Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This game is bullshit, that wisp move belonged to Ken / Ardjet first and Jehuty stole it from her so the arm should be loving Ardjet's weird double thumbed hand, not Jehuty's, hmph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

cat doter posted:

I had a vague idea of all that stuff, but my biggest problem with it is that, well, it's not really shown. Or talked about (other than in mgs4's ending I think?) so the main thrust of the conflict in the phantom pain is based on events that no one ever sees and is never talked about explicitly. It's dumb.

Yeah, it is kinda dumb. I'd guess that maybe it's an attempt to make sure the POOPS and PW stories don't require knowledge of the other games, in order to appeal to newcomers? Then again TPP is leaning hard on the series lore, but maybe Kojima/Konami is OK with that because it's a numbered entry in the series.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The gamescom trailer made it look like Skullface was the primary villain. I thought he wanted to go after zero though?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I will keep one save where DD is forever a pup

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

The gamescom trailer made it look like Skullface was the primary villain. I thought he wanted to go after zero though?

Yup, that's why he was interrogating Paz in GZ. The answer is probably that Kojima wants to keep any plot with regard to Zero a surprise, but a villain is needed for marketing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if we'll meet the rest of the old Snake Eater gang in person along with Zero. Para-Medic/Dr. Clarke is still alive in 1984, right?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Most of the poo poo with Zero is terribly written. It just comes off as really strained and the fact that we are told about much of this poo poo and not shown it just makes it seem really sloppy.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder if we'll meet the rest of the old Snake Eater gang in person along with Zero. Para-Medic/Dr. Clarke is still alive in 1984, right?

Yeah, she still has to build Cyborg Ninja. That's after 1997.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Most of the poo poo with Zero is terribly written. It just comes off as really strained and the fact that we are told about much of this poo poo and not shown it just makes it seem really sloppy.

On THe Other Hand, Kojima Is A Great Writer

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

He is a really evil man and killed all of Snakes friends, blew up his home, blew up the hospital where he was staying, and he loves rape.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Im gonna leave your rear end hole strained and sloppy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

acksplode posted:

Yup, that's why he was interrogating Paz in GZ. The answer is probably that Kojima wants to keep any plot with regard to Zero a surprise, but a villain is needed for marketing.

It's weird because he is technically out for revenge against both Zero and Big Boss.

Skull Face is working for Cipher during GZ - kidnapping Paz and Chico is meant to get Big Boss out of Mother Base so that XOF can blow it up. But at the same time, he is interrogating Paz to find out where Zero is. The fact that the TPP trailers show him hanging out with Big Boss might indicate that he's doing the same thing; pretending to work for / ally with Big Boss against Zero, while also trying to get his revenge on Big Boss.

We know that Skull Face is the leader of the Parasite Unit that wipes out Kaz's squad and captures him, but we also see him checking out the new Metal Gear and hanging out on Mother Base, so there's definitely going to be a weird relationship there.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This weird hate triangle between Big Boss, Skull Face, and Zero, and the fact that we don't really know what Skull Face's role in the plot is, and the fact that we know nothing about how Zero will factor in at all, are a few things that get me excited about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Extremely dang loving excited.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I just wish he were more present so I could hear his delightful British accent as he orders people to create Big Boss clones and carry out atrocities.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

blackguy32 posted:

The thing i never understood was why/when was zero so into the boss. Yeah she is the greatest soldier ever but when did he even learn about her ideals for a better world and stuff. did he listen in when she told snake. the easy answer is snake told him, but he doesnt seem like the type who would talk about that kind of stuff(considering he didn't even when he was tortured in PW.) so what gives.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

acksplode posted:

On THe Other Hand, Kojima Is A Great Writer

I mean, yeah. Obviously the man making Bowie references is totally a really Evil guy.

(Even though Space Odditty came out in '69, you have to remember... Video Game.)

Paranoid Dude fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 6, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

I've played MGS2, 3, 4, and ac!d, and I'm still not positive that Zero actually exists in mgs lore.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

a cop posted:

I've played MGS2, 3, 4, and ac!d, and I'm still not positive that Zero actually exists in mgs lore.
I know the prevailing idea they're trying to get across is that he's in the background pulling all the strings on every significant event across the whole series, but, like... he's loving Major Tom.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Yeah ultimately if all my questions and confusions are answered (ie foxhound, LET, zero's shenanigans, big boss's role in the patriots) in the phantom pain then I won't have anything to complain about, but up until this point the plot between zero and big boss is neither shown nor told, and it's pretty loving sloppy.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Skull Face is working for Cipher during GZ - kidnapping Paz and Chico is meant to get Big Boss out of Mother Base so that XOF can blow it up.

