Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Also please free BigHerm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

There are some coaches who seem to have a ridiculous preference for veteran players--to the point of playing a guy who's just not physically capable of doing their job anymore rather than give a young guy their shot. I don't remember Herm Edwards being like that but maybe that's another reason they keep track.

Don't tiptoe around it, just say, "Tom Coughlin".

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

actually Philbin owned on hard knocks

*5 min compilation of Joe picking up trash on the practice field begins to play*

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
After laughing myself silly over Geno Smith potentially missing a big chunk of time after getting sucker punched by his own team mate over $600 what are some of the more ludicrous injury stories to come out of the NFL in recent years?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

El Seano posted:

After laughing myself silly over Geno Smith potentially missing a big chunk of time after getting sucker punched by his own team mate over $600 what are some of the more ludicrous injury stories to come out of the NFL in recent years?

The coach of the Jaguars in the mid 2000's brought in a stump and an axe because his mantra was keep chopping wood. The punter took a swing and chopped some punter instead.

Also way, way back in the day some guy in the HoF ended his career at the coin toss. After the coin was flipped he spun around too fast, his cleats got stuck and he tore his ACL.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Kalli posted:

The coach of the Jaguars in the mid 2000's brought in a stump and an axe because his mantra was keep chopping wood. The punter took a swing and chopped some punter instead.

Also way, way back in the day some guy in the HoF ended his career at the coin toss. After the coin was flipped he spun around too fast, his cleats got stuck and he tore his ACL.

Now this is what I was hoping for.

Edit:

I found it and can't quite believe you weren't actually loving with me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk_Edwards

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Nate Burleson of the Detroit Lions is driving home with leftover pizza when the pizza starts to slip off the passenger seat. Nate tries to save the pizza but ends up crashing the car and breaking his arm.

Joseph Fauria of the Detroit Lions is spending time in the house with Lil' Rufio, his Pomsky, when Lil' Rufio starts to pee. Joe jumps down the stairs while trying to get the dog outside and sprains his ankle. Some people think that story was a lie and he actually got injured playing volleyball with some local girls.

Stephen Tulloch of the Detroit Lions sacks Aaron Rodgers, jumps in the air to celebrate and lands funny, tearing his ACL. At least the Lions won that game. A few weeks later, Lamarr Houston of the Bears sacks Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo at the end of getting blown out and tears his ACL doing literally the same thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Strahan tore his ACL in a sack celebration once, but he convinced everyone that he did it during the play. He only came clean after he retired.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Gus Frerotte gave himself a concussion by headbutting a wall in celebration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Bill Grammatica is one of the go to dumb injuries. Note that this is a not particularly long or impressive field goal to go up by 3 in the first quarter. Laugh at the guys tearing ACLs for celebrating sacks if you want but at least those are sort of impressive.

Gus Frerotte (a QB) headbutted a wall celebrating a TD and sprained his neck. And Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg with a handgun at a nightclub, which led to jail time in addition to a loving bullet wound, and eventually led to this great TD celebration.

e: Oops beaten on Gus. Was it a concussion or neck sprain? Or neck sprain used as a way to not say concussion.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, this is college related, but Ted Ginn Jr. returned the opening kick for a TD in the 2006 BCS NCG and then hosed up his foot celebrating, keeping him out of the game. Ohio State probably wouldn't have won anyway, but Troy Smiths statline would have been better than 4/14 35 yards, 1 INT, and one fumble lost. Oh and 5 sacks. Why, yes I am hard right now why do you ask?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Owen Schmitt bashed himself in the face with his own helmet while trying to get the crowd hyped up before a game against the Jaguars. It wasn't really a serious injury but he bled a lot and had to get some stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIhNJo1t4A

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volkerball posted:

Strahan tore his ACL in a sack celebration once, but he convinced everyone that he did it during the play. He only came clean after he retired.

