Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Why the hell would STEM work. I mean none of this poo poo is real, why would there be such a clear way to get out? It's not like it's actual equipmen Jimenez is working with, just a dream of it. That part always bothered me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Presumably Ruvik wants an interface of some sort to work with, and it's just easier to use the same one in the real world and the dream world.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know what the rules of the blind playthrough are, but what is the stance on using a past save file and replaying it to the current point with more ammo?

The way I see it, I should live with my mistakes as long as it doesn't super bone me. Chapter 11 was a little tight on ammo but I made it through no problem, it just required me to be...less than frugal! Well, aside from one section, but that wasn't ammo based!

I've heard the end of the game has some poo poo in store so we'll see! If I get in some dire straits I've got no problem with going back and replaying to get more trap parts/ammo etc.

Puistokemisti posted:

I keep being impressed by dscruffy's insistence on both stunning the enemy and then just watching and whistling while it recovers and his ability to waste all his ammo that stuns the the enemy during first phase so that he has none left for when it gains the instakill attack.
I am a professional! :downs: Also these things are significantly less clear when you're in the heat of the moment.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
What the gently caress is STEM? I feel like I should know this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zain posted:

I think it's the brain machine.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Niggurath posted:

I think it's the brain machine.

I guess but I know of EEGs just haven't heard of STEMS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zain posted:

STEM is Ruvik's brain meld machine, it's not referring to a real piece of medical equipment. You actually find out what the name 'STEM' refers to later - I won't spoil it here -although with the game's crazy overt symbolism it's a little obvious already so I might not even need to.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

STEM is Ruvik's brain meld machine, it's not referring to a real piece of medical equipment. You actually find out what the name 'STEM' refers to later - I won't spoil it here -although with the game's crazy overt symbolism it's a little obvious already so I might not even need to.

I'm sure we saw it, probably has something to do with that brain wrapped in barbed wire. Probably not a real brain but still.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Speaking of going back to earlier levels, I'd love a small bonus video showing what happens if you throw the bottle at the back of mr chainsaw's head in the like first episode :v:

Mainly cause that's what I'd do as the first thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Is it my imagination or does Jimenez look like a younger Anthony Hopkins?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

But yeah, that boss can actually go by super quick if you are stealthy. Pretty much three sniper shots to the eye will send it into the purple hit kill phase and from there it's just popping it with a freeze bolt, and like two more sniper shots to the exposed eye. It can seem super imposing but the game gives you a lot of time to find a new hiding spot when you plug it in the eye, though it takes quite a few times to really try that strategy. Otherwise you gotta do what you did and just plug away wildly at it wondering why it won't die. I think the main issue for you is that you didn't seem to get that is was losing track of you when you got away from it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The random car flipping makes a lot more sense now though.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Nalesh posted:

Speaking of going back to earlier levels, I'd love a small bonus video showing what happens if you throw the bottle at the back of mr chainsaw's head in the like first episode :v:

Mainly cause that's what I'd do as the first thing.

This seems like a game that would play quite different the second time you play it, and know which situations are genuinely dangerous for seb. You'd handle the first chapter quite differently, for one. There are also many situations where you'll empty your clip on a scripted encounter/chase with an unkillable enemy, or enemies that you'd dispose of much easier by using traps or running over them.

I think playing ring around the rosie in the Ruvik mansion is an example of how you can "break" many modern horror games by seeing through their tricks and not behave as you're expected to. That's supposed to be an "oh poo poo" moment where you'll run like hell and seek hiding spaces while depleting your stamina bar and Ruvik teleporting each time you get too far ahead. If you know that he'll just walk after you in the same pace you can just find a large room and lead him around in circles, like scruffy did.

Zain posted:

"Brain STEM", get it?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'd still be pretty scared if it happened in real life, even if I did know that I could escape him by playing ring around the rosie.

Seriously though I've always found it fascinating how hard it is to disconnect yourself from the protagonist in scary games and movies. It feels so weird that we can be so primally affected by something on a flat screen that we know is pretend.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

kjetting posted:

This seems like a game that would play quite different the second time you play it, and know which situations are genuinely dangerous for seb. You'd handle the first chapter quite differently, for one. There are also many situations where you'll empty your clip on a scripted encounter/chase with an unkillable enemy, or enemies that you'd dispose of much easier by using traps or running over them.

On NG+, you are still unarmed in the first chapter.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Today we find ourselves back in the big city from the beginning of the game. It's about as messed up as it was before, and getting worse! This chapter is surprisingly combat heavy, I'd say, considering how the last one went, but maybe it makes sense because we're getting pretty end-game! You can tell it's drat near end game because the MAGNUM has made its appearance.

