Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Squalid posted:

Regardless of his actual popularity sampling biases, especially in a situation where dissent has real serious consequences, can significantly impact polling results. So yes, it is plausible some or many of those respondents are lying.

Yeah if I was phone polled in a place like Egypt I'd pick the "praise the regime" option over the refuse to poll option so I could you know, not die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

They were jubilant that Morsi got elected, and ecstatic when he was overthrown? I don't get it.

I think it's something like:
They were happy to be rid of Mubarak.
They were happy to try something like an "Islamic democracy" and Morsi seemed to want to do that.
But Morsi soon did a hard-right into islamistic, which for many went too far.
Ergo when he was overthrown they were also happy. Not that they really like the police state in effect now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mano posted:

They were happy to try something like an "Islamic democracy" and Morsi seemed to want to do that.
Ergo when he was overthrown they were also happy. Not that they really like the police state in effect now.

I think the problem is most of the middle class liberal student crowd in the Mid East like the idea of democracy but chafe at the thought that most people in the country are more conservative and religious than them so they're happy to throw democracy away when they realize that.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Brown Moses posted:

Things are heating up in Turkey, a day after Turkey claims to have killed 260 PKK in air strikes, what's claimed to be a PKK suicide bomber has killed 2 members of the security forces and wounded 24 others this morning, close to the border with Iran.

So Turkey wants terrorist attacks from both the PKK and ISIS?

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

Yes they do. It's also a bonus that the ISIS terrorist attacks primarily target Kurds in Turkey.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AllanGordon posted:

It gives more chances for Erdogan to show what a strong leader he is (by bombing more people and showing he's 'tough on terror'), while introducing legislation his party and himself more power to 'fight the growing threat'.

This is like 'so you want to become a dictator 101' stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Also, the more the PKK engage in terrorism in Turkey, the higher his chances to succeed with either banning the HDP, or making them unpopular enough that they fail to clear the 10% hurdle in the soon-to-be called next elections.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mano posted:

That's a pretty good summary, except it was more like a lot of younger, middle-class Egyptians were happy to see Morsi get elected, flirted with religiosity, and then when Sisi stepped in, they suddenly became pro-army, all the way. The vast majority of Egyptians are really happy to just go with whatever way the wind is blowing, and there have been a number of members of the liberal intelligentsia who have criticized other so-called "liberals" for hitching themselves back on the military bandwagon.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Torrannor posted:

Also, the more the PKK engage in terrorism in Turkey, the higher his chances to succeed with either banning the HDP, or making them unpopular enough that they fail to clear the 10% hurdle in the soon-to-be called next elections.

I don't think Erdogan is going to even bother letting people vote for the HDP.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Panzeh posted:

I think the problem is most of the middle class liberal student crowd in the Mid East like the idea of democracy but chafe at the thought that most people in the country are more conservative and religious than them so they're happy to throw democracy away when they realize that.

You are making a misleading statement here by using as tame and neutral a statement as "most people in the country are more conservative and religious than them". If 'most' or at least a plurality of one's fellow citizens are not merely 'more conservative and religious' but hold borderline-ISIS-level theocratic views, as Muslim Brotherhood voters did, then rejecting democracy in the short term is a decision that I find it very, very hard to fault them for.

Edit: Also, and I can't remind people of this enough - "President" Morsi was a dictator by any definition of the word by the time he was removed. He had made himself supreme leader of Egypt for life and thrown out the constitution. If that doesn't merit the removal of a president, what DOES?

Liberal_L33t fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 2, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

suboptimal posted:

That's a pretty good summary, except it was more like a lot of younger, middle-class Egyptians were happy to see Morsi get elected, flirted with religiosity, and then when Sisi stepped in, they suddenly became pro-army, all the way. The vast majority of Egyptians are really happy to just go with whatever way the wind is blowing, and there have been a number of members of the liberal intelligentsia who have criticized other so-called "liberals" for hitching themselves back on the military bandwagon.