Wouldn't Big Boss just have died alongside everyone else if he was still at Mother Base? He's awesome and all but they were expecting an inspection, not an attack, so I'm not sure what he could've done to prevent that slaughter.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

We know that Skull Face is the leader of the Parasite Unit that wipes out Kaz's squad and captures him, but we also see him checking out the new Metal Gear and hanging out on Mother Base, so there's definitely going to be a weird relationship there.

That relationship had better end with or primarily be about blowtorching his groin until he dies.

That or insert other overt torture in it's place, if there's any opportunity at any time to kill him, he's getting it and I'm dumping him in a landfill afterwards. If he has any terrible or maybe even sad past, it'll be good to laugh about afterwards.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 6, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

acksplode posted:

This weird hate triangle between Big Boss, Skull Face, and Zero, and the fact that we don't really know what Skull Face's role in the plot is, and the fact that we know nothing about how Zero will factor in at all, are a few things that get me excited about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Extremely dang loving excited.

I used to be like this, and then MGS4 ruined me. But maybe some more effort will be put into this.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

acksplode posted:

Nobody likes anybody in this game. Kaz hates literally everyone except Big Boss. Everybody seems to hate Quiet (the person, not Quiet the pair of boobs). At least Ocelot and Kaz hate Huey.

It's just a game of grudgey, uncomfortable alliances.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

I used to be like this, and then MGS4 ruined me. But maybe some more effort will be put into this.

It looks like any effort was put in, so that's a good sign.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

croutonZA posted:

Wouldn't Big Boss just have died alongside everyone else if he was still at Mother Base? He's awesome and all but they were expecting an inspection, not an attack, so I'm not sure what he could've done to prevent that slaughter.

Big Boss had to get lured away because he refused the "UN" (XOF) inspection team access to Mother Base. When he goes to Camp Omega, Huey lets them in after hiding ZEKE, which is what lets them slip past the defenses and blow Mother Base up. This is likely why we see Huey getting tortured in the trailer - he is basically the one to blame for the attack, since he goes against BB's orders and lets them in, and they probably think he is a spy.

Also I mean it is Big Boss, so yeah we are probably meant to assume that if he was there he would have totally hosed them up. It's kind of like how we just have to accept that BB was able to subdue Quiet even though she can turn invisible and survive 200-foot falls and run like Sonic the Hedgehog and snipe a jet fighter pilot through the canopy. He's just the best there is.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

The trick is to enjoy the badness, the overwrought dialogue, the overcomplicated plot, the self-indulgent presentation, much as you'd learn to enjoy the flaws in your best friend, who is human, and must be appreciated as such.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

That relationship had better end with or primarily be about blowtorching his groin until he dies.

That or insert other overt torture in it's place, if there's any opportunity at any time to kill him, he's getting it and I'm dumping him in a landfill afterwards. If he has any terrible or maybe even sad past, it'll be good to laugh about afterwards.

You're the type of person Kojima is making this game about.. lol.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kaz, mad with grief and in a foaming rage: "Boss! You have to melt Skull Face's crotch with a blow torch! He DID this to us! He took everything! MELT HIS DICK!"

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

Kaz, mad with grief and in a foaming rage: "Boss! You have to melt Skull Face's crotch with a blow torch! He DID this to us! He took everything! MELT HIS DICK!"

Hahaha

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No greater good, no just cause, singe his balls

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Paranoid Dude posted:

It looks like any effort was put in, so that's a good sign.
Clearly a lot of effort was put into MGS4, which is kind of the tragic thing about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nobody likes anybody in this game. Kaz hates literally everyone except Big Boss. Everybody seems to hate Quiet (the person, not Quiet the pair of boobs). At least Ocelot and Kaz hate Huey.

It's just a game of grudgey, uncomfortable alliances.

Ocelot likes Big Boss. Ocelot likes Big Boss.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

So wait, certain cutscenes are different if Big Boss is all bloody? I wonder how much time they spent just adding content that you only see if you're all bloody and stinky.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

We cooked him like some god damned Vittles!!!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought it was how many loving bodies you decided to shoot and mangle in the name of revenge in that particular mission.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Slate Action posted:

So wait, certain cutscenes are different if Big Boss is all bloody? I wonder how much time they spend just adding content that you only see if you're all bloody and stinky.

I think he just means that you'll be covered with whatever blood and dirt you've accumulated during cutscenes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Slate Action posted:

So wait, certain cutscenes are different if Big Boss is all bloody? I wonder how much time they spend just adding content that you only see if you're all bloody and stinky.

I think he's just saying that if you are covered in blood, it will show up in the cutscenes too, since it is all rendered in real-time. Same with how the cutscenes can be light / dark / raining / etc. based on time of day and weather conditions.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Also you'll be wearing your chicken hat during cutscenes if you suck.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Or maybe you get covered in blood during a cutscene and it stays on you afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

acksplode posted:

Also you'll be wearing your chicken hat during cutscenes if you suck.

Gonna style my way through the whole game as Bloodchicken Boss

• Locked thread