Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How good is your 7th-round pick?
Pro Bowler
Future Hall of Famer
Gets the key to every city in America
Future President of the Universe
View Results

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Burger Trench posted:

What are training camp reports like for a surefire, middle of the pack QB like, say, Matt Stafford? Do beat writers meticulously tweet the result of every 7-on-7 rep, or is that just reserved for teams trying to find a QB?

The latter. Like, compared to last year, mums the word on Bridgewater's performance in training camp outside of an occasional note on his passes having a little more zip or a "nice pass" for a touchdown. Last year you could find entire play-by-play tweets of his performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Burger Trench posted:

What are training camp reports like for a surefire, middle of the pack QB like, say, Matt Stafford? Do beat writers meticulously tweet the result of every 7-on-7 rep, or is that just reserved for teams trying to find a QB?

Stafford's flawed enough and Lions fans are prickish enough that they still scrutinize everything and talk about benching him for Kellen Moore. Never underestimate a fan's ability to panic. Though Stafford's looking pretty good this year and has only two incompletions with no picks! (in one practice)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Published Tue Aug 4 1:27:04 p.m. ET 2015
(USA Today)Houston Texans RB Alfred Blue (cramps) was carted off the field Tuesday, Aug. 4 with leg cramps, but he is supposedly fine. Blue received the repetitions that RB Arian Foster (groin) would have received.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

Seems like he's adjusting though because 5 of the 6 INTs came in the first few plays of practice each day and then he seems to settle in. Just never expect him to not throw INTs.

I don't expect he'll be bad, and I like that he's pushing the ball downfield but yea I'm prepping for a whole mess o picks. Messopicktamia

Kalli posted:

Geno and Cutler are the two guys not throwing any ints in camp, so do you really want to be with that crew?

Fair point

In other news ASJ is wildly inconsistent with his catching. Hopefully he'll get better because it sounds as if he's getting open a ton.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Frankly I'd rather see a rookie QB make mistakes and throw interceptions. Funslinging best slinging.

:agreed: but they need to get a better oline

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

To me camp is all about half your fans saying how good your defense/offense looks and then the other half saying that's because how poo poo our offense/defense is going to be. It's a tradition.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

To me camp is all about half your fans saying how good your defense/offense looks and then the other half saying that's because how poo poo our offense/defense is going to be. It's a tradition.

You sound like you've been reading arrowheadpride.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LOL ChiefsPlanet.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
We're getting some Kenny Bell hype!

quote:

Brandon Thorn ‏@VeteranScout 2h2 hours ago
Bell can serve a similar role for Jameis that Devin Smith will for Geno. Bells a legit deep threat w/A+ ball skills

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

TY Hilton's agent Drew Rosenhaus is on-site at Colts camp. Seems like an extension is coming soon.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

kiimo posted:

LOL ChiefsPlanet.

You're not anyone prominent on that site are you? I mostly lurk there but it seems like that whole site has just deteriorated into 4-5 people just bitching at each other nonstop. Also trolls everywhere due to the old as gently caress mods not giving a poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chromatic posted:

You're not anyone prominent on that site are you? I mostly lurk there but it seems like that whole site has just deteriorated into 4-5 people just bitching at each other nonstop. Also trolls everywhere due to the old as gently caress mods not giving a poo poo.

Oh hey everyone, skip this spoiler since you don't care in any way and I'll feel less like I'm derailing this thread.

I'm kiimosabi (get it? oh man clever city) and another goon saphojunkie (my brother) is on there. He contributes a LOT. There are a shitload of assclowns on that site including Dane who lives close to me and I met at the airport and was as big of an aloof dickhead in person as he is on there. So many idiots circle-jerking their hate around like a "chiefs suck you suck!" cumswap. I have no idea why I go there.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've found team specific message boards are the worst and to be avoided.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They're legitimately suggesting "resting the starters" against Houston on opening day right now.

I wish I was kidding.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
Terrelle Pryor completing passes off of weird end around plays, Danny Shelton apparently bowling over Alex loving Mack. Browns, bitch, for now and forever

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

kiimo posted:

Oh hey everyone, skip this spoiler since you don't care in any way and I'll feel less like I'm derailing this thread.

