Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Still want to see shouldercharging a Graug to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Sindai posted:

The cutoff seemed to be around 20. Below that wraith flash just staggers orcs instead of stunning them, so it doesn't count for wraith burn's instant kill.

Fifteen, I think. Almost all abilities in the game that scale their power on hit streak hit their max at 15.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 23, 2015

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

At about 11 minutes in, hit streak is 18, a guy is on the ground, no kills. 15 can't be it.

e: Around 18:20, hit streak is exactly 20 when he does the second move, several uruk die.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 23, 2015

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

anilEhilated posted:

Still want to see shouldercharging a Graug to death.

It would be cool. Too bad the game's contextuality for it denies us the glory of Talion slaying the greatest of beasts with his ridiculous shoulder. 0/10 would not sink another 35+ hours into until I do.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Yeah, it's an hour and five minutes. I hardly remember making this video, but I had fun doing it, killing a bunch of random captains and finishing up the first half of the outcast missions. If you ever wanted to see a band of outcasts beat a captain to death this is your one stop shop.

So I'm still wondering if people would be willing to sit through another gap between episodes while I grab some co-commentators for the last few story missions? I have some ideas, but didn't plan for anyone at this point because, well, I sort of wanted to finish the LP. I honestly didn't think it would take this long (and most of that is my fault anyways), but I realized I'm just not going to get this done before I leave on vacation no matter what and now a second gap in episodes doesn't seem that bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Everyone should at least watch the last mission in 41. It has a pretty great ending.

A gap is fine.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Yeah, I was the one who had to do all the optional stuff before any of the story missions. Which meant stabbing a Graug to death.

On the other hand, it spaced out the Outcast and Legend missions, so aside from the huge bit of roaming around picking up shinies before the first mission, the game was pretty well-paced. :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Edward_Tohr posted:

Yeah, I was the one who had to do all the optional stuff before any of the story missions. Which meant stabbing a Graug to death.

On the other hand, it spaced out the Outcast and Legend missions, so aside from the huge bit of roaming around picking up shinies before the first mission, the game was pretty well-paced. :v:

This was me on my first playthrough. I would just drop any orc that got in my way, regardless of level or captain status as I gathered every collectible and did every side task. I actually got really frustrated with the game when I still couldn't brand orcs and just played the story until I could then went straight back to what I was doing before but in the new map.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
If you're taking volunteers, I'm all for Orc Chat 2015.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dooky Dingo posted:

If you're taking volunteers, I'm all for Orc Chat 2015.

I actually had people in mind for these. Depending on how long the outcast stuff takes to finish up I may need more people.

Edit: VVVV I used the shoulder charge plenty VVVV

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 25, 2015

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"Hey, I got this cool ability that lets me execute tons of orcs. [...] Hey this huge fight is taking forever, time to keep dodging around and not use my super murder power :v:"

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Wait, didn't we already have a "Muggrish the Wise" before? Wasn't he one of Warchief Ushgol the first's explosive arrow bodyguards? Seems like he survived and took up melee combat after we dealt with him. Too bad that didn't save him, heh.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

As promised, guests will be appearing in the last few episodes of the LP. We're kicking things off with SubponticatePoster who happens to be running a Dragon Age: Inquisition LP that I'm quite fond of and did a guest commentary on a video for right after this one was done. You should go watch that LP.

Hey, remember like 40 videos ago where there were these three big bad guys who killed Talion's family? remember like 20 videos ago where we killed one of them? Yeah, welcome to the [b]third time[/url] we even see any of them in the entire game. And he's there for a minute because we are going to fight him in the next video. On one hand, I appreciate the game letting you chase down orcs and all, but if you are going to give Talion a motivation for doing all the orc-chasing you may as well remind us with less than an hour of game time remaining that his family done got sacrificed. When I first played the game it had been so long since I saw the Tower that I forgot he looked like that/that he was in the game. Seeing one of our long lost bad guys isn't the only attraction here. We also get to see the first (probably only) Riot event of the LP. We got a really cool weather condition for it as well.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
If I remember right, what happens with the Ghul Matrons is that, when ghuls successfully get away, they'll trigger another wave. The waves get progressively larger, and in about the third or forth wave, you'll start to encounter matrons mixed in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Not in any way related to Shadow of Mordor (I am gonna be showing up in Episode 44 though :wave:), but Lazyfire's Wolfenstein: The New Order LP is up on the LP Archive now.

