Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Samfucius posted:

This is why jokephase bugs me a bit sometimes, especially in big games. People who show up late have to make a bunch of empty posts like this or else they're gonna look like lurkers, especially when looking only at post counts.

What I'm saying is liking one post is pretty worthless.

Explain how players providing content by giving opinions on other players is a bad thing, especially on D1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Lumpen posted:

More relevant: why would you whitenoise shitpost meaningless self-referential WIFOM that does nothing to contribute to hunting Scum, and resist putting any votes on the record?

Lumpen I am a spooky ghost, this is my nature.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Explain how players providing content by giving opinions on other players is a bad thing, especially on D1.

Trying rhymes with lying. Lying is for scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

Jokes, friend. Jokes. ##unvote

##unvote ##vote merk

Why unvote if it's a joke, why care if he presses you on a meaningless joke vote, why wouldn't you try to use your vote in a meaningful way when he started to interact with you over it and FINALLY why are you being personable in a game of mafia? I know the answer, friends, I do.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

$$

Venture to make a few guesses now?

You want me to engage in setup spec on D1? As much as I like setup spec, it's pretty baseless on D1 when there isn't any info available.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's the only time you can acceptably do it in lieu of content

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Rarity posted:

Content would be great.

"This post is good" is not content.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Content would be great.

So would you say

That post was bad?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Fee deedly Dee fee deely da!

*plays merry tune on ghostly lute*

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
It was certainly worthless.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

##unvote ##vote merk

Why unvote if it's a joke, why care if he presses you on a meaningless joke vote, why wouldn't you try to use your vote in a meaningful way when he started to interact with you over it and FINALLY why are you being personable in a game of mafia? I know the answer, friends, I do.

I didn't think he got it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Samfucius posted:

Content would be great.

It's a positive read on a player, an extra connection that can be used once one of us flips. Creating those is what D1 is all about.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's the only time you can acceptably do it in lieu of content

Yeah but D1 speculation is more likely to lead town in the wrong direction because there is nothing to base the speculation on.

The only thing I'd really speculate on during D1 is the likely number of scum based on the amount of players in the game. In this case, probably 3 or 4 scum and possibly an SK. But again, that's just a guess.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Samfu you seem really opposed to any sort of content today.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

TMMadman posted:

Yeah but D1 speculation is more likely to lead town in the wrong direction because there is nothing to base the speculation on.

The only thing I'd really speculate on during D1 is the likely number of scum based on the amount of players in the game. In this case, probably 3 or 4 scum and possibly an SK. But again, that's just a guess.

Assuming just a scumteam, it's probably five scum. If there's an SK, then four. Of course, there's almost certainly ~weirdness~ happening, because Ecco game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ljtrigirl posted:

Actually, there are pretty much 0 worlds where I support lynching him today. How do we know what the pearl does if we instakill the beholder?

This is an overly serious reaction to a very jokey post from Hal. Later on she claims that she understands jokephase so why does she react the way she does here? It could be supporting a scum buddy as I already mentioned, it could be she knows the pearl is bad for town. That's all speculation though, my main issue with this post is that I don't see it as a towny way of thinking. If Sam's the scummiest then he should be lynched, pearl or no pearl. This reaction says that ltrigirl is judging the lynch target by a different metric.

ljtrigirl posted:

I can tell from your avatar that your head is not empty.

But this post was.

Oh hey, it's the traditional Attacking Meinberg Case(TM). We all know Meinberg, we know what he's like on D1, he's such an easy target on D1 cause he's such an awkward poster. I think ljtrigirl's just looking for the easiest target here and doesn't realise that we understand him.

ljtrigirl posted:

Dangit. I'm trying to be all easygoing this game.

So ignore that last post.

Already been mentioned but backpeddling

ljtrigirl posted:

I can be a bit..... assertive? I'm trying not to be so much anymore. idk. Self control is one of those things that I lack.

This is her making excuses for her playstyle, it's a very defensive move made out of desire to survive.

##vote ljtrigirl

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity is postin' good.

*strums another merry tune*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

Anything is likely to lead town in the wrong direction. We have zero information so the chances are we're lynching town today. It seems like you're trying to make excuses to avoid getting lynched for something that got you lynched in the past.

CCKeane posted:

Rarity is postin' good.

*strums another merry tune*

Sorry, I hear posts like these are pretty worthless

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EXAKT Science posted:

Assuming just a scumteam, it's probably five scum. If there's an SK, then four. Of course, there's almost certainly ~weirdness~ happening, because Ecco game.

Yeah, this being an Ecco game means it's even harder to do D1 setup spec. I've never played one before, but I did read most of the Lady Clarent game from a month or so ago, so I know weirdness is a think in Ecco games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

This is an overly serious reaction to a very jokey post from Hal. Later on she claims that she understands jokephase so why does she react the way she does here? It could be supporting a scum buddy as I already mentioned, it could be she knows the pearl is bad for town. That's all speculation though, my main issue with this post is that I don't see it as a towny way of thinking. If Sam's the scummiest then he should be lynched, pearl or no pearl. This reaction says that ltrigirl is judging the lynch target by a different metric.

