Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

Woundseal is expensive but it is the poo poo for hand cuts. I carry that in my knife bag, although my kitchen also has a well-stocked first aid kit.

Wound seal is extremely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

the great deceiver posted:

So I've been fabricating meat

'Meat Fabricator' would be a pretty good resumé eyecatcher.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Splizwarf posted:

'Meat Fabricator' would be a pretty good resumé eyecatcher.

Our main dish that we move the most of is chicken and waffles so I have to pound out like 150 chicken breasts every night. Without fail a front of the house staff will come in and say "lol way to beat your meat bro". It just gets funnier every single time. I hate them all.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So the restaurant is still going to be running although I am shutting down lunch. I am hiring some new people to cook at night. I will be getting a day job. Right now I am trying to get into a wine rep position at one of the distributors around here.

Wish me luck

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Good luck dude.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah man your plan sounds solid but good luck regardless

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So the restaurant is still going to be running although I am shutting down lunch. I am hiring some new people to cook at night. I will be getting a day job. Right now I am trying to get into a wine rep position at one of the distributors around here.

Wish me luck

Sucks that it's not completely working out but do what you gotta do. Good luck!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Our main dish that we move the most of is chicken and waffles so I have to pound out like 150 chicken breasts every night. Without fail a front of the house staff will come in and say "lol way to beat your meat bro". It just gets funnier every single time. I hate them all.

"I'm taking this meat to pound town, are you next?"

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My last name is Anderson. In 2015 people still sometimes go, "[smith voice]Mr. Anderson...[/voice]".

Fight on.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.
Seven weeks into the new job -- first one in fine dining after 8 years in the industry -- and so far I've gotten two 2-day weekends, but have shown up on days I was supposed to have off with less than 12 hours notice and worked at least a full shift 5 times.

Sore as hell, but rolling in goodwill from the bosses. Every other cook is getting 2 day weekends every week, though, and I kinda feel like pointing out to whoever's in charge of scheduling that this is getting to be absurd.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Seven weeks into the new job -- first one in fine dining after 8 years in the industry -- and so far I've gotten two 2-day weekends, but have shown up on days I was supposed to have off with less than 12 hours notice and worked at least a full shift 5 times.

Sore as hell, but rolling in goodwill from the bosses. Every other cook is getting 2 day weekends every week, though, and I kinda feel like pointing out to whoever's in charge of scheduling that this is getting to be absurd.

This happened with me at one of my jobs until it progressed to the point where the GM was scheduling me 4 days a week at 9a - close (~midnight) + friday and saturday night 4p to close.

He eventually got fired and I'm sure that running one dude at 20 hours of overtime per week, every week, was a major contributing factor. It was really good money though and I worked a station that was basically "inside expo + other stations as needed" so I pretty much spent 14 hours a day shooting the poo poo and having a good time.

e: I should mention that I eventually got fired for no call/no show when the new manager showed up and stopped scheduling me to be in the restaurant for about 75% of any given week. By that point I had completely lost track of things like "days of the week" and when she started giving me the usual blind-dartboard schedule of random loving days and times I just completely dropped the ball and thought it was a day that it actually was not. She was, at this point, chomping at the bit to give my job to a nepotism carryover from her old location so that did not end well for me.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 4, 2015

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

pile of brown posted:

"I'm taking this meat to pound town, are you next?"

Last Saturday one of the super-hot skanky cocktail waitresses from the attached nightclub came in while I was pounding the chicken breasts and said in a really flirty voice "I really like the way you beat your meat". I replied "Thank you, I've had a lot of practice". :smug:

Didn't come out nearly as smooth as I imagined in my head.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

One of our chefs responds to about 90% of my "fire table x"'s with "fire you, bitch". For like 5 years now. I think he's stuck in some kind of a horrifying joke loop.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

nuru posted:

My last name is Anderson. In 2015 people still sometimes go, "[smith voice]Mr. Anderson...[/voice]".

Fight on.

One of my previous bosses was named Jim, we had a cook who would always "Dammit Jim, I'm a cook, not a -!"