24: We Built This City/Polsy

Also they have guns now. Machine guns.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
The music you couldn't quite place from the merry-go-round was from Ruvik's 'funhouse' of decapitation, if you may recall.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Also the Merry-Go-Round had a Key Statue on it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

"Is your mask made of metal? Welp time to shoot you in the balls."
--Dscruffy right before he shoots someone in the balls, 2015

I want to guess that the Nurse Seb is seeing is from his brainspace, and she represents his own brain. Ruvik has his sister-mannequins, anyways.

Is it possible to upgrade the magnum? I'd imagine you'd want something superpowered for a final fight. Then again, I don't think you have ammunition for it yet, so maybe that's a moot point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the key statues, you (the nebulous you, as in everybody) should look up a picture guide to the locations of the statues when the LP is over because some of them are in hilariously insane places.

see such examples as: statue inside hay bales that are not on fire in a barn that is on fire, statue inexplicably on top of bird, statue inexplicably stuck to the ceiling of a skylight that you have to shoot out to make the statue fall down so you can shoot the statue and get the key.

Also, I can't remember if this has happened to scruffy or not, but sometimes you will use a key to open a locker and inside will be just another key. Video games

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 16, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Wedemeyer posted:

"Is your mask made of metal? Welp time to shoot you in the balls."
--Dscruffy right before he shoots someone in the balls, 2015

I want to guess that the Nurse Seb is seeing is from his brainspace, and she represents his own brain. Ruvik has his sister-mannequins, anyways.

Is it possible to upgrade the magnum? I'd imagine you'd want something superpowered for a final fight. Then again, I don't think you have ammunition for it yet, so maybe that's a moot point.

Ha ha oh wow yeah I did give that dude two in the sack. Followed by one in the throat. Hopefully that will teach him a valuable lesson about masks.

Yeah, the magnum has the standard list of upgrades except I don't think it has critical chance. As will be demonstrated in the next few videos it really doesn't need critical chance.

CJacobs posted:

Also, I can't remember if this has happened to scruffy or not, but sometimes you will use a key to open a locker and inside will be just another key. Video games

I haven't had keyception happen yet. That's...weird.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

CJacobs posted:

Is it possible for someone to have just one locker left and can't open it because is has a key inside it?

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is it possible for someone to have just one locker left and can't open it because is has a key inside it?

If you are collecting all the keys along the way? I don't think so
If I remember correctly there are more keys in total in the game than there are lockers

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think at this point all the dreams are merging within the machine. That's why it looks like an entire city crumbling. The reality of STEM can't sustain itself much longer.

That's my interpretation anyway.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

I think at this point all the dreams are merging within the machine. That's why it looks like an entire city crumbling. The reality of STEM can't sustain itself much longer.

That's my interpretation anyway.

I'll admit I haven't put much thought into the setpieces we're going through and how they relate to the story's breaking down but let's see what I've got. I can dig the whole city crumbling but it was also wrecking itself at the start of the game. It seems like things have been going on for a long while (probably because I've been playing the game for 10 hours) but there's also no clear indication of how much time has passed. Could be we're arriving here ever-so-shortly after the original city escape in the ambulance.

The monsters don't seem to be anything Silent Hill level deep. Some of them are pretty obvious, we seem to be inside Ruvik's head so we've got a lot of his tragedy going on. He's got something I don't understand yet for mannequins and masks. Maybe the details with those will come clear later? The haunted are probably based on the villagers who burned the barn, same as blood lady who got burned. Why the villagers are covered in barbed wire and why blood lady is...well, blood lady, I'm not so sure. Maybe Ruvik's figured out how to weaponize his fears, so to speak?

Of course the monsters I don't have any explanation for are chainsaw guy, the keeper, the lumbering harpoon arm guys, or giant fuckoff eyeball monster. Or water snake, I suppose. Of course the other question is how much of this is bleeding over into the real world. SWAT jerks with machine guns could be symbolic of the real world, unless Ruvik had experience with these jerks somewhere in his past. There could be the mysterious first incident at Beacon Mental Hospital. Come to think of it, there was an incident, and Leslie was stated to have been the only person to have escaped from Ruvik before. Maybe Leslie is a survivor of the Beacon Mental Incident?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The following are my own interpretations based on what you've played through, I personally have never played the game and probably won't ever do so as I'm not a huge fan of actually playing horror/thriller/survival style games.

