Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

These need more love.

A BEAUTIFUL SHOT BY BACONFOXALPHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rynex posted:

Tonight I played some games with some fellow Goons on the CTS mumble. A friend of mine (phr33ky) who does shout casts for a lot of games, including Tribes:Ascend was also around and said he needed practice shout casting... so I gave him a few of the games we played tonight. Here they are. His experience with the controls for casting was tough for him at first, but he figured it out by the second video. This means that the first video is pretty much a failed attempt. He's looking to cast games in the future also so any criticism is nice.EDIT:11:47 PM - ibn-phr33ky: Don't bother =p it's pretty rough, haven't casted in like 7-8 months. Nevermind then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVHq7WpGcP0

Oh and, for the record, I'm Sweet JP in these games.
This video was off the wall.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Rynex posted:

Tonight I played some games with some fellow Goons on the CTS mumble. A friend of mine (phr33ky) who does shout casts for a lot of games, including Tribes:Ascend was also around and said he needed practice shout casting... so I gave him a few of the games we played tonight. Here they are. His experience with the controls for casting was tough for him at first, but he figured it out by the second video. This means that the first video is pretty much a failed attempt. He's looking to cast games in the future also so any criticism is nice.EDIT:11:47 PM - ibn-phr33ky: Don't bother =p it's pretty rough, haven't casted in like 7-8 months. Nevermind then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZx94_MyGAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVHq7WpGcP0

Oh and, for the record, I'm Sweet JP in these games.

"Shine doing backflips in the goal" :downs:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I love that "shoutcasting" (the term) is still a thing today.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 7, 2015

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Last second bicycle kick save, I was feeling pretty cool during overtime until we lost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbmcYC7PkM

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Can you not simply switch between player perspectives in spectator mode? I can't stand the camera like that.

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
Why did I buy this I knew exactly what I was getting in to here.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

a cop posted:

Can you not simply switch between player perspectives in spectator mode? I can't stand the camera like that.

You can, but I only think it cycles one way all the way through. Would be impossible to follow the ball like that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

boz posted:

You can, but I only think it cycles one way all the way through. Would be impossible to follow the ball like that.

Not if most players were using ball cam, or simply looking at the ball (as they should be).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Man it is straight impossible to get the ball past a good keeper, last game against one I had like seven shots on goal that he blocked, and of course my team was useless and he kept trash talking me with stuff like "easy" and "learn to goalie" and it was horrible :(

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Become a pest. If their keeper seems unsurmountable, hang around his goal and bully him incessantly. Support your team where neccesary, but if you can ruin his concentration and make him have to worry about focusing on two fronts (The ball and yourself) then you can really open the goal back up.

We have an amazing keeper on my team and most players at the higher levels have someone harassing him, it makes it incredibly difficult for him to just sit there and wait for the ball.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

So the common wisdom on kickoff seems to be that if you start in the middle-middle spot (furthest back) you are defacto defenseman, but that is the only middle position that can actually boost all the way to the ball. Wouldn't it make more sense for either middle-left or middle-right to stay back and play defense? Maybe this is something that happens more above the super retard level where I am ranked, but it drives me crazy starting mid-mid and watching someone at mid-left or right trying to get the extra boost, way over-correcting, and we just have one guy at the point of contact.

This game owns, I'm bad, hail satan.

you don't need to boost all the way to the ball, the boost you start with + a forward jump/flip will get you up to max speed.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Got my first hacking accusation last night. I guess that means I'm improving :)

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone using a PS3 controller? I'm trying to transition from keyboard to gamepad and the default controls just don't seem to work for me. Anyone want to chime in on button mapping, or should I just get used to it?

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

blk96gt posted:

Anyone using a PS3 controller? I'm trying to transition from keyboard to gamepad and the default controls just don't seem to work for me. Anyone want to chime in on button mapping, or should I just get used to it?

Assuming default gamepad controls are pretty close to the PS4 ones, I'd recommend putting boost and handbrake on the shoulder buttons and keep gas and brake on the triggers. Are you able to use L3 and R3 as commands too? If you can, add the ball cam toggle to L3.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Auxiliary Treats posted:

Assuming default gamepad controls are pretty close to the PS4 ones, I'd recommend putting boost and handbrake on the shoulder buttons and keep gas and brake on the triggers. Are you able to use L3 and R3 as commands too? If you can, add the ball cam toggle to L3.