I'm kiimosabi (get it? oh man clever city) and another goon saphojunkie (my brother) is on there. He contributes a LOT. There are a shitload of assclowns on that site including Dane who lives close to me and I met at the airport and was as big of an aloof dickhead in person as he is on there. So many idiots circle-jerking their hate around like a "chiefs suck you suck!" cumswap. I have no idea why I go there.

SKIP THIS POST OTHER PEOPLE

I don't know enough about him but I thought he was a "big deal" writing music for Pizza Rolls commercials or some poo poo and bragging that Lindsay Lohan lived right down the street from him in her prime. He's annoying as poo poo. Him and that Hootie dude have probably shat up or dug up numerous threads just to take shots at each other.

I have no idea why the mods don't get involved because the non-stop trolling has pretty much destroyed that place. I also don't know why I go there, it's just discussion on Chiefs football can be slim pickings during the offseason.

I think I might start trolling there during down days for fun. They legitimately cannot help themselves and will respond no matter what.

Ok, I'm done now because talking about message board drama is making me rethink my decisions in life.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2015

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Published Tue Aug 4 1:27:04 p.m. ET 2015
(USA Today)Houston Texans RB Alfred Blue (cramps) was carted off the field Tuesday, Aug. 4 with leg cramps, but he is supposedly fine. Blue received the repetitions that RB Arian Foster (groin) would have received.
What the poo poo is BOB doing to the running backs

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Elotana posted:

Ray Rice time?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Elotana posted:

Alfred Blue doesn't prepare like he will be getting first string snaps so he didn't hydrate enough before they increased his workload today.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Chromatic posted:

There are a few very good posters, but most of the board is real bad.

I think kiimo knows my username there and will hopefully spare the embarrassment of posting what it is. Think I quickly closed my window out last night when I saw a legit "clutch" discussion. Thank god for FF

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
:siren: :parrot: :siren: 2nd round rookie OT Jake Fisher caught a goal-line TD with the first teamers today!!! :siren: :parrot: :siren:

Fat guy TDs for the Fat guy TD god.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wrong thread

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

There are a few very good posters, but most of the board is real bad.

It's not too terrible for the baseball discussions and I occasionally follow the gamethreads for Royals games. Other than that, yeah.

quote:

Think I quickly closed my window out last night when I saw a legit "clutch" discussion. Thank god for FF

Yes, that was infuriating and took up like 5 full pages. Most of that website would fill up dozens of pages in the "Horrible Football Posts From Other Football Forums" thread.

Ok, super done about this topic now. Sry other people and mods.

Back to training camp. Derrick Johnson just posted this picture on his instagram along with the caption "“You wanna be the best you have to beat the best." I think he's back. :allears:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chromatic posted:

"You wanna be the best you have to beat the best." I think he's back. :allears:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Play-of-the-Day-Johnsons-One-Handed-Interception/97ff2136-6a80-40a6-9d10-0f403311ce7f

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
:allears: DJ is the best

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Why It's Hard to Praise the Backup

Megatron posted:

Kellen has been good, he just hasn’t had a shot to run with us in a game or anything like that. And I want good things for Kellen, but I don’t want that to happen because we need Matthew in there. Not that Kellen can’t come in and do the job because we’re fully confident in him. Like I said, when we’re out here at practice, everyone knows what to do, he knows how to take his reads, and puts the ball where it’s supposed to be.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

We're getting some Kenny Bell hype!

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/RCummingsTBO/status/628579011455643648

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Come on man, stay positive. Winston said he and Bell are roommates and getting along great, said only 2 incompletions when throwing his way.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Come on man, stay positive. Winston said he and Bell are roommates and getting along great, said only 2 incompletions when throwing his way.

I've been a Tampa sports fan too long for positive. I'll stick with realism/cynicism. I don't think he'll be bad, again, but it's important to temper the expectations a touch.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Kalli posted:

Geno and Cutler are the two guys not throwing any ints in camp, so do you really want to be with that crew?

Bears training camp so far:

1. Cutler is turnover-free
2. D-line looks great
3. Eddie Royal's making plays
4. Brock Vereen's winning the competition at safety
5. Kevin White maybe has a stress fracture in his shin bone

One of these things isn't a total mirage.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the myhammy dolphins training camp bullet points:

- Tannehill having his best camp ever. Improved accuracy, hitting deep balls more regularly, etc.

