Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, wait, if I read it correctly (I might not, I am stupid.) the Ghost can only preform rear-arc attacks with the title on it and the shuttle and the shuttle being docked, but then it can also pull a corran and fire it's turret at the end? And it can also fire the next round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, wait, if I read it correctly (I might not, I am stupid.) the Ghost can only preform rear-arc attacks with the title on it and the shuttle and the shuttle being docked, but then it can also pull a corran and fire it's turret at the end? And it can also fire the next round?
Yep, but you have to pay through the nose for it. Still could be really good though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sarmhan posted:

Yep, but you have to pay through the nose for it. Still could be really good though.

Yeah, I got the feeling that this might be the first box where you can just run a 100 point list from its contents.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Working out the odds on Luke with Stealth Device and Lone Wolf versus R2-D2, it amuses me to realize that rolling two naked evades is the single most likely occurrence on two green dice with Luke and Lone Wolf. Every single other combination of dice rolls is less likely than that, once you account for the re-roll bringing up other outcomes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

The wording on the phantom title is a little odd. There must be something else coming that will allow extra attacks in the end phase, or else why specifically prohibit extra attacks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's how I read it, and immediately felt justified for pointing out that Scum Firesprays need errata to be able to fire out of their rear arcs. They didn't get an errata, though, they got an FAQ answer that implies that having an auxiliary arc is sufficient to be able to fire out of it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Did the numbers on Luke with Stealth Device and Lone Wolf.

When you get all three dice and the reroll with Luke's ability you have:

98% chance to get at least one evade (kinda expected, but drat that's high)
76.8% chance to get at least two evades (that's higher than I expected)
38.2% chance to get all three

A greater than one third chance to get three evades is ridiculous in a good way.

Now, for comparison. When you lose the Stealth Device, the numbers go down to:

94.7% chance to get at least one evade
59.8% chance to get both

Still good, but the Stealth Device is pretty noticeable. I don't know if I trust it against the normal high damage stuff coming out of something like a Phantom, Decimator, or Interceptor, but it could dodge another hit or two.

The numbers go up ridiculously high if you use the focus you're obviously taking with an X-wing on defense. I don't have the stamina or desire to calculate how much, but it's good.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 3, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I got the feeling that this might be the first box where you can just run a 100 point list from its contents.

Although at 0 agility I dont know how feasible it'll be.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Strobe posted:

Did the numbers on Luke with Stealth Device and Lone Wolf.

When you get all three dice and the reroll with Luke's ability you have:

98% chance to get at least one evade (kinda expected, but drat that's high)
76.8% chance to get at least two evades (that's higher than I expected)
38.2% chance to get all three

A greater than one third chance to get three evades is ridiculous in a good way.

Now, for comparison. When you lose the Stealth Device, the numbers go down to:

94.7% chance to get at least one evade
59.8% chance to get both

Still good, but the Stealth Device is pretty noticeable. I don't know if I trust it against the normal high damage stuff coming out of something like a Phantom, Decimator, or Interceptor, but it could dodge another hit or two.

The numbers go up ridiculously high if you use the focus you're obviously taking with an X-wing on defense. I don't have the stamina or desire to calculate how much, but it's good.

not bad

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

Although at 0 agility I dont know how feasible it'll be.

Though it does have evade naturally which is something. Should be pretty solid if the ship's dial is good enough to keep things in the arcs.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The Gate posted:

Though it does have evade naturally which is something. Should be pretty solid if the ship's dial is good enough to keep things in the arcs.

4 attack dice are going to help it out a lot as well. Throw in Expose, and that is 5 (or even 6) dice. With that, I see the need for experimental interface to pick up a dice modifying action.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Salvaged astromechs and illicit upgrade on the Punishing One :stare:

Dengar is also PS9. You can do crazy poo poo like pairing Unhinged Astromechs with the K4 Security Droid to do a 3 sharp green and get a free target lock out of it. Or do Dengar with R4 Astromech and Gunner to get (if you get attacked in your front arc), one gunnered-out shot with focus and one gunnered-up shot with Target Lock.

Ship is gonna be crazy good.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Remember that you can't make any attacks in a round after you use Gunner. It's been errataed so that using it isn't mandatory if your first attack misses, but assuming you used "gunnered out" to mean the same thing as "gunnered up", that doesn't work.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's still 3 shots so it isn't too bad.I think the unhinged/K4 combo is better though.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, unhinged has the potential to be amazing if there's any red 3 moves on the dial. And with a white 2 sloop, a red 3 one isn't unreasonable to expect.

K4 with the R4-311 droid could also be powerful against arc dodgers who depend on those green dice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A green 3sloop on a large base ship that gives you an automatic target lock is pushing it even by FFG power creep standards.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, it would be pretty nuts, but you never know. The white sloop plus barrel roll plus turret is already pretty nuts tbh. Dengar is gonna make Dash look predictable.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also PS9 with an EPT, never knew that Dengar was such a hotshot pilot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

Yeah, it would be pretty nuts, but you never know. The white sloop plus barrel roll plus turret is already pretty nuts tbh. Dengar is gonna make Dash look predictable.

