Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

How can these companies afford to have zero QC? Do enough customers see the dead pixels they just spent several hundred dollars on and say "good 'nuff"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

CopperHound posted:

How can these companies afford to have zero QC? Do enough customers see the dead pixels they just spent several hundred dollars on and say "good 'nuff"?

I'd say definitely. Never underestimate peoples potential to make due because of laziness. Luckily they got a bit better with later ones because I managed to get one without defects first try.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Recent batches have perfectly good QC. It was only hairy right on release which isn't too strange considering it is was the first of its kind.

The PG278Q from thread favourite Asus had similar issues if not worse for a long time release, and it was another first of its kind.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

kojicolnair posted:

Never underestimate peoples potential to make due because of laziness.
This, and the fact that they really have no other choice. If you want a GSync 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor, it's the XB270HU or literally nothing right now. As soon as someone else releases something comparable, expect the recommendations to immediately shift. Acer has been trying (sorta) to improve their reputation lately, but they're still pretty drat far down the list.

e; the fun part is there's literally a $350 difference on Amazon right now between the XB270HU (GSync) and the XG270HU (FreeSync). Talk about the benefits of a monopoly.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 7, 2015

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

DrDork posted:

This, and the fact that they really have no other choice. If you want a GSync 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor, it's the XB270HU or literally nothing right now. As soon as someone else releases something comparable, expect the recommendations to immediately shift. Acer has been trying (sorta) to improve their reputation lately, but they're still pretty drat far down the list.

e; the fun part is there's literally a $350 difference on Amazon right now between the XB270HU (GSync) and the XG270HU (FreeSync). Talk about the benefits of a monopoly.

Is GSync that much of a game changer?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bruxism posted:

Is GSync that much of a game changer?

In that if you're using a NVidia card, you're locked out from FreeSync...yeah, it can be. It's hella nice if you're not running a 980Ti or SLI; basically any time you're in the 40-120ish FSP range it should make things smoother.

The counter to that is you can take the $350 difference and probably buy enough of a GPU upgrade to push yourself high enough on the FPS chart where GSync loses a lot of its luster, but that should change over the next few months as GSync monitor prices start to come down.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

The XG270HU is TN so it isn't really comparable at all.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is it common to develop new stuck pixels a few weeks into use? Updated xb270hu trip report: I now have 2 stuck pixels

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

Is it common to develop new stuck pixels a few weeks into use? Updated xb270hu trip report: I now have 2 stuck pixels

I've definitely heard it happen when I researched the xb270hu, usually within the first month. None on mine so far but I've only had it a few days.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ranter posted:

I've seen it happen before, especially a few years back when IPS was a new thing. I'd RMA it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't think I can RMA it for 2 pixels, right? It has to be > a defined number?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

The XG270HU is TN so it isn't really comparable at all.

Ah, didn't catch that. Still, the MG279Q is $540, so it's still a $260 difference, which is almost enough to take you from a 970 to a 980Ti.

Ranter posted:

I don't think I can RMA it for 2 pixels, right? It has to be > a defined number?

According to Acer's dead pixel policy it has to be a stupid high number. That said, a lot of people have been able to get remedy even though they've been well under the written limit, due to Acer wanting to up their image and it being a loving $800 monitor. Can't hurt to call and try.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They're on the extreme right and bottom of my monitor, I feel like I'd be gambling with another monitor with even worse dead pixels and then they start ignoring me for the second RMA.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ranter posted:

I had two stuck pixels vanish on mine! (Not that that helps.)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ranter posted:

They're on the extreme right and bottom of my monitor, I feel like I'd be gambling with another monitor with even worse dead pixels and then they start ignoring me for the second RMA.

iirc, I remember people can "rub" out stuck pixels sometimes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Etrips posted:

iirc, I remember people can "rub" out stuck pixels sometimes.

I've had success on three different older monitors (two 2005FPWs and some unknown 19" non-wide) by just opening something that flickers through the colors and putting it under the pixels in question. I'm sure there are programs specifically for this, but I've always just used rgb.swf (google it and mute your sound, don't use if you have epilepsy).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah I tried this http://www.jscreenfix.com/ and it didn't work

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
So I just got an Acer XB270HU, is there any way for me to use HDMI for it? Or can I only use my PC for this monitor? I wanna hook my PS4 up to it as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tyrelhill posted:

So I just got an Acer XB270HU, is there any way for me to use HDMI for it? Or can I only use my PC for this monitor? I wanna hook my PS4 up to it as well.

