Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Urox has his own rune. It's a very special rune, it's the rune of anti-chaos and it's what lets them do all their stuff.

An uroxi lawspeaker would not be any stronger then usual, probably, until they go bezerk or unless they were fighting chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Isn't there an event you can get where you can get your best lawman to put a ghost on trial to make it stop haunting your clan?

Haystack posted:

* This turns out to be a touch of a liability during the lunar wars, as the lunars develop a habit of sniping at the flying worshipers with their moon lasers. Not joking.

Also, what? :psyduck: I remember hearing vague mention of "lunars" from older LPs, but can we get a lore post on those sometime?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
From what I've managed to gather the Lunars are a huge empire to the north that is actually a pretty great place to live so long as you're not Orlanthi and they are ruled by an immortal Red Emperor who has some kind of connection to one of the moons. They have a massive hate-boner for Orlanth as well as a wide variety of powerful magics, one of which apparently involves firing lethal beams of moonlight (moon lasers) at people.

I also get the impression that they actually have some kind of physical presence on at least one of the moons.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Neruz posted:

From what I've managed to gather the Lunars are a huge empire to the north that is actually a pretty great place to live so long as you're not Orlanthi and they are ruled by an immortal Red Emperor who has some kind of connection to one of the moons. They have a massive hate-boner for Orlanth as well as a wide variety of powerful magics, one of which apparently involves firing lethal beams of moonlight (moon lasers) at people.

I also get the impression that they actually have some kind of physical presence on at least one of the moons.

Basically this, yeah. Although I'll clarify that there's only one moon (currently, at least one got destroyed during the gods war), that's it's a giant red orb literally floating a few tens of miles in midair above the land north of dragon pass, that it's full of weird immortals, spirits, and lunar dead people, and that it's the physical body of the Red Goddess after she literally ascended after her Goddess Quest.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Depends on the other runes he has available to use.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Haystack posted:

Basically this, yeah. Although I'll clarify that there's only one moon (currently, at least one got destroyed during the gods war), that's it's a giant red orb literally floating a few tens of miles in midair above the land north of dragon pass, that it's full of weird immortals, spirits, and lunar dead people, and that it's the physical body of the Red Goddess after she literally ascended after her Goddess Quest.

Huh, I didn't realize the Red Moon was just floating a few dozen miles in the air above the Lunar Empire. I thought it was actually up in space like a proper moon. Goddrat this is a strange setting.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Neruz posted:

Huh, I didn't realize the Red Moon was just floating a few dozen miles in the air above the Lunar Empire. I thought it was actually up in space like a proper moon. Goddrat this is a strange setting.

It's also literally got a red half and a black half, so the phases of the moon are just the whole thing spinning on its poles.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
So does it move around or does it just spin in place? Because if it just spins in place that would be a bloody amazing landmark for navigation purposes. Good for timekeeping too.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 10, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Wow, the moon is more hosed up than I thought. I remembered there was SOMETHING about a red moon, but I thought it was out in space like a good normal moon.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Neruz posted:

So does it move around or does it just spin in place? Because if it just spins in place that would be a bloody amazing landmark for navigation purposes. Good for timekeeping too.

It just spins in place. I think that you can't actually see it in most of Pamalta (the southern continent.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Huh this sounds kinda what Lhankor Mhy devotees do. Rules Lawyer their way around the world

No, that's the God-Learners' shtick, and a fat lot of good it did th

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

NewMars posted:

It just spins in place. I think that you can't actually see it in most of Pamalta (the southern continent.)

Probably not; it doesn't seem like it's that high up. But as landmarks go a stationary red moon a few dozen kilometers in the air is a pretty good one and it should be visible for a fair distance. It's definitely visible from Dragon Pass at least.

CommissarMega posted:

No, that's the God-Learners' shtick, and a fat lot of good it did th

I thought the God-Learners' thing was more being scientists and figuring out exactly how poo poo like Heroquests actually worked so that they could then find cheats and exploits in the system to gently caress everything up. They basically rules-lawyered reality.

The Gods were not impressed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The God Learners were really complicated but the gist of it is that they tried to mess with the Godsrealm in ways that the various great powers of existence didn't approve of at all, and now there are no more God Learners.