I did this. I think it works very well. Much better than the default controls.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://www.shirtpunch.com/designs/details/rekt-it-league

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I am legitimately surprised at all the people switching boost and handbrake to the shoulder buttons. default control scheme doesn't seem like an issue. I tried doing it too, just to see if it was really better and I couldn't even play that way and switched back immediately.

different strokes, I guess

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

a cop posted:

You can; it was a directorial choice :colbert:

That particular save didn't look very good from my perspective though, I wasn't even sure until the replay that it was me that blocked it, though it wasn't a fluke I was really trying hard to save it like that.

edit: I would like to see a follow the ball option on replays

edit2: ^^ I tried handbrake on shoulder button and hated it, but you can't roll midair and boost at the same time unless you've already jumped a second time because you're gonna hit A with your fat thumb trying it, but I haven't bothered changing it because I'm used to handbrake being X now

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 7, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I am legitimately surprised at all the people switching boost and handbrake to the shoulder buttons. default control scheme doesn't seem like an issue. I tried doing it too, just to see if it was really better and I couldn't even play that way and switched back immediately.

different strokes, I guess

The only real problem I see is you can't boost + handbrake with the default controls. Moving boost to L1 lets you do that and you don't even have to use two fingers on the trigger/shoulder because you would never boost while braking anyway. I don't see much point in moving boost to R1 unless you use the camera stick a lot.

That said, I'm pretty used to the default controls now so I haven't made the switch.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Had a Ranked Standard match that started with my team only having 2 people, then went to 3-1, then was (thankfully) just 2-1. Managed to win.

Had a Ranked Doubles match start with just me on my team, managed to win that one as well.

I like playing ranked, but gently caress starting a match with less people on one team.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I switched around the face buttons on mine so that X is boost, O is handbrake, and square is jump, which as close to other driving games with boosting as I can get it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Orange Mage posted:

I switched around the face buttons on mine so that X is boost, O is handbrake, and square is jump, which as close to other driving games with boosting as I can get it.

I moved boost to L1, everything else is stock, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Did you make that? It's wonderful!

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Got my first hacking accusation last night. I guess that means I'm improving :)

What? Do people seriously cheat in this game? How? Controlling the ball?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

wa27 posted:

The only real problem I see is you can't boost + handbrake with the default controls. Moving boost to L1 lets you do that and you don't even have to use two fingers on the trigger/shoulder because you would never boost while braking anyway. I don't see much point in moving boost to R1 unless you use the camera stick a lot.

That said, I'm pretty used to the default controls now so I haven't made the switch.

Yeah I moved boost to L1 so I could boost and handbrake at the same time and left everything else the same and it works well.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

DrGreatJob posted:

What? Do people seriously cheat in this game? How? Controlling the ball?

There was a method of messing with the position of the ball/car, but it has since been patched. I don't think there are any working cheats out there at the moment.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nate405 posted:

There was a method of messing with the position of the ball/car, but it has since been patched. I don't think there are any working cheats out there at the moment.

Hahaha I missed this, that's some Harry Potter poo poo.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

Holy poo poo, that guy is terrible at that. Still pretty funny.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lumpy posted:

I moved boost to L1, everything else is stock, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Did you make that? It's wonderful!

No. I just found it. :)

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

a cop posted:

Yeah, but you need a camera man to do all that work. Trying to shoutcast and do camera work at the same time is a huge effort. phr33ky's a loving pro at doing both so he wanted to start practicing casting Rocket League, then became infuriated at how hosed up it was. He usually sends feedback to developers to help improve spectator modes in games.

wa27 posted:

I love that "shoutcasting" (the term) is still a thing today.

It will forever be a thing and if you're looking to get into it, there's people who are more than ready to give you advice and help you. I've tried doing it before, it's fun and not as hard as it might seem.

Shine posted:

"Shine doing backflips in the goal" :downs:

You're a tremendously good goalie dude (for a fat ice cream truck who struggles at self-righting.)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The most frustrating way to lose isn't getting absolutely creamed by enemies who nail shot after shot, it's the following:

• A team that fails to forcefully clear the ball, or clears it only to not pursue and the other team lobs it back over.
  • A team that gets the ball to the other team's side, moves it around a bit, and then utterly collapses as the other team steals and scores in a few seconds.
  • A game where the enemy team can play all three cars forward yet never have a problem on defense, while the moment your team attempts this you get schooled.