It's a gsync monitor and thus only has 1 input, which is display port. There is no way to use HDMI as it doesn't exist on this monitor.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

KakerMix posted:

It's a gsync monitor and thus only has 1 input, which is display port. There is no way to use HDMI as it doesn't exist on this monitor.

An HDMI to displayport adapter?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Yossarian posted:

An HDMI to displayport adapter?

Theoretically, but pricey, hard to find, and potentially might add a frame or two of lag, plus you'd then have to be switching cables around if you don't also spend money on a DisplayPort switch.

To get the level of convenience you'd have from a monitor with native inputs you'd end up spending an extra $150 or so it looks like between the adapter and switch.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought HDMI couldn't handle 144hz.

edit: oh PS4.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Well his question WAS "is there any way?" not, is there any cheap way and the answer is yes, you can get an adapter but they aren't cheap necessarily

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Yeah its no worries, I was just wondering if there was just some cheap cable I could buy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cable Matters® Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDTV Cable 6 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xjNXvb965FXY4

I understand that $12 might be out of reach for some of us but drat....

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Wrong direction, read the details.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

tyrelhill posted:

There are newer 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync monitors with a native HDMI port built in coming out probably late this year but you got the Acer already so :whitewater:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

I'd look at the power supply brick itself having gone bad. Plenty of people report issues there, and yours may no longer be producing the amperage needed to start things up, so the panel stays stuck in it's low power sleep state.

I don't know how replaceable they are, though.

Josh Lyman posted:

We tested the output on the AC adapter with a multimeter and it was doing the rated 24V, but you're right, it might still be failing. Ordered a replacement off Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/151636501770 with same voltage/current/polarity as my current power brick. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I'm out $20. Best case scenario, I save the $300 to buy a replacement monitor.
As a follow-up, the replacement power supply arrived today and when I plug it into the monitor, it shuts off, so it's almost certainly a short. Unfortunately, as the photos showed, there isn't any obvious physical damage.

Josh Lyman posted:

It looks like the PCBank 27" 1440p Korean monitor I got 3 years ago finally died. The screen took on a green tint, then I fiddled around with some stuff, and now it doesn't get any signal. When I turn it on, the power LED is momentarily green then sits on red, the same as when it's in standby.

I took it apart to see if there was an electrical short since the DVI cable would sometimes spark when grounded. No obvious damage; I tried Googling for the PCBs but no luck.

I still have my secondary 1080p monitor at the moment, but it feels incredibly claustrophobic. What's an affordable 27" 1440p replacement?
:sigh: $300 for a replacement monitor it is.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Dell's u3415w 34" curved ultrawide arrived at my door last Tuesday. I've had a hard time pulling myself away from it to go to work, see my wife, eat food, sleep, etc. It is amazing, and I recommend it to anyone who might have the means but isn't sure about pulling the trigger.

The speakers suck. Everything else about it is the opposite of suck. I would recommend finding the best price you can and getting Dell to pricematch, too, so you get the benefit of their warranties, etc.

Here look at my somewhat messy desktop with it dominating the landscape while I play WoW like I'm actually inside the goddamn game

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

skylined! posted:

Dell's u3415w 34" curved ultrawide arrived at my door last Tuesday. I've had a hard time pulling myself away from it to go to work, see my wife, eat food, sleep, etc. It is amazing, and I recommend it to anyone who might have the means but isn't sure about pulling the trigger.

The speakers suck. Everything else about it is the opposite of suck. I would recommend finding the best price you can and getting Dell to pricematch, too, so you get the benefit of their warranties, etc.

Here look at my somewhat messy desktop with it dominating the landscape while I play WoW like I'm actually inside the goddamn game

Grr, I had just almost decided to buy the UltraSharp U2715H (27") and now you made me uncertain again. Price difference here is 3500NOK (~400 USD), just need to convince myself that it's worth it ...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As a follow-up, if anyone wants to buy my Korean monitor to harvest for parts, hit me up. I'll sell it for $25 + shipping.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 9, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is micro center known for having well priced monitors? I'm moving close to one soon

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Microcenter tends to have deals on 1 or 3 monitors to get you into the store and buy more stuff, which usually works BTW, and the others monitors are all over the place on price. Wait for a deal on a monitor you want, bring only enough cash, and leave the credit cards at home would be my advice.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

tazjin posted:

Grr, I had just almost decided to buy the UltraSharp U2715H (27") and now you made me uncertain again. Price difference here is 3500NOK (~400 USD), just need to convince myself that it's worth it ...