Yay Lazyfire!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The problem with ghuls is that they don't really make much sense in a game like this. Lots of small, easily killable enemies make sense when the things you do don't change a whole lot, like in an fps or an arpg where you're more or less just clicking on enemies. This game is set up too personally for that, though. It's about manoeuvring around smaller fights and mixing your skills up to deal with varieties of enemies, as evidenced by the nemesis system, so a bit where every enemy is the same and almost everything you can do is overkill doesn't really fit. It's the wrong kind of power fantasy for that.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

The problem with ghuls is that they don't really make much sense in a game like this. Lots of small, easily killable enemies make sense when the things you do don't change a whole lot, like in an fps or an arpg where you're more or less just clicking on enemies. This game is set up too personally for that, though. It's about manoeuvring around smaller fights and mixing your skills up to deal with varieties of enemies, as evidenced by the nemesis system, so a bit where every enemy is the same and almost everything you can do is overkill doesn't really fit. It's the wrong kind of power fantasy for that.

Not to mention they only really come in two flavors: So laughably easy to kill that they might as well have not bothered, and with gimmicks so annoying to deal with that nobody ever wants to.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's no reliable way to summon them outside of that one DLC Beastmaster pack too, so there's not much point to the "Fear of ghuls" trait some orcs get.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All the more reason to think the Beastmaster abilities should've been in the main game in the first place.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
The DLC often feels as the developers acknowledgements of the main game's problems. The Beastmaster's story gives you reliable ways to bring out graugs and ghuls while the brightmaster's DLC removes a lot of crutches such as the LONG slow down period with the bow and the fact that you can no longer just vault around everything. Hope to see them both after you've finished the main game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If anyone is looking for it, the game of the year edition of Shadow of Mordor is on sale on Steam for the next few hours for 50% off. I would have mentioned this earlier, but vacation. Speaking of, I don't know when the next episode is going up right now, it depends on schedules aligning. I have the last episode set to go so there will probably be a day between the penultimate and final episodes. Then it's just finishing up Outcast stuff, which is a whatever task. I've been playing this game for something like 4 months now, holy poo poo.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

If anyone is looking for it, the game of the year edition of Shadow of Mordor is on sale on Steam for the next few hours for 50% off. I would have mentioned this earlier, but vacation. Speaking of, I don't know when the next episode is going up right now, it depends on schedules aligning. I have the last episode set to go so there will probably be a day between the penultimate and final episodes. Then it's just finishing up Outcast stuff, which is a whatever task. I've been playing this game for something like 4 months now, holy poo poo.

the non-GOTY version is still on sale as a Bundle on Bundlestars for 20 bucks. I have the Bundlestars pack, and it seems to have all the things the GOTY has right now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This episode features dscruffy1, who is currently doing an LP of The Evil Within. Needless to say, you should go check that out. Maybe come back here after mainlining those and watch these videos as well.

You know what's annoying and I'll endlessly bitch about with the end of this game? Your supposed to give a gently caress about Talion's mission to avenge his family. You know how long it's been since that was even a part of the plot? Their last mention was seriously all the way back at the end of the dwarf guy's quest (I have literally forgotten his name at this point because it has been that long). Not only do they expect you to still give a gently caress about that, but they expect you to give enough of a gently caress to make the boss battle in this episode seem like it matters. It feels like all the effort went into making the orcs fun to fight and then wrapping up the story was a secondary or even tertiary objective of the development team. Let's face it, no one was playing this game for the story to begin with, so at the end of the day it may not matter to most people, but you have to give people a compelling reason to see more of your content and set pieces than tidbits of story.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I do love how Talion and Celebrimbor resolve their little spat.

"You're only using me to kill the Black Hand!"
"Yes. Because you also want him dead."
"Oh yeah...."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Edward_Tohr posted:

I do love how Talion and Celebrimbor resolve their little spat.

"You're only using me to kill the Black Hand!"
"Yes. Because you also want him dead."
"Oh yeah...."

