Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Maybe a weird request, but are there any CCG games that are decent to play single player? I've not played a CCG, but for some reason I'm in the mood for one - but I've no interest in playing against other people. Anything that fits?

Also, any recommendations for computerised board games would be appreciated. Have been mucking about with Talisman and quite enjoying it (when it hasn't been busily being a oval office).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flopstick posted:

Maybe a weird request, but are there any CCG games that are decent to play single player? I've not played a CCG, but for some reason I'm in the mood for one - but I've no interest in playing against other people. Anything that fits?

Also, any recommendations for computerised board games would be appreciated. Have been mucking about with Talisman and quite enjoying it (when it hasn't been busily being a oval office).

gwent for the first question

armello comes out very soon and has some buzz for the second.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flopstick posted:

I hear good things about small world.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Cool, will check those out. Cheers guys.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Looking for an RPG on steam that's under $10, something fantasy-like with good visuals mb? Hoping for something to cheer me up so probably not a dark game.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Flopstick posted:

Etherlords 2 is a CCG with single player that i played forever. It's 5$ on steam and i can highly recommend it.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

RabbitWizard posted:

Etherlords 2 is a CCG with single player that i played forever. It's 5$ on steam and i can highly recommend it.

poo poo, this looks like a perfect fit! Thanks!

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

What's the rundown on Endless Legend vs. Age of Wonders?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Flopstick posted:

poo poo, this looks like a perfect fit! Thanks!

Awesome! And it should be!

I hate the aspect of multiplayer in this genre because there are always thousands of cards and there will always be a deck that can beat yours, because there are thousands of cards! Yes, some MtG player may tell me that I'm wrong here but I don't care, I don't want to sit around hours revising my deck.

Etherlords 2 gives you enemies (with fixed decks) where you have to change your deck and tactics accordingly to beat them, and that was great. Really great. If you hate CCG multiplayer as much as i do, this game is it. It should last for at least 10-20 hours. And it's great to play for "just one battle in between", which takes around 5-20 minutes.
Go to the hardest difficulty, and even with a perfect deck the RNG will gently caress you 9/10 times, but it's still fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ceyton posted:

Age of Wonders 3 is closer to the HoMM clone side of 4X, Endless Legend has some of that too but with more Civ-based influences. It depends on what your preferences are. Do you want a very deliberate 4X with more emphasis on base building, resource management and diplomatic relations, or more conquest + exploration gameplay where you build up an army and just wipe out the map?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ceyton posted:

EL is Civ with better, interesting combat

AoW is HoMM with better city management.

Like above poster said, it comes down more to what you want. AoW is amazing combat, but you can forget about nation building almost entirely if you want. EL has cool little quests and stuff.

IMO, if you like 4x get both.

If you prefer Fire Emblem over Sim City, then i'd lean towards AoW

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
endless legend is probably the prettiest 4x game I have played in a long time, and also by virtue of having races with actual very different gameplay styles also has the most bugfuck terrible ai

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

willus posted:

endless legend is probably the prettiest 4x game I have played in a long time, and also by virtue of having races with actual very different gameplay styles also has the most bugfuck terrible ai

It's basically the Fall from Heaven or whatever mod for Civ redux. Very complex race mechanics that are interesting and clever and way beyond the understanding of the AI.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

What are some good games that have these distinct phases:
1. Adventuring or Gathering
2. Management or Crafting

Recettear and Rune Factory both are good examples of this. Basically, I like games that revolve around collecting loot and also processing it somehow in a meaningful way beyond just pushing the disenchant or sell button if its not an upgrade. Even stuff like PSO gets bonus points cause you can feed your mag loot.

My dream game would be like a fast paced RPG where every piece of loot can be used to craft stuff. So I could hoard loot for hours on end and then sit down, rub my hands maniacally, and play with it all.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 16, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

atelier whatever

ayesha is probably the best place to start

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

What are some really good, free or very cheap, online two player games?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What are you trying to play? I did a stint of co-op with a less fortunate friend. And for free co-op you have arpgs like Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes, arena based combat like robocraft and/or zombies robots etc (I forget its actual stupid name.)

And then there's Mmos

As for cheap, there's lots of indie gauntlet clones(Hammerwatch is my favourite). The warhammer 40k CoH clones are pretty fun Co-op and always on sale.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Preferably not MMOs or grindy free to play games. We'll check out Hammerwatch, thanks!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Preferably not MMOs or grindy free to play games. We'll check out Hammerwatch, thanks!

Word, I'll browse through again to see if I forgot anything.

Tip for Hammerwatch though, Ranger and Knight are the two easiest and most steady classes to play as. Wizard and priest are finicky and start slow. Warlock and rogue are balls hard in the beginning but eventually wreck face.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cake Attack posted:

atelier whatever

ayesha is probably the best place to start

I found Atelier to be very disappointing after Recettear. Skyrim does this pretty well actually. Especially with mods.

Some games with less of an rpg aspect that may satisfy your crafting itch are Factorio and Dwarf Fortress/Gnomoria.