A lot of Egyptians legit believed the promises made by the MB prior to the election and were pretty upset at the new government when it took a hard right despite the assurances that it wouldn't. A lot of people also figured Morsi was consolidating power to the presidency and dragging the country into a way more conservative government than they wanted. The military swept in after the big protests started up and things began to look ugly again and were welcomed by a shitload of people who felt betrayed by the Morsi government. At least that was my impression from talking to people while I was there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You know, nothing says 'good person' more than someone who lives in the lap of democratic luxury, telling other people that they should be enslaved under military fascism and that their friends should be killed and tortured and that their country should become a fascist shithole.

What an amazing scion of human enlightenment and progressiveness you are. What an incredibly principled person of virtue you are.

The problem with even trying to debate people like this, is that fundamentally they are unprincipled sociopaths. They SUPPORT mass murder, they SUPPORT fascism, they SUPPORT torture, forced disappearances, total socio-economic collapse, based off of a fantastical and utterly deluded notion that as long as it's done by someone who they think is 'secular' then it's better off than any room for doubt a free society might entail. There's no point in taking people like this seriously, because at the end of the day they don't view their target of hate as human beings who deserve to shape their own destiny at all with all the foibles that will naturally happen along the way. No matter how many pictures and videos of piles of dead, tortured, exiled and disappeared persons who ARE the leftists, Secularists, and liberals they pretended to support, that apparently doesn't matter, what matters is that a general with shiny medals gets to murder people they consider filth and that's good enough in their eyes. Also Hilariously ignoring that this guy is supported by Gulf Royals, who are hardly the sentinels of enlightened secularism.

Please, I don't know what happened to you in your life to have this kind of outlook in your life, but I really suggest you start developing a sense of principles that entail things like human rights and democracy, you DO know that you can be against ALL forms of oppression right? you CAN be against all dictatorships of all different styles right? please try to be on the side of human rights, freedom and democracy as PRINCIPLES rather than supporting bloodthirsty tyrants based off of some kind of delusion.

Anyways, on to the main topic, RE:Sisi

The popularity of Sisi is the same kind of popularity enjoyed by any poo poo middle eastern dictator including hosni Mubarak, he will never lose an election, he will always gain over 90% of votes and will always win an opinion poll until everything collapses around him. There is no doubt about that. Even students abroad will sing the praises of him, because when you live in a situation that has GDR levels of informants and Surveillance, when you live in a situation where mass death sentences are a thing, when you OWN COLLEGE CAMPUSES can now have ARMED police stationed inside it to arrest and take anyone who tries to start a protest, you are going to have this kind of situation. If I were a student and you asked me about what its like to live under an absolute monarchy I'd be dancing a merry jig about how awesome it is to prevent what would absolutely happen if I said otherwise.

Don't forget, the main reasons why the protests against Morsi were as big as they were was not because of how amazing SISI was but because

A) Morsis mistakes

B) the police deep state actively sabotaged the country in terms of security, electricity, gas, etc. which lead the swing population (the people who don't really care either ways who rules) against him

C) the whole Tamarrud thing was a front supported by the business/media/police/Gulf Royal cash as what was evidenced by the leaks and recordings released since then.

D) the main thrust of activists and revolutionaries of JAN25 (basically the people who can mobilize street protests) were successfully tricked into believing that the MB were the bigger threat to them rather than the military fascist regime. Even people like baradei, ayman nour, etc. were created as a false sense of national unity to present the possibility of a national unity government.

So what has happened since then?

The military fascists wasted no time destroying group (D) and the MB in all of it's shapes and forms, the MB (as in, a group of about a million people) as a whole were declared a terrorist organization, everybody who presented any kind of challenge or threat were killed, imprisoned, exiled, etc. Baradei is out of the country, Ayman Nour is out, All the mosques fired all the preachers who wouldn't toe the line, All the liberal secular activists such as April 26, and famous leftists were outlawed and imprisoned or killed, all the media was suppressed and banned, everything resembling even a hint of political activism or free though has been drowned out in blood, and the judiciary have literally been turned into Kangaroo courts throwing death sentences for anything and everything. Even that clown Bassem Yousef, liberal darling, got banned entirely and threw in the towel. A shocking number of writers where revealed to be class A hypocrites. And now, the military regime is putting Egypt in an eternal war against itself thanks to its failures in the Sinai, so it's something they can crush any kind of dissent by making unthinking people afraid of being on the side of 'terror'.