I'd suggest the mannequins and masks have been given an explanation. Both are to do with the fire and the loss of his sister. Specifically the mannequins are his desire to see his sister whole but anything he recreates of her has no personality because he can't empathise like her, they're literally blank slates that he cannot put a personality to because he himself has no clue how other people actually think, he knows the science stuff but not the actual emotional stuff. The masks are him hiding his own disfigurement which is the reason his father locked him up downstairs and thus probably a great personal shame that he's been taught to hide. Think Phantom of the Opera but with burns instead of disfigurement.

On Blood Lady and fire it's not Ruvik who is weaponising his fears it's you. She's a mental recreation of his sister who is his ultimate protector, so of course his mental representation cannot be killed and will defend him against everything, on the other hand fire is his greatest fear which explains neatly why it's effective against everything.

If this is a collective consciousness with Ruvik as the head and you as the latest addition what happened to all the others added, that could be a nice reason for the other larger monsters, they're all shaped by the other people that have faded into Ruvik but still exist enough to become another monster in the machine. As such I suspect only Ruvik and Blood Lady are completely his own creation and every other monster has a bit of someone else in it so to speak.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

I'll admit I haven't put much thought into the setpieces we're going through and how they relate to the story's breaking down but let's see what I've got. I can dig the whole city crumbling but it was also wrecking itself at the start of the game. It seems like things have been going on for a long while (probably because I've been playing the game for 10 hours) but there's also no clear indication of how much time has passed. Could be we're arriving here ever-so-shortly after the original city escape in the ambulance.

The monsters don't seem to be anything Silent Hill level deep. Some of them are pretty obvious, we seem to be inside Ruvik's head so we've got a lot of his tragedy going on. He's got something I don't understand yet for mannequins and masks. Maybe the details with those will come clear later? The haunted are probably based on the villagers who burned the barn, same as blood lady who got burned. Why the villagers are covered in barbed wire and why blood lady is...well, blood lady, I'm not so sure. Maybe Ruvik's figured out how to weaponize his fears, so to speak?

Of course the monsters I don't have any explanation for are chainsaw guy, the keeper, the lumbering harpoon arm guys, or giant fuckoff eyeball monster. Or water snake, I suppose. Of course the other question is how much of this is bleeding over into the real world. SWAT jerks with machine guns could be symbolic of the real world, unless Ruvik had experience with these jerks somewhere in his past. There could be the mysterious first incident at Beacon Mental Hospital. Come to think of it, there was an incident, and Leslie was stated to have been the only person to have escaped from Ruvik before. Maybe Leslie is a survivor of the Beacon Mental Incident?
Well if it makes you feel any better, they all do have explanations and some of them are pretty cool (especially when you see how large the model is for the water snake thingy). Thankfully you don't need to do anything special to get the model viewer and it's pretty sweet to see how much work they put into it since you normally don't get the chance with everything swatting you in the face.

Also, that Ruvik clone you fought can also trigger any nearby enemies to die. So in that fight you had with the first one, if you had killed it before any of the other enemies then all the other ones would have fallen dead leaving behind some easy items. Though I did like that you could also just light them on fire since they weren't triggered.

VVVVV
Ya know, I don't even remember that. Was it just an optional area?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 17, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Ruvik Clone is what I was talking about earlier when I was griping about a late-game enemy appearing all the way back in the village of Chapter 3 where you don't have the agony crossbow or shotgun yet (both are found in the level, though). The Ruvik Clone is patrolling the center-back area of the village and he does that claws-out-of-the-ground attack at you from way far away and it always kills in one hit. That is ridiculously bullshit for that early in the game when you don't even have any good weapons yet. That is why the game sucks on any difficulty level above Survival.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Niggurath posted:

VVVVV
Ya know, I don't even remember that. Was it just an optional area?

No, it's standing like right in the middle of the town. It doesn't even get distracted when Jiminez draws away all the guys, it just stands there directly in your way to be like "yup, this is hard mode alright".

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll bet you thought this might be a calm chapter after all the mess last chapter.

Joke's on you, this is the endgame. IT'S TIME TO FIGHT. A LOT.

25: A Quick Tram Ride/Polsy

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh wow, rail shooting at 3 mph? That sounds fun. I keep wanting Seb to jump into a pit, just to have a looksey. Lord knows there'd be an angel statue down there.

Assuming it was Ruvik, why the hell would he kill the Castellano's kid? To warn them off? I figured he'd have a soft spot for young women, and not in a creepy way.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I love that baddie Vending Machine section.