I highly doubt it has a 3 sloop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tekopo posted:

Also PS9 with an EPT, never knew that Dengar was such a hotshot pilot.

Dude was a highly successful swoop racer who beat the pants off anyone not named Solo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

But as good a flyer as Soontir Fell?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Aren't all named pilots in the SWEU better than everyone?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I dunno, FFG have been pretty good so far in terms of policing their PS9 pilots. Sure, Soontir is EU but he's a pretty well known character and PS9 suits him. Wedge/Han/Vader also make sense. For scum you have TALONBANE COBRA (original character, do not steal) and now Dengar. I dunno if I would compare Dengar to have the same PS as Wedge/Han/Vader.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Would you rather have Boba be the PS 9 famous bounty hunter? Bossk? Zuckuss? 4-Lom? Give mummy man a break. :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bossk, of course, the clue is in his name :colbert:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't mind him being a real good pilot because scum aren't gonna have any Real Good Pilots if you're just going by canon stuff.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, and again, in fluff he probably was that good, or near enough to. Plus, fluff can't entirely replace game balance and Scum need some good high PS pilots.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So a friend of mine pointed out to me the accuracy corrector/Autoblaster turret/phantom combo with the ghost.

4 automatic hits at range 1 on a 360 that can't be evaded, and if you are at range 1 you still have a 4 attack dice shot.

:stare:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

But as good a flyer as Soontir Fell?

You want a guy disintegrated get Dengar integrated.

But yeah Dengar being PS9 has got to be an FFG inside joke.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

AndyElusive posted:

You want a guy disintegrated get Dengar integrated.

But yeah Dengar being PS9 has got to be an FFG inside joke.

I seem to recall in the original EU he got hurt racing against Han Solo, that at least kind of supports him being a decent pilot I suppose if he was good enough to compete with him in the first place.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Swoop racing. Dengar's a hell of a pilot in the EU and it's supported.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tekopo posted:

So a friend of mine pointed out to me the accuracy corrector/Autoblaster turret/phantom combo with the ghost.

4 automatic hits at range 1 on a 360 that can't be evaded, and if you are at range 1 you still have a 4 attack dice shot.

:stare:

Isn't that just about the very definition of all your eggs in one basket. I imagine that a build that would make that work is around 60-70 points in the ghost, phantom and upgrades. 4 hits is nice, but with no agility, the ghost will likely take considerably more in return from anything other than a 2 ship list.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It would still be entertaining as hell to run for a casual game.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Orvin posted:

Isn't that just about the very definition of all your eggs in one basket. I imagine that a build that would make that work is around 60-70 points in the ghost, phantom and upgrades. 4 hits is nice, but with no agility, the ghost will likely take considerably more in return from anything other than a 2 ship list.

Remember, you've got 60 points in most Fat Han builds, and that's a terribly competitive list. You can take PTL and Evade your rear end off for damage mitigation, and fill up on Zs for the rest of your squad points.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It's also built on autoblaster turret, so.... trivial to avoid, really.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It is on a large-base ship and the AC+Autoblaster turret only take 5 points over the cost of the ghost + phantom. The reason why autoblaster+outrider doesn't on the YT-2400 is that when you use that combo (which is a lot of points) that's the only thing that you can fire. With the ghost, your primary is still a scary 4 dice that you can potentially fire from your back-arc as well.

We don't know how good the dial of the ghost is going to be either and although it doesn't have boost or barrel roll, there is still EU. We don't really know how easy to avoid it will be, really, although only having PS7 might be an issue.

EDIT: I mean, people still fly autoblaster Y-Wings, and the range 1 footprint for a large base ship is much larger than a small ship.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Gonna fly Dengar just for d-bombs, d-missiles. You want someone disintegrated, get Dengar integrated. That's my motto.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cobbsprite posted:

Remember, you've got 60 points in most Fat Han builds, and that's a terribly competitive list. You can take PTL and Evade your rear end off for damage mitigation, and fill up on Zs for the rest of your squad points.

I have a feeling that like most lists, it will shine in a few situations, and get crushed in others. Arc dodgers will have a tough time, because the first time they make a mistake and get to range 1, it's game over for them. Similar with most two ship lists, as reliable consistent damage wipes them out.

But any hoarde list will laugh at a single evade token and rip the ghost to shreds in a 2-3 rounds.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's a problem that the Domi has as well, to be honest, and that never stopped people bringing them to tourneys, mostly because swarms aren't that popular anymore. They are kind of making a comeback: also, some of the new stuff (like, for example, tracers) really seem to be made to fight against big ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

In tournaments, swarms would still be great but the MOV calculation made them bad. However, with the new calculations they might have better showings. It will still be MOV tiebreakers but at least now they have the chance to defeat 100-0 winning Deci/2400 lists.

• Locked thread