items through Executive channels than would have otherwise happened through normal legislative channels?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

So, has the Republican's refusal to in any way work with Obama legislatively resulted in a far more liberal implementation of items through Executive channels than would have otherwise happened through normal legislative channels?

It's resulted in an expansion of executive authority. Hard to judge if the implementation is better or not because you can do a whole lot more legislatively so that even a compromise is farther reaching.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Joementum posted:

He's not wrong

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Whatever else happens I hope Trump at least drags Walker down and out of the race

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The more I read about drones and other emerging tech the more I think we are going to need municipality controlled drone management networks rolled into existing GIS departments just to keep the peace.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

quote:

More than a dozen states have already vowed to fight the action to combat climate change. And Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has called on governors to not comply with the new rules, which would lead to an inevitable confrontation with the Environmental Protection Agency that would then have to devise a plan to force action, notes the Associated Press.

:qqsay:

"You're tearing the country apart Mitch!"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

Whatever else happens I hope Trump at least drags Walker down and out of the race

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Actually, (federal) medical marijuana would be something you couldn't get fired for due to the ADA. Currently doctors can only write recommendations because it's Schedule 1, but in a theoretical situation where it was rescheduled and a doctor provided a legitimate prescription, you could not be fired for its use regardless of company policy.

Without a prescription, all bets are off the table. In almost all states, you can be fired for legal, off-hours use of alcohol or marijuana, wearing a blue shirt, or if your manager just plain doesn't like you. The better way to think of employment laws is that there is a limited number of reasons for which you can't be fired, like race, religion, gender, sexual orientation in some states, etc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Without a prescription, all bets are off the table. In almost all states, you can be fired for legal, off-hours use of alcohol or marijuana, wearing a blue shirt, or if your manager just plain doesn't like you. The better way to think of employment laws is that there is a limited number of reasons for which you can't be fired, like race, religion, gender, sexual orientation in some states, etc.

:raise: Isn't this functionally equivalent to "you can be fired for any reason at all", since you could be fired for race/religion/gender/etc and all they have to do is claim the firing is because they don't like the way you dress or something?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
ˆˆHappens all the time. "But I'll sue!" *Massive corporation spends 100,000 dollars to delay case for 3 years and blacklists you from ever getting another job, when the case is finally heard they paid for the judge's kid's college and you're bankrupt from having taken the case this far, you lose and die.* Thanks for playing America: The Video game. Please insert another quarter you don't have to play again.

dr_rat posted:

If the names don't leak then journalism is dead.

Well it's already dead, died in the 80's sometime. We're mostly hoping for a zombification at this point. I mean this is pretty much exactly how the Soviets handled journalism.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

:raise: Isn't this functionally equivalent to "you can be fired for any reason at all", since you could be fired for race/religion/gender/etc and all they have to do is claim the firing is because they don't like the way you dress or something?

Exactly right.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Walker has a loose fuse someplace. If only Trump weren't wearing a hairpiece, I'd bet Trump could attack Walker for being bald enough that Walker would have a meltdown.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

It's an uphill battle, but courts don't have to take the employer's word for it. You can introduce both evidence to undercut their claim (e.g., they said you were fired for wearing blue clothes, but lots of white people wore blue clothes and didn't get fired) or to support racial discrimination (e.g., lower-performing white employees keep getting retained while letting go of high-performing black employees).

It's incredibly hard to do in the individual case. It gets a little more practical when there's a clear pattern or, if you're lucky, the employer is dumb enough to put something in writing (e.g., an email stating that "Too many of our front-of-the-store employees are black, fire some and get some white people out there or we'll lose customers.") which amazingly does happen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nonsense posted:

Toyota is lame, and does hair follicle tests. Liquidate the owners and nationalize all businesses who screen.

That's pretty rich considering that a C level just got busted for trying to import drugs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's incredibly hard to do in the individual case. It gets a little more practical when there's a clear pattern or, if you're lucky, the employer is dumb enough to put something in writing (e.g., an email stating that "Too many of our front-of-the-store employees are black, fire some and get some white people out there or we'll lose customers.") which amazingly does happen.

Yeah, the incredible thing about discrimination laws is that employers actually do get caught. I have a friend dealing with this right now and the truth is that she'd have almost no ground to stand on except for the fact that her employer was shockingly stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Actually, (federal) medical marijuana would be something you couldn't get fired for due to the ADA. Currently doctors can only write recommendations because it's Schedule 1, but in a theoretical situation where it was rescheduled and a doctor provided a legitimate prescription, you could not be fired for its use regardless of company policy.

This is just like not true. The ADA doesn't work like that it's a civil rights law.

quote:

Sec. 12112. Discrimination

(a) General rule

No covered entity shall discriminate against a qualified individual on the basis of disability in regard to job application procedures, the hiring, advancement, or discharge of employees, employee compensation, job training, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.

There is absolutely nothing in the ADA that would allow you to get around a business firing you for Medical Marijuana.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ToxicFrog posted:

Innocent til proven guilty is a real bitch.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

pathetic little tramp posted:

Walker has a loose fuse someplace. If only Trump weren't wearing a hairpiece, I'd bet Trump could attack Walker for being bald enough that Walker would have a meltdown.

:lol: You think that's a hairpiece? That's all the hair Trump has, grown to a length of 12 inches and wound precariously around his scalp.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah his hair is super long, he really doesn't have a wig it's a elaborate comb over.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That Charles Koch guy is a real swell guy

quote:

Charles Koch – introduced by the meeting’s emcee Kevin Gentry as “our great leader” – stumbled slightly on his way to the stage, as attendees squinted into a hot Southern California sun.
“That was Harry Reid that was trying to trip me there,” Koch cracked of the Senate Democratic leader, who has waged a campaign to brand the Koch brothers as the personification of the big-money takeover of American democracy. “I didn’t see him, but I know he’s watching. No, he’s got the bad eye, he’s probably not even watching us anymore,” said Koch, alluding to exercise accident early this year that left Reid blind in one eye.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/charles-koch-blasts-parties-for-corporate-welfare-120901.html#ixzz3hgY6AJWr

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I'd rather not...

gently caress that dude.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

You left out the best punchline.

Politico posted:

And he called on the assembled business leaders to reject “corporate welfare,” that he said is creating “a two-tier society” by “creating a permanent underclass, crippling our economy and corrupting the business community – present company excepted, of course.”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
^^ :arghfist:

That article posted:

And he called on the assembled business leaders to reject “corporate welfare,” that he said is creating “a two-tier society” by “creating a permanent underclass, crippling our economy and corrupting the business community – present company excepted, of course.”

That's....well that's certainly a....thing....to say.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there going to be anywhere I can watch the debates online? I don't have a TV, just this computer. I don't want to miss the magic!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is that why he is wearing a hat at all of the interviews since he went to the "border"?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "If I'm gonna shoot it, I'm gonna eat it." ~ Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpmox0BDoC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chard posted:

Is there going to be anywhere I can watch the debates online? I don't have a TV, just this computer. I don't want to miss the magic!

Go to a bar and watch there?

• Locked thread