Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Yes Rarity you got me, I am transparent scum not playing my usual on-point D1 game and hiding behind jokes and not taking the game too seriously early on. drat YOU ARE GOOD.

Does this happen in like literally every game we play together? Do you want me to actually address these points because they are all pretty silly. Do you really believe in this as strongly as you are putting out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rarity posted:

So yes, Hal.

I said it at the time, this immediate VT claim stands out to me. VT is always a worthless claim that you can throw out at any time but it's rare to see actual VT immediately claim (unless it's PMom). Scum always fall back on VT as a failsafe claim even though they're then scared of being caught by watchers/trackers. I think Hal's trying to pull a double bluff here, make a show of how unafraid of the PRs he is by putting the claim out early.

Again, already said this but this is a vote on the player that chose to stand out which Hal can later play as either a joke or serious. It's giving him an excuse to put a vote down without having to make an opinion and allowing him to keep his options open.

Jumping on the most solid bandwagon going just like TM said.

Hal mentions QPQ's name, forgets about him, brushes it off when asked about it later and then forgets about finding the original source of his bad vibes. He's just tossing out QPQ's name to look like he's doing things without having any genuine reads.

He's sort of suspicious of BK but maybe not but perhaps he's scum but oh well, let's just have a little joke about things instead. Like I pointed out, he's just having a go at BK for playing mafia. BK's not really doing anything particularly crazy to count as "riled up". And then he doesn't follow through with suspicion, he ends up playing it off as a chill joke/slight mafia dadding. It looks like again Hal's just throwing out names and questions to look like he's contributing without having anything of actual value to offer.

In short, there is nothing in Hal's post history of any actual substance and combined with his early claim I feel confident in my read. Let's lynch Hal for a better tomorrow.

Oh here I will just humor you.

VT claim - 1) I claimed VT in my first post in the last Ecco game, which I was. 2) At the start of this game I asked ecco if the setup was going to be cool, he said it was going to be all vanilla, I responded saying that would be cool and then when I got my role... how could I not come in and post about the glory of my VT role. Try looking at things with more context when you analyze.

Sir Sam Vines vote - This is probably the silliest part of your whole case. I have literally never seen anything be "put up for grabs" in a thread where it wasn't immediately claimed by whoever the next person to post is regardless of alignment. Why wouldn't it be? Do you genuinely believe that was a serious vote I was setting up for a case later? Like I was going to base something on "this guy grabbed the thing first literally everyone was going to try and grab". Also have you played with me before? Do you know me in my first post of a game to be working some angle? Or do you see me do nothing but goof around early in every game regardless of alignment?

Samfucious - You are right I jumped on the guy who was posting poorly most recently and a couple other people said was bad. Do you have some particular reason for thinking Sam ISN'T bad and that my vote isn't good? Sorry I didn't elaborate to say the same things the 3 people who voted before me said but I was in a rush about to leave for the day and did my usual early-game act of analyzing existing cases and agreeing with the best ones. That's what I do when I don't have the time to do some in-depth casing, something I generally save for a little later in the game if my time is limited.

QPQ - Sorry I haven't had the chance to go back and figure out what I meant yet. I got tired last night and once again I am about to go to work. You are right though, that is actually a poor play on my part and I won't try to excuse it.

BK - Guy is acting weird, put a lot of stock in your very early suspicion of me, seems to randomly call out players for not posting in a style he likes and just seemed a little over-aggressive in his early reads and callouts, especially in a game that is still in its relative infancy. Also his snide remark when I posted yesterday morning that implied there was some swell of suspicion around me I was ignoring when in fact it was one post by you all irked about my VT claim and SSV vote and another post by him going "yeah, that" and that was it totally rubbed me the wrong way. I still don't like it but it's hard to argue against "that's just my style"

I don't mind you calling me out and asking for more Rarity, but you seem awfully sure about yourself based on some rather tenuous evidence that sounds like something you could say about me in D1 of every single game and I think you are reaching very hard with the first parts of your case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Diqnol, do you actually think I'm scum or did you force out that case out of pride after saying you would?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
And that isn't an attempt to discredit your case; that's just what the case feels like so I'm asking the question.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Did I exert extra effort because of what I said before? Yeah, I suppose that's true. I also think everything I said there is correct and that your BK case and subsequent turn on me after I called it bad portray a scum mind.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TMMadman posted:

Alright, I'm finally home (it was a looooooooong day), I've had dinner and done some re-reading and here are my thoughts right now. The first thing I'm going to do is step in that pile of poo poo between merk/diqnol. When I originally read it I thought that it was just the standard D1 town slap fight, but after re-reading it I think something might be in there.