- Jarvis Landry is constantly praised by coaches, writers, etc. He has apparently taken his game to a whole other level this year. Scored on a 60yr TD bomb today. Probably gonna be my favorite Dolphin for a while.

- Parker is still sidelined for the foreseeable future and I'm starting to think he might get buried in the depth chart this year without being able to practice.

- Jennings is doing well and is the clear #2 behind Landry right now.

- Stills has been sidelined with a calf issue.

- The right side of our offensive line is getting absolutely destroyed by Suh and Wake.

- The only person who even comes close to holding their own against Suh in drills is Pouncey.

- 2014 7th rounder from Marist Terrence Fede is going to be a beast on special teams and could get more time as a rotational DE this year. He is cooler and better than Dion Jordan.

- Our kicking game is really inconsistent and will probably cost us a few games this year unless we start converting more redzone possessions to TD's.

- LaMichael James is getting reps as a returner and 2nd RB. He could make the team.

- I haven't heard as much about Jordan Cameron as I was hoping.

- Billy Turner can't win drills against DE's that I've never even heard of.

- Rookie Jamil Douglas has gotten some first team reps at both guard spots. Dear God, please pan out.

- We need to bring in Evan Mathis or the right side of the line is going to haunt us all year. Drew Rosenhaus has been spending time at our practices talking to Tannenbaum and Hickey. Just do it, idiots.

- Albert will hopefully be ready for week 1, but it's not guaranteed. He's still limping around :smith:

- We will go 8-8 this year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
If the Dolphins go 9-7 does Philbin stay?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

defiantgiant posted:

Bears training camp so far:

1. Cutler is turnover-free
2. D-line looks great
3. Eddie Royal's making plays
4. Brock Vereen's winning the competition at safety
5. Kevin White maybe has a stress fracture in his shin bone

One of these things isn't a total mirage.

It's Cutler.

He's on anti-depressants now, so reading the playbook doesn't feel useless anymore.

Kevin White is a faker.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 5, 2015

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Bills GM described their situation as "Quarterback purgatory" on the radio this morning.

Boy that's gotta be encouraging.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NC-17 posted:

If the Dolphins go 9-7 does Philbin stay?

9-7 with a playoff spot, yes.

9-7 and they miss the playoffs but Tannehill looks very good, yes.

9-7 and they look basically like last year, no.

also

@chrisperk: Suh, T'hill most impressive in camp so far. Grimes, Wake, Pouncey strong, as expected. But Suh, T'hill have stood out.

I'm honestly shocked at how much praise Tannyhill is getting in camp. I am starting to legitimately believe in the idea of Ryan Tannehill: Top 10 QB and I know it's going to burn me.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

9-7 with a playoff spot, yes.

9-7 and they miss the playoffs but Tannehill looks very good, yes.

9-7 and they look basically like last year, no.

also

@chrisperk: Suh, T'hill most impressive in camp so far. Grimes, Wake, Pouncey strong, as expected. But Suh, T'hill have stood out.

I'm honestly shocked at how much praise Tannyhill is getting in camp. I am starting to legitimately believe in the idea of Ryan Tannehill: Top 10 QB and I know it's going to burn me.

Please don't take camp reports seriously. Everyone is always either amazing or dreadful in camp reports and it doesn't matter one bit, because camp is not real football.

How many years does Philbin have left on his contract? Is this his final year or does he have one more after this?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Pale Horse posted:

Please don't take camp reports seriously. Everyone is always either amazing or dreadful in camp reports and it doesn't matter one bit, because camp is not real football.

How many years does Philbin have left on his contract? Is this his final year or does he have one more after this?

He got a 1 year extension through 2016, which is the standard as no team ever wants to deal with a coach in a perceived lame duck year. I think Ehud's right, unless the team shows progress, he's gone.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

He got a 1 year extension, which is the standard as no team ever wants to deal with a coach in a perceived lame duck year.

What responsibilities does he have left though?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A Pale Horse posted:

He has one more year in the form of a fake 1 year extension that Ross gave him

I disagree about camp reports to some degree. No, it isn't real football, but in comparing reports about Tannehill this year to previous years, it's a world of difference. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into it except for the fact that he's Gotten Better Ever Year™ and seeing such positive reports leads me to believe he is still improving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

What responsibilities does he have left though?

Gotta keep the field clean and make sure there's enough cones setup for the agility drills.

• Locked thread