So, like this, the largest group of people who are activists and political movers were destroyed as a whole. When you speak with them now (whoever got away with their lives) they didn't realize or want what Egypt has turned into since june 30.

The main group now who support Sisi are the main group who have always been with the military fascists, the business moguls (who own the media), the police state and their main base of supporters in the moneyed elite and beurucrats. group (B) the people who don't care either ways, are getting their gas and electricity thanks to the unrelenting support of the gulf monarchies who have essentially turned Egypt into their beggar slave, so these people will always be in favor of who they think have power over them, this is always been a classic quirk in many societies brutalized by decades of fascism. They will always shout your praises until your state collapses they mount your head on a pike.

So when you have this situation, when opposition means instant death and torture, what was the one way we could guess the genuine popularity of Sisi?

Well, as you guys saw, the hilarious presidential elections that nobody came out for and that the turnout was so hilariously low they extended the vote by a day and pretty much forged the numbers to make it seem not too embarrassing. That above all tells you what you need to know about how genuine the feelings are towards this bloodthirsty fascist.

The fact that the Police state is now enacting laws such as declaring all dissenters to the president as apostates, that all religious establishments be answerable to only SISI, that Egypt itself has turned into a fascist nightmare and a literal fuedalist slave state in order for the military to maintain control is the biggest evidence any of you need on whether sisi and his gang are genuinely popular or not. You will always find sheep minded people who will bleat their praises so long as they think that they wind is in their direction this especially in Egypt has been typical of any country afflicted by fascists for so long, but as you guys see, in every facet of human development, security, economy, Egypt is only getting worse off and is going down the long road of a collapse, you can only count on your tanks, gulf royal money and your Mukhabarat for so long before you eventually get whats coming.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 2, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Al-Saqr posted:

You know, nothing says 'good person' more than someone who lives in the lap of democratic luxury, telling other people that they should be enslaved under military fascism and that their friends should be killed and tortured and that their country should become a fascist shithole.

What an amazing scion of human enlightenment and progressiveness you are. What an incredibly principled person of virtue you are.

The problem with even trying to debate people like this, is that fundamentally they are unprincipled sociopaths. They SUPPORT mass murder, they SUPPORT fascism, they SUPPORT torture, forced disappearances, total socio-economic collapse, based off of a fantastical and utterly deluded notion that as long as it's done by someone who they think is 'secular' then it's better off than any room for doubt a free society might entail. There's no point in taking people like this seriously, because at the end of the day they don't view their target of hate as human beings who deserve to shape their own destiny at all with all the foibles that will naturally happen along the way. No matter how many pictures and videos of piles of dead, tortured, exiled and disappeared persons who ARE the leftists, Secularists, and liberals they pretended to support, that apparently doesn't matter, what matters is that a general with shiny medals gets to murder people they consider filth and that's good enough in their eyes. Also Hilariously ignoring that this guy is supported by Gulf Royals, who are hardly the sentinels of enlightened secularism.

Please, I don't know what happened to you in your life to have this kind of outlook in your life, but I really suggest you start developing a sense of principles that entail things like human rights and democracy, you DO know that you can be against ALL forms of oppression right? you CAN be against all dictatorships of all different styles right? please try to be on the side of human rights, freedom and democracy as PRINCIPLES rather than supporting bloodthirsty tyrants based off of some kind of delusion.

Anyways, on to the main topic, RE:Sisi

The popularity of Sisi is the same kind of popularity enjoyed by any poo poo middle eastern dictator including hosni Mubarak, he will never lose an election, he will always gain over 90% of votes and will always win an opinion poll until everything collapses around him. There is no doubt about that. Even students abroad will sing the praises of him, because when you live in a situation that has GDR levels of informants and Surveillance, when you live in a situation where mass death sentences are a thing, when you OWN COLLEGE CAMPUSES can now have ARMED police stationed inside it to arrest and take anyone who tries to start a protest, you are going to have this kind of situation. If I were a student and you asked me about what its like to live under an absolute monarchy I'd be dancing a merry jig about how awesome it is to prevent what would absolutely happen if I said otherwise.

