Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tackles go up and down so much that as long as you're getting quality play from your lineman, you're still going to be okay.

I remember these arguments from the Jake Long days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Whitworth really doesn't. Look at his pff grades year to year. He's stable at t and g and has a bad game maybe once every few years.

You could make a strong case he's the best player on the roster.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
And he finished behind jason peters and Marshall yanda. My point is as long as you're getting average to above average play out of individual linemen, resources are best spent elsewhere.

Gotta lock up whitworth though

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

You really need to look into the Panthers. They are a newer franchise that was created in the 1995-1996 season. I started liking them when they expanded because I lived in central Cali and the Rams and Raiders have moved cities so there were no local teams (and no one should like the 49ers or Chargers from central Cali). I just was going into highschool and needed a team to like, and they drafted a guy named Julius Peppers early on who was an amazing DE.

The Panthers have always built their teams around defense and the running game. The current team is no difference Luke Kuechly is a beast and is the best MLB in football winning defensive rookie of the year and then the NFL D player of the year in back to back seasons. This is EXTREMELY rare. Madden agrees he is the best MLB in the game.

The Panthers are also one of the top rushing teams in the NFL, but they do it with style having Cam Newton and their full back (Mike Tolbert) run the ball. Mike Tolbert is a fat fullback that looks like a bowling ball and has some suprisingly dance moves.

The real star is Cam Newton, he makes these kind of plays all the time:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xVe2Cp2LxA

The run at 3:55 against the pats is amazing.
And you should know last year he had ankle surgery, broken ribs in the preseason and a very bad car wreck in which he fractured his back. The Panthers still won their division and a playoff game with a losing record.

And since you like interceptions you should get to know Josh Norman. Young player who is emerging as a top CB.

https://gfycat.com/LoathsomeSnappyBarracuda

The Panthers are one of 3 teams (SF, Seattle to have a top 10 defense for the last three years and should be very good again this year.

They are stacked with young talent and skill positions and are very exciting to watch. You should root for the Panthers. I'll leave you with their rookie WR they drafted last year.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnUzZq4E7B8

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...CFcRrPgodpR4LRw

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...CFcRrPgodpR4LRw

SpclKen fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 28, 2015

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So it's down to the Packers and Giants. I'm just reading up on both of their histories lately to try and help me separate them. Both of them tick a lot of the boxes I'm after:

- Good/Great and entertaining QB
- Great WR
- Defensive ability
- East coast team likely to be watchable each weekend at a reasonable time in the UK.

The history of both sides is very entertaining from reading about Favre's heroics to realizing how special Lawrence Taylor must have been to be the only defensive player to have won MVP in 30+ years. I watched a documentary of Favre recently that made me kinda like the whole Packers idea a bit more, he just seems pretty likable and surprisingly funny....but then so is Eli Manning so I'm kind of torn plus I like the idea of making excuses for my teams star player all year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Packers have one of the most annoying fanbases on Earth and actively made living in Milwaukee WAY, WAY worse, which I didn't think was possible.

If those are the options, I'd go Giants.

You've got the fun of having your franchised player blowing his fingers off, having at least one, if not two great receivers. You've got a Manning brother who is Tom Brady's actual arch-nemesis, and you will see them actively featured in the media as much as anyone, since they're in one of the largest markets on Earth.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
You will be a giants fan :colbert:

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Packers fans are annoying you should root for the Giants, a team who's fans are loving New Yorkers, famously the nicest most patient and least annoying people on earth.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Actually the Jets seem to soak up most of the super lovely ones.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

El Seano posted:

So it's down to the Packers and Giants. I'm just reading up on both of their histories lately to try and help me separate them. Both of them tick a lot of the boxes I'm after:

- Great WR
- Defensive ability
- East coast team likely to be watchable each weekend at a reasonable time in the UK.

The history of both sides is very entertaining from reading about Favre's heroics to realizing how special Lawrence Taylor must have been to be the only defensive player to have won MVP in 30+ years. I watched a documentary of Favre recently that made me kinda like the whole Packers idea a bit more, he just seems pretty likable and surprisingly funny....but then so is Eli Manning so I'm kind of torn plus I like the idea of making excuses for my teams star player all year.

Even though I'm an Eagles fan the Packer fanbase is so monolithic and annoying I cannot in good faith recommend picking them. Go with the Giants, you'll have fun watching ODB. Plus there will be more primetime games so the GDTs will hopefully be more fun for you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

Actually the Jets seem to soak up most of the super lovely ones.