Last Saturday one of the super-hot skanky cocktail waitresses from the attached nightclub came in while I was pounding the chicken breasts and said in a really flirty voice "I really like the way you beat your meat". I replied "Thank you, I've had a lot of practice". :smug:

Didn't come out nearly as smooth as I imagined in my head.

You should have asked her if she wanted to see you shuck a clam?

I can't take this place seriously anymore. It's not that I don't care to, I've just reached a point where I am literally incapable of respecting any of the so-called managers who do more harm than good. I do everything I can to provide the best food quality and service I can, speak as little as possible, and just generally try to go away inside (I can't remember what movie that's from, but it's fitting). A salary manager was walking around the other day with a flyswatter, heroically combating our infestation of fruit and house flies. I walked away from my area for two minutes and came back to find two dead flies on my area table and cutting board. I wondered aloud why there were dead flies suddenly left on food contact surfaces, to which the manager replied "It's better than them landing on everything." Yes, and touching RTE food with bare, unwashed hands is ok because back in the 90s it wasn't such a taboo. Everything else aside, having your GM say outright "If I was [GM's boss] I would fire most of this store, starting with me and [AGM]" just kind of does something to your morale.

Reiz posted:

e: I should mention that I eventually got fired for no call/no show when the new manager showed up and stopped scheduling me to be in the restaurant for about 75% of any given week. By that point I had completely lost track of things like "days of the week" and when she started giving me the usual blind-dartboard schedule of random loving days and times I just completely dropped the ball and thought it was a day that it actually was not. She was, at this point, chomping at the bit to give my job to a nepotism carryover from her old location so that did not end well for me.

Scheduling shenanigans are a headache. My last fine-dining experience the exec (who started his all-store inauguration meeting with "Hey, I want to get this place cleaned up so I can get promoted to Other Store") would call me three times a week to ask me to come in for a no-call no-show morning dish. Who, of course, was never written up. He'd call me on my days off and ask why I was late, then argue for ten minutes, cajoling me to come in anyway, before admitting I wasn't scheduled. Then he and the GM offered to schedule me some FOH shifts for more hours, which was a trap because the only three people to ever do so before had all been double-booked and then fired for whatever shift they didn't show up for. So, show up at 4PM for your Pantry shift but you were scheduled at 4PM as a Busser? Yeah, that's a no-call no-show we're gonna have to let you go. I declined but they ended up getting me on something else a month later. Best thing that ever happened to me aside from dislocating my shoulder on the clock.

On the plus side, I have a ton of applications out (which are unlikely to take me at my current rate) and I'm starting school in the fall.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm having a real similar problem / pissed off attitude towards my work.

Let's make this quick: So when former GM left they upgraded the assistant manager to GM (that's cool he's been there forever and we get along).

Well the new Owner and the new GM went behind my back and upgraded one of the pizza guys to assistant manager on a pretty decent weekly salary pay....

I've worked there almost 4 years longer then him and they didn't even bother to ask me if I would want the position... It loving stings.

To top it off the new Owner hired a bunch of chicks and overstaffed the front of house so now my shifts have even went down.

It's a real cluster gently caress and I got bent over hard. I've done everything for this place for over 8-9 years and yeah.... Time will tell.

The only silver lining In the whole thing is that everyone can see how power went to the new assistant Managers head and they loving hate him.

I try not to harp on it but for as much time as I've put into the place it hurts....

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The girlfriend of one of our chef-owners got hired on a while back as a hostess. Now, they've broken up. She didn't quit, he didn't fire her. Within a week, said chef owner is seeing one of our waitresses. This cannot possibly end well.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

A Man and his dog posted:

Let's make this quick: So when former GM left they upgraded the assistant manager to GM (that's cool he's been there forever and we get along).

Well the new Owner and the new GM went behind my back and upgraded one of the pizza guys to assistant manager on a pretty decent weekly salary pay....

I've worked there almost 4 years longer then him and they didn't even bother to ask me if I would want the position... It loving stings.

