Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Here's my response: your case on me is bad and won't go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

Does your thinking Merk and Diq are scum depend on them being scum together? Do you think only Diq or only merk could be scum? Which one, and why?

Hard to say, my feeling is based on one or maybe two interactions. I would say that it's more likely that both of them are scum than neither of them, and if only one of them is scum it's probably Diqnol because he's the one forcing it.

Merk is dangerous as scum in the late game if he's not under suspicion because he's good at rallying Town around, but he's also effective as Town. I'd rather keep him around for now, so long as we don't all jump on his bandwagons.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Also, as an expert in using vitriol to dominate other players in mafia games, might I suggest you focus more on saying something constructively mean instead of attacking someone's character? You'll find you come off as far less of a piece of poo poo.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here's my response: your case on me is bad and won't go anywhere.

This is such a scum response because it's solely geared around trying to discredit it, not understand it or me. When town has a "bad case" raised against them, they fight it and try to figure out if the person doing it is good or evil. You're just trying to ignore and undermine it.

#nailedit

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Also, as an expert in using vitriol to dominate other players in mafia games, might I suggest you focus more on saying something constructively mean instead of attacking someone's character? You'll find you come off as far less of a piece of poo poo.

You are the most average poster I know.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ljtrigirl posted:

This is such a scum response because it's solely geared around trying to discredit it, not understand it or me. When town has a "bad case" raised against them, they fight it and try to figure out if the person doing it is good or evil. You're just trying to ignore and undermine it.

#nailedit

merk and f_v have been doing a good job of questioning your motivations for voting me. I'm happy to let them do it instead of me.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

You are the most average poster I know.

Explain.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think Diq is scum. That case doesn't sound believable. I was leaning towards him puffing up nothing because of pride, but his response to my question didn't win me over.

##unvote; ##vote diqnol

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Nobody is more mean than you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Nobody is more mean than you.

Oh. My. God.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

I think Diq is scum. That case doesn't sound believable. I was leaning towards him puffing up nothing because of pride, but his response to my question didn't win me over.

##unvote; ##vote diqnol

Ready to admit your case on BK is bad yet?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

Hard to say, my feeling is based on one or maybe two interactions. I would say that it's more likely that both of them are scum than neither of them, and if only one of them is scum it's probably Diqnol because he's the one forcing it.
Why does Diqnol get dinged for forcing the confrontation when merk is the one who started the bluster auction with

merk posted:

Diqnol is scum in this game. I will put every effort I have to convince the thread at every turn to get him lynched. Good luck, Diqnol.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Merk has two advantages inherently against me: He is considered by many as useful so he gets extra longevity for that alone AND I am a rude dude who doesn't care to scale back vitriol at any time, making me significantly easier to get people to vote for me. If these things were not in play, I imagine I'd be in a better situation.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Merk has two advantages inherently against me: He is considered by many as useful so he gets extra longevity for that alone AND I am a rude dude who doesn't care to scale back vitriol at any time, making it significantly easier to get people to vote for me. If these things were not in play, I imagine I'd be in a better situation.

mafia edit, too many me's

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I don't think Diqnol or Merk are scum right now. I think Gamer is worse.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

*hinkes bicycle horn in your face, runs away on ghostly floppy shoes*

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There's this cool technique a person can do where they make a lot of noise on d1 and draw a lot of attention and votes to themselves and by doing so they have the ability to ignore a lot of d1's posts and still end up getting decent reads well thats my story bye

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CCKeane posted:

well

you're rude

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm not going to read a hell of a lot tho because Disquol (or whatever the gently caress) is poo poo tho

Immediately jumps on strong-player Merk over literally nothing,

~i don't like how one of his criticisms of diq is that he's casing a "strong-player"~

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ready to admit your case on BK is bad yet?

Nope

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh, well, actually, it is. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

I find it interesting that it rubbed you the wrong way. I found the fact that you ignored it scummy so I pointed that out.