The Lunars are starting down the same path, but out of fanatical faith in the Red Goddess, not a lust for power and knowledge.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Depends on the other runes he has available to use.

Is this thread art?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also there's this horrible force of chaos that does terrible things like making Broo who will gently caress your animals to make more Broo, or summoning horrible monsters, or making everyone sick, and the Lunars and the Red Moon are kind of way into chaos but in some weird new way that doesn't make much sense.

I'm pretty sure that in the last LP of this game with an Elmali clan, half the ring were secretly chaos cultists.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
And the other half hosed with ducks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Update will be a while, so a question to you. Would you lot be interested in watching me play out an entire year by myself so you can watch me gently caress up?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Infinitum posted:

Update will be a while, so a question to you. Would you lot be interested in watching me play out an entire year by myself so you can watch me gently caress up?

Yes but having it going in the same thread maybe confusing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Infinitum posted:

Absolutely, after that Heroquest.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also there's this horrible force of chaos that does terrible things like making Broo who will gently caress your animals to make more Broo, or summoning horrible monsters, or making everyone sick, and the Lunars and the Red Moon are kind of way into chaos but in some weird new way that doesn't make much sense.

I'm pretty sure that in the last LP of this game with an Elmali clan, half the ring were secretly chaos cultists.

Something for KoDP2 (that will never be made): Khaos Kultist Klan :devil:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love all these threads, from Ortossi the Windslayer, Harvar the Chaos Killer, Garstal the ninjaclown or Bland King Penterest it's nice to see what strange personalities crop up :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
At least this time the game isn't being played by a confirmed Chaos Cultist.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Something for KoDP2 (that will never be made): Khaos Kultist Klan :devil:

They're making a sequel though, six ages.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Neruz posted:

Probably not; it doesn't seem like it's that high up. But as landmarks go a stationary red moon a few dozen kilometers in the air is a pretty good one and it should be visible for a fair distance. It's definitely visible from Dragon Pass at least.

The Red Moon is visible from Pamaltela, except just barely, as a crimson dot in the horizon. This is because the Red Goddess has no real presence in those lands. As for being not high up enough - The Red Moon is not in the physical world. She is high enough to be in the Middle Air (thus the constant battling with Orlanth, since the Middle Air is his turf), and so while she is visible from the mortal world, she is not part of it. For example, way, way later, when Argrath finally defeats the Lunars in Pavis and kicks them out of Prax, the Red Moon starts being barely visible in Prax, even though the Crater (the place where the mass of the Red Moon was picked up by the goddess) is not that far away from it.

As for physically weak Uroxi - I suppose theoretically it must be possible, and it's always a good option for a PC. But in general? No way. The kind of poo poo Storm Bulls need to deal with on a regular basis requires a great amount of physical strength.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So if anyone has any Eurmal or Urox related questions I'll be happy to field them. I learned far more about being an Urox and a Eurmali than is probably healthy when actually playing Heroquest.
I've been trying to get a handle on where Eurmal lies on the whole good guy/bad guy spectrum.

He's a trickster, obviously, but is he more the "good" kind of trickster, where his antics are gifts and lessons in disguise, or the "bad" kind where he's just an rear end in a top hat? Given the Orlanthi mad-on for all things Chaos, it's a little surprising to me that they'd revere a dude whose shtick is, basically, creating chaos. Plus he seems to have done some geniunely bad stuff in the myths. I guess I'm curious as to how the Orlanthi view him and what value they see in worshipping him (and putting his adherents on their clan ring!). In a lore sense, I mean; I understand the value in a game mechanics sense.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mechanical Ape posted:

I've been trying to get a handle on where Eurmal lies on the whole good guy/bad guy spectrum.

He's a trickster, obviously, but is he more the "good" kind of trickster, where his antics are gifts and lessons in disguise, or the "bad" kind where he's just an rear end in a top hat? Given the Orlanthi mad-on for all things Chaos, it's a little surprising to me that they'd revere a dude whose shtick is, basically, creating chaos. Plus he seems to have done some geniunely bad stuff in the myths. I guess I'm curious as to how the Orlanthi view him and what value they see in worshipping him (and putting his adherents on their clan ring!). In a lore sense, I mean; I understand the value in a game mechanics sense.