I'm going to start from the huge Diqnol post. It starts off bad with this:

As a participant in the exchange, I felt that merks vote on me was a joke and my questioning of it was also meant as a joke (did you see it that way merk?). Why wouldn't he remove a joke vote to try and move onto other targets? He got a reaction, we had some fun with each other and then it's time to move on. In fact, I make my own joke vote against Kashuno a few posts after this whole exchange and now I'm going to remove it. ##unvote

It changes a bit in the middle because I actually kind of agree with Diqnol that merks BK callout was bad. However, it still feels like Diqnol is trying to make something out of nothing and he's using a lot of words to do it. But the thing that really bothers me is at the end when he specifically points out that he was already voting merk but just wants to do it again for emphasis. It just seems so insincere and phony. But the worst part is the very next post in the thread is:

You make a huge case against merk and then immediately turn around and say you would vote for someone else in the very next post while saying that person is hedging. There is some next level poo poo right there. It gets even worse when he says this a few posts later:

While I don't think that Samfu's posting has been particularly great so far, you are doing the very same thing you are accusing him of doing. Keeping a second vote candidate open so you can plausibly vote for either of them at your leisure. I find this to be pretty scummy and when combined with the whole "I'm not going to defend myself to I could totally move around you merk to You are going down" thing prior to the big post reads so badly that I would vote for you. And just to be clear, I am currently leaning town for merk.

I'm not going to vote for you right now though because there is something else bothering me that I'm going to detail in a different post. This took way longer than it should have to write. :420:

Merk, what do you think of this post, particularly the part I bolded?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It's making a mountain out of a mole hill, or really no hill. Nothing is wrong with having multiple opinions.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It reads as incredibly fake to me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

I don't see much wrong with the content either. Merk is definitely playing against his standard meta of "sink the teeth in and don't let go".

On the other hand, I don't like your calling such attention to your revoking and replacing your vote on him. You don't just want to vote Merk; you want to be seen to be voting for him, perhaps so you can call back to it later. This and the little slap fight the two of you had both feel forced, like you're putting deliberate distance between each other. That's scum behaviour.

Does your thinking Merk and Diq are scum depend on them being scum together? Do you think only Diq or only merk could be scum? Which one, and why?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Mithross posted:

BK backing merk over diqnol when the whole things started with an (admittedly poor, but not scummy) case on BK is interesting. I'm not sure exactly what I think of it, but I am thinking about it.

I'm not backing merk. Diqnol was being scummy and merk wasn't. Casing me isn't scummy.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

BK - Guy is acting weird, put a lot of stock in your very early suspicion of me, seems to randomly call out players for not posting in a style he likes and just seemed a little over-aggressive in his early reads and callouts, especially in a game that is still in its relative infancy. Also his snide remark when I posted yesterday morning that implied there was some swell of suspicion around me I was ignoring when in fact it was one post by you all irked about my VT claim and SSV vote and another post by him going "yeah, that" and that was it totally rubbed me the wrong way. I still don't like it but it's hard to argue against "that's just my style"

I find it interesting that it rubbed you the wrong way. I found the fact that you ignored it scummy so I pointed that out.

The fact that pretty much every point you made in this post involves meta is interesting too. This is irking me. I get irked a lot.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Question to all of you: how can one "be scummy" if one is not scum? Did you mean to say "seemed scummy" when you said this or are you being hyperbolic?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Question to all of you: how can one "be scummy" if one is not scum? Did you mean to say "seemed scummy" when you said this or are you being hyperbolic?

semantics

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Semantics are often important when considering someone's intent. I'm glad this point was lost on you.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

What is the point of this post?