The fact that pretty much every point you made in this post involves meta is interesting too. This is irking me. I get irked a lot.

This irked me too. I always feel meta defences are the last resort when you've run out of reasonable points.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

I'm feeling kind of miffed that neither Lumpen nor PinterestMom replied to my cases on them.

They won't just go away if you ignore them. I am not that kind of player.
I don't tend to try to "defend" myself, as a policy.
The only productive "defense" in Mafia is to catch a Scum. Bickering about incorrect cases on oneself is pointless.

If a Scum is casing me, obviously they are making a fake case and you can't "talk someone out" of a fake vote. I can only hope that it will be unpersuasive due to being fake, or become obviously wrong when catching Scum makes me clearly Town as the game progresses. If a Scum is targeting me and gets the first vote down, fighting back with an OMGUS is often counterproductive.

If a fellow Townie is making a sincere but mistaken case, I recognize that any effort to talk them out of it from someone they are suspicious of will likely case them to dig in and double down, which doesn't help Town win.

In your case, I feel that you're sincere but mistaken, and I lean Town on you. You are barking up the wrong tree, and I hope you'll re-read my posts and reconsider your viewpoint. I don't see any points where I feel I can explain or clarify for you. I meant what I said about the Mod enagging with people in the thread and how it affects my perception of their alignment. My issue with Mod interference is a Known Thing. I also think that the calls I made there have been largely supported by sibsequent posting, especially Quid Pro Quo reads very Town to me. It'll be interesting when the game is over to see if my theory on the Mod post was right, and having it on the record is important to me for smugneas purposes.

My strategy is to keep cvvalling out Scumposts as I see 'em, and contrtibute to flipping a Scum today, and if you're indeed Town, you can feel reassured.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm going to do a report card for everyone in this thread if someone will remind me. On it will be how many times someone was right and how many times they were wrong, culminating in a letter grade. Keane will doubtlessly get a B-.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sometimes it isn't what a person says but how they say it. Look at the way Sam is saying he's suspicious of us; he falls over himself to say he would be willing to vote for me while expressing suspicion of another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two suspicions. He was broadcasting it.

I'm in agreement with diqnol on this point. Mafia only works as a game if people are willing to consider more than one option. Right now there are 3 people I'd be willing to vote (Hal, trigirl, Lumpen, if you're wondering)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i think it'd be useful if everybody provided the thread with a list of people they'd vote for

ideally, that list would be ranked

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ljtrigirl posted:

Can you explain it more then?

Pretty sure I already did :D What did you think?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think it'd be useful if everybody provided the thread with a list of people they'd vote for

lol took me a second

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

##unvote; ##vote diqnol

You're only just deciding he's scum now?

merk posted:

Diqnol is scum in this game. I will put every effort I have to convince the thread at every turn to get him lynched. Good luck, Diqnol.

merk posted:

Yeah, I'm locked in.

HMMMMMMMMMM

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I translated that in my mind as "Oh, so you are going to keep voting for me? Poor kid. I guess I have to kill him."

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Pinterest Mom posted:

I usually don't List early in big games, but I feel like I have a pretty good handle on this game and strong working hypothesis here, and I'm really tempted.

Off the top of my head without doing the full List process and analysis, I feel inclined to lynch Diqnol, Samfucious, or GameroftheGame today.

A LumpenList may be incoming when my baby takes his afternoon nap. I feel like there are Scum among the lurkers I haven't fully taken into into consideration.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lumpen, I would like you to concisely state why you find me to be scum. Use as few words as possible and bring to light the content you dislike and exactly why rather than speaking in generalities. This may be a challenge.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Lumpen, I would like you to concisely state why you find me to be scum. Use as few words as possible and bring to light the content you dislike and exactly why rather than speaking in generalities. This may be a challenge.
Insincere.
OMGUS.
Flailing.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Where am I insincere?
Why do you think it is I using OMGUS instead of merk, the person who voted me after I voted him?
Where and how am I flailing?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

*performs an elaborate dance routine while playing a squeezebox accordian*

Gamer is definitely scum.