Minecraft. Don't Starve Together.

I'm drawing a blank trying to think of non-mmo, free MP games. I don't particularly like the genre, but Cybernations (there's a SA thread) and similar games technically fit the bill. Nile Online is probably the best of the lot.

Castle Crashers is pretty cheap but I'm not 100% sure it can be played over the network.

Take a look at World of Tanks, whichever Mechwarrior game is popular this month, and World of Warships.

Edit: Monaco is super popular but is $15.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 17, 2015

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Started playing Battleblock Theater with a buddy, poo poo's awesome. Also bought Castle Crashers for future, any other good Steam buddy games out there? Indie is good, my computer sucks.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Baldbeard posted:

What are some good games that have these distinct phases:
1. Adventuring or Gathering
2. Management or Crafting

Recettear and Rune Factory both are good examples of this. Basically, I like games that revolve around collecting loot and also processing it somehow in a meaningful way beyond just pushing the disenchant or sell button if its not an upgrade. Even stuff like PSO gets bonus points cause you can feed your mag loot.

My dream game would be like a fast paced RPG where every piece of loot can be used to craft stuff. So I could hoard loot for hours on end and then sit down, rub my hands maniacally, and play with it all.

the monster hunter games are third person over the shoulder action games that all revolve around a cycle of going out and hunting monsters, harvesting parts from them, using those parts to make new gear, and using that gear to go out hunting other monsters to make more gear

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games that do an excellent job of transporting you into a world and having you establish your presence there. I'm not interested in a specific genre such as RPG or Shooter or what have you; I'm indifferent to platform or to turn based or first person perspective or isometric, etc.

The characteristics of a game that would match what I'm looking for would include:

-A unique, well developed and fleshed out setting. Writing and story are important, although I'm indifferent to a good main storyline. For instance, the Elder Scrolls does a good job of this because of the well developed backstory and interesting sidequests, despite the dismal NPCs main story.
-A certain degree of non linearity. You're able to explore the world at your pace, rather than being led around by the nose.
-Recognition of player actions/means to interact with the game world. Factions to join; decisions to make. Not in the Bioware sense of a tightly scripted main story with lots of incidental plot lines, but again more in the Morrowind sense where you can join different factions and ascend in their ranks.
-A power scale. I want to go from being broke, weak, and a stranger to wealthy, powerful, and influential within the gameworld.
-This is optional, but being able to buy or control property(like in Fable, or in the Elder Scrolls, or GTA: San Andreas) is a big plus, espicially if there is a variety of "lovely" to "awesome."

Games that excel at this include:

-The Elder Scrolls, for the well developed and interesting gameworld, as well as non linear exploration.
-Fallen London and Sunless Sea-A++ writing and gameworld, plus the sense of becoming more familiar with a bizarre setting and going from a nobody to someone with fame, wealth, and influence
-Darklands-the slow climb from irrelevance to power in a player driven, non linear fashion
-Baldur's Gate-if only for the power progression
-Fallout:New Vegas, for doing all of the above in a superb fashion.
-Saint's Row 2: This is a bit of an outlier, but I really enjoyed the pace and sense of the power/wealth progression.

I have played almost every Western RPG. I have tried a few MMORPGs, including Guild Wars, The Old Republic, and World of Warcraft, but I bounced off of them.

Examples of types of games I am not looking for are Planescape: Torment and Mass Effect. I love both of these games but I'm looking for something with less narrative structure/looser main storylines. Actually, a Mass Effect 2 with the main story ripped out, and a non famous, less predefined protaganist and more time spent on building up ancillary areas would be the perfect type of game if it existed.

Likewise, the Witcher 3 isn't really what I'm looking for either(although I am playing it now and adore it) because it features a character who's relationship to the world is already too well defined and who is already well known and influential.

Like I said, I am indifferent to genre. I think that Elona might be what I'm working for, but haven't made it more than 5-10 minutes into it. Any suggestions appreciated!

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 17, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My immediate thought is kingdoms of amalur: reckoning

Fits most of the bill so I'd be surprised if you hadn't played it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

LLSix posted:

Take a look at World of Tanks, whichever Mechwarrior game is popular this month, and World of Warships.

War Thunder is a better choice than any of these for F2P vehicular combat.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

War Thunder and World of tanks have different design philosophies, and which one is "better" is mostly down to personal preference. WT is more of a simulation (even in arcade mode) and WoT is more of an arcade game; WT has a spotting system that encourages playing on low graphics settings, WoT has a spotting system that encourages research and head-scratching to understand how it works so you can stop dying to invisible tanks. They're both terrible in their own unique way.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in games that do an excellent job of transporting you into a world and having you establish your presence there. I'm not interested in a specific genre such as RPG or Shooter or what have you; I'm indifferent to platform or to turn based or first person perspective or isometric, etc.