The role of the trickster is to play every side. It's sort of like how Baba Yaga will help or attack heroes depending on the legend.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Neruz posted:

At least this time the game isn't being played by a confirmed Chaos Cultist.
I can still vote, though. :devil:

Mechanical Ape posted:

He's a trickster, obviously, but is he more the "good" kind of trickster, where his antics are gifts and lessons in disguise, or the "bad" kind where he's just an rear end in a top hat?
Yes.

quote:

Given the Orlanthi mad-on for all things Chaos, it's a little surprising to me that they'd revere a dude whose shtick is, basically, creating chaos. Plus he seems to have done some geniunely bad stuff in the myths. I guess I'm curious as to how the Orlanthi view him and what value they see in worshipping him (and putting his adherents on their clan ring!). In a lore sense, I mean; I understand the value in a game mechanics sense.
Tricksters have a couple of good points:
-They're officially allowed to be rulebreakers, which gives clans a bit of leeway to do weird poo poo. Specifically, the whole point of tricksters is they can bend and break all the rules without it being capital-C Chaos.
-Their reality-bending makes it easier to heroquest, even outside of KODP's "extra slots in Quest magic" mechanic.
-I vaguely recall something about turning them into a weapon of mass destruction by treating them like utter poo poo(much moreso than tricksters usually are), then pointing them towards someone you don't like.

That said, KODP also encourages you to routinely do things most clans wouldn't do, like fawn over tricksters and build a shrine to Maran Gor. Most clans don't really like having tricksters around unless one of the few Good Reasons To Have A Trickster pops up.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Tricksters are basically the 'good' kind of chaos; the kind that results in change and growth, controlled chaos if you will (to the degree it is possible to control chaos.) Rather than capital C Chaos which just results in a whole bunch of horrible mutant tentacle monsters eating everything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tricksters embody Disorder, not Chaos. Chaos is the darkness before the beginning of everything, antithetical to all that is good. Sometimes, a Trickster can save you when no one else can (like on the Lightbringers Quest.)

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Let's get something straight in here - Chaos is not just the lack of order. The term the Orlanthi use is "Predark". It is the nothing, the void, the emptiness that existed before even Darkness, the oldest element in existence, was born. The Predark is unknowable, horrific and, by it's very nature, utterly anti-Gloranthan. It's sole purpose is to drag all of reality back into it's original state of not existing.

What Tricksters do is Disorder. And while disorder is hardly respected or liked, it is, non the less, accepted as part of the fabric of existence, sitting opposite the power of Harmony. Also, tricksters are not "good". They are murderers, thieves, liars and betrayers. Every trickster who becomes bonded to an Orlanthi initiate will always betray that person, usually at the moment where it will be most painful and harming. One of the many reasons Orlanthi are seen as barbaric and lawless by their northern neighbors is the fact that they accept Tricksters. Mind you, by "accepting" tricksters, what the Orlanthi usually do is kill 90% of tricksters on sight, usually the moment that person has revealed themselves as such.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Eurmal brought death into the world, and chaos with it, but he was also one of the lightbringers who fixed the world when it was broken.

The best thing I've heard for explaining how normal people view this vaguely contradictory poo poo is "When Orlanthi and Dara Happans fight, it is because Orlanth and Yelm fought. When Orlanthi and Dara Happans make peace, it is because Orlanth and Yelm made peace." Basically, the myths tell you multiple things about the gods. They're all true, just roll with it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

These days Orlanthi and Dara Happans fight because the latter are filthy Lunars.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

wiegieman posted:

These days Orlanthi and Dara Happans fight because the latter are filthy Lunars.

There are many dara happans who also hate the lunars. Why? Because the lunars are no good pretenders to Yelm. Well, that's one half of it. The other half is all the changes they make in opposition to dara happan culture, such as social mobility and gender equality.

As for tricksters. Eurmal is a trickster. There are no good tricksters, or bad tricksters. Just tricksters. Sometimes eurmal does good things, like giving people fire, sometimes he does bad things, like kill people. Why? Because he wants to. There is no consistency to his actions, save for the fact that they are always the strangest and most upsetting possible, even when that's a good thing, it's not a welcome thing.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 10, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Infinitum posted:

Is this thread art?