*E* Speaking of vending machines, you didn't examine them! :(

IronSaber fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 19, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

For all the critiques of this game, it has to be said that it does maintain the same kind of 'low-ammo terror-building' pressure that the start of R.E. 4 had, at least with the enemies, if not the locations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

IronSaber posted:

I love that baddie Vending Machine section.

I get to them in chapter 13! No worries! ;)

Samovar posted:

For all the critiques of this game, it has to be said that it does maintain the same kind of 'low-ammo terror-building' pressure that the start of R.E. 4 had, at least with the enemies, if not the locations.

Mostly the game seems to go through lulls, or maybe call them rebuilding sections. I'd almost say it rewards you for judicious ammo use but that's not entirely accurate. The game gives you the ammo you need to succeed, and then some. It's just up to you to not hoard your bigger calibers. Otherwise you'll make yourself struggle through some parts when you could have had a much easier time. There's still a lot of enemies without jerk masks that can be headpopped easily, why would I waste 6-7 pistol shots when one magnum round will do on a metal masked, armored vest wearing, machine gun toting jerk?

The game throws enough ammo at you for all of your weapons to have them all see use. It just tends to throw tons of trap parts at you when you've got a boss coming up.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

IronSaber posted:

That made me sad, too :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Samovar posted:

But once you got comfortable with RE4's combat system, it was all "shot to the head or kneecaps to stun, then suplex", all the time. I was swimming in ammo on my second playthrough.

Then I got the infinite ammo Chicago Typewriter and all tactics went flying out the window :black101:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Then I got the infinite ammo Chicago Typewriter and all tactics went flying out the window :black101:

The Chicago Typewriter is the ultimate RE catharsis weapon. Just being able to go gently caress YOU to all the enemies that made your first run difficult is incredibly rewarding.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Man, I hated that cage area so much if only because the last two guys with machine guns kept glitching out in an odd way. Like the door would pop open for a split second allowing them enough time to fire but not allowing me enough time to do anything. I ended up barely having enough time to chuck a grenade under the door and even that just knocked them down....which made me realize how underwhelmed I was with the grenades in the game. Especially in comparison to the explosive bolts or hell, just head shotting a dude.

Also I'm super glad to see some sweet magnum action; I don't know why I avoided that gun like the plague when I played but it looks super satisfying to use.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

IronSaber posted:

The Chicago Typewriter is the ultimate RE catharsis weapon. Just being able to go gently caress YOU to all the enemies that made your first run difficult is incredibly rewarding.

Especially if you were wearing his smooth gangster outfit while you were doing it. As if tearing them apart with a tommy gun wasn't enough, you get to style on them whenever you reloaded your gun. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
In this episode I am dumb.

26: Explosive Consequences/Polsy

I cut out about 15 minutes of fumbling around in the water near the start because it's sort of a crap area and it wasn't fun to watch. It also wasn't fun to play. Took a lot of trial and error.

Niggurath posted:

Man, I hated that cage area so much if only because the last two guys with machine guns kept glitching out in an odd way. Like the door would pop open for a split second allowing them enough time to fire but not allowing me enough time to do anything. I ended up barely having enough time to chuck a grenade under the door and even that just knocked them down....which made me realize how underwhelmed I was with the grenades in the game. Especially in comparison to the explosive bolts or hell, just head shotting a dude.

Also I'm super glad to see some sweet magnum action; I don't know why I avoided that gun like the plague when I played but it looks super satisfying to use.

The grenades are definitely disappointing. They function better as a "I need space to breathe" button, when you remember you have them. Magnum is good stuff though.

KozmoNaut posted:

But once you got comfortable with RE4's combat system, it was all "shot to the head or kneecaps to stun, then suplex", all the time. I was swimming in ammo on my second playthrough.

Pretty much this. RE4 starts off on pretty strong ground with a lack of ammo and tension but since you have so much inventory space even to start with you're not so worried about lack of storage. Consider also that there are guns like the Red9 that are (objectively :colbert:) heads and tails above the rest and you can stock up on pistol ammo and breeze through a lot of fights, aside from maybe boss fights.

This game limits your stock enough until maybe new game+ where you've got everything upgraded that you're forced to use different weapons. Pistol is great for regular mooks once the critical chance is fully upgraded but that requires some fine aiming too. Shotgun is great and standard crowd control. Crossbow is great but trap parts tend to come in waves, you've either got none or you've got 20. Hunting rifle is great for unsuspecting enemies or long range but the aim sway is too real, maybe it gets reduced with accuracy points. Magnum is...a magnum! Can't beat it!

• Locked thread