Well if anyone could easily lie through their teeth its him

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Here, just read this http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Hilarious_Injuries

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kellen Winslow's doesn't make since anymore

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well if anyone could easily lie through their teeth its him

noice

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

quote:

Basketball
Magic Johnson: Caught the AIDS.

lol

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

^^^^^
:argh:

Holy poo poo, the first entry on that page:

quote:

Basketball
Magic Johnson: Caught the AIDS.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:vince:

quote:

Chris Henry: Slipped off of his home planet and got fatal road rash

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Not sure if this should go in the N/V thread so I'm posting it here:

Are these strings of preseason games going to have their own NFL (see: Not DirectTV) redzone coverage? I remember reading something about it but can't remember if they're going ahead with it or not.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FIRST TIME posted:

^^^^^
:argh:

Holy poo poo, the first entry on that page:

Clicking on the names is even better.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Philthy posted:

Clicking on the names is even better.

It's like reading an Encyclopedia Dramitica that's about sports.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone have some good recommendations for football books? I'm open to anything really. I'd like to read about football strategy, fictional stories, autobiographies, team biographies, etc.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

WobblySausage posted:

Anyone have some good recommendations for football books? I'm open to anything really. I'd like to read about football strategy, fictional stories, autobiographies, team biographies, etc.

The smart football books are good, but they're just cleaned up versions of what's on his blog which you can read for free. I also enjoied The Real All Americans about Carlisle Indian Acamedy. I should dig that out and re read it actually.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WobblySausage posted:

If you haven't read Friday Night Lights then your life is unfulfilled

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jesus Christ. So a friend wants to go see 'Straight Outta Compton' later today, so I'm looking around on Netflix for something to watch over breakfast.

30 for 30: Straight Outta LA - Ice Cube explores how the LA Raiders influenced the turbulent culture of the South Central LA after moving to the city in the 80s.

Awesome, perfect.

It opens with Ice Cube interviewing Al Davis. A literal talking corpse zombie.

Worst decision ever. Barely keeping my food down.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If a player with ineligible numbers declares himself eligible to the ref, does he have to line up in an eligible position?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

If a player with ineligible numbers declares himself eligible to the ref, does he have to line up in an eligible position?

To be eligible you must have an eligible number(or check in) and be lined up in an eligible position.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

WobblySausage posted:

Next Man Up

Games that changed the game

War room

Education of a coach <- fuckin awesome

Parcells (the book)

Boys will be boys

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Meat Market is a good one for college recruiting. It is a non-fiction book from a journalist that followed Ogeron for a year when he was head coach at Ole Miss.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Are these any good articles charting the importance/salary of various positions from a historical perspective?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

Are these any good articles charting the importance/salary of various positions from a historical perspective?

The Blind Side does this for left tackles. Well half of the book does anyway. The other half is the story you see in the movie.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

WobblySausage posted:

Collision Low Crossers
Slow Getting Up

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Bill Connelly's book "Study Hall: College Football, Its Stats and Its Stories" is amazing. It's half "these are the schemes and strategies that are changing the game", half "these are the people and stories that are why we love college football."
If you search for "why we love college football study hall" you should find the first chapter.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Seconding Slow Getting Up and The Games That Changed The Game, both are very good reads, particularly the latter. Also check out America's Game, which is a really good history of how the NFL came to be what it is today.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

drunk leprechaun posted:

To be eligible you must have an eligible number(or check in) and be lined up in an eligible position.

I mean if he checks in as eligible and then lines up ineligible, is that a penalty, or is he just ineligible?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

I mean if he checks in as eligible and then lines up ineligible, is that a penalty, or is he just ineligible?

I think he would just be ineligible, which of course is a penalty if he then goes downfield. Maybe illegal formation?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That is an illegal formation. The NFL is very unnecessarily prissy about requiring ineligible numbers to only be in ineligible positions, and eligible numbers to only be in eligible positions. In NCAA you're allowed to line up #50 at fullback, and you can also put #84 in as an apparent tight end and then cover him up with wide receiver #15, and there's no foul at the snap; only if they then do something to offend the eligiblity rules is there a flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hey guys, I've got a random question.

The lady stood with her hands in her pockets in front of the kneeling cameraman: what is her role? What is she doing on the field? There are two photographers (man kneeling, woman almost out of the shot on the right), a cheerleader, and the audience. She seems... out of place. A winner of some sort of "fieldside seats" competition?

• Locked thread