Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Ben Kasack posted:

I'm only a little surprised you didn't make an attempt on the Angle Statue. The game literally saved moments before, so it's not like you were gonna lose any progress if it turned out to be a trap. Maybe you didn't notice the game saved?

Whatever the case, I am enjoying this still and eagerly await the next episode cause if it is anything like you've alluded to, then hoo boy, I don't want to miss it.

The trick with that one is that the room has a brain jar as well which you see when you turn around from getting the statue key (it's in the corner opposite of the statue, so you'd only know about it after entering). You only have just enough time to get the key and get out. Going for the jar is certain death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved your reaction to that tripwire ruining your stealth approach at the very beginning of the giant fun room. Blind is the best way to LP this game.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

RealSovietBear posted:

The trick with that one is that the room has a brain jar as well which you see when you turn around from getting the statue key (it's in the corner opposite of the statue, so you'd only know about it after entering). You only have just enough time to get the key and get out. Going for the jar is certain death.

Really? I shot the statue from outside the room and snagged the brain juice and the key and had enough time to get out.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
This used to be a fun house
But now it's full of evil clowns
It's time to start the countdown
We're gonna burn it down!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Don't know why you didn't name that episode 'What a funhouse'.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

IronSaber posted:

Really? I shot the statue from outside the room and snagged the brain juice and the key and had enough time to get out.

I guess that's where I messed up. I melee'd it inside and that ate up enough time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Personally I enjoyed this area cause it let me learn some new tricks (i.e. kicking doors into the faces of zombies gives you a good opportunity to set them on fire):

but it also taught me some tough lessons:

Also it has a large merry go round of death and that's the best thing ever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I saw in the LP request thread something called "Akuma Mode". Is it a spoiler to say what that's about?

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw in the LP request thread something called "Akuma Mode". Is it a spoiler to say what that's about?

It's "you die in one shot" mode. Which is, considering this game, kinda crap

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's actually called Akumu Mode (悪夢, which means 'Nightmare'). But yeah it's crazy fuckin' hard to the point of total unfairness, but the difficulty pretty much explicitly says that when you select it from the menu I believe. And it isn't just one hit death either, it also adds more enemy spawns and traps, makes enemies rush you more often, and causes boxes to drop less supplies when you smash them with Seb's meaty man-fists.

The DLC also has an extra difficulty called Kurayami Mode (暗闇) which I will not explain or translate because I don't know if Scruffy is doing those and it'd spoil the DLC's gameplay!

edit: Oh, and the bomb disarming radius is hilariously tiny:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 9, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game is bullshit on any difficulty level higher than Survival. I just got to chapter 3 in the Hard mode, whatever it's called, and JESUS there's an end-game enemy patrolling the village in Chapter 3. Capable of one-hit killing you from very far away due to the thing that it does. That is bullshit, especially since normal enemies can kill you in two hits already.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

It's actually called Akumu Mode (悪夢, which means 'Nightmare'). But yeah it's crazy fuckin' hard to the point of total unfairness, but the difficulty pretty much explicitly says that when you select it from the menu I believe. And it isn't just one hit death either, it also adds more enemy spawns and traps, makes enemies rush you more often, and causes boxes to drop less supplies when you smash them with Seb's meaty man-fists.

The DLC also has an extra difficulty called Kurayami Mode (暗闇) which I will not explain or translate because I don't know if Scruffy is doing those and it'd spoil the DLC's gameplay!

I'm leaning towards checking out the DLC depending on how the end of the game hits me. We'll see! Aside from that I know ANY damage kills you, including the little sparks from the first time you see blood lady near the oil puddle. There's a fight at the end of this chapter that can be spectacularly crap with that, not to mention the little human cockroaches from chapter 8.

So yeah good luck whoever decides to do that.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm not even sure how one would do an LP of Akumu mode because it would involve a metric crapton of dying. Maybe post-commentary with only the successes edited in. It seems like a real nightmare to do, pardon the pun.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Kinda like this LP. There are some sections that literally require dozens of retries. I can't think of a way to do it that doesn't involve an inordinate amount of video editing, though. And given the technical challenges scruffy already had to deal with, not sure he wants that on his plate.

EDIT: Durr typo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm watching a speed run of Akumu mode now and it sure looks like a nightmare, but drat if the dude running it isn't completely clowning this game. It's actually pretty awesome but it IS segmented, as no sane human being would do it in one sitting and manage to not die. And Speedball is right, they pull some super mean tricks on Hard and up like placing endgame enemies in starting game areas and so on. Scruffy please do not do Akumu mode you will die :(

edit: You should do the DLCs though, they're a really good addition to the main game I feel!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I don't think I'll be doing Akumu mode. I've done more and worse technical-wise but I'm not a fan of one hit kill stuff in general, doing it in a game where you are designed to get damaged is a huge pain.

Much like getting caught in whirling spikes!*

21: Pressed, Sliced, Or Minced/Polsy

*I do not get caught in whirling spikes

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I personally would have upgraded each of the weapons critical hit chance at least once since it seems cheep enough for the occasional damage boost.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Major_JF posted:

I personally would have upgraded each of the weapons critical hit chance at least once since it seems cheep enough for the occasional damage boost.

Yeah, it's the difference between a bullet or shotgun just damaging a zombie's head or blowing it up completely with one shot. (and note, sometimes a handgun bullet to the head only destroys half the zombie's head, ewwwww)

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I definitely recommend maxing out the pistol's critical chance, since that's the most common ammo type and at 50% chance for an instant kill, it's an excellent deal.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Also max out accuracy because it is outright not firing at the center of the crosshair on the first shot.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today I make mistakes. Repeatedly. Some of them will not come back to bite me until next video.