To top it off the new Owner hired a bunch of chicks and overstaffed the front of house so now my shifts have even went down.

It's a real cluster gently caress and I got bent over hard. I've done everything for this place for over 8-9 years and yeah.... Time will tell.

The only silver lining In the whole thing is that everyone can see how power went to the new assistant Managers head and they loving hate him.

I try not to harp on it but for as much time as I've put into the place it hurts....

:munch:

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Vorenus posted:

You should have asked her if she wanted to see you shuck a clam?

Oh my GOD I wish I thought that quick on my feet. Hahaha, that's brilliant I really might end up using that one. Thank you!

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Reiz posted:

... a station that was basically "inside expo + other stations as needed..."

That's a big part of my objection, which I'm trying to drum up the confidence to call "totally loving reasonable" -- I'm often *the* cook for a satellite station three rooms away. Between having to drag up everything I need from the walk-in, running my own dishes to and from the pit, running the station (which is the largest in the building in terms of square footage, surfaces to clean, and pieces of equipment), and cleaning up every night, I'm just hauling rear end for 10-11 hours straight.

The other cooks absolutely work their asses off, too, and I'm not trying to throw them under the bus. They just come in 2-3 hours later than I do, can rely on each other as a team, relieve each other for breaks, grab things from the walk-in, have a sous or chef to expo, etc. and wrap it up 1-2 hours before me every night.

I don't want to have to have to bring this up to my supervisor, but I kinda have to. There is no way that this is a normal thing, and besides -- they are absolutely hemorrhaging money on my OT.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Where's the Lmao?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Have you considered the possibility that you are a shitheel and no one wants to give you positions of influence or worth because you would probably cock it up and be all "lmao" while it circles the drain?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes I'm sorry I didn't get even asked for a new position and am just a piece of poo poo.

Glad the new manager is so much better that everyone hates him!

Sorry I'm venting in a thread that was made for venting!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Ok, well, he's right to vent in a venting thread, so now you have to ask yourself why they offered it to this guy -- is it about you, about him, about them, all of the above? I'll expand more when I'm off work.

BTW -- looks like I'm going to Cali again for another week. Wine is where it is at, folks.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Yes I'm sorry I didn't get even asked for a new position and am just a piece of poo poo.

Show me on the apron where he touched you.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

lmao!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you've been there 8-9 years and they're not offering you these positions you know where you stand.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
There's a more than reasonable likelihood that you were passed over for the golden opportunity to come in early/stay late for the shifts the GM doesn't want, run all the reports, control labor and be the bad guy because the GM overscheduled, listen to the complaints no one has the nerve to take to the GM, listen to the GMs complaints about the mistakes of those under you on your shifts, which you will be personally blamed for, inventory stock for the truck, and at the end of the day go home knowing that once you calculate your salary and hours worked per week, your effective hourly rate is less than that of the laziest cook whose laziness you get blamed for even though you have no actual authority to replace him and the GM allows him to usurp your authority.

That's leaning towards the worse side of the spectrum, but it does exist and the point is, whatever their reasoning, they may have done you a favor in the long run.

Also, if you're losing shifts to new hires there are two most likely scenarios: It's based on your performance, or it's based on other factors. If it's the latter, go find a better job; if it's the former, be a better employee. At the very least figure out your strengths and play to them. It is astounding, every restaurant I've ever worked in has had at least one employee who in 90% of aspects should not have lasted long enough for the ink on their post-employment tax forms to dry, but they have honed that last 10% or that one skill to such an outstanding level that many managers completely overlook the other 90%. Seriously, find your strength and play to it.

I really hope that doesn't come across as arrogant. :ohdear:

Oh my GOD I wish I thought that quick on my feet. Hahaha, that's brilliant I really might end up using that one. Thank you!