*continues the merry, ghostly jig*

CCKeane posted:

Can you expand on this? As the person Gamer threatened with his vote, I didn't find the play particularly scummy. He wanted some effort from me and rightly so because I'd been posting a lot of poo poo, but clearly stated he'd remove it after I put in that effort. I've put in the effort and he felt it was good enough to hold up his side of the agreement. So it seems like he's playing fair here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rarity posted:

You're only just deciding he's scum now?

HMMMMMMMMMM

He made a huge case. I analyzed that case to see if it changed my read.

It's day 1. Reads are fluid.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Where am I insincere?
Why do you think it is I using OMGUS instead of merk, the person who voted me after I voted him?
Where and how am I flailing?
I would prefer to flip you than slapfight with you, but here goes.

I already posted about your merk case. It struck me as fake and insincere as I said. Especially tied with the posturing beforehand capped off with the "You. Are. Going. Down."
Your aggression on merk seems more motivated by feeling threatened by him exposing you as Scum than any plausible real suspicion of him being Scum (which I strongly feel he is not).
You're flailing all over the place with every post. It looks like you are feeling the heat and getting desperate, above and beyond the actual pressure and votes youre getting. That's Scumsign, in my experience.

And just for the record, what's your read on me right now, Diqnol?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If it helps right before I made the going down post I had gotten in a really bad fight with someone close to me and I was really loving angry in general, so if anything, it was the realest thing I've posted in this thread. But of course you have no reason to believe that until the game is over.

I was voting for merk before he was voting for me. My case explains my issues with merk. The theory you're pushing that I'm scared of merk is hilarious. I once kept merk alive for an entire game as scum just to prove I could. I did, in fact, win that game and survived to the end.

I always respond to posts about me. Ask anyone.

You're making these terrible assumptions and acting as though they are fact without any basis in reality, I feel, but I have seen you make such arguments on both sides of the pond. The fact is that I am trying to feel you out still. Gun to my head? Scum.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'm not going to read a hell of a lot tho because Disquol (or whatever the gently caress) is poo poo tho

Immediately jumps on strong-player Merk over literally nothing, stays on him the rest of the game thus far. (Admittedly not that long, but) With him largely just discrediting other people's posts and cases with garbage vocabulary plays and criticizing a lack of content.

So is this exchange, which I find great.

"i'm just gonna afk instead of making myself look bad via defending me lol later nerds just forget me"

Trash. Dudes trying to control the narrative of the game by just hounding one person, but it doesn't work cuz he isn't a charismatic bastard and doesn't seem to really have back up.

##vote GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE

Only a pizzaman would disvalue fish so!

TMMadman posted:

Can you expand on this? As the person Gamer threatened with his vote, I didn't find the play particularly scummy. He wanted some effort from me and rightly so because I'd been posting a lot of poo poo, but clearly stated he'd remove it after I put in that effort. I've put in the effort and he felt it was good enough to hold up his side of the agreement. So it seems like he's playing fair here.

*appears in the summoning circle TMMadmab has crafted*

This post solidified Gamer in my mind, it is a reach case at best and much of it seems predicated on Diqnol going after merk.

The post that originally drew my ectoplasam toward gamer were the posts where he called you townie and then laid a vote on you anyway. It is a nonsense move that, regardless of how you feel about it and even how it turned out, was still a move that seemed geared toward heavy hedging. If you picked up momentum at any point he can leave his vote there, say "oh he is really scummy" and not look bad for it.

If you don't think someone is scum you shouldn't vote them, and that is what gamer did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk, i remember you once said that you would not stop voting me until you died and I can't remember if you were town or scum that game. Do you remember? Don't lie, please.

• Locked thread