22: The Death And Return Of Blood Lady/Polsy

As a bit of explanation, I've trolled the achievement list in the PS4 for this game and I saw that there was a super sweet cheevo for "burn to the ground" or something like that for chapter 10. The fluff in it seems to suggest that blood lady is coming back and that burning this poo poo to the ground is entirely possible. The point at which I burned this poo poo to the ground was not the right time to do so. This lack of resources will cause me some grief.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
The only thing not "killing her" initially with the bolts like you did does is let you pick up a 1000g jar and the ammo from the four zombies that attack you. Otherwise she just chases you but ends up being slowed down by the actual zombies. So yeah, you completely wasted those bolts!

When I was done with the hand lady (after dying 4-5 times I think), I was in complete disbelief that the chapter wasn't over. Then came what's in the next video and I am so so sorry for what you probably went through for our entertainment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw. I was so hoping that you'd use the 'you aren't looking so hot' line as a lead up to blasting her with a furnace.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Haven't gotten that far into the LP yet, but when the first invis dude showed up I'm pretty sure there was a slight shimmer. I'd put it to compression but when I saw it I instantly thought there was an invis dude there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Haven't gotten that far into the LP yet, but when the first invis dude showed up I'm pretty sure there was a slight shimmer. I'd put it to compression but when I saw it I instantly thought there was an invis dude there.

They sometimes distort the air, but usually only when they're right in your face. Usually the invisible dudes appear in places with lots of dust in the air, I noticed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Seeing you run in circles to avoid the blood lady and then locking yourself in an area with her was kinda hilarious.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think the invisible guys have a little bit of distortion once they get close to you. It's not really enough to give you some solid reaction time but it's nice to know you're going to get grabbed a split second before it happens.

I went ahead and played through the next chapter last night and completely upgraded the pistol's accuracy and critical chance. Which at a 50% chance of headpopping, drat it feels good to be a gangster. I also cut out about 15 minutes of failure because it wasn't really fun to watch or to play. Unlike blood lady and the next video. Any other thoughts on upgrades? I might go for either sprint time or stock on a new toy I get that Barry Burton would be proud of.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

dscruffy1 posted:

I might go for either sprint time or stock on a new toy I get that Barry Burton would be proud of.

On my run at least, the ammo for that thing was so rare that I'm glad I didn't bother upgrading. I think the last few upgrades I did were Sniper capacity and just focused on the shotgun after that. Sprint is always useful but I didn't upgrade it to max.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RealSovietBear posted:

On my run at least, the ammo for that thing was so rare that I'm glad I didn't bother upgrading. I think the last few upgrades I did were Sniper capacity and just focused on the shotgun after that. Sprint is always useful but I didn't upgrade it to max.

I've picked up 8 bullets for it in the same chapter :v: it might be worth upgrading at least once, like most of the other ones.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

RealSovietBear posted:

Who needs to be able to run more if you can shoot the thing you're running from :getin:

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Nalesh posted:

Who needs to be able to run more if you can shoot the thing you're running from :getin:

No you can't

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Then you obviously didn't shoot it enough.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
If you were waiting for my lack of trap bolts to screw me, wait no longer!

23: Poor Life Choices/Polsy

I have a gripe with this portion of the game. They already established this enemy as "you see him? OH poo poo RUN!" To suddenly turn it into a boss fight with very little prompting is...frustrating. But maybe I read the game wrong here. Maybe it was obvious that it was go time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, that boss fight does seem to come out of almost nowhere, they barely give you time to meet the thing before you have to kill it. The gimmick of it is kinda cool I feel, though I don't think they give you enough hiding spots for you to really utilize it. The hint at what the boss' gimmick is is also probably too subtle considering you've only just met the thing.

edit: Oh, you don't actually utilize it! In case you didn't realize: The boss' gimmick is that it can hunt you, but Sebastian can hide from it. That's what the eyeball is; it pops out when the thing is searching for you. So you can hide under the cars and in the two rooms and behind pillars and such to get it to pop the eyeball out, and then do massive damage and stun it for a bit by shooting at it.

Congrats on still winning though, that fight is very hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 14, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I actually like that boss because you can hide from it, even if it comes out of nowhere.

While the dreamscape of this game means a map would be useless I kind of wish this was a big backtrackable area as in the old Resident Evil games or Bloodborne or something. They did do this in the third Fatal Frame game. Whenever you went to sleep you'd appear in a dream mansion and two other characters would have dreams of Fatal Frame 1 and 2, and their dreams merged with yours, so branches of the dream mansion looked like levels from Fatal Frame 1 and 2. Loved that touch.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I would've imagined you have to keep hitting the eye and playing hide and seek, but then the eyeball was a one hit shot. At least they were nice and added in some explosive barrels. Ugh I like the design of this guy. Too many spider leg feet, ewwww!

Also haha, you just wanted to collect stuff and run :3: I would have too. gently caress that gribbly guy.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
That was hands down the hardest fight for me in the game. Doesn't help that you spent all your ammo on it and then the following section of the game is a nightmare because of it (I recall running out of ammo twice in Chapter 11).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't know what the rules of the blind playthrough are, but what is the stance on using a past save file and replaying it to the current point with more ammo?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Yeah I had a ton of trouble figuring out how to kill the Amalgam initially. But Resident Evil logic rears its head, and you have to shoot the eyeball. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know what the rules of the blind playthrough are, but what is the stance on using a past save file and replaying it to the current point with more ammo?

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

I keep being impressed by dscruffy's insistence on both stunning the enemy and then just watching and whistling while it recovers and his ability to waste all his ammo that stuns the the enemy during first phase so that he has none left for when it gains the instakill attack.

• Locked thread