Don't forget, the main reasons why the protests against Morsi were as big as they were was not because of how amazing SISI was but because

A) Morsis mistakes

B) the police deep state actively sabotaged the country in terms of security, electricity, gas, etc. which lead the swing population (the people who don't really care either ways who rules) against him

C) the whole Tamarrud thing was a front supported by the business/media/police/Gulf Royal cash as what was evidenced by the leaks and recordings released since then.

D) the main thrust of activists and revolutionaries of JAN25 (basically the people who can mobilize street protests) were successfully tricked into believing that the MB were the bigger threat to them rather than the military fascist regime. Even people like baradei, ayman nour, etc. were created as a false sense of national unity to present the possibility of a national unity government.

So what has happened since then?

The military fascists wasted no time destroying group (D) and the MB in all of it's shapes and forms, the MB (as in, a group of about a million people) as a whole were declared a terrorist organization, everybody who presented any kind of challenge or threat were killed, imprisoned, exiled, etc. Baradei is out of the country, Ayman Nour is out, All the mosques fired all the preachers who wouldn't toe the line, All the liberal secular activists such as April 26, and famous leftists were outlawed and imprisoned or killed, all the media was suppressed and banned, everything resembling even a hint of political activism or free though has been drowned out in blood, and the judiciary have literally been turned into Kangaroo courts throwing death sentences for anything and everything. Even that clown Bassem Yousef, liberal darling, got banned entirely and threw in the towel. A shocking number of writers where revealed to be class A hypocrites. And now, the military regime is putting Egypt in an eternal war against itself thanks to its failures in the Sinai, so it's something they can crush any kind of dissent by making unthinking people afraid of being on the side of 'terror'.

So, like this, the largest group of people who are activists and political movers were destroyed as a whole. When you speak with them now (whoever got away with their lives) they didn't realize or want what Egypt has turned into since june 30.

The main group now who support Sisi are the main group who have always been with the military fascists, the business moguls (who own the media), the police state and their main base of supporters in the moneyed elite and beurucrats. group (B) the people who don't care either ways, are getting their gas and electricity thanks to the unrelenting support of the gulf monarchies who have essentially turned Egypt into their beggar slave, so these people will always be in favor of who they think have power over them, this is always been a classic quirk in many societies brutalized by decades of fascism. They will always shout your praises until your state collapses they mount your head on a pike.

So when you have this situation, when opposition means instant death and torture, what was the one way we could guess the genuine popularity of Sisi?

Well, as you guys saw, the hilarious presidential elections that nobody came out for and that the turnout was so hilariously low they extended the vote by a day and pretty much forged the numbers to make it seem not too embarrassing. That above all tells you what you need to know about how genuine the feelings are towards this bloodthirsty fascist.

The fact that the Police state is now enacting laws such as declaring all dissenters to the president as apostates, that all religious establishments be answerable to only SISI, that Egypt itself has turned into a fascist nightmare and a literal fuedalist slave state in order for the military to maintain control is the biggest evidence any of you need on whether sisi and his gang are genuinely popular or not. You will always find sheep minded people who will bleat their praises so long as they think that they wind is in their direction this especially in Egypt has been typical of any country afflicted by fascists for so long, but as you guys see, in every facet of human development, security, economy, Egypt is only getting worse off and is going down the long road of a collapse, you can only count on your tanks, gulf royal money and your Mukhabarat for so long before you eventually get whats coming.

Nothing says "bad person" like individuals who make excuses for authoritarian-minded islamists who allow Al-Qaeda to return to their territory.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nothing says "bad person" like individuals who make excuses for authoritarian-minded islamists who allow Al-Qaeda to return to their territory.

Your friendly reminder that Mohammed Al-Zawahiri was released by SCAF in March 2012- a full three months before Morsi got elected.