Gotta leave some drama for the required-by-WB-Law DLC.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's awfully hard to be too worried about the inter-party drama when the enemy is literally a giant flaming eyeball of purest malevolence and its infinite army of monsters bred only for war. Whatever Talion and ghost buddy's faults it's not like either is going to ever consider joining the other side.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the reaction there should really have been our dynamic duo looking at each other and starting to laugh incontrollably.
That being said, the final sequences actually play pretty good; open world games often have the problem of making boss fights interesting and these, while not exactly challenging, sure feel epic.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nine-Gear Crow and Poorlywrittennovel were kind enough to put up with the last story video in the LP. And what an ending to the story we got. I keep on harping about how little we see the major bad guys in this game, forgetting, of course, that Wolfenstein: The New Order, which is a really fantastic game with a great story pulled the exact same trick. You only see Deathshead at the very start and the very end of the game. So why does TNO get a pass while SoM doesn't? because every single thing you do in TNO is about bringing down Deathshead and the Nazis. If it isn't, it only reminds you why you are trying to bring them down. In SoM you spend a ton of time with no direction or even motivation to take down the Black Hand. The developers knew the orcs were the stars of the game and that you would have fonder memories of them and what they did to you than any character they made. I'd have been happier if you had to face down a million orcs with a ton of captains thrown in at the end and then fought the Black Hand one on one than what we got.

We're not quite done with the game yet, I still have outcast missions to finish, but those will take two videos max.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

I will always hold that the reason Talion is afraid of getting killed even though he's immortal is because he doesn't want to have to watch all those cutscenes again. :v:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wow. That end really SUCKED. "Here's your ULTIMATE boss fight -- three quick-time events and some incoherent babble. BYEEE!"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edward_Tohr posted:

I will always hold that the reason Talion is afraid of getting killed even though he's immortal is because he doesn't want to have to watch all those cutscenes again. :v:

He knew it would mess up his carefully curated board of orc captains and he is NOT going to grind Bugbush the Offal through fourteen hunts and executions just so he can have another full suite of warchiefs with torch hats.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I always assumed it was because dying hurts like hell :shrug:

Or he doesn't want to end up like Celebrimbor, who's living proof that you can get every piece cut off your body and then some.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
DLC campaigns when?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Neige posted:

DLC campaigns when?

Never. I didn't buy them and really just got burned out on the game after doing the LP, even though I had fun with it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A pity, but I can understand why.

The Bright Lord has an actual proper final boss fight, for what it's worth, one where the mechanics of the game overall are emphasized.

It's against Sauron himself, and he has the power to negate your brainwashing of orc chieftans. You go to battle with him and your brainwashed retinue, and he turns them all against you. You need to think FAST to get out of that pickle.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Well that was disappointing!

You know what could really use the nemesis system? A Fallout game set in Arizona wherein you must do in/brainwash Caesar's Legion captains to get at Caesar himself. The story would be much better I guarantee. Maybe instead of Face Groping Simulator 2014 you have to research each captain's weakness before breaking him in your torture chamber! It's like being able to be Sauron and the Good Guy all at once!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The brainwashing would be very useful in a cyberpunk setting. You just pull an AV cable out of your head and grab an enemy and jam your cable into his skull-socket and convert his brain with a virus or something.

If an enemy survives he comes back AS A CYBORG!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Well that was disappointing!

You know what could really use the nemesis system? A Fallout game set in Arizona wherein you must do in/brainwash Caesar's Legion captains to get at Caesar himself. The story would be much better I guarantee. Maybe instead of Face Groping Simulator 2014 you have to research each captain's weakness before breaking him in your torture chamber! It's like being able to be Sauron and the Good Guy all at once!

Then who'd your character be? NCR are too 'MURICAN to torture,maybe Enclave or Brotherhood remnants?

Anyhow,my idea for a game using the Nemesis System would be Gundam . Hear me out- mooks who either fend you off or survive an encounter with you (or beat you) become aces and get cool custom robots,maybe even special snowflake high-performance units for the guys who last the longest. And the whole mind-loving thing would be some kinda Newtype bullshit. I know it's dumb,but that could be a cool concept,maybe just done with some alternate timeline so fans don't get uppity about the continuity.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Didn't Sirocco do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Ghostwoods posted:

Wow. That end really SUCKED. "Here's your ULTIMATE boss fight -- three quick-time events and some incoherent babble. BYEEE!"

I will point out, you had three boss fights, and each one focused on one of the three elements of gameplay in the game: One free-combat, one stealth, and one QTE. That doesn't, you know...excuse it or anything, but it's there.

• Locked thread