Oh hey, it's the traditional Attacking Meinberg Case(TM). We all know Meinberg, we know what he's like on D1, he's such an easy target on D1 cause he's such an awkward poster. I think ljtrigirl's just looking for the easiest target here and doesn't realise that we understand him.

Already been mentioned but backpeddling

This is her making excuses for her playstyle, it's a very defensive move made out of desire to survive.

##vote ljtrigirl

What seems strange to me is the backpedaling is immediate, within the same minute. If the backpedaling had been over a longer time, it would make sense to have been a possible reconsideration. Instead, it appears there was a change of heart but the two posts so close timing-wise makes it feel like it was a conscious effort to garner some light town cred.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Anything is likely to lead town in the wrong direction. We have zero information so the chances are we're lynching town today. It seems like you're trying to make excuses to avoid getting lynched for something that got you lynched in the past.

Sorry, I hear posts like these are pretty worthless

Actually, I didn't get lynched for it but I got a lot of frustrated people yelling at me for setup spec, so I'm a little hesitant to do it on D1 with no real info. If I'm alive in a few days I'll be more than happy to delve back into it with more info.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As much as I hate the shitposting Keane is doing, I think Rarity's case is decent and EXAKT brought up a good point earlier about manufactured sincerity.

##unvote

##vote ljtrigirl

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think Rarity may be trying to protect ltj

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

As much as I hate the shitposting Keane is doing, I think Rarity's case is decent and EXAKT brought up a good point earlier about manufactured sincerity.

##unvote

##vote ljtrigirl

*takes out a musical saw, plays a spooky ghostily tune*

Now this is interesting. This is a pretty quick back off and attachment to another posted case. The reason cited is a case that another posted, which allows for spreading the blame and pinning a vote on another player.

How dreadfully scummy!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I think Rarity may be trying to protect ltj

How so?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

I didn't think he got it.

Does this mean I didn't get it or that GUISSEPPE didn't get it?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Guys I HAVE to shitpost. If I don't shitpost scum might take me out early, which, as a powerful town role, would be terrible.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TMMadman posted:

Does this mean I didn't get it or that GUISSEPPE didn't get it?

Oh, I "get" it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Guys, I am in a conference call and have to pee very badly. Help.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

Coffee cup.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

*takes out a musical saw, plays a spooky ghostily tune*

Now this is interesting. This is a pretty quick back off and attachment to another posted case. The reason cited is a case that another posted, which allows for spreading the blame and pinning a vote on another player.

How dreadfully scummy!

Not really. My case on you is literally "I hate his posting and it's giving me scum vibes," which is not a case that is A) solid or B) going to convince anyone. Meanwhile, the LJ case is one that people can build off of and examine more thoroughly, and is also more likely to elicit a response that can be interpreted and acted on rather than your whitenoise shitposts.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If I do decide to case ljt later in this game please remember that Rarity's case makes her scummier not townier and that my case exists outside of hers tia

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

You get that merk is scum? I'm not following any of this and it feels like some kind of secret language.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Not really. My case on you is literally "I hate his posting and it's giving me scum vibes," which is not a case that is A) solid or B) going to convince anyone. Meanwhile, the LJ case is one that people can build off of and examine more thoroughly, and is also more likely to elicit a response that can be interpreted and acted on rather than your whitenoise shitposts.

I don't know, I think my ghostly and spooky postings have elicted quite the reaction!

*plucks a ghostly lyre*

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

TMMadman posted:

Well I don't know about mayor, but I've seen Ecco use a governor in his last game. Mayor and governor could be used interchangeably for the purposes of role naming.

Governor changes a lynch, Mayor has double vote. Totally different things.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

Just pee on the floor. You don't have to clean it up.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Lumpen posted:

Everyone that Ecco responded to in the thread is probably Town. The posts are taken as sincere and by engaging with them on that basis Ecco, as Mod who knows all the roles, implies that they are Town. I believe Ecco would respond in a ScumDoc for idle chatter to and chat idly about the game with Scum players, rather than posting in-thread.

So directly due to Ecco's post in-thread, my reads are skewed, (right or wrong) toward Town on Jedit, Kashuno, and Bottle Knight. In addition, Ecco directly criticized the vote on QPQ as wrong, and I dont think Ecco woukd do that if Jedit was actually voting a Scum, so QPQ tends to be cleared as well.

Blech. It seems like Ecco is a good mod from what I've heard. I do not like this post. I do not like clearing a handful of people for it.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Rarity posted:

If I'm reading diqnol right I'm guessing it's the strong early defence of Sam that would be a strong connection if one of you ends up flipping scum

I mean, do you disagree with it? Lynching the person that's holding the pearl without finding out what it does doesn't make any sense to me.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ljtrigirl posted:

Governor changes a lynch, Mayor has double vote. Totally different things.

It's possible to switch names or powers around. Just because something is often named one way doesn't mean that it can't be changed for flavor purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Rarity posted:

Where do you normally play your mafia?

BGG. We call it Werewolf there.

• Locked thread