Oh, and also, AQ-inspired groups were in the Sinai and elsewhere long before the 2011/2012 elections, or even the Jan. 25 revolution.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

suboptimal posted:

Your friendly reminder that Mohammed Al-Zawahiri was released by SCAF in March 2012- a full three months before Morsi got elected.

Oh, and also, AQ-inspired groups were in the Sinai and elsewhere long before the 2011/2012 elections, or even the Jan. 25 revolution.

Of course AQ was in Sinai pre-Morsi; they were underground, whereas Morsi allowed them to operate openly enough so that the Sinai issues of today have arisen out of the capacity expansion during Morsi's reign.

Like ISIL, Morsi was hellbent on persecuting religious minorities in Egypt. Sisi has guaranteed Coptic religious rights, whereas Al Saqr has no problem with eliminating one of the last remaining protections for christians in the mideast.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Useful for understanding the turkey/pkk/kurds dynamic.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Warbadger posted:

A lot of Egyptians legit believed the promises made by the MB prior to the election and were pretty upset at the new government when it took a hard right despite the assurances that it wouldn't. A lot of people also figured Morsi was consolidating power to the presidency and dragging the country into a way more conservative government than they wanted. The military swept in after the big protests started up and things began to look ugly again and were welcomed by a shitload of people who felt betrayed by the Morsi government. At least that was my impression from talking to people while I was there.

Helps that the military (and its loyal media) organized the protests well in advance.

Morsi was far from perfect, but anyone who thought the military was going to "restore democracy" or indeed do anything other than consolidate power and enrich their pals is loving dumb.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I don't think I'd seen that insignia for Team Barzani before. I knew I was cheering for the right group. :allears:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't think I'd seen that insignia for Team Barzani before. I knew I was cheering for the right group. :allears:

Oh you were definitely cheering for the Right group, here.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

suboptimal posted:

As an Egyptian who was dubbed into supporting the 30 july coup ( Due to the extensive, exaggerated private media claims of Morsi turning Egypt to literal Qandahar) I cannot emphasize how true this statement is. Most the general populace really do swing according to the bandwagon and absolutely do not care about the regime destroying basic civil rights or whatever. Those "so called liberals however are the disgusting bunch, openly celebrating their fascism and nationalistic chauvinism.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Don't mind L33t. He also believes that chemical weapons should be used against ISIS.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The oligarchic families?

I'm not saying that the PKK is any better, but I do sympathize with the "radicals" despite their sabotaging of fellow Kurdish oil pipelines. Emotionally, I am drawn to their honesty and idealism.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this, it was really bizarre seeing people act like this time was totally different.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

If I could hazard a guess I imagine that Turkey is in good standing with the Iraqi Kurds because they enjoy their own autonomic status in Iraq and hold no overt ambitions outside that border?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gravel Gravy posted:

If I could hazard a guess I imagine that Turkey is in good standing with the Iraqi Kurds because they enjoy their own autonomic status in Iraq and hold no overt ambitions outside that border?

It's certainly not because they have their own autonomy in Iraq, which is something Turkey has always frowned on due to what it could do to give Kurds within Turkey ideas. It has to be partly in that Barzani has said the right things to Erdogan when it comes to things like Kurdish expansion, but I think the biggest factors were geopolitical realities that both Erdogan and Barzani acknowledged. Both of their relations with the current Iraq government were degrading, and both knew that there were tremendous benefits to be had through mutual trade and investment. Today Iraqi Kurdistan is perhaps the most important foreign government to Turkey's economy, as I believe they are the #1 importer of Turkish products. There's also massive oil deals between the two, as well as arms flowing from Turkey to the KDP. It happened really quickly, but I think it's already to the point that the KDP is an indispensable ally to Erdogan.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

I've seen this smear from you before but I've never seen any evidence.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Volkerball posted:

It's certainly not because they have their own autonomy in Iraq, which is something Turkey has always frowned on due to what it could do to give Kurds within Turkey ideas. It has to be partly in that Barzani has said the right things to Erdogan when it comes to things like Kurdish expansion, but I think the biggest factors were geopolitical realities that both Erdogan and Barzani acknowledged. Both of their relations with the current Iraq government were degrading, and both knew that there were tremendous benefits to be had through mutual trade and investment. Today Iraqi Kurdistan is perhaps the most important foreign government to Turkey's economy, as I believe they are the #1 importer of Turkish products. There's also massive oil deals between the two, as well as arms flowing from Turkey to the KDP. It happened really quickly, but I think it's already to the point that the KDP is an indispensable ally to Erdogan.