At least the getting Globetrotted on can be entertaining. Losing because your team is subtly incompetent isn't.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

The Orange Mage posted:

The most frustrating way to lose isn't getting absolutely creamed by enemies who nail shot after shot, it's the following:

• A team that fails to forcefully clear the ball, or clears it only to not pursue and the other team lobs it back over.
  • A team that gets the ball to the other team's side, moves it around a bit, and then utterly collapses as the other team steals and scores in a few seconds.
  • A game where the enemy team can play all three cars forward yet never have a problem on defense, while the moment your team attempts this you get schooled.

At least the getting Globetrotted on can be entertaining. Losing because your team is subtly incompetent isn't.

I play with some IRL mates and the worst thing for me is the slow little weak nudges they give the ball. I have one mate who repeatedly drives it up the wing then shouts "Center!" before tumbleweeding it along the ground at about 10 km/h into 2 waiting defenders. Unless a cross is at least a bit tough to deal with you're practically clearing it yourself man, gently caress. I'm too much of a pussy to say this though because I don't wanna be the serious business guy. Basically out of 5 of us only one other guy is actually pretty good. I was playing chaos there in a team without that guy and we barely made a chance about 5 games in a row. This is literally straight off the back of me beating the all star cpu 12-1 1v1.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

To be fair, the All-Star CPU is incompetent in 1v1. It seems like it still plays as if it has a team mate and does goofy poo poo like center the ball and ignore it, score own-goals, and I've even let a ball roll very slowly into it's goal while it goes and collects a 100-boost from the other side of the field.

EDIT:

Well, that was fuckin' chaos on CTS tonight.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 8, 2015

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

yo, my normal dudes are out and i'm looking to rage on some fools. psn: the_bunkster
e: party chat is a plus

Fafenefenoiby
Aug 18, 2005

LEPROSY
Are there any Oceania PS4 goons playing regularly? Playing with pubbies is :suicide:

PSN: Spiritek

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Finally got around to chopping up some recordings:

Some nice slime van shots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2YKTL0QJk

I'm starting to capitalize on weak clears and take advantage of out of position players/open net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9LlXIifKGk

After playing merc exclusively since Rocket League launched I've decided to switch it up for some of the more low profile cars. I know the hit boxes are slightly different, and It seemed to make an immediate difference in how the car made contact with the ball. Also, my first sort of aerial!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhFY4FCuHTE

This was the worst I've ever seen the lag in this game. Normally the servers just seem to spike for short durations, but this lasted the whole match. It was incredibly frustrating, but kind of funny too so I stuck around. I just keeps getting worse as the vid goes on... its pretty funny watching everyone flail for the ball as it creeps into the goal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7FxE-z5Pr4

Funny long range chip shot (at the end)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMFo6791KqA

Starts with an epic save, ends with me flailing to make an open net shot and putting it away on the third try.... felt like one of those guys trying to make an easy open lay up and can't put it in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIzRGZyRMc

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Payday was yesterday, decided to blow $20 on this game. Definitely don't regret it, this is fun as hell! I need to get a music playlist going though, no music during the matches just seems like a missed opportunity.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I mis-judged how long my buddy would be peeing / how long it would take to be matched, so he got booted from a 2v2 ranked game for inactivity. Didn't want to leave and get the 15 mins, so I played 1v2 for the first time... and won 3-2. :feelsgood:

This is largely a result of the two guys on the other team getting in each other's way constantly (GOTTA TOUCH THE BALL!!) but I was patient and capitalized on their mistakes and minimized mine (mostly.)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
man, it is hard to break out of the upper 700s. seems like I've been there forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

CloFan posted:

Payday was yesterday, decided to blow $20 on this game. Definitely don't regret it, this is fun as hell! I need to get a music playlist going though, no music during the matches just seems like a missed opportunity.

You can use Spotify to stream the entire Rocket League soundtrack (just search for Rocket League and scroll right until you see it under albums) and it compliments the game really well.