Alpha Protocol has a lot of that. The only things it doesn't have is factions and full freedom of exploration - you choose areas of the world to go to, and you choose missions, but all travel between the missions is done off-screen with tiny cutscenes showing how you start and end the travel. You do mission selection from a home base in each area.
That said, each area is kind of like a faction - it has its own stable of NPCs that you build reputations with, pump for information, kill, or befriend; its own arms dealers with their own selections, and so on. And you definitely establish your prescence in the world --- at least the world of international espionage.
E: I'm not positive that's the kind of "world" you meant in your post, but I think it should be.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 17, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If you're into crafting/platforming/exploration-arpg'ing, Terraria is absolutely fantastic for co-op, and recently got a huge patch. It's cheap as heck and is one of my Top 5 games.

7 Days To Die also has progressed very nicely since its early alpha; it now closely resembles a full-on crafting/exploration game (though it's expensive and still alpha)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 17, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

prometheusbound2 posted:

Mount and Blade - you can start out as a dirty peasant nobody and work your way up to being a lord or king. It's mostly a combat game, but you can also manage your villages, run trade caravans and invest in businesses in towns. All faction relations and wars are dynamic, there's no story, everything is done through game mechanics. Plenty of mods, if you like a specific historical setting.

Crusader Kings 2 - Similar as above, but it's a character-driven grand strategy mapgame. Start as a count in some medieval shithole, and work your way to becoming the Byzantine Emperor / Fylkir of Scandinavia / Great Khan / black zoroastrian mongol ruler of the world. Huge potential for behind the scenes intrigue and fuckery. Everything you do affects the world and the AI agents work off more or less the same rules as you.

Europa 1400 / The Guild - sim / management game. Pretty old, but I still haven't seen any recent games attempt what it does. You start out as a poor tradesman in a medeival european city and work your way to becoming influential and powerful. Aside from your main profession, you can gain a variety of offices, each of which has a unique power or ability to alter a specific city law. As with the other games, everything that happens, happens through character interactions, so there's lots of opportunities for crazy schemes and fuckery. Manipulate the supply and demand of goods, change laws to your advantage, buy property, get rich.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms X - I haven't played this one, but I've been looking to try for the same reasons you posted. Supposedly in X, you don't have to play the strategy game, but you can gently caress off and do whatever while the factions fight it out. You do have to play as a character from RotK, I think.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

X3: Albion Prelude. Star with nothing, end up owning a fleet of hundred of ships and several megaindustry complexes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there a 4X game where you have to work with limited, outdated information and your underlings micromanage the small stuff? I'd like something a bit like Crusader Kings 2, but without the drama of patronage and heirs and more Civ V management stuff. I'd really like a game where I go from an empire that delivers messages by hand to a high-tech empire with instant communication, if such a thing exists.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
What is the HOMM V Tribes of the East patch that keeps getting recommended in here? Where can I find it?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm currently enjoying utopia and K240 for the amiga, and I was wondering if all the relaxed real time strategy games are gone now?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I'm currently enjoying utopia and K240 for the amiga, and I was wondering if all the relaxed real time strategy games are gone now?

You do know K240 had a remake?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

You do know K240 had a remake?

Yep, my computer throws a fit whenever I try to start fragile alliance, so I've given it up.

Sorry, fragile allegiance.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a hankering for some old games from the Nintendo stable that I never had the chance to play, the 2D, non-DS years (NES/GB/GBC/GBA/SNES). Which is the best Harvest Moon, and which Metroid should I start with, and which ones should I skip? Mostly I'm thinking of Zero Mission, which I guess is a remake of the original Metroid, only better?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 19, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

for 2D metroid play zero mission and super mertroid before anything else. the GB game metroid 2 comes in between and is lots of fun but is hurting for a remake really badly at this point and doesn't stand up to the GBA/SNES games imo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Real hurthling! posted:

for 2D metroid play zero mission and super mertroid before anything else. the GB game metroid 2 comes in between and is lots of fun but is hurting for a remake really badly at this point and doesn't stand up to the GBA/SNES games imo.

Thanks, I'll start with those. I did see the intro for Super Metroid at a Target when I was a kid, and fired it up a week ago to see it again, it's really drool-inducing. Metroid II was the only one I ever played, since kid-me's primary gaming device was the original Game Boy, so I'll probably revisit that just out of nostalgia.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I've got an itch that needs scratching. I've been wanting to play a good sci-fi game, but most of the ones I see on Steam are FPS or RTS. Not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in exploring alien environments and soaking in the atmosphere than blasting bad guys. Building an outpost or something sounds like fun. The only game I've seen that seems up that alley is Empyrion, but it's still an early access game. I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Canemacar posted:

I've got an itch that needs scratching. I've been wanting to play a good sci-fi game, but most of the ones I see on Steam are FPS or RTS. Not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in exploring alien environments and soaking in the atmosphere than blasting bad guys. Building an outpost or something sounds like fun. The only game I've seen that seems up that alley is Empyrion, but it's still an early access game. I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

Alien Isolation is tailor made for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Canemacar posted:

No Man's Sky will be your jam, once it comes out next year.