Oh yeah, well gently caress YOU, BUDDY!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I guess if all you want to hear about is how "blue collar" everyone on the Packers is, and how they really "get" their fans and "relate" because they're all rust belt slaves who refuse to leave to cold tundra and gently caress you you aren't tough enough to be a fan here, you could be a Packers fan and tell everyone about how "no no it's super cool, I actually am an owner (kinda)" then be a Packers fan. Otherwise, be literally an anyone else fan.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Baseball and football are different

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chilichimp posted:

This gif alone is a reason to be a new york fan

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I was using it to make sure No Butt Stuff knew my post was a joke about New Yorkers, and not me be being rude as hell.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

I was using it to make sure No Butt Stuff knew my post was a joke about New Yorkers, and not me be being rude as hell.

I won't see your image until I get off work because imgur is evil at work.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

gently caress the Giants

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

gently caress the Giants

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Man, you can't just choose which team you root for like you're solving an equation. It would be like convincing yourself you've fallen in love with someone because they tick off all the necessary boxes for your ideal partner. You gotta feel that poo poo in your heart. It needs to be visceral.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

right, like when my Dad says "oh I just can't hate Peyton Manning" I channel all the hate he should be feeling into my heart and direct it at him because seriously gently caress Peyton Manning in a way that is beyond words.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

right, like when my Dad says "oh I just can't hate Peyton Manning" I channel all the hate he should be feeling into my heart and direct it at him because seriously gently caress Peyton Manning in a way that is beyond words.

Your dad is right though

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NC-17 posted:

Man, you can't just choose which team you root for like you're solving an equation. It would be like convincing yourself you've fallen in love with someone because they tick off all the necessary boxes for your ideal partner. You gotta feel that poo poo in your heart. It needs to be visceral.

Well, Giants fans are souless husks powered by two legitimate flukes, so it all works out then.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 6, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Exactly.

I think the OP has been going about this in the wrong direction, because in the world of sports, hatred is a much more powerful feeling than love. It's so easy to dislike other teams, especially their fans. He should be finding out which teams he really hates (tip: it should be most of them) , and working backwards from there to a couple of teams that he can stomach.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NC-17 posted:

I agree with this, except the way you choose the team to root for shouldn't be by who you love, but by who you hate. Find the team that sticks in your craw, the player you want to throw stale beer at, and the owner whose heart attack you dream of. Then cheer for their rival.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Your dad is right though

bud adams was a saint

e: doesn't feel so good does it

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Chichevache posted:

I agree with this, except the way you choose the team to root for shouldn't be by who you love, but by who you hate. Find the team that sticks in your craw, the player you want to throw stale beer at, and the owner whose heart attack you dream of. Then cheer for their rival.

So everyone is a stealth Jets fan then?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

So everyone is a stealth Jets fan then?

If you didn't cheer for the Ryan Jets when they played NE then you can gently caress right the hell off. :colbert:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

bud adams was a saint

e: doesn't feel so good does it

I have literally no feelings towards bud adams

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't know anything else about the Titans. Except about Steve McNair. And I can't besmirch him.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't know anything else about the Titans. Except about Steve McNair. And I can't besmirch him.

Eddie George

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

looks like a thumb

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Chichevache posted:

The eternal conflict of being a Ravens fan

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Bills fans hate them

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Be a packers fan because gently caress the giants.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The eternal conflict of being a Ravens fan

A good team for the spiteful fan. Your division rivals are evil incarnate, incompetence incarnate, and wannabe evil incarnate with a dash of self-defeating incompetence thrown in anyway.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guess if all you want to hear about is how "blue collar" everyone on the Packers is, and how they really "get" their fans and "relate" because they're all rust belt slaves who refuse to leave to cold tundra and gently caress you you aren't tough enough to be a fan here, you could be a Packers fan and tell everyone about how "no no it's super cool, I actually am an owner (kinda)" then be a Packers fan. Otherwise, be literally an anyone else fan.

You seem mad.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I got along much better with the Bears fans than with the Packers fans.

The only good thing about Wisconsin is New Glarus and my old neighbors.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Packers have no inside linebackers and their defensive linemen are all suspended. You don't want to root for that defense.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

El Seano posted:

- Great WR
- Defensive ability

lol @ picking any team that has won a Super Bowl recently

be a real man and root for a loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Lol if you think the Packers are an east coast team

• Locked thread