It's almost like a potential Kurdistan doesn't have to be a big scary monster for Turkey if it's handled with some dexterity.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

It's almost like a potential Kurdistan doesn't have to be a big scary monster for Turkey if it's handled with some dexterity.

You could also flip this argument around to the PKK.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

These vaunted human rights which you are singing the praises of are incompatible with a government like Morsi's by definition. If the MB government hadn't fallen, Egyptians would not have more democratic or human rights right now. It frankly boggles my mind that someone could live in a country like yours yet be eager to see another constitution get rewritten into a Salafist screed but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your reasoning is that anyone supported by the gulf royals must be the worst possible victor of any given political conflict.

You trying to put all of the blame on the "deep state" bogeyman for the economic collapse Morsi's power grab brought about is pretty loving hard to swallow, though. Even if we accept the premise that the majority of the "blame" lies with police sabotage, I consider such sabotage to be both a legitimate form of self-defense and a natural, expected reaction to a power grab by a hard-right theocratic government. The actions Morsi and his party took after the election amounted to a declaration of war against every Egyptian who wasn't a fundamentalist Muslim. I am not bothered by the fact that the military helped organize the protests that toppled Morsi; removing theocratic dictators is their job. And while we're at it, I don't have much of a problem declaring the Muslim Brotherhood (all however many members it has) to be terrorists; they were organizing Iranian-style religious militias when Morsi was brought down, which was a very clear statement of intent to force fundamentalist practices on every Egyptian with no regard to their individual rights. And speaking of those, democratic rights are worthless without individual rights, so a political party which campaigns on a platform of stripping away everyone's individual rights, THEN STARTS DOING EXACTLY THAT, doesn't receive any respect or legitimacy by virtue of having won an election.

To reiterate: the choice was between Sisi's tyranny and a much more zealously-enforced, much harder to uproot religious tyranny. Once Morsi was elected, there was no middle ground or other option.

Assume that I'm a non-Muslim living in Egypt. What possible reason would I have to wish for Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood to be in power rather than Sisi? And don't give me that crap about how the Muslim Brotherhood was going to magically bring economic justice to Egypt; they did practically nothing to deal with inequality, all of their actions were focused on enshrining fundamentalist Islam in the legal system - plus the actual economic data seems to show that Sisi's takeover put an end to the chaos in Egypts economy and evidence that his economic program is highly popular.

Edit: And while we're at it, although it does have a whiff of state religion about it, I don't see the labeling of Muslim Brotherhood rebels as apostates to be all that unpalatable. Isn't it basically the same thing as Muslim scholars in the west saying that Al Qaeda are apostates/not true Muslims? Keep in mind that I don't see much moral difference between a mosque serving as a mouthpiece for a 700 year old ideology or a modern day government - it's all just bullshit to keep people in line, anyway. If the alternative is the platform of those mosques being used to advocate for Islamism, mosques being forced to toe the government line doesn't seem so bad in comparison. Hell, if it hadn't been for Napoleon doing basically the same thing to the Catholic Church, it would have slowed European social progress by another hundred years.

Liberal_L33t fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 3, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Liberal_L33t posted:

Hell, if it hadn't been for Napoleon doing basically the same thing to the Catholic Church, it would have slowed European social progress by another hundred years.
Actually, with the Concordat of 1801, Napoleon was pretty tame and conciliatory with the Catholic church compared to the "put the nuns in line before shooting them with the canon so we can use only one ball", "you got your child baptized by a refractory priest because he was sick and there was no Juror priest around? Enjoy the jail sentence", "all refractory priests to the guillotine", "let's close every church in occupied territories even if it push the locals to revolt" phase of the revolution. Not that it satisfied the Pope. If you want to know what really pissed the more christian powers of the time, the answer is Napoleon and the emancipation of the European Jews.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 3, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So assuming this is true and pans out, something kinda very, very, very big is happening:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/03/us-mideast-crisis-syria-usa-idUSKCN0Q803Y20150803

quote:

The United States has decided to allow airstrikes to defend Syrian rebels trained by the U.S. military from any attackers, even if the enemies hail from forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, U.S. officials said on Sunday.