Jenx drew it for me a couple years ago when I was running an Esrolian Uroxi Lawspeaker in a KoDP game on TradGames. I take it out every chance I get.

As for Eurmal... you know how in Norse mythology Loki is despised by the gods but is accepted at their table because he is technically Odin's blood-brother? Eurmal is sort of in the same boat. The other gods would gladly kill him and move on, even if he could die, but he is under Orlanth's protection.

A Eurmali is not necessarily a Trickster. A Trickster is a Eurmali who has been given protection by a powerful member of the clan, usually the chieftain. That means that the Eurmali has taken the traditional oaths of service, oaths which are far more binding than mere words, and has pledged himself to the clan. Of course that doesn't mean he isn't sneaking into tulas while the thanes are away and seducing their women, or training cotters the wrong way to use a sling, or making a poo poo sculpture in the middle of the Humakti shrine (they really hate that one) it just means he won't do anything to gently caress over everyone... most of the time.

It's important to remember that your average Eurmali rates lower than a slave and just above a Stranger. It's perfectly legal to kill any Eurmali you find, as long as they aren't bonded.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wouldn't killing a Eurmali get the clan wergild, or if you did it without anyone knowing, would it be considered secret murder?

I mean if you kill one for the hell of it, that's bad. And of course I mean an unbonded one.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Wouldn't killing a Eurmali get the clan wergild, or if you did it without anyone knowing, would it be considered secret murder?

I mean if you kill one for the hell of it, that's bad. And of course I mean an unbonded one.

Unbonded tricksters are unprotected by all laws. You cannot sue them or punish them. However, doing anything you want to them is completely legal and they have no clan.

Bonded ones technically have a wereguild you are supposed to pay to their bondsman, however, no one is likely to care too much if you do not pay it. Secret murder is always bad, but with a bonded trickster it is as minimally bad as can be.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

With bonded tricksters you don't even really pay wergild. You do pay compensation, but it's more like the compensation for damaging someone's plow, or killing their cattle or breaking their stuff.

As for unbounded tricksters? If you find and kill one it's more likely that the nearby clans would congratulate you on ridding the world of these annoying fucks.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Infinitum posted:

This didn't get too many answers but I would be interested to see this. The theme of this thread is seeing a first timer gently caress up, and it seems most of the thread participants have either read previous LPs or played the game and are giving too good advice.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mechanical Ape posted:

In this game you'll probably do plenty of shady things unbecoming of a 'good' guy - trading away deathsticks as legit treasures to people you don't like, making up petty lies when it suits you, sending dudes to steal another clan's property in the night, etc, etc, etc. Pretty much every clan takes part in cattle raids and the like so it's just not you. The good/bad spectrum as we know it doesn't quite line up with those of Orlanthi cultures, who are more concerned with hard practicalities - living up to oaths, reputations, being strong etc. Outright killing a dude isn't necessarily 'bad' under the right circumstances. In the end, a good Orlanthi is a dude who's good at being Orlanthi if that makes sense, that's what their concept of good is. Eurmal worshippers operate sufficiently, but not completely, against that part of Orlanthi morality that they're not well-liked by anybody, nobody views them as whimsical, 'good' tricksters and they're mostly treated as second-class citizens. Eurmal's capricious, but not malevolent nature, still allows them to be of some practical use so they can be tolerated if the price is right.

The chaos thing is another wrinkle different enough to warrant seperate consideration. Chaos is a real aspect of their physical world and not an idea of how things should work. There is a bit of relation here between chaos and orlanthi 'bad' since no orlanthi wants to encourage the spread of chaos from a practical perspective though.

e: IMHO anyway from what I've picked up from these LPs over the years.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Antichaos is not even a practical thing at it's heart. Predark is the antithesis of everything, just being a person who has a conscience, no matter what your culture is makes you a hated enemy of it. Of course, being the antithesis of everything does not mean evil, but to come to this understanding you must realize that just because something opposes everything that is good and proper, that does not equate to evil. Of course, as this is a part of illumination, that particular revelation can lead you down all the worst paths very easily and voicing it in most cultures will get you outcast or killed.

• Locked thread