No problem. I take no responsibility if you use that and someone goes from full-speed-ahead sexual innuendo to morally outraged in the blink of an eye, but hey that's never ever happened in a restaurant ever right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, from the way he posts, they dodged a bullet by not putting him in charge of anything that he could gently caress up and hurt them with. The writing's on the wall, dog, you're not going to get anywhere there with what you've shown them, time to start looking for a new gig and make a better impression there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Turkeybone posted:

Ok, well, he's right to vent in a venting thread, so now you have to ask yourself why they offered it to this guy -- is it about you, about him, about them, all of the above? I'll expand more when I'm off work.

BTW -- looks like I'm going to Cali again for another week. Wine is where it is at, folks.

I'm trying!!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let me clarify... The money isn't really an issue.

The dude just brown nosed loving hard to the former assistant manager(new GM) and especially the new owner.

It's so bad that the new GM has even gotten sick of it. Making a comment the other day, "wow it's crazy what giving someone a little power can do to someone".

I'm mostly salty because when it slows down he will have steady money coming in while I have to make it through the tips. But it's whatever.

It was all a back door deal to get the new GMs friends and poo poo into positions and whatever and keep me on the floor.

I just wish I was even offered the position that's all. But what ya gonna do :shrug:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm weird and bad at my job and stuff but what I've always done is been good enough at my job that someone wasn't able to "brown nose" their way past me into a promotion. hth

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
For real, everyone beating up on the kid is mad old and for the most part, people really overreact.

In better news, I got an offer for ~84k gross to open a new bar, now I decide if I want to leave my dream job where I can't get enough hours and have to battle with a dick of a coworker to instead be in total control (and only have to work 5days a week, tops.) to be the boss bitch. HEYYYY!

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 5, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I had customers freezing cold and he told me they can gently caress off.

"Tell them to bring a jacket", and if I touch the AC unit to OFF he will send me the bill if it breaks.

He's a loving power maniac.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Waiters shouldn't be allowed to touch the thermostat. You motherfuckers will break it.

Besides in a busy restaurant it's always cold to begin the shift. It needs to be cold so when the 200 people come in it can handle the strain of all that body heat, kitchen heat and whatnot to without freezing the coils trying to bring it down from whatever you set it at when some other dumbass waiter cranks it down to 50 because it's too hot.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Waiters shouldn't be allowed to touch the thermostat. You motherfuckers will break it.

Besides in a busy restaurant it's always cold to begin the shift. It needs to be cold so when the 200 people come in it can handle the strain of all that body heat, kitchen heat and whatnot to without freezing the coils trying to bring it down from whatever you set it at when some other dumbass waiter cranks it down to 50 because it's too hot.

This is absolutely true and made the 4 o'clock dinner crew (75+ years) the bane of my existence when I served, since they were always "So cold!" and asked if I could "have the manager turn the A/C off".

Sorry, Hortence, your rear end should have packed a sweater.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I put my thermostat in one of those little plastic cages so servers couldn't turn it off. It's loving hot on the line, I don't care if you're cold. It stays at loving 68, deal with it, or get a jacket.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Let me clarify... The money isn't really an issue.

The dude just brown nosed loving hard to the former assistant manager(new GM) and especially the new owner.

It's so bad that the new GM has even gotten sick of it. Making a comment the other day, "wow it's crazy what giving someone a little power can do to someone".

I'm mostly salty because when it slows down he will have steady money coming in while I have to make it through the tips. But it's whatever.

It was all a back door deal to get the new GMs friends and poo poo into positions and whatever and keep me on the floor.

I just wish I was even offered the position that's all. But what ya gonna do :shrug:

A little brown nosing beat out your 8-9 years? You need a reality check.

Why not get a new restaurant job? Your current crew has an obvious disdain for you and you do not seem to enjoy it yourself. If something is negative, change it. It's really that easy.

goodness fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 5, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Be good enough at your job that anyone would ever consider promoting you?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pile of brown posted:

Be good enough at your job that anyone would ever consider promoting you?

Keep in mind this is the guy that said the new waitress looked slutty and ready to get down and then was mad when she was a "bitch" which I translated as NOT wanting to get down with him and he got rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Don't forget one of his chief complaints is that they hired women to replace him.

• Locked thread