The decision by President Barack Obama, which could deepen the U.S. role in Syria's conflict, aims to shield a still-fledging group of Syrian fighters armed and trained by the United States to battle Islamic State militants -- not forces loyal to Assad.

But in Syria's messy civil war, Islamic State is only one of the threats to the U.S. recruits. The first batch of U.S.-trained forces deployed to northern Syria came under fire on Friday from other militants, triggering the first known U.S. airstrikes to support them.

U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to confirm details of the decision, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, said the United States would provide offensive strikes to support advances against Islamic State targets.

The United States would also provide defensive support to repel any attackers.
So looks like we might finally be in for Libya 2: Syria Edition.

On the one hand, this is a huge escalation and kinda makes me nervous. On the other hand, there's no way Assad can actually win at this point, so the only question is how long Syria burns in the meantime. On the other other hand, unlike in Libya there's no way to quickly end the war in favor of the rebels, so this may cause continued fighting.

And who knows what Iran is gonna say/do in response.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Verbally raise hell and that's about it. I mean if US jets start bombing Assad forces what else could they do aside from material continued support or risk getting into a shooting war with the United states.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Considering there are only - what - 10? US trained rebels left at this point I don't think this is a big issue.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

But one of those rebels could theoretically be embedded with any Kurdish group that comes under attack from the regime!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

mediadave posted:

Considering there are only - what - 10? US trained rebels left at this point I don't think this is a big issue.
While right now there aren't many US-trained rebels, it still sets a precedent of "if push comes to shove, we will militarily side with the rebels over Assad". The US has not previously wanted to start actually bombing Assad's forces.

But yeah, we'll see if this leads to anything substantial or not.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

So assuming this is true and pans out, something kinda very, very, very big is happening:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/03/us-mideast-crisis-syria-usa-idUSKCN0Q803Y20150803

So looks like we might finally be in for Libya 2: Syria Edition.

On the one hand, this is a huge escalation and kinda makes me nervous. On the other hand, there's no way Assad can actually win at this point, so the only question is how long Syria burns in the meantime. On the other other hand, unlike in Libya there's no way to quickly end the war in favor of the rebels, so this may cause continued fighting.

And who knows what Iran is gonna say/do in response.

We must train more Kurds and defend all appropriate Kurdish groups which recognize the awesomeness of America's Congress and its mechanisms for legislative access.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax
In a decade when a dozen kurds fly a couple of airliners into The Statue of Trump in new york harbor and we go balls deep into new kurdistan for a decade of occupation and justifiably kill 110k of the goddamn kurds all y'all cocksuckers are gonna be like 'we shouldn't have armed some loving bunch of desert dwellers' and we will be arming the 'yerds' or the 'kababs' or whatever to kill the kurdofacists or whatever.
no one in that part of the world is worth supporting. they are all terrible and deserve what is happening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

False Flag Rape posted:

they are all terrible and deserve what is happening.

You're a terrible person.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

False Flag Rape posted:

In a decade when a dozen kurds fly a couple of airliners into The Statue of Trump in new york harbor and we go balls deep into new kurdistan for a decade of occupation and justifiably kill 110k of the goddamn kurds all y'all cocksuckers are gonna be like 'we shouldn't have armed some loving bunch of desert dwellers' and we will be arming the 'yerds' or the 'kababs' or whatever to kill the kurdofacists or whatever.
no one in that part of the world is worth supporting. they are all terrible and deserve what is happening.

I too think that genocide is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

False Flag Rape posted:

Cool story. Do you like gladiator films?

Seriously though, he has a point, kind of. Recent history is full of examples of military aid to parties in the Middle East backfiring on donors.

• Locked thread