If it helps, before I made the switch I had a TopSync 2560x1440 27" and I loved it - and I got it for $175 on eBay. After the Dell arrived, I sold it for $180 after 6 months of use.

It was worth it. All of it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

skylined! posted:

If it helps, before I made the switch I had a TopSync 2560x1440 27" and I loved it - and I got it for $175 on eBay. After the Dell arrived, I sold it for $180 after 6 months of use.

It was worth it. All of it.

I got the exact same Topsync monitor and it really is fantastic for the money. Probably the best tech buy I've made

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I have a update urge and graphics/monitor are looking like the target. The monitor is an LG (TN 1680x1050) from 2008 that I bought so that I could hook up a ps3 to it more than anything else and since then I built a computer with a 1g 7850 hd. Everything runs fine but I recently got a retina mbp so things look pretty lovely in comparison.

I'm looking to spend about a grand CAD all at once or breaking it up over a couple months and spending more. Majority of use will be gaming, dota at the moment but I'll be installing mordor, ground zeros and gta 5 soon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This is my first time looking for a 120/144Hz monitor and would like to know how games play differently compared to a 60Hz monitor? I am going to replace my computer, but I don't know how switching from a 60Hz to a 120/144Hz monitor would have on a GPU compared to having a resolution change from 1200p to 1440p.

Are there any recommended monitors with a 2560x1440 resolution running at 120/144Hz or are they just the years old posts in the OP? I am not sure how fast new models of monitors come out.

Thanks to the thread for recommending me this monitor from years ago.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 9, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MasterBuilder posted:

So I have a update urge and graphics/monitor are looking like the target. The monitor is an LG (TN 1680x1050) from 2008 that I bought so that I could hook up a ps3 to it more than anything else and since then I built a computer with a 1g 7850 hd. Everything runs fine but I recently got a retina mbp so things look pretty lovely in comparison.

I'm looking to spend about a grand CAD all at once or breaking it up over a couple months and spending more. Majority of use will be gaming, dota at the moment but I'll be installing mordor, ground zeros and gta 5 soon.

What is your price range for just the monitor? What size and resolution do you want? What are you planning to connect to the monitor, anything aside from the PC?

Scalding Coffee posted:

This is my first time looking for a 120/144Hz monitor and would like to know how games play differently compared to a 60Hz monitor? I am going to replace my computer, but I don't know how switching from a 60Hz to a 120/144Hz monitor would have on a GPU compared to having a resolution change from 1200p to 1440p.

Are there any recommended monitors with a 2560x1440 resolution running at 120/144Hz or are they just the years old posts in the OP? I am not sure how fast new models of monitors come out.

Thanks to the thread for recommending me this monitor from years ago.

Well, you won't see as much motion blur on a higher refresh rate monitor, objects in motion will be sharper and movement will appear smoother. As for GPUs you want one that is powerful enough to push out frames at the higher refresh rates, if you play low spec games like CS then plenty of video cards can do this, if you play more modern stuff then you need a lot of GPU to get high frame rates, especially at 1440p.

This brings us to GSync and FreeSync, these technologies let the monitor match it's refresh rate to the frame rate of the game you are playing. For instance if the game is getting 96 FPS the monitor will match that with a 96Hz refresh, this prevents the slowdowns that happen when you have vsync enabled and the game falls below the monitors maximum refresh rate and also prevents the screen tearing that happens if you leave vsync off. For GSync you want the Acer XB270HU and a Nvidia video card, for FreeSync and AMD cards the Asus MG279Q is the way to go.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thank you. That looks exactly what I wanted, as I will be staring at it for most of my downtime. The GPU thread said a 970 is good enough for the size and I plan on overclocking the card a lot, as my 660ti is lagging behind. Not like I need to play The Phantom Pain at 96 FPS.

What are the usual US sellers to look for monitors besides Newegg and Amazon? I don't see them in the OP.

Can I hook up that or my current monitor to each other with a simple cable connection or is it more complicated? Might as well get more mileage out of the new GPU.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Just yesterday became an ultrawide evangelist. I picked up the Samsung 1440p ultrawide and even after a few hours of gaming would never ever go back to 16:9. I'm not a super twitchy pro gamer so 60hz is fine by me and lets me crank games up to full spec and still stay smooth with vsync. But goddamn everything looks and plays amazing with this thing. Oh and for productivity it's alright too I guess.