Are you making the case for speaking https://e-prime?

If not, then "be Scummy" labels someone with an adjectivized form of the noun Scum, meaning "characterized by; consisting of; filled with; relating to; resembling Scum". Saying "seemed Scummy" only avoids the definitive labeling, in recognition of the ultimate unknowability of external reality.

I try to phrase everything in E-Prime, as some here may remember.

Anyway, I feel curious about what point you were trying to make.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Epsilon is independently scummy from this post, though, when you realize that he's playing lip service to things he can't talk about, both like he needs to be seen as being involved in all things and like he is following the game. His other two posts after this aren't even really scum hunting but rather trying to argue with foo and making a meaningless observation. I'd vote for him.

Track could be used on Quidnose since he's probably going to go to me and that way you could corroborate, but I would probably use it on someone I thought was scummy like Asiina.

Rarity, do you agree Capps is scummy?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I think this could be more how people speak. I see being scummy to mean acting scummy or making scummy posts, regardless of actual alignment.

Once you cross the veil of life and death, you see that perceptions color our view a great deal. (Because I am a ghost you see.)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lumpen posted:

What is the point of this post?

Are you making the case for speaking https://e-prime?

If not, then "be Scummy" labels someone with an adjectivized form of the noun Scum, meaning "characterized by; consisting of; filled with; relating to; resembling Scum". Saying "seemed Scummy" only avoids the definitive labeling, in recognition of the ultimate unknowability of external reality.

I try to phrase everything in E-Prime, as some here may remember.

Anyway, I feel curious about what point you were trying to make.

Just something I've noticed over the years and I figured we could have a short discussion about it. I certainly consider the verbiage when I make my posts. In Pmom's examples, I was confident enough to say outright someone WAS scum.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:jerkbag:

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Oops I messed up my E-PRIME link...

Change your communication change your life.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's important to say what you mean to say, Pmom.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It reads as incredibly fake to me.

Ehhh, the next level poo poo line is probably over the top; but it was late, I was tired and Men in Black was playing in the background.

The point I was trying to make is that you are calling someone out for hedging while you are doing the same thing.

Samfu had his vote on you and then moved it to Rarity after you disappeared for a while because he found her scummier, but he said that he still finds you scummy. You make a big case on merk and vote for him (again) and then in the very next post in the thread you say that you find Samfu scummy and would vote for him. Those things are functionally identical in my opinion.

And don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending Samfu because he has been a little scummy. I just think it's curious that you think it's scummy for him to hold two opinions on people, but don't see the problem with you doing the same thing.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sometimes it isn't what a person says but how they say it. Look at the way Sam is saying he's suspicious of us; he falls over himself to say he would be willing to vote for me while expressing suspicion of another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two suspicions. He was broadcasting it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sometimes it isn't what a person says but how they say it. Look at the way Sam is saying he's suspicious of us; he falls over himself to say he would be willing to vote for me while expressing suspicion of another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two suspicions. He was broadcasting it.

And so are you with your big case against merk followed immediately by a post saying you'd vote for Samfu. What's the difference?

I agree I'd like to see a bit more effort from Samfu and I don't really agree with him about Rarity, but it feels like he's engaging and trying to piece things together, so I'm willing to give him some rope to see if he hangs himself. I'm doing the same thing with you right now, you seem scummy to me but you are engaging so I'm giving you the benefit of doubt and instead put my vote on someone I felt was scummy but wasn't engaging.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's a tiresome thing when you realize how much empty posturing mafia consists of.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

It's a tiresome thing when you realize how much empty posturing mafia consists of.

I agree. Some of us just want to play mafia. Shaking my head.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
##unvote

That's good enough, TMM. Alright, let's do some readin' and needlin'.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

merk posted:

I think you just skipped the votes. The explanation that you made some realization about his name doesn't ring true to me.

Do you want to revise?

No.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not going to read a hell of a lot tho because Disquol (or whatever the gently caress) is poo poo tho

Immediately jumps on strong-player Merk over literally nothing, stays on him the rest of the game thus far. (Admittedly not that long, but) With him largely just discrediting other people's posts and cases with garbage vocabulary plays and criticizing a lack of content.

So are snipey posts that lie on a bed of non content and pearl grabbing. Why should anyone listen to what you have to think?

Merk, I want you to know that if I felt like I could handle it right now, I could maneuver around you without a sweat. I see what it is you're doing. I'm just not in a good place to do it right now so you're just going to be proven scum through your play.

So is this exchange, which I find great.

I'm also not really interested in doing that as it's the absolute least fun part of mafia so I'm going to go ahead and let you all know that I'll be not defending myself but rather continuing to do my own thing, hope this helps you understand me going forward, cheers

"i'm just gonna afk instead of making myself look bad via defending me lol later nerds just forget me"

Trash. Dudes trying to control the narrative of the game by just hounding one person, but it doesn't work cuz he isn't a charismatic bastard and doesn't seem to really have back up.

##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

Only a pizzaman would disvalue fish so!

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
Ummmmmmmmmmm.

Why am I a nacho?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ljtrigirl posted:

Ummmmmmmmmmm.

Why am I a nacho?

Because you're cheesy? :v:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm not going to read a hell of a lot tho because Disquol (or whatever the gently caress) is poo poo tho

Immediately jumps on strong-player Merk over literally nothing, stays on him the rest of the game thus far. (Admittedly not that long, but) With him largely just discrediting other people's posts and cases with garbage vocabulary plays and criticizing a lack of content.

So is this exchange, which I find great.

"i'm just gonna afk instead of making myself look bad via defending me lol later nerds just forget me"

Trash. Dudes trying to control the narrative of the game by just hounding one person, but it doesn't work cuz he isn't a charismatic bastard and doesn't seem to really have back up.

##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

Only a pizzaman would disvalue fish so!

I'm probably a better person than you by virtue of how I value other people.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm not asking you to explain the reason behind your vote, I've read that post. I'm asking why you put your vote on PMom at that time?

It would make sense to me if there had been something happen that triggered your vote move -- PMom posting, the two of you have a discussion, etc -- but I cant see why at that moment you felt that the PMom vote was stronger than your previous vote on Lumpen.

Oh. It was just another followy vote, and it felt like no one was really listening to my suspicions. idk. I guess I thought that more people might be willing to go PMom than Lumpen because my pings on him were a lot of indefinable ones.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Rarity posted:

It's expressed as a joke but the reasoning behind it is genuine

Can you explain it more then?

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Mithross posted:

I have a few first read impressions I'm going to write out before bed, tomorrow I'll do a second read when I'm more awake, and go from there.

My first read through of the merk/diqnol mess: merk comes out looking better than Diqnol, that big post is a couple decent points built into a wall, and feels blown out of proportion. Especially as it grew out of merks presentation of a point, rather than the point itself.

BK backing merk over diqnol when the whole things started with an (admittedly poor, but not scummy) case on BK is interesting. I'm not sure exactly what I think of it, but I am thinking about it.

Keane is clearly a powerful role, town aligned, and a ghost. I support his existence and hope he chooses to haunt our enemies and amuse our allies.

Also, I hope you like your avatar ljtrygirl. I had it sitting on my desktop waiting for the next time I was in a game where two people had the same avatar. Tremendous Taste almost got it in Chrono Trigger mafia when he and Asiina were potatoes, but someone else changed his avatar first.

Hahahaha. I don't know what it's from, but I like it way better than Garbage Dick.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

*performs an elaborate dance routine while playing a squeezebox accordian*

Gamer is definitely scum.

*continues the merry, ghostly jig*

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

TMMadman posted:

Because you're cheesy? :v:

:P

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I'm feeling kind of miffed that neither Lumpen nor PinterestMom replied to my cases on them.

They won't just go away if you ignore them. I am not that kind of player.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Unfortunately for you, they are both that kind of player. Neither are known for their self defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Unfortunately for you, they are both that kind of player. Neither are known for their self defense.

They're more known for their offense. Offensive